Fastest warming place on earth

For scientific papers on AGW, record happenings in the Arctic and the Greenland, Himalayan and Antarctic icesheets. Also weatherstorms and higher than average rainfalls and other extreme weather events.

Open to guest posting.

Moderator: johnsmith

Fastest warming place on earth

Postby HBS Guy » 04 Jul 2019, 05:45

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/ng-interactive/2019/jul/01/its-getting-warmer-wetter-wilder-the-arctic-town-heating-faster-than-anywhere?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_Kopi%C3%ABren_naar_klembord

the world’s northernmost town, Longyearbyen, for many reasons. Some are captivated by the otherworldly wilderness of the Svalbard archipelago, a snowscape that exceeds even the most fantastical images of Narnia, Hoth and the lands north of the wall in Game Of Thrones. Others are drawn to the tight-knit community of 2,300 people, who must support one another, because temperatures often plunge below -30C and it is the biggest town for 500 miles. Many say they fall in love with the Arctic light, which, even in the depths of a sunless winter, surprises with pale shades, soft glimmers and celestial glints. . . .

Nowhere on the planet is heating faster. This was the message of a report commissioned by the Norwegian Environment Agency, unveiled in February to a stunned audience in Longyearbyen, the archipelago’s de facto capital. People knew things were bad, but it was only when they heard the forecast that they realised how bad. A local reporter described how people at the meeting fell silent when they heard the statistics, which sounded like the “gloomy horror scenario of a bad thriller”.

Since 1971, temperatures here have risen by 4C, five times faster than the global average. In the winter, when the changes are more marked, it has gone up by an astonishing 7C. These are increases that the rest of the world is not expected to experience until the 22nd century. They are far ahead of most computer simulations. Yet there is still more to come. On current trends, Svalbard will hit 10C of warming by 2100.

Archipelago is the Svalbard Ils of the north east coast of Greenland, well inside the Arctic Circle. It houses the Seed Vault which famously flooded due to melting ice.

4°C—that is since 1971 not 1880.

Arctic is the fastest warming place: loss of albedo from AGW melting ice + AGW.

Probably worth a visit, love to stay for an Arctic winter.

When you build a city on ice it is disconcerting to see the ice melt!

More ominously—as Arctic ice melts middle latitudes will experience even more extreme weather.

Worth reading the whole article. AGW is very real.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Re: Fastest warming place on earth

Postby Bongalong » 04 Jul 2019, 12:12

My Uncle and Auntie went there a few years ago just because there son was living in Norway for a few years. He just said there was heaps of ice. He ssemd astounded I knew how far it away Greenland was... although I said about 100km, wait, no less 700km I actually don't know: I'm guessing it's more like 700km away... I just took a punt by imagining the scale on the worldview site and curtailed my estimate because 1000km seemed too far just by saying it but I guessed it had to be a lot more than 10 times the Nares straight and I think by guessing again from the scale that it's about 50km at it's thinnest, possibly a fraction less... anyway he seemed surprised I had a good guess on the subject but then he knew my Dad was into the Climate Change deal because of his job. I can't remember asking him any intelligent questions....
"Oi!"
Bongalong
Warthog

spamone: Animal

Postby HBS Guy » 04 Jul 2019, 12:58

What?
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby johnsmith » 04 Jul 2019, 17:31

:WTF
FD.
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.
johnsmith
Mastodon

Postby Bongalong » 05 Jul 2019, 11:17

lol, typo: I initially guessed is was 1000km :bike :bike
"Oi!"
Bongalong
Warthog

Postby HBS Guy » 05 Jul 2019, 14:03

Typo? TYPO?? We were wondering HM booze you had in you to write such drivel! :rofl :rofl :rofl

Read your OP!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby Bongalong » 05 Jul 2019, 15:30

HBS Guy wrote:Typo? TYPO?? We were wondering HM booze you had in you to write such drivel! :rofl :rofl :rofl

Read your OP!

You should have seen how drunk I was when talking to my piece of shit uncle. :yak yak
"Oi!"
Bongalong
Warthog

Postby HBS Guy » 05 Jul 2019, 17:16

:rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Return to Global Warming and Australian Energy Market