Utilities in US find RE is cheaper than coal

For scientific papers on AGW, record happenings in the Arctic and the Greenland, Himalayan and Antarctic icesheets. Also weatherstorms and higher than average rainfalls and other extreme weather events.

Open to guest posting.

Moderator: johnsmith

Utilities in US find RE is cheaper than coal

Postby HBS Guy » 01 May 2019, 06:36

Coal industry is trying to stop the move of utilities from coal to gas and now coal to RE!

https://insideclimatenews.org/news/26042019/coal-power-plant-shut-down-cost-saving-renewable-energy-indiana-nipsco-vectren-pruitt

There are lots of King Cnuts everywhere, like in the Australian Parliament where idiots want to buy a clapped out coal plant and keep it going rather than let the owners convert to RE as they want to.
User avatar
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia
 
Posts: 52410
Joined: 27 Oct 2009, 14:37

Re: Utilities in US find RE is cheaper than coal

Postby Texan » 01 May 2019, 06:50

I'm all for RE if they can compete on their own. They have been heavily subsidized to date, but they are beginning to compete with fossil fuels and that's a great thing. Texas is huge into wind energy. About 16% of our energy comes from our wind farms. Texas has 25,000 MW of wind energy production capability. Solar is coming on at the point of use and there are large solar farms coming on line shortly. There aren't enough mountains here for large scale hydro. It would create "water wars" if they did. We have plenty of rain right now, but we cycle in and out of drought years pretty regularly. Each of the generator blades are about 25M long.

Image
Govern wisely, and as little as possible.
President Sam Houston
User avatar
Texan
Cheetah
 
Posts: 1158
Joined: 21 Oct 2018, 13:38
Location: Ellis County
spamone: Animal

Re: Utilities in US find RE is cheaper than coal

Postby DonDeeHippy » 01 May 2019, 07:29

Texan wrote:I'm all for RE if they can compete on their own. They have been heavily subsidized to date, but they are beginning to compete with fossil fuels and that's a great thing. Texas is huge into wind energy. About 16% of our energy comes from our wind farms. Texas has 25,000 MW of wind energy production capability. Solar is coming on at the point of use and there are large solar farms coming on line shortly. There aren't enough mountains here for large scale hydro. It would create "water wars" if they did. We have plenty of rain right now, but we cycle in and out of drought years pretty regularly. Each of the generator blades are about 25M long.

Image

has Gas and coal power ever been subsidized in Texas ? :purple
Bongalong... for some reason women are just so superior to anything that ever existed or will ever exist!
User avatar
DonDeeHippy
Jaguar
 
Posts: 1526
Joined: 25 Apr 2018, 20:18
spamone: Animal

Re: Utilities in US find RE is cheaper than coal

Postby Sprintcyclist » 01 May 2019, 07:57

Well, even if this is close enough to be true ................ it is going to cause lots of changes.
Sprintcyclist
Jaguar
 
Posts: 1680
Joined: 16 Jul 2018, 07:14
spamone: Animal

Re: Utilities in US find RE is cheaper than coal

Postby Texan » 01 May 2019, 08:06

DonDeeHippy wrote:
Texan wrote:I'm all for RE if they can compete on their own. They have been heavily subsidized to date, but they are beginning to compete with fossil fuels and that's a great thing. Texas is huge into wind energy. About 16% of our energy comes from our wind farms. Texas has 25,000 MW of wind energy production capability. Solar is coming on at the point of use and there are large solar farms coming on line shortly. There aren't enough mountains here for large scale hydro. It would create "water wars" if they did. We have plenty of rain right now, but we cycle in and out of drought years pretty regularly. Each of the generator blades are about 25M long.

Image

has Gas and coal power ever been subsidized in Texas ? :purple

I don't think we have much coal production in Texas. We have lots of oil, natural gas, nuclear, and wind. Coal is small enough here, I doubt they have the lobby for Texas subsidies, but it's just a guess. Most of West Texas has limited water and limited agriculture as a result, but they have become energy central for the whole state. Everything in West Texas revolves around energy and it has made Texas rich compared to most other states.

Edit:
I looked it up. We do have significant coal production, but nothing like Montana or West Virginia, and they are much smaller states. I still don't know anything about subsidies.
Govern wisely, and as little as possible.
President Sam Houston
User avatar
Texan
Cheetah
 
Posts: 1158
Joined: 21 Oct 2018, 13:38
Location: Ellis County
spamone: Animal

Re: Utilities in US find RE is cheaper than coal

Postby DonDeeHippy » 01 May 2019, 08:34

Texan wrote:
DonDeeHippy wrote:
Texan wrote:I'm all for RE if they can compete on their own. They have been heavily subsidized to date, but they are beginning to compete with fossil fuels and that's a great thing. Texas is huge into wind energy. About 16% of our energy comes from our wind farms. Texas has 25,000 MW of wind energy production capability. Solar is coming on at the point of use and there are large solar farms coming on line shortly. There aren't enough mountains here for large scale hydro. It would create "water wars" if they did. We have plenty of rain right now, but we cycle in and out of drought years pretty regularly. Each of the generator blades are about 25M long.

Image

has Gas and coal power ever been subsidized in Texas ? :purple

I don't think we have much coal production in Texas. We have lots of oil, natural gas, nuclear, and wind. Coal is small enough here, I doubt they have the lobby for Texas subsidies, but it's just a guess. Most of West Texas has limited water and limited agriculture as a result, but they have become energy central for the whole state. Everything in West Texas revolves around energy and it has made Texas rich compared to most other states.

Edit:
I looked it up. We do have significant coal production, but nothing like Montana or West Virginia, and they are much smaller states. I still don't know anything about subsidies.

https://www.statesman.com/news/20190405 ... p-in-texas

Fossil fuels accounted for an estimated $4.6 billion in tax preferences. A 2018 analysis of state financial support for electricity generation in Texas, by UT researchers, found the state doles out energy subsidies worth nearly $3 billion annually.Apr 5, 2019

When ever Renewable energy is mentioned there is always the argument of subsidies...… never is it mentioned that the existing power sources are also heavily subsidized... from the initial exploring ,starting up extraction to the end power stations, fossil fuels are "helped" along by the government, same as Australia.... :purple
Bongalong... for some reason women are just so superior to anything that ever existed or will ever exist!
User avatar
DonDeeHippy
Jaguar
 
Posts: 1526
Joined: 25 Apr 2018, 20:18
spamone: Animal

Re: Utilities in US find RE is cheaper than coal

Postby Bongalong » 01 May 2019, 11:05

Texan wrote:I'm all for RE if they can compete on their own. They have been heavily subsidized to date, but they are beginning to compete with fossil fuels and that's a great thing. Texas is huge into wind energy. About 16% of our energy comes from our wind farms. Texas has 25,000 MW of wind energy production capability. Solar is coming on at the point of use and there are large solar farms coming on line shortly. There aren't enough mountains here for large scale hydro. It would create "water wars" if they did. We have plenty of rain right now, but we cycle in and out of drought years pretty regularly. Each of the generator blades are about 25M long.

Image

Competition, lol: science has always been political!! IT'S BASICALLY THE MEANING OF POLITICS :Hi
"Oi!"
Bongalong
Warthog
 
Posts: 2686
Joined: 25 Jun 2018, 11:48
spamone: Animal

Re: Utilities in US find RE is cheaper than coal

Postby Bongalong » 01 May 2019, 11:10

Texan wrote:
DonDeeHippy wrote:
Texan wrote:I'm all for RE if they can compete on their own. They have been heavily subsidized to date, but they are beginning to compete with fossil fuels and that's a great thing. Texas is huge into wind energy. About 16% of our energy comes from our wind farms. Texas has 25,000 MW of wind energy production capability. Solar is coming on at the point of use and there are large solar farms coming on line shortly. There aren't enough mountains here for large scale hydro. It would create "water wars" if they did. We have plenty of rain right now, but we cycle in and out of drought years pretty regularly. Each of the generator blades are about 25M long.

Image

has Gas and coal power ever been subsidized in Texas ? :purple

I don't think we have much coal production in Texas. We have lots of oil, natural gas, nuclear, and wind. Coal is small enough here, I doubt they have the lobby for Texas subsidies, but it's just a guess. Most of West Texas has limited water and limited agriculture as a result, but they have become energy central for the whole state. Everything in West Texas revolves around energy and it has made Texas rich compared to most other states.

Edit:
I looked it up. We do have significant coal production, but nothing like Montana or West Virginia, and they are much smaller states. I still don't know anything about subsidies.

Subsidies are what grease the palms of industry: rich people don't get out of bed in the morning so everyone can live the fairytale life of stuffing their western pig faces with grog and biscuits and cheese in front of the tv for free ya know!

Edit: you seemed to know enough about subsidies to accuse renewable energy of committing sin with them whilst others assumedly did not! WHAT HAS CHANGED MAY I DARE ASK YOU OH HUMBLE SIR?
"Oi!"
Bongalong
Warthog
 
Posts: 2686
Joined: 25 Jun 2018, 11:48
spamone: Animal

Re: Utilities in US find RE is cheaper than coal

Postby Bongalong » 01 May 2019, 11:16

DonDeeHippy wrote:
Texan wrote:
DonDeeHippy wrote:
Texan wrote:I'm all for RE if they can compete on their own. They have been heavily subsidized to date, but they are beginning to compete with fossil fuels and that's a great thing. Texas is huge into wind energy. About 16% of our energy comes from our wind farms. Texas has 25,000 MW of wind energy production capability. Solar is coming on at the point of use and there are large solar farms coming on line shortly. There aren't enough mountains here for large scale hydro. It would create "water wars" if they did. We have plenty of rain right now, but we cycle in and out of drought years pretty regularly. Each of the generator blades are about 25M long.

Image

has Gas and coal power ever been subsidized in Texas ? :purple

I don't think we have much coal production in Texas. We have lots of oil, natural gas, nuclear, and wind. Coal is small enough here, I doubt they have the lobby for Texas subsidies, but it's just a guess. Most of West Texas has limited water and limited agriculture as a result, but they have become energy central for the whole state. Everything in West Texas revolves around energy and it has made Texas rich compared to most other states.

Edit:
I looked it up. We do have significant coal production, but nothing like Montana or West Virginia, and they are much smaller states. I still don't know anything about subsidies.

https://www.statesman.com/news/20190405 ... p-in-texas

Fossil fuels accounted for an estimated $4.6 billion in tax preferences. A 2018 analysis of state financial support for electricity generation in Texas, by UT researchers, found the state doles out energy subsidies worth nearly $3 billion annually.Apr 5, 2019

When ever Renewable energy is mentioned there is always the argument of subsidies...… never is it mentioned that the existing power sources are also heavily subsidized... from the initial exploring ,starting up extraction to the end power stations, fossil fuels are "helped" along by the government, same as Australia.... :purple

*** Texan knows enough about subsidies to accuse renewable energy of committing the utimate sin apparently!
"Oi!"
Bongalong
Warthog
 
Posts: 2686
Joined: 25 Jun 2018, 11:48
spamone: Animal

Re: Utilities in US find RE is cheaper than coal

Postby Texan » 01 May 2019, 11:46

Bongalong wrote:
DonDeeHippy wrote:
Texan wrote:
DonDeeHippy wrote:
Texan wrote:I'm all for RE if they can compete on their own. They have been heavily subsidized to date, but they are beginning to compete with fossil fuels and that's a great thing. Texas is huge into wind energy. About 16% of our energy comes from our wind farms. Texas has 25,000 MW of wind energy production capability. Solar is coming on at the point of use and there are large solar farms coming on line shortly. There aren't enough mountains here for large scale hydro. It would create "water wars" if they did. We have plenty of rain right now, but we cycle in and out of drought years pretty regularly. Each of the generator blades are about 25M long.

Image

has Gas and coal power ever been subsidized in Texas ? :purple

I don't think we have much coal production in Texas. We have lots of oil, natural gas, nuclear, and wind. Coal is small enough here, I doubt they have the lobby for Texas subsidies, but it's just a guess. Most of West Texas has limited water and limited agriculture as a result, but they have become energy central for the whole state. Everything in West Texas revolves around energy and it has made Texas rich compared to most other states.

Edit:
I looked it up. We do have significant coal production, but nothing like Montana or West Virginia, and they are much smaller states. I still don't know anything about subsidies.

https://www.statesman.com/news/20190405 ... p-in-texas

Fossil fuels accounted for an estimated $4.6 billion in tax preferences. A 2018 analysis of state financial support for electricity generation in Texas, by UT researchers, found the state doles out energy subsidies worth nearly $3 billion annually.Apr 5, 2019

When ever Renewable energy is mentioned there is always the argument of subsidies...… never is it mentioned that the existing power sources are also heavily subsidized... from the initial exploring ,starting up extraction to the end power stations, fossil fuels are "helped" along by the government, same as Australia.... :purple

*** Texan knows enough about subsidies to accuse renewable energy of committing the utimate sin apparently!

What are you talking about? I didn't accuse "renewable energy" of anything. We have had state and federal incentives for years to install RE on a personal level. That's the only subsidies I've ever seen and what I was referring to. I don't keep up with what any industry does. We don't get subsidies to build coal generating plants in our back yards.

We have almost completely shut down coal electric plants in Texas. We mostly fire them up when California is desperate for electricity and we have to sell them some during peak demand times. We pass on the heavy environmental fines to the buyer when we use coal plants. California has to buy 1/3 of their electricity from other states. That's electricity for over 13M people. Texas is being responsible for California's shortcomings and billing them for it.
Govern wisely, and as little as possible.
President Sam Houston
User avatar
Texan
Cheetah
 
Posts: 1158
Joined: 21 Oct 2018, 13:38
Location: Ellis County
spamone: Animal

Re: Utilities in US find RE is cheaper than coal

Postby DonDeeHippy » 01 May 2019, 12:46

Yes it must really piss off Big Business that individuals are getting subsidies for power......and even worse is when they have solar, they get even less income (big business).... it shouldn't be allowed, people getting a better deal..... :purple
Bongalong... for some reason women are just so superior to anything that ever existed or will ever exist!
User avatar
DonDeeHippy
Jaguar
 
Posts: 1526
Joined: 25 Apr 2018, 20:18
spamone: Animal

Re: Utilities in US find RE is cheaper than coal

Postby Bongalong » 01 May 2019, 13:34

Texan wrote:
Bongalong wrote:
DonDeeHippy wrote:
Texan wrote:
DonDeeHippy wrote:
Texan wrote:I'm all for RE if they can compete on their own. They have been heavily subsidized to date, but they are beginning to compete with fossil fuels and that's a great thing. Texas is huge into wind energy. About 16% of our energy comes from our wind farms. Texas has 25,000 MW of wind energy production capability. Solar is coming on at the point of use and there are large solar farms coming on line shortly. There aren't enough mountains here for large scale hydro. It would create "water wars" if they did. We have plenty of rain right now, but we cycle in and out of drought years pretty regularly. Each of the generator blades are about 25M long.

Image

has Gas and coal power ever been subsidized in Texas ? :purple

I don't think we have much coal production in Texas. We have lots of oil, natural gas, nuclear, and wind. Coal is small enough here, I doubt they have the lobby for Texas subsidies, but it's just a guess. Most of West Texas has limited water and limited agriculture as a result, but they have become energy central for the whole state. Everything in West Texas revolves around energy and it has made Texas rich compared to most other states.

Edit:
I looked it up. We do have significant coal production, but nothing like Montana or West Virginia, and they are much smaller states. I still don't know anything about subsidies.

https://www.statesman.com/news/20190405 ... p-in-texas

Fossil fuels accounted for an estimated $4.6 billion in tax preferences. A 2018 analysis of state financial support for electricity generation in Texas, by UT researchers, found the state doles out energy subsidies worth nearly $3 billion annually.Apr 5, 2019

When ever Renewable energy is mentioned there is always the argument of subsidies...… never is it mentioned that the existing power sources are also heavily subsidized... from the initial exploring ,starting up extraction to the end power stations, fossil fuels are "helped" along by the government, same as Australia.... :purple

*** Texan knows enough about subsidies to accuse renewable energy of committing the utimate sin apparently!

What are you talking about? I didn't accuse "renewable energy" of anything. We have had state and federal incentives for years to install RE on a personal level. That's the only subsidies I've ever seen and what I was referring to. I don't keep up with what any industry does. We don't get subsidies to build coal generating plants in our back yards.

We have almost completely shut down coal electric plants in Texas. We mostly fire them up when California is desperate for electricity and we have to sell them some during peak demand times. We pass on the heavy environmental fines to the buyer when we use coal plants. California has to buy 1/3 of their electricity from other states. That's electricity for over 13M people. Texas is being responsible for California's shortcomings and billing them for it.

You're being deliberately ignorant! :Hi

I would never go to texas, ever!!
"Oi!"
Bongalong
Warthog
 
Posts: 2686
Joined: 25 Jun 2018, 11:48
spamone: Animal

Re: Utilities in US find RE is cheaper than coal

Postby johnsmith » 08 Jun 2019, 21:22

Former New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg has said he will contribute $US500 million ($715 million) toward closing coal-fired power plants across the United States, in a clash with White House efforts to revive a fossil fuel blamed for climate change.

The billionaire's foundation, Bloomberg Philanthropies, said its Beyond Carbon initiative would lobby to close about 250 coal-fired power plants by 2030 and make the country fully reliant on clean energy.

"We're in a race against time with climate change, and yet there is virtually no hope of bold federal action on this issue for at least another two years," he said, referring to when US President Donald Trump's term in office ends.

The UN World Meteorological Organisation said in November global temperatures were on course for an increase of 3–5 degrees Celsius this century, far overshooting a global target of limiting the increase to 2C or less.

Mr Trump has vowed to pull the US out of a 2015 global accord to fight climate change and has backed continuing planet-warming extraction and use of fossil fuels.

The donation by Mr Bloomberg, who was tapped last year to become the UN Secretary General's special envoy for cities and climate change, was the "largest-ever philanthropic effort to fight the climate crisis", his philanthropic group said in a statement.

Push towards natural gas, 'climate champions'

Bloomberg Philanthropies will team up with environmental US non-profit the Sierra Club to focus on state-level action aimed at closing coal plants and halting a "rush to build new [natural] gas plants," it said.

Natural gas, like coal, emits greenhouse gas, but at a lower rate.

"We will employ advocacy, legal and electoral strategies," Mr Bloomberg said in a statement.

Specifically, Beyond Carbon will strive to pass clean energy laws and "work to elect state and local candidates who are climate champions", it said in a statement.

Data from the US Energy Information Administration has shown the share of US power plants powered by coal has plummeted in the last decade, from about 600 in 2007 to about 360 a decade later.

The Sierra Club, which tallies coal-fired power plants nationwide, estimates there are 241 remaining.

"It's definitely a step in the right direction," said Brian Greenhill, an associate professor of political science at the University at Albany.

"[But] if it's received as a war on coal miners then it will just generate a backlash", he warned.

Mr Bloomberg, 77, served three terms as Mayor of New York before stepping down in 2013.



https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-06-08/michael-bloomberg-donates-$us500-million-to-climate-change/11193712
FD.
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.
User avatar
johnsmith
Mastodon
 
Posts: 8544
Joined: 25 Sep 2017, 21:39
spamone: Animal

Re: Utilities in US find RE is cheaper than coal

Postby SethBullock » 08 Jun 2019, 21:31

Bongalong wrote:I would never go to texas, ever!!


Why not? Texas has poisonous snakes, biting bugs and spiders, alligators, and sharks off the coast. I would think you would feel right at home. :thumb
"At least he's not Hillary" - Hatty

"There's only one solution: MORE guns!" - greggerypeccary

... "mr know it all" - Bongalong
User avatar
SethBullock
Jaguar
 
Posts: 2034
Joined: 22 Oct 2018, 12:37
Location: Oregon, USA
spamone: Animal

Re: Utilities in US find RE is cheaper than coal

Postby HBS Guy » 09 Jun 2019, 05:59

Ahahahahahaha!
User avatar
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia
 
Posts: 52410
Joined: 27 Oct 2009, 14:37

Re: Utilities in US find RE is cheaper than coal

Postby johnsmith » 09 Jun 2019, 20:12

SethBullock wrote:
Bongalong wrote:I would never go to texas, ever!!


Why not? Texas has poisonous snakes, biting bugs and spiders, alligators, and sharks off the coast. I would think you would feel right at home. :thumb



:rofl :rofl :rofl
FD.
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.
User avatar
johnsmith
Mastodon
 
Posts: 8544
Joined: 25 Sep 2017, 21:39
spamone: Animal

Re: Utilities in US find RE is cheaper than coal

Postby Bongalong » 11 Jun 2019, 14:02

SethBullock wrote:
Bongalong wrote:I would never go to texas, ever!!


Why not? Texas has poisonous snakes, biting bugs and spiders, alligators, and sharks off the coast. I would think you would feel right at home. :thumb

Yeh, but the people are strange!
"Oi!"
Bongalong
Warthog
 
Posts: 2686
Joined: 25 Jun 2018, 11:48
spamone: Animal


Return to Global Warming and Australian Energy Market

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest