Planting 0.9 Billion hectare of trees could avert AGW

For scientific papers on AGW, record happenings in the Arctic and the Greenland, Himalayan and Antarctic icesheets. Also weatherstorms and higher than average rainfalls and other extreme weather events.

Open to guest posting.

Moderator: johnsmith

Planting 0.9 Billion hectare of trees could avert AGW

Postby Squire » 06 Jul 2019, 00:05

That's about 15% of usable arable land.

But its cheaper than technological solutions to sequester carbon.

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/massive-forest-restoration-could-greatly-slow-global-warming/

Massive Forest Restoration Could Greatly Slow Global Warming
The right trees, planted in the right locations, could store 205 gigatons of carbon dioxide

By Mark Fischetti on July 4, 2019
Massive Forest Restoration Could Greatly Slow Global Warming
Credit: Getty Images
We have heard for years that planting trees can help save the world from global warming. That mantra was mostly a statement of faith, however. Now the data finally exist to show that if the right species of trees are planted in the right soil types across the planet, the emerging forests could capture 205 gigatons of carbon dioxide in the next 40 to 100 years. That's two thirds of all the CO2 humans have generated since the industrial revolution. "Forest restoration is by far our most powerful planetary solution today," says Tom Crowther, a professor of global ecosystem ecology at the Swiss Federal Institute of Technology in Zurich, and an author of a study published Thursday in Science that generated the eye-opening number.

The study team analyzed almost 80,000 satellite photo measurements of tree cover worldwide and combined them with enormous global databases about soil and climate conditions, evaluating one hectare at a time. The exercise generated a detailed map of how many trees the earth could naturally support—where forests grow now and where they could grow, outside of areas such as deserts and savannahs that support very few or no trees. The team then subtracted existing forests and also urban areas and land used for agriculture. That left 0.9 billion hectares that could be forested but have not been. If those spaces were filled with trees that already flourish nearby, the new growth could store 205 gigatons of carbon by the time the forests mature.

After 40 to 100 years, of course, the storage rate would flatten as forest growth levels off—but the researchers say the 205 gigatons would be maintained as old trees die and new ones grow. There would be "a bank of excess carbon that is no longer in the atmosphere," Crowther says.
Squire
mountain lion

spamone: Animal

Re: Planting 0.9 Billion hectare of trees could avert AGW

Postby HBS Guy » 06 Jul 2019, 07:13

Bamboo is faster growing. However, need to plant enough to keep pace with deforestation in the Amazon before actually reducing atmospheric/ocean CO2.

In principle I am all for it but think it is rather a bigger task than you might think.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby Squire » 06 Jul 2019, 11:21

HBS Guy wrote:Bamboo is faster growing. However, need to plant enough to keep pace with deforestation in the Amazon before actually reducing atmospheric/ocean CO2.

In principle I am all for it but think it is rather a bigger task than you might think.

Every task looks big before its started.
Squire
mountain lion

Postby Bongalong » 07 Jul 2019, 17:12

Squire wrote:
HBS Guy wrote:Bamboo is faster growing. However, need to plant enough to keep pace with deforestation in the Amazon before actually reducing atmospheric/ocean CO2.

Not all tasks can be completed.
"Oi!"
Bongalong
Warthog

Postby Squire » 07 Jul 2019, 17:16

Bongalong wrote:
Squire wrote:

The longest journey begins with a single step.
Squire
mountain lion

Postby HBS Guy » 07 Jul 2019, 17:52

The trees should be plantation timber harvested regularly—mature forests have a methane plume above them.

Can we stop farmers clearing land? The Amazon?

Trees planted on ridges, esp native trees, can increase rainfall.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby pinkeye » 07 Jul 2019, 23:20

One would think that together with this , all clearing in Sth American, and Australian, and SE Asian Rainforests must cease , immediately.
If it means the rich world pays the poor of these nations to stop, surely that is a better thing, than to keep on with this destruction. it's all for profits, no other eason,, so WE should offer them money to STOP.

Of course it is hard for Australians to suggest such things, when we just approved ADANI.!!!!!!
sleeping is good for you
pinkeye
Warthog

Postby Bongalong » 08 Jul 2019, 12:56

Squire wrote:
Bongalong wrote:
Squire wrote:

The longest journey begins with a single step.

Yes, but there are more interpretations of that kind of stuff: such as, we are already on 'the' so called path... and that's just one! :jump
"Oi!"
Bongalong
Warthog

Postby Bongalong » 08 Jul 2019, 13:00

HBS Guy wrote:The trees should be plantation timber harvested regularly—mature forests have a methane plume above them.

Can we stop farmers clearing land? The Amazon?

Trees planted on ridges, esp native trees, can increase rainfall.

A more than interesting complication to a complex equation I dare say: IS THIS COMMON KNOWLEDGE?

(I dare say not, although I'm just ignorant of said fact: thanks for enlightening me Mr Beerest Guy!)

:bike :bike :beer

((Never heard the planting trees on ridges one either, lol... cool: we need to start teaching the kids this stuff like pronto!))
"Oi!"
Bongalong
Warthog

Postby Bongalong » 08 Jul 2019, 13:02

pinkeye wrote:One would think that together with this , all clearing in Sth American, and Australian, and SE Asian Rainforests must cease , immediately.
If it means the rich world pays the poor of these nations to stop, surely that is a better thing, than to keep on with this destruction. it's all for profits, no other eason,, so WE should offer them money to STOP.

Of course it is hard for Australians to suggest such things, when we just approved ADANI.!!!!!!

Well, it all comes back to who are 'we'!!??? :scare !! :OMG :OMG :OMG :OMG :OMG :OMG :OMG :OMG :OMG :bgrin
"Oi!"
Bongalong
Warthog

Postby pinkeye » 09 Jul 2019, 02:33

we..?
people and governments who want to stop wholesale destruction of irreplaceable environments, like the Amazon, or the Sumatran jungle. Or the Daintree. !! For just a few examples.

people like me who want to maintain and protect local bio-diversity.

As long as it is someone else's problem, we'll do nothing much.
sleeping is good for you
pinkeye
Warthog

Postby Bongalong » 09 Jul 2019, 18:01

pinkeye wrote:we..?
people and governments who want to stop wholesale destruction of irreplaceable environments, like the Amazon, or the Sumatran jungle. Or the Daintree. !! For just a few examples.

I'm sorry: that cuts no mustard at all :Hi :Hi :yellow
"Oi!"
Bongalong
Warthog

Postby DonDeeHippy » 10 Jul 2019, 06:06

Bongalong wrote:

so what do you do to help the environment Bongy or is it someone else's problem ? :tweed
Bongalong... for some reason women are just so superior to anything that ever existed or will ever exist!
DonDeeHippy
Jaguar

Postby Bongalong » 10 Jul 2019, 11:05

DonDeeHippy wrote:
Bongalong wrote:

so what do you do to help the environment Bongy or is it someone else's problem ? :tweed

Lol, I'm talking about the curious use of the word 'we' in fake news and you turn around and attack 'me' for an ever more curious reason!

:roll

Don't you like other people taking part in a conversation? :roll :roll :roll :roll :roll :roll
"Oi!"
Bongalong
Warthog

Return to Global Warming and Australian Energy Market