Sandwiches

Casual chatting. Guest posting allowed.

Welcome to the various guests visiting here. Why not register? The real PA—a home away from home when OzPol is down.

Hot topic: Handmaid’s Tale

Just post here—don’t need to join.

Moderator: johnsmith

Forum rules
The rules for this board are in the Charter of Moderation. Sand Pit is for having fun. Guest posting is allowed here.

Sandwiches

Postby HBS Guy » 26 Jun 2018, 12:01

Not really a Food topic.

I remember in 1957 our ship bringing us from Holland, former troopship ss Waterman (means same in English as in Dutch) docked in Fremantle and we left the ship for a while. Went into a cafe and Mum asked for sandwiches and milk for me and my sis (aged 10 & 6 respectively.) When the sandwiches were served Mum said “Oh yes, they do closed sandwiches here!” and the bloke behind the counter got this look on his face :bgrin

When I went back to Holland in 1978 my rellies gave me a sandwich: open sandwich plus a knife and fork. They knew about closed sandwiches here too and wanted to see how I did. No probs. Hmmmm I do miss the lovely rolls you can get there, fluffy and light, delicious with salami or ham. Or the crusty roll I ate in the Hotel du Norde in Paris, man that was unreal! In Italy, Austria there was lovely bread but I don’t remember rolls.

My rellies also gave me a salted herring. As a kid I would eat one in a minute. Took me two or three hours to eat that one, talk about rich!

Does anyone here ever do open sandwiches to be eaten by knife and fork?
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Re: Sandwiches

Postby Squire » 26 Jun 2018, 13:48

Be careful what you wish for. If open sandwiches were sold in Australia they would charge you at least double the price of a standard sandwich.

It would require a licensed professional sandwich engineer to lift the top piece of bread off a traditional sandwich and carefully and environmentally dispose of it.

Total fee, $200 plus traveling time.
Squire
Irish wolfhound

spamone: Animal

Return to Sand Pit