Higher Efficiency Solar Cells

For scientific papers on AGW, record happenings in the Arctic and the Greenland, Himalayan and Antarctic icesheets. Also weatherstorms and higher than average rainfalls and other extreme weather events.

Open to guest posting.

Moderator: johnsmith

Higher Efficiency Solar Cells

Postby DonDeeHippy » 05 Jul 2019, 10:04

https://cleantechnica.com/2019/07/04/re ... lar-cells/

There are some things we think will never change. 1 plus 1 equals 2. The sun rises in the east. One photon can only create one electron in a silicon solar cell. The maximum theoretical efficiency of a solar cell is 29.1%. And then one day we wake up and find everything has changed and we have to rethink everything we thought we knew.
A team of researchers at MIT and Princeton has demonstrated a way to get every high energy photon striking silicon to kick out two electrons instead of one, opening the door for a new kind of solar cell with greater efficiency than ever thought possible. That doesn’t mean the overall efficiency is double but it could raise the efficiency of future solar cells to as much as 35%. That is nearly double what many conventional solar cells are capable of today.

This is huge, I already think solar panels are as important as the invention of the wheel, this innovation is like a wheel with barring's in advancement, be interesting to see if they can make it commercially viable.... :purple
Bongalong... for some reason women are just so superior to anything that ever existed or will ever exist!
DonDeeHippy
Jaguar

spamone: Animal

Re: Higher Efficiency Solar Cells

Postby HBS Guy » 05 Jul 2019, 14:12

Yeah, not everything makes it out the lab into the factory and marketplace. . .

Be some more, maybe more modest, efficiency gains to be had—putting the actual cells around the edge and shaded/insulated from the sun would boost efficiency—if we can get light to turn 90°—someone had worked out coatings to do that: panel is plain glass with coatings sending the light to the edges wshere the cells are: less silicon, higher efficiency on really hot days. Must have been one of the inventions to not get out the lab.

I have spoken with some homeowners with colossal numbers of panels on their roofs—they generally pay no or tiny electricity bills but not eathshattering gain from the panels—these have been older panels. It pays not the be the first to rush in!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby Bongalong » 05 Jul 2019, 16:23

Then again, the other argument is that the quality of solar panels in Australia is not increasing because the shills are in/ have been invited to the game. Everyone can play the contrarian game: go politics forums yay!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
"Oi!"
Bongalong
Warthog

Postby DonDeeHippy » 06 Jul 2019, 06:54

HBS Guy wrote:Yeah, not everything makes it out the lab into the factory and marketplace. . .

Be some more, maybe more modest, efficiency gains to be had—putting the actual cells around the edge and shaded/insulated from the sun would boost efficiency—if we can get light to turn 90°—someone had worked out coatings to do that: panel is plain glass with coatings sending the light to the edges wshere the cells are: less silicon, higher efficiency on really hot days. Must have been one of the inventions to not get out the lab.

I have spoken with some homeowners with colossal numbers of panels on their roofs—they generally pay no or tiny electricity bills but not eathshattering gain from the panels—these have been older panels. It pays not the be the first to rush in!

true and most panel advances are just that and not really worth mentioning, this is different though, this is a major breakthrough of how solar panels work. Now that is has been proven you can get 2 for 1 instead of 1 for 1 , it will open the floodgates of innovation....
The rest is just engineering....
Bongalong... for some reason women are just so superior to anything that ever existed or will ever exist!
DonDeeHippy
Jaguar

Postby HBS Guy » 06 Jul 2019, 07:06

Yup, be interesting to see what is available in a couple years! Pays to shop around and get proper specs,
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby johnsmith » 06 Jul 2019, 19:10

bugger. They installed mine last week. And it's been overcast or raining every day since. &%$##$&*( :mad
FD.
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.
johnsmith
Mastodon

Postby johnsmith » 06 Jul 2019, 19:59

Tesla’s New Solar Roof Will Be As Cheap As A Shingle Roof And Electric Bill

According to Tesla CEO Elon Musk, the company’s new solar roof tiles will be affordable to the average homeowner. Musk says that they will be roughly the same cost as the typical shingle roof.

As with many of his projects, there have been several delays in the production of the solar rooftops. Initially, when Musk first announced the product in 2017, the company was supposed to start building them the following year, in 2018.

However, Tesla ran into some roadblocks in the production and delayed the rollout two years in a row.

Musk said that the reason for the delay was that he wanted to make sure he brought the best possible product to market. Specifically, he wanted to ensure that the roof would last for 30 years without needing a replacement.

During a shareholder meeting this year, Musk said that it has been a very challenging process to complete the very ambitious goals that the company set for itself.

“We are about to complete version 3 of the solar roof. This is actually quite a hard technology problem to have an integrated solar cell with a roof tile, have it look good, and last for 30 years. I am very excited about version 3 of solar roof. We have a shot at being equal to a comp shingle roof plus someone’s utility cost or being lower than that. That’s one of the cheapest roofs available. So you can have a great roof with better economics than a normal fairly cheap roof and your utility bill,” Musk said, according to Electrek.

The durability of the roof will be guaranteed for life, and will be guaranteed to generate power for up to 30 years, after that it may need repairs.

When the idea was first proposed, Tesla estimated that the solar roof would cost roughly $21.85 per square foot, which is extremely expensive.

To contrast some of the other prices found in the industry, the average shingle roof can cost as little as $4 per square foot, and a tile roof can sometimes cost up to $20 per square foot.

If Musk is saying that he can bring the cost down to match that of a shingle roof, that is a significant reduction in price. If he is able to bring this price to market it would be a game changer for the average consumer who does not have access to solar technology, but is going to replace their roof at some point anyway.

2016 data from Bloomberg New Energy Finance (BNEF) suggests that solar has actually already become the cheapest way to generate energy.

According to an estimate released by the International Energy Agency, solar will be the world’s primary source of energy by 2050.

This is good news, but that number may seem far off to some people, considering that solar energy currently represents less than 1% of the energy market.

Recent breakthroughs in solar technology are making it more efficient and cheaper to extract energy from the sun, which in turn, is making this technology more available to the average person.

Solar power is unlike most other energy resources because there is a limitless supply. This limitless supply of power could actually cause energy prices to drop so low that anyone could afford it. Like all technology, the technology to harness electricity from the sun will continue to become cheaper as it is developed and perfected.

A new type of solar panel could make the technology even more plausible. The new High Concentration PhotoVoltaic Thermal (HCPVT) system, developed by researchers at IBM, actually performs far better than the conventional solar panels on the market today. According to engineers, the new solar system can magnify the sun’s energy by 2000-5000 times.

The system works by using hundred of incredibly small solar cells, which are constantly cooled, allowing them to generate more energy than regular panels.

Traditional solar panels have problems with absorbing all the energy that is available, and are only able to take advantage of a small percentage of the energy that is within physical reach. This new design is able to collect far more energy, without wasting the excess.

The Swiss Commission for Technology and Innovation has offered a $2.4 million grant to help with the development of this project, and the researchers hope that this technology could someday power the world for free.

https://www.anonews.co/teslas-new-solar-roof/?fbclid=IwAR0DFSPB85YNPPHUJm7e3Lz65yY19t5_UiEQ2nLw8ZdoZLYfjFnzMVCiGu4

if he can do solar roof tiles for the same price as conventional tiles, and guarantee them for 30 years, that's a game changer.
FD.
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.
johnsmith
Mastodon

Postby HBS Guy » 06 Jul 2019, 22:08

I’ll say!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby DonDeeHippy » 07 Jul 2019, 05:42

johnsmith wrote:bugger. They installed mine last week. And it's been overcast or raining every day since. &%$##$&*( :mad

If you look at your inverter, you will see the panels will still have made some power, it's a good feeling if it's only 1 or 2 kwh a day.
Mine is 4 years old now and I looked at the over all amount and its 40,000 mwh, at 10c a mwh that's $4,000 that's the minimum amount as during the day i save 28c a MWH when I don't use from the grid... It cost $5100 so id say by now it's paid off and making me money :)
DonDeeHippy
Jaguar

Postby DonDeeHippy » 07 Jul 2019, 05:49

johnsmith wrote:

According to Tesla CEO Elon Musk, the company’s new solar roof tiles will be affordable to the average homeowner. Musk says that they will be roughly the same cost as the typical shingle roof.

As with many of his projects, there have been several delays in the production of the solar rooftops. Initially, when Musk first announced the product in 2017, the company was supposed to start building them the following year, in 2018.

However, Tesla ran into some roadblocks in the production and delayed the rollout two years in a row.

Musk said that the reason for the delay was that he wanted to make sure he brought the best possible product to market. Specifically, he wanted to ensure that the roof would last for 30 years without needing a replacement.

During a shareholder meeting this year, Musk said that it has been a very challenging process to complete the very ambitious goals that the company set for itself.

“We are about to complete version 3 of the solar roof. This is actually quite a hard technology problem to have an integrated solar cell with a roof tile, have it look good, and last for 30 years. I am very excited about version 3 of solar roof. We have a shot at being equal to a comp shingle roof plus someone’s utility cost or being lower than that. That’s one of the cheapest roofs available. So you can have a great roof with better economics than a normal fairly cheap roof and your utility bill,” Musk said, according to Electrek.

The durability of the roof will be guaranteed for life, and will be guaranteed to generate power for up to 30 years, after that it may need repairs.

When the idea was first proposed, Tesla estimated that the solar roof would cost roughly $21.85 per square foot, which is extremely expensive.

To contrast some of the other prices found in the industry, the average shingle roof can cost as little as $4 per square foot, and a tile roof can sometimes cost up to $20 per square foot.

If Musk is saying that he can bring the cost down to match that of a shingle roof, that is a significant reduction in price. If he is able to bring this price to market it would be a game changer for the average consumer who does not have access to solar technology, but is going to replace their roof at some point anyway.

2016 data from Bloomberg New Energy Finance (BNEF) suggests that solar has actually already become the cheapest way to generate energy.

According to an estimate released by the International Energy Agency, solar will be the world’s primary source of energy by 2050.

This is good news, but that number may seem far off to some people, considering that solar energy currently represents less than 1% of the energy market.

Recent breakthroughs in solar technology are making it more efficient and cheaper to extract energy from the sun, which in turn, is making this technology more available to the average person.

Solar power is unlike most other energy resources because there is a limitless supply. This limitless supply of power could actually cause energy prices to drop so low that anyone could afford it. Like all technology, the technology to harness electricity from the sun will continue to become cheaper as it is developed and perfected.

A new type of solar panel could make the technology even more plausible. The new High Concentration PhotoVoltaic Thermal (HCPVT) system, developed by researchers at IBM, actually performs far better than the conventional solar panels on the market today. According to engineers, the new solar system can magnify the sun’s energy by 2000-5000 times.

The system works by using hundred of incredibly small solar cells, which are constantly cooled, allowing them to generate more energy than regular panels.

Traditional solar panels have problems with absorbing all the energy that is available, and are only able to take advantage of a small percentage of the energy that is within physical reach. This new design is able to collect far more energy, without wasting the excess.

The Swiss Commission for Technology and Innovation has offered a $2.4 million grant to help with the development of this project, and the researchers hope that this technology could someday power the world for free.

https://www.anonews.co/teslas-new-solar-roof/?fbclid=IwAR0DFSPB85YNPPHUJm7e3Lz65yY19t5_UiEQ2nLw8ZdoZLYfjFnzMVCiGu4

if he can do solar roof tiles for the same price as conventional tiles, and guarantee them for 30 years, that's a game changer.

https://cleantechnica.com/2019/06/13/wh ... -analysis/
I signed a contract with Tesla for the installation of a new Tesla Solar roof tile system and have unpacked the details, good and bad, from the contract in a series of articles. To kick things off, I will start by comparing the cost of the system against Elon’s claims to see if a Tesla Solar Roof tile system is actually cheaper than buying a roof and the power generated by the system over its life.
One Roof To Rule Them All
An accurate comparison requires an accurate baseline to be used for the cost of electricity and the cost of a new roof. Getting a new roof installed can range from $10,000 to $50,000, depending on the material used. Composite shingle roofs and tile roofs are more cost effective, but do not have the same durability as a Tesla Solar Roof with its tempered glass tiles. Tesla’s Solar Roof is comprised of, “Glass solar tiles are so durable they are warrantied for the lifetime of your house, or infinity, whichever comes first.”

This is a cost analysis from a Tesla roof owner on the costs involved, One thing he doesn't do is what the cost would be with just a new roof and normal solar panels, but still a good read and the panels look to be worth the money... :purple
DonDeeHippy
Jaguar

Postby johnsmith » 07 Jul 2019, 08:58

DonDeeHippy wrote:
johnsmith wrote:bugger. They installed mine last week. And it's been overcast or raining every day since. &%$##$&*( :mad

If you look at your inverter, you will see the panels will still have made some power, it's a good feeling if it's only 1 or 2 kwh a day.
Mine is 4 years old now and I looked at the over all amount and its 40,000 mwh, at 10c a mwh that's $4,000 that's the minimum amount as during the day i save 28c a MWH when I don't use from the grid... It cost $5100 so id say by now it's paid off and making me money :)

yeah, I know. It's still generating power. But not as much as they should be. They haven't swapped my meter yet so it spins backwards during the day. I just want to it go backwards as much as possible before they replace the meter. :rofl :rofl
FD.
johnsmith
Mastodon

Postby DonDeeHippy » 09 Jul 2019, 09:51

https://cleantechnica.com/2019/07/08/mi ... -sunlight/
It’s below freezing on a rooftop in Cambridge, Massachusetts, but inside a device created by researchers at MIT, the temperature is 220º C. There are no moving parts, compressors, or vacuum pumps involved. Just sunlight and a special aerogel it has taken researchers at MIT 4 years to perfect, aided by grants from the Department of Energy’s ARPA-E program.
According to MIT News, an aerogel is a foam-like material made of silica particles. Silica is the basic ingredient in glass. It is abundant and inexpensive. Aerogels can be a highly efficient and lightweight insulating material but generally block much of the visible light that falls on them, limiting their usefulness as solar heat collectors.
Evelyn Wang, head of the mechanical engineering department at MIT, says that it took a team of researchers four years to devise an aerogel that transmits 95% of visible light while maintaining its high insulating properties. The result is an aerogel so transparent it is nearly invisible.
The key was finding the correct mix of catalysts and silica materials to create the aerogel and then drying it properly. What’s left is a matrix that is mostly air but retains the original mixture’s strength. Drying out the mixture much faster than is normal with conventional aerogels produced a gel with smaller pore spaces between its grains which led to far less light being scattered inside the gel.
Like all laboratory breakthroughs, this one may yet be years away from commercial scale manufacturing. But the promise of virtually free heat from sunlight could be an important adjunct to the quest to decarbonize the built environment. Building heating consumes enormous quantities of fossil fuels. Virtually free zero emissions heat from the sun could be the greatest thing since solar panels.

SO many great things are happening at the moment as people figure out ways to use the sun and not fossil fuels to heat us... There is so much potential in this discovery and it's one that now people know it's achievable there will be much improvement...….
SO even on the coldest day these panels can heat your house and water for your house or business… wow... :purple
DonDeeHippy
Jaguar

Postby HBS Guy » 09 Jul 2019, 11:37

Yes, excellent!

Be a ready market in the US Midwest I imagine, seem to get hit with Arctic air fairly frequently.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby johnsmith » 09 Jul 2019, 16:23

just 20 yrs ago if you were told you'd be walking around with a PC in your pocket more powerful than most desktop pc's of the day, most people would have laughed. Technology changes pretty quickly. What today is insurmountable, tomorrow will be normal and the next day it will be old technology.
FD.
johnsmith
Mastodon

Postby Bongalong » 09 Jul 2019, 17:56

DonDeeHippy wrote:
johnsmith wrote:

https://cleantechnica.com/2019/06/13/wh ... -analysis/
I signed a contract with Tesla for the installation of a new Tesla Solar roof tile system and have unpacked the details, good and bad, from the contract in a series of articles. To kick things off, I will start by comparing the cost of the system against Elon’s claims to see if a Tesla Solar Roof tile system is actually cheaper than buying a roof and the power generated by the system over its life.
One Roof To Rule Them All
An accurate comparison requires an accurate baseline to be used for the cost of electricity and the cost of a new roof. Getting a new roof installed can range from $10,000 to $50,000, depending on the material used. Composite shingle roofs and tile roofs are more cost effective, but do not have the same durability as a Tesla Solar Roof with its tempered glass tiles. Tesla’s Solar Roof is comprised of, “Glass solar tiles are so durable they are warrantied for the lifetime of your house, or infinity, whichever comes first.”

This is a cost analysis from a Tesla roof owner on the costs involved, One thing he doesn't do is what the cost would be with just a new roof and normal solar panels, but still a good read and the panels look to be worth the money... :purple

I like your last sentence: honest comment! :buddy
"Oi!"
Bongalong
Warthog

Return to Global Warming and Australian Energy Market