Benefits of exercise

For chatting about non-political topics.

Hot topic: The perils of exercise, Lapidary, food, gardening, brewing & Gallipoli/Anzac Day.

Special feature: WWIi Operation Manna/Chowhound.

Open to guest posting.

Moderator: johnsmith

Forum rules
The rules for this board are in the Charter of Moderation. Off Topic is for fairly serious discussion of things other than politics and current affair.

Re: Benefits of exercise

Postby Sprintcyclist » 22 Jul 2018, 01:42

HBS Guy wrote:Very true! Good idea!

Here is a crafty idea, we are itching for a bike ride.
But tomorrow morning is very cold, we are recovering from colds.
So we can walk to the local cafe via the cycling/walking track that runs beside the creek we normally ride on .

Only it is a boring 2 KM walk on the road to get from here to the track. The a boring 2 KM walk on the road to get from the track back to here.
The walk will be too long overall.
So I might drive to the beginning of the track, then we have a very nice 2km walk off the road by a creek to the cafe and a very nice 2km walk off the road by a creek to the car on the way back.

Now there is using my noggin.
Sprintcyclist
Pitbull terrier

spamone: Animal

Postby HBS Guy » 22 Jul 2018, 06:43

Yup, get the boring bit over quickly.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby dissilymordentroge » 19 Oct 2018, 10:44

Bongalong wrote:
HBS Guy wrote:But IQ is happy, now Dominos have $5 pizzas he can afford garlic bread at times. :roll :bgrin

I can't afford garlic bread: but I can afford a bit of salami from woolies to make it a better store bought pizza!

Can’t afford garlic bread? Buy day old rolls, cut in half and smother with fresh garlic blended with oil. Close halves together and paint outside with milk.
Bake in a moderate oven for 5 mins.
The Human Race is insane.
dissilymordentroge
Jack Russell

Postby dissilymordentroge » 19 Oct 2018, 10:58

The dangers of long distance running.
At school I hated team sports always seeing tham as moulding young men’s brains in preparation for war. So I took to individual athletic sports, running, swimming & cycling. I was successf at all three wining state and national youth championships which pissed off fellow students as I was an obvious little fairy. Later in life I became addicted to long distance running ( it is an addiction once the endorphins get hold of you, believe me). Sadly nobody, including my trainer, ever warned me of the dangers . In my mid 50’s one day walking up a hill my knees suddenly gave out on me so badly I had to crawl home. The first medico I consulted took one look at my knee X-rays an commented ‘So, you’ve done a lot of running’ My blood ran cold when he informed me the particular kind of wear he noticed was characteristic of the effects of distance running indulged in too often over too long a period.
I’ve had two total knee replacements but am still banned from running. I can cycle but have been warned if I come off the bike and damage my artificial knees they may not be able to repair them. So, I'm restricted to swimming and careful gym work. Even now decades later when I spot runners I’m jealous as hell. I’ve found nothing to replace it.
Why is it the dangers inherent in distance running are usaully kept a big secret ?
dissilymordentroge
Jack Russell

Postby HBS Guy » 19 Oct 2018, 11:10

No idea. Always thought so much running would injure joints but thought it might be the ankles that went.

Some idea of what you are going through: have a stainless steel hip and arthritis has started in my shoulders.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby dissilymordentroge » 19 Oct 2018, 13:03

HBS Guy wrote:No idea. Always thought so much running would injure joints but thought it might be the ankles that went.

Some idea of what you are going through: have a stainless steel hip and arthritis has started in my shoulders.

I really can’t complain given the first class medical care I’ve had since learning my knees were stuffed. If I’d been somewhere like the US without a Gov’t financed health system I’d probably be dead unless I was very rich.
It always shocks me when Americans claim anything like taxpayer financed medicine is going to unleash communism.
dissilymordentroge
Jack Russell

Postby HBS Guy » 19 Oct 2018, 13:04

LOVE your new avatar! LOL!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby Texan » 22 Oct 2018, 10:06

I need to start walking, if the rain will quit. A lap around my neighborhood is about 1 km. I sometimes install heavy batteries all day at work and I am too tired to walk. The batteries typically weigh 100 lb (45kg?) and we install up to 200 in a day by hand. My joints are feeling it because I am overweight. I'm strong as an ox, but my joints don't like me. I should get busy.

HBS Guy - My SIL has a 1953 Ford 9N tractor. Her grandfather bought it new back when he was farming cotton. My FIL used it to plow his garden until he turned 85. My SIL has had it restored and I need to go see it. Thanks for the reminder.
There ain't no ticks like poly-ticks. Bloodsuckers all. - Davy Crockett
Texan
Feral cat

Postby Aussie » 22 Oct 2018, 10:14

That tractor in Monk's (aka HBS Guy) avatar is a toy. He likes that sort of stuff.
Aussie
Minister for Foreign Affairs

Postby Sprintcyclist » 22 Oct 2018, 10:17

Texan wrote:I need to start walking, if the rain will quit. A lap around my neighborhood is about 1 km. I sometimes install heavy batteries all day at work and I am too tired to walk. The batteries typically weigh 100 lb (45kg?) and we install up to 200 in a day by hand. My joints are feeling it because I am overweight. I'm strong as an ox, but my joints don't like me. I should get busy.

HBS Guy - My SIL has a 1953 Ford 9N tractor. Her grandfather bought it new back when he was farming cotton. My FIL used it to plow his garden until he turned 85. My SIL has had it restored and I need to go see it. Thanks for the reminder.

I do lots of yoga.

It is very good for me.
Sprintcyclist
Pitbull terrier

Postby HBS Guy » 22 Oct 2018, 13:16

Aussie wrote:That tractor in Monk's (aka HBS Guy) avatar is a toy. He likes that sort of stuff.

Since I am not (yet) in my second childhood I prefer to call them model cars/trucks/ag machinery.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 22 Oct 2018, 13:23

Texan wrote:I need to start walking, if the rain will quit. A lap around my neighborhood is about 1 km. I sometimes install heavy batteries all day at work and I am too tired to walk. The batteries typically weigh 100 lb (45kg?) and we install up to 200 in a day by hand. My joints are feeling it because I am overweight. I'm strong as an ox, but my joints don't like me. I should get busy.

Glad it reminded you. That would be some tractor to see working!

I have no idea why I bought the model cars. Haven’t bought many lately but would like a BuddyL model or two, especially made in the US. Have one BuddyL car, a bashed up utility (truck) made in Hong Kong. The back story to the BuddyL is rather nice.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby ahmed11 » 22 Oct 2018, 20:04

Thats some thoughtful info
ahmed11
Kitten

Previous

Return to Off Topic