Humans risk living in an empty world, warns UN expert

For scientific papers on AGW, record happenings in the Arctic and the Greenland, Himalayan and Antarctic icesheets. Also weatherstorms and higher than average rainfalls and other extreme weather events.

Open to guest posting.

Moderator: DonDeeHippy

Humans risk living in an empty world, warns UN expert

Postby Squire » 25 Jan 2020, 08:45

"Humanity will have given up on planet Earth if world leaders cannot reach an agreement this year to stop the mass extinction of wildlife and destruction of life-supporting ecosystems, the United Nation’s new biodiversity chief has warned."

That's where we are headed. Australia has one of the fastest population growth rates in the developed world due to excessive immigration rates. In fact, in some developed countries, the population is actually declining.

The only reason for the high immigration rate is to disguise poor GDP growth rate without the financial benefits from the spending of immigrants.

Around the world the ecology is being crowded out by human encroachment on nature which is depriving animals of their eco systems.

Mankind is dooming itself.

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2020/jan/20/humans-risk-living-in-an-empty-world-warns-un-biodiversity-chief-aoe

Humans risk living in an empty world, warns UN biodiversity chief
Ahead of the World Economic Forum, Elizabeth Maruma Mrema urges governments to take definitive action on climate, deforestation and pollution

The age of extinction is supported by
Band Foundation and Wyss FoundationAbout this content
Patrick Greenfield

Mon 20 Jan 2020 07.00 GMT

Humanity will have given up on planet Earth if world leaders cannot reach an agreement this year to stop the mass extinction of wildlife and destruction of life-supporting ecosystems, the United Nation’s new biodiversity chief has warned.

Elizabeth Maruma Mrema, the acting executive secretary of the UN Convention on Biological Diversity, has implored governments to ensure 2020 is not just another “year of conferences” on the ongoing ecological destruction of the planet, urging countries to take definitive action on deforestation, pollution and the climate crisis.
Squire
Cheetah

spamone: Animal

Re: Humans risk living in an empty world, warns UN expert

Postby Lols » 25 Jan 2020, 09:29

We cannot live without biodiversity, bugs are so important yet the expansive farming (tree clearing for cows) is doing a lot of harm.
Do those idiots think something so little is insignificant and we are big superior beings?
Huh, little do they really understand, do not ever underestimate the smallest of living insects.

When the fires happened around the Black Saturday time, (11 years ago next month) we could not, for 6 months bear the thought of going to see a beloved Kinglake. Then we went, and we sadly point out people’s properties we knew were once there. But no longer.
But one thing that felt very very eerie, a certain void of wildlife. It was soulless. A feeling I have never forgotten.
One has to go to a place burnt out extensively to experience that emptiness. Very sad.
Not the sort of earth to be proud of.
"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themsleves and wiser people so full of doubts" ~ Bertrand Russell
Lols
Irish wolfhound

Postby karlrand » 29 Jan 2020, 12:19

Lols wrote:We cannot live without biodiversity, bugs are so important yet the expansive farming (tree clearing for cows) is doing a lot of harm.
Do those idiots think something so little is insignificant and we are big superior beings?
Huh, little do they really understand, do not ever underestimate the smallest of living insects.

When the fires happened around the Black Saturday time, (11 years ago next month) we could not, for 6 months bear the thought of going to see a beloved Kinglake. Then we went, and we sadly point out people’s properties we knew were once there. But no longer.
But one thing that felt very very eerie, a certain void of wildlife. It was soulless. A feeling I have never forgotten.
One has to go to a place burnt out extensively to experience that emptiness. Very sad.

All these kinds of discussions are worth having but I become profoundly irritated the over population of the planet by humans is hardly ever mentioned.Never mind, mother nature is about to take care of that big time.
karlrand
Pitbull terrier

Postby Lols » 29 Jan 2020, 16:59

karlrand wrote:
Lols wrote:We cannot live without biodiversity, bugs are so important yet the expansive farming (tree clearing for cows) is doing a lot of harm.

All these kinds of discussions are worth having but I become profoundly irritated the over population of the planet by humans is hardly ever mentioned.Never mind, mother nature is about to take care of that big time.

Yes, always worth discussing, and I think we all know there are a lot more people inhabiting this planet.
I mean, it’s just so hard to find car parking at shopping centres nowadays! :?
And yes, Mother Nature will even things out. Maybe even wipe us out like what happened to the dinasours, Neanderthals, etc
I feel we as humans are wiping out a lot of animal life.
Just look at how the Chinese hunt and kill all wildlife to eat! Bleh.
I found this interesting YouTube link about our world population since the 60s and the countries that have the higher population.

https://youtu.be/QVMwXsW-3D4

And ancient population chart

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rJksL53XGRE

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themsleves and wiser people so full of doubts" ~ Bertrand Russell
Lols
Irish wolfhound

Postby pinkeye » 30 Jan 2020, 00:50

and ..?

sigh sadly the graphs were a bit too small for me.

No humans can live in an empty world.
sleeping is good for you
pinkeye
Warthog

Postby HBS Guy » 30 Jan 2020, 08:01

Click on the YouTube link and fullscreen it Pinky!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby karlrand » 30 Jan 2020, 08:12

pinkeye wrote:and ..?

sigh sadly the graphs were a bit too small for me.

No humans can live in an empty world.

Try and tell that to climate change denialists, those tearing down forests and ‘developers’.
karlrand
Pitbull terrier

Postby Bongalong » 30 Jan 2020, 13:35

karlrand wrote:

wow: :?
"Oi!"
Bongalong
Warthog

Postby karlrand » 30 Jan 2020, 13:38

Bongalong wrote:
karlrand wrote:

Thank you for your substantive and detailed contribution.
karlrand
Pitbull terrier

Postby Bongalong » 30 Jan 2020, 13:47

karlrand wrote:
Bongalong wrote:
karlrand wrote:

Can robots thank?
"Oi!"
Bongalong
Warthog

Postby karlrand » 30 Jan 2020, 13:52

Bongalong wrote:
karlrand wrote:
Bongalong wrote:
karlrand wrote:

Can robots thank?

Yes, but if they smoke too much hooch they’re inclined to go a bit silly.
karlrand
Pitbull terrier

Postby Bongalong » 30 Jan 2020, 14:16

karlrand wrote:
Bongalong wrote:
karlrand wrote:
Bongalong wrote:
karlrand wrote:

Can robots thank?

Yes, but if they smoke too much hooch they’re inclined to go a bit silly.

Like thanking too much? :rofl
"Oi!"
Bongalong
Warthog

Postby pinkeye » 31 Jan 2020, 01:46

karlrand wrote:

You are quoting me. plagiarist.! OR perhaps ?
sleeping is good for you
pinkeye
Warthog

Postby DonDeeHippy » 31 Jan 2020, 06:32

If livestock cannot be fed through drought or fire then it's the farmers duty to put them down, it's actually illegal not to. Same goes for Dogs and Horses and those that breed them...
Who will be humanitarian enough to put down starving humans.. or should we let livestock suffer the same fate we let our own species suffer ? :purple
Bongalong... for some reason women are just so superior to anything that ever existed or will ever exist!
DonDeeHippy
Jaguar

Postby HBS Guy » 31 Jan 2020, 09:04

Do you build your muscles like that, Karlsrand?
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby karlrand » 31 Jan 2020, 09:25

HBS Guy wrote:Do you build your muscles like that, Karlsrand?

I did once by mistake. Joined a gym to help with my marathon run times. After about a year I was way bigger and my running times got slower. I actually started feeling very uncomfortable on long runs. Requested a review with the gym supervisor only to learn they’d put me on the wrong regime, one meant to build bulk, not stamina. Changed the routine and within four months was running like a cheetah.
I found the whole bulk thing irksome when huge veins started appearing in my arms and legs and muscle Mary’s (weight lifting queens) started coming onto me. ERK!
And no, I’ve never owned a pink mini-skirt. It’s just that I can’t resist unleashing my twisted sense of humour in avatars.
karlrand
Pitbull terrier

Postby HBS Guy » 31 Jan 2020, 09:41

Yup, I did an image search on your avatar and found Muscle Marys :bgrin
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Return to Global Warming and Australian Energy Market