Australian 2.2 Gigawatt Offshore Wind Farm

For scientific papers on AGW, record happenings in the Arctic and the Greenland, Himalayan and Antarctic icesheets. Also weatherstorms and higher than average rainfalls and other extreme weather events.

Open to guest posting.

Moderator: johnsmith

Australian 2.2 Gigawatt Offshore Wind Farm

Postby DonDeeHippy » 09 Jul 2019, 09:41

https://cleantechnica.com/2019/07/08/au ... next-step/

Plans for a mammoth 2.2 gigawatt (GW) offshore wind farm off the southern coast of Australia have taken a crucial step forward this month after the developers announced a partnership to conduct a market study on the availability of the required labour and vessel resources.
The 2.2 GW Star of the South offshore wind farm, backed by Danish fund management company Copenhagen Infrastructure Partners, has been proposed for the southeastern coast of Australia, off the Gippsland coast of Victoria, the country’s southern-most mainland state. With a potential to generate electricity for the equivalent of as many as 1.2 million households, the Star of the South could play a major part in Victoria’s drive away from fossil fuels.

Yeah getting closer, one project per state could be better than turning to Nuke :purple
Bongalong... for some reason women are just so superior to anything that ever existed or will ever exist!
DonDeeHippy
Jaguar

spamone: Animal

Re: Australian 2.2 Gigawatt Offshore Wind Farm

Postby HBS Guy » 09 Jul 2019, 09:52

That would be nice, maybe the SA govt should hitch a ride and add 100 windmills to it.

2.2GWatt is decent capacity—and being offshore effective and nameplate capacity will be closer than for onshore windfarms.

Don’t mention this in Politics of Julia will have a heart attack!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby Bongalong » 09 Jul 2019, 16:55

"2.2 GW" needs to be divided by atleast 3 ... and we all know that: everything else is fake news!
"Oi!"
Bongalong
Warthog

Postby HBS Guy » 09 Jul 2019, 18:47

Not quite, DRAH. Offshore windfarms have more constant wind.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby DonDeeHippy » 10 Jul 2019, 06:04

Bongalong wrote:"2.2 GW" needs to be divided by atleast 3 ... and we all know that: everything else is fake news!

yup that's why Australia has a bit over 50 gigs of nameplate power but only use 19 gigs (per hour), every PowerStation is the same.....
Bongalong... for some reason women are just so superior to anything that ever existed or will ever exist!
DonDeeHippy
Jaguar

Postby Bongalong » 12 Jul 2019, 16:06

DonDeeHippy wrote:https://cleantechnica.com/2019/07/08/australian-2-2-gigawatt-offshore-wind-farm-takes-crucial-next-step/

Plans for a mammoth 2.2 gigawatt (GW) offshore wind farm off the southern coast of Australia have taken a crucial step forward this month after the developers announced a partnership to conduct a market study on the availability of the required labour and vessel resources.
The 2.2 GW Star of the South offshore wind farm, backed by Danish fund management company Copenhagen Infrastructure Partners, has been proposed for the southeastern coast of Australia, off the Gippsland coast of Victoria, the country’s southern-most mainland state. With a potential to generate electricity for the equivalent of as many as 1.2 million households, the Star of the South could play a major part in Victoria’s drive away from fossil fuels.

Yeah getting closer, one project per state could be better than turning to Nuke :purple

Yeh,... cos, um sure that chinese sweat shops haven't been purposefuly geared up all these years to provide the wind power of the twenty-first century?

:OMG :OMG :OMG :OMG

(Hey, monk: there's almost a movie script there bro lol :beer !!!!!!!?????!)

((Could it be possible for a political internet forum to create a movie script? Somehow I think it's old hat lol :bgrin :bgrin :bgrin :bgrin :bgrin :bgrin ))
"Oi!"
Bongalong
Warthog

Postby Bongalong » 12 Jul 2019, 16:11

HBS Guy wrote:That would be nice, maybe the SA govt should hitch a ride and add 100 windmills to it.

2.2GWatt is decent capacity—and being offshore effective and nameplate capacity will be closer than for onshore windfarms.

Don’t mention this in Politics of Julia will have a heart attack!

It's your bloody forum mate: f julia!

It's like giving a shite about mum and dad lol :bgrin
"Oi!"
Bongalong
Warthog

Postby Bongalong » 12 Jul 2019, 16:13

HBS Guy wrote:Not quite, DRAH. Offshore windfarms have more constant wind.

Yeh, blah blah overheads and shite yeh bro... are you old school or something bro lol?
"Oi!"
Bongalong
Warthog

Postby Bongalong » 12 Jul 2019, 16:15

DonDeeHippy wrote:
Bongalong wrote:"2.2 GW" needs to be divided by atleast 3 ... and we all know that: everything else is fake news!

yup that's why Australia has a bit over 50 gigs of nameplate power but only use 19 gigs (per hour), every PowerStation is the same.....

A nice supporting answer with numbers in it: I MUST, THEREFORE, DECLARE MYSELF A DONDEEHIPPY FAN :bike :bike :bike :bike :bike
"Oi!"
Bongalong
Warthog

Postby HBS Guy » 23 Jul 2019, 00:44

Victoria’s largest solar installation officially started:

https://www.australianmanufacturing.com.au/75742/victorias-largest-solar-farm-comes-online

Huge solar installation coming, hopefully, to the NT, supply the territory and Singapore and eventually the Asean grid. More later.

https://reneweconomy.com.au/nt-government-backs-10gw-solar-and-storage-plant-biggest-in-world-71012/
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 24 Jul 2019, 07:40

500MW solar + battery installation near Robertstown in SA approved:

https://www.energy-storage.news/news/huge-battery-system-to-export-cheap-solar-from-south-australia-approved

With the increasing frequency of hailstorms and the growing size of hailstones how secure are these vast solar farms? (increase in hail and size of the hail are due to AGW.)
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby Bongalong » 24 Jul 2019, 08:27

Sounds bonza!!
"Oi!"
Bongalong
Warthog

Postby HBS Guy » 24 Jul 2019, 08:42

All those panels vulnerable to hail tho.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby Bongalong » 24 Jul 2019, 09:59

HBS Guy wrote:All those panels vulnerable to hail tho.

Yeh... Well: are there places where it doesn't hail ?
"Oi!"
Bongalong
Warthog

Postby HBS Guy » 24 Jul 2019, 12:54

It is raining now where it didn’t before—more evaporation, more storms—so hail may follow.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby Bongalong » 24 Jul 2019, 13:08

HBS Guy wrote:It is raining now where it didn’t before—more evaporation, more storms—so hail may follow.

Yeh, well,... it's all a planning exercise I suppose! :yak yak
"Oi!"
Bongalong
Warthog

Postby HBS Guy » 24 Jul 2019, 14:49

Yeah. Who would insure a multi-hectare site full of fragile solar PV panels?

Thinking about the increasing size of hailstones I added a carport to the plans for my house and garden, making it a bit hard to fit the house on the block (there is an approximately 9.2m radius quarter circle cut out of one corner of my block so cannot have the carport there so lot of wasted space on that side of my house to be.) Will put rainwater tanks there and have a walk in pantry intruding into that space. Still wasted space, dammit!

Then thinking about the solar panels and windmills. Just insure them, I guess?
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby Bongalong » 24 Jul 2019, 16:15

Are you trying to tell me off-shore windfarms are easier to insure by any chance? :rain :rain :rain :rain :bgrin
"Oi!"
Bongalong
Warthog

Postby HBS Guy » 24 Jul 2019, 16:25

I have not thought about hail on offshore windfarms to be honest.

In any case, windfarms offer a much smaller target then hectare after hectare of PV panels.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby Bongalong » 24 Jul 2019, 16:48

HBS Guy wrote:I have not thought about hail on offshore windfarms to be honest.

In any case, windfarms offer a much smaller target then hectare after hectare of PV panels.

I'm not saying you don't have a point: I am saying there may be areas where hail isn't expected to fall and therefore becomes a wholly insurable prospect!
"Oi!"
Bongalong
Warthog

Postby HBS Guy » 24 Jul 2019, 17:00

Things are changing, DRAH, that is all I know.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby Bongalong » 24 Jul 2019, 23:43

HBS Guy wrote:Things are changing, DRAH, that is all I know.

Quantitative argument was never meant to be easy :beer
"Oi!"
Bongalong
Warthog

Postby HBS Guy » 25 Jul 2019, 10:20

And I am not a meteorologist. AGW boosts thermals in thunderstorms sending moist air higher: hail more likely to form there and they have longer to fall to cloud level—and hailstones grow, merge with other hailstones during that fall.

Arid enough places that there is enough sun to justify utility-scale solar are probably safe enough from hail.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby Bongalong » 25 Jul 2019, 11:38

HBS Guy wrote:And I am not a meteorologist. AGW boosts thermals in thunderstorms sending moist air higher: hail more likely to form there and they have longer to fall to cloud level—and hailstones grow, merge with other hailstones during that fall.

Arid enough places that there is enough sun to justify utility-scale solar are probably safe enough from hail.

There ya go mate: nuthin to worry about :beer Huzzah!
"Oi!"
Bongalong
Warthog

Postby HBS Guy » 25 Jul 2019, 15:49

Yeah but no but—precipitation patterns are changing, dry places becoming wetter.

However SA like the rest of the southern half of the country is drying out. Guess I worry a bit installation being wiped out by hail gives ammunition to those who won’t face up to AGW.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Next

Return to Global Warming and Australian Energy Market