Well, THAT was a shock to the system

Casual chatting. Guest posting allowed.

A big welcome to all the guests sitting here reading to go back and ponder! Why not post?

Hot topic: Handmaid’s Tale

Just post here—don’t need to join.

Moderator: johnsmith

Forum rules
The rules for this board are in the Charter of Moderation. Sand Pit is for having fun. Guest posting is allowed here.

Re: Well, THAT was a shock to the system

Postby HBS Guy » 12 Apr 2018, 17:42

Photos.

1. The LOVERLY clay “soil”

2. Back has been rotary hoed and 26 bags of gypsum spread Mar 2017. I think he missed a strip! Yup, same cracks also at the extreme back of the block. To improve/provide drainage 5 deep rips were made across the back of the block and one down the length of the block. Measuring and pegging out where the deep rips are/should be and where the trees will go:

You can see the three cider apple strips and the two dwarf cherry/pear/apple trees will go. Two strings can be seen and the wide yellow line is my 30m measuring tape. You can also see the short star droppers marking the point a tree will go.

3. The materials used, mainly coarse sand and compost guarded by a fierce dog :roll

4. After spreading gypsum on the surface of the soil sand started being carted and dumped:
Mounds of sand were dumped, raked, gypsum spread then compost dumped on top, raked and gyspsum spread

5. Occasionally, a cleansing ale was taken, purely medicinally, of course!

6. The mounds were dug, bringing up the heavy soil to the surface (where it was, of course, spread with gypsum, then a handful each of blood and bone and potassium sulphate were spread with a double handful of rock minerals, then a bag of sheep shit poured over the top. Pink bag is gypsum, green bag is sheep shit.
Abbott & Co are going to cause the mother and father of all recessions—be prepared!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby Aussie » 12 Apr 2018, 17:51

That 'wude person' is an arsehole! Well, it seems you did actually work down there, and not just have a bludge!

:bike
Aussie
Hero of the Soviet Union

Postby mothra » 12 Apr 2018, 17:53

Nice job Monk! You must be well pleased with yourself.
mothra
Duck

spamone: Animal

Postby johnsmith » 12 Apr 2018, 18:09

Aussie wrote:That 'wude person' is an arsehole!

Gee, I wonder who that was :smack
FD.
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.
johnsmith
Warthog

Postby HBS Guy » 12 Apr 2018, 18:19

Yes, am pleased with myself. Miketrees thinks I have spaced the trees a bit far apart but if so, too late to do anything about it. I think light can get through to all the trees.
Abbott & Co are going to cause the mother and father of all recessions—be prepared!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby johnsmith » 12 Apr 2018, 18:22

HBS Guy wrote:Miketrees thinks I have spaced the trees a bit far apart but if so, too late to do anything about it.

I don't think so. At least not based on what I see on the photos, distances can be deceptive. Once they're fully grown they look like they'll be touching each other anyway.

In the interest of full disclosure, I should probably mention that just about every plant I've ever planted has died
FD.
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.
johnsmith
Warthog

Postby HBS Guy » 12 Apr 2018, 18:59

I will do what I can to have the branches on the cider apple trees as close to horizontal as possible, reducing the actual spacing of trees within and between rows. Horizontal branches increase the yield of apples.

The dwarf apple and pear trees will be espaliered, grown vertical (trunk) and horizontal (branches).

Enough space to work around the trees, suppressing grass and weeds etc.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 13 Apr 2018, 09:33

The three cider apple tree rows are 5m apart, 4.6m distance between trees. Canopies will be 3.5–4m wide.

Seems similar to distances I have seen in photos of apple orchards.

Planting at 2.3m centres will certainly present a wall of foliage to foraging/pollinating bees. I have asked the cider group about the closer spacing, see what they say.

The cherry/eating-cooking apples/perry pears are dwarf trees and will be grown at 1m spacing with one tree espaliered at 1200 and 1500 (maybe 1800) the next tree at 1400, 1700 (maybe 2200) then back to 1200/1500 etc for nice growing-in-to-each-other aiding pollination. Normally espaliered trees are at 2m intervals but I am greedy.

Espaliered apple trees, for illustration of the concept:

Cherry trees (most other fruit trees apart from apples and pears) cannot be espaliered horizontally but diagonally:
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 19 Apr 2018, 11:51

I have bought a package of Empathy RHS 150g Rootgrow Mycorrhizal Fungi. These fungi get inside the tree roots and help them assimilate nutrients and water from the soil.

I am looking at rolls of weedmat at the moment, familiarise myself with widths, lengths and weight (g/sqm, 85gsm seems to be a minimum) and prices and be able to snap up a real bargain. Will see what Bunnings has and see if there are places supplying commercial orchardists.

Be looking at mulches soon. Need acid mulch because my soil is actually alkaline, not acid as I thought looking at soil maps. Will add a bit more pot. sulphate at planting time too.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 22 Apr 2018, 08:55

Ferry and accommodation booked for next trip. Leave on 5th return on 16th September.

The B&B I had last time I have booked again, was alright, clean and comfortable enough—very limited kitchen main drawback.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 23 Apr 2018, 12:20

Hmmm I did a bit more looking at apple orchards. Seems there is a mix, with some seemingly planted as close as Mike suggested (talk gardening and Mike is very sensible) and some spaced further apart. I think too dense a planting and trees will suffer from lack of light.

Will try to make branches more horizontal then along each row there will be almost a solid mass of blossoms for the bees to visit. Will keep the spaces between the rows open so the sun can shine down them.

Need to buy a secateur and prune the trees as I plant them—reduce the number of leaves and create the open vase shape. Will buy a cheapy, leave it in the garden shed. Eventually will need a decent secateurs.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 23 Apr 2018, 14:58

mothra wrote:
johnsmith wrote:
HBS Guy wrote:I had to pull over for a “power nap” which did work, surprisingly.

power naps work great .... even a 2 minute nap in the afternoon makes a huge difference for me. I don't often get more than that anyway.

I can't do it. I always wake up with this taste in mouth. Don't like it. Mouthwash doesn't even sort it.

Yeah, where my sister can happily sleep in the afternoon I always woke with a bit of a headache etc. 2 or 10 minutes is not long enough for that to happen.

With the bloody arthritis I sometimes take afternoon naps and wake up without the headache/mouth like the bottom of a budgie cage etc. Hip hurts if I stand too long. So I decided I will cook and eat main meal in the afternoon, have a light supper before bed—have more oomph in the day. Nice little dishwasher to do the dishes so I don’t have stand there doing them.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 23 Apr 2018, 15:41

Because I am moving to planting the bloody trees am doing some reading up beforehand.

With apples and cherries you need a certain amount of chill hours to be sure the trees will set blossoms.

Read up about one way to calculate chill hours: http://www.plantnet.com.au/plantnet-chill-guide/

• Low chill areas = <150 - 450 chill units. You can only grow low chill varieties in low chill areas.
• Medium chill areas = 450 – 650 chill units. You can generally grow all low and
medium chill fruit varieties providing low chill plants are protected from late spring frosts.
• High chill areas = >650+ chill units. You can generally grow all low, medium and high chill fruit varieties providing low and medium chill plants are protected from late spring frosts.

Devonport, on the north coast, has higher chill than my southern Tassie block! But my block has enough for apples and stone fruit if I decide to grow a peach tree or two.

However, only one tree, one of two I bought that I had decided to ditch, needs high chill.

Granny Smith needs hardly any chill, one of a few apples that don’t need much chilling. The high chill tree makes mediocre cider in reality and gets every apple tree disease going around, who needs it? The other tree I am ditching has harsh tannins, no thanks! With any luck I can sell them. If not, will put them in a cheap pot and leave them where they can be seen. Some idiot will pinch them only to be disappointed :rofl
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby Dax » 23 Apr 2018, 15:58

Fruit trees are easy to grow in Sth Tas, the climate is perfect for them and all you need to do is make sure they are not in an area where they will not get sun in winter and well drained. The rest of Tas is also good for fruit trees, nth coast produces some excellent produce.

It's also very easy to get rid of arthritis, my family is riddled with it and I had it bad in my late 20's, in heaps of pain. A major operation and terminal prognosis for me sent me on a hunt for a cure and when I found a way to slow and finally stop the condition, realised my arthritis had gone. All you have to do is give up dairies, red meats, processed foods and the arthritis goes away. It's also a big help to take Epsom salt baths and do some fasting, to help your body eliminate the built up calcification of your system. You'd be amazed at the results and how you feel when you finally start to feel real again, takes a bit of time and effort, but well worth it in the end. That's if you wan to feel healthy, or prefer to continuing suffering.
Dax
Feral cat

Postby HBS Guy » 23 Apr 2018, 19:41

I don’t have a bath here, but will in Tassie!!!

Soil is crap but have done and have had done what is needed and will be spreading bought loam into mounds into which the trees will be planted.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby Aussie » 23 Apr 2018, 20:29

HBS Guy wrote:I don’t have a bath here, but will in Tassie!!!

Soil is crap but have done and have had done what is needed and will be spreading bought loam into mounds into which the trees will be planted.

Gawd......it must have been more than 50 years ago that I last had a bath! Shower, me. Anyone else?
Aussie
Hero of the Soviet Union

Postby HBS Guy » 23 Apr 2018, 21:47

When your joints get sore a hot bath is very appealing. ATM I shower with the hottest water I can stand, move the joints under the hot water. When finished—the hot water gets shut off.

Little confession—I wasn’t game to turn the hot water off in Tassie :bgrin
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby johnsmith » 23 Apr 2018, 22:51

i have bath every time I jump in the pool :jump :jump :jump

Had a tenant who lived in a property i manage for about 6 months. A few weeks ago I was inspecting the property before I did his bond refund and when I looked in what would have been the kids bathroom, he mentioned that they had never used it as they went swimming every afternoon and so washed that way. :b :b :b
Is it just me who found that to be so wrong? For 6 months they went to bed covered in chlorine?
FD.
johnsmith
Warthog

Postby HBS Guy » 24 Apr 2018, 10:07

Definitely weird.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby mothra » 25 Apr 2018, 13:35

Love a bath. Candles, music, glass of wine, people constantly coming in to ask me stuff. So relaxing.
mothra
Duck

Postby HBS Guy » 25 Apr 2018, 13:48

Nice old fashioned deep tub, aahhhhhh!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby mothra » 25 Apr 2018, 14:26

HBS Guy wrote:Nice old fashioned deep tub, aahhhhhh!

Shallow baths are the pits. What's the point?
mothra
Duck

Postby johnsmith » 25 Apr 2018, 15:22

mothra wrote:

how else are kids expected to flood the house?
FD.
johnsmith
Warthog

Postby mothra » 25 Apr 2018, 15:44

johnsmith wrote:
mothra wrote:

how else are kids expected to flood the house?

You speak as though you have never met children.

What other way? You kidding? Crafty little buggers.
mothra
Duck

Postby HBS Guy » 25 Apr 2018, 15:44

Kids especially boys, never seem to have trouble getting into trouble.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

PreviousNext

Return to Sand Pit