Surprise: Does heat help or hinder solar panels?

For scientific papers on AGW, record happenings in the Arctic and the Greenland, Himalayan and Antarctic icesheets. Also weatherstorms and higher than average rainfalls and other extreme weather events.

Open to guest posting.

Moderator: johnsmith

Surprise: Does heat help or hinder solar panels?

Postby Squire » 03 Mar 2019, 00:18

Solar panels become less efficient the hotter they get.

Optimum performance is at 25 deg C. "For every degree above that optimum, power output will decline by about half a per cent."

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-03-02/what-happens-to-solar-panels-in-the-heat/10743650

Does heat help or hinder solar panels?
By Daniel Keane

The future of solar energy in Australia has never looked brighter.

Key points:
Demand for electricity is expected to increase in parts of Australia this weekend
Experts say solar panels become less efficient in extreme heat
The perfect temperature for a solar panel is about 25C
Solar firms and farms are springing up across the country, and more than 20 per cent of the nation's homes have solar installations.

There is also largescale investment by state governments in home battery schemes which capture energy generated by rooftop panels, with the aim of driving down household power bills.

But despite their growing popularity, there are still some lingering misconceptions about how solar cells work, especially in very hot weather.

"A solar panel is a bit like the silicon chip inside your computer, if it gets too hot it doesn't work quite so well," University of WA resources scientist Ray Wills said.

Parts of southern Australia, including Adelaide, are currently enduring an unusually hot start to autumn.

Temperatures rising above 40 degrees Celsius are expected across South Australia on Saturday, with temperatures in the high 30s forecast in parts of Victoria.

Will the heat help or hinder solar panels?
A cluster of houses at Alkimos Beach all with rooftop solar panels.
PHOTO: More than 20 per cent of the nation's homes have solar installations. (ABC News: Briana Shepherd)
In sweltering conditions, many will switch on their air conditioners, driving up demand for electricity.

While it is easy to assume that blazing sunshine would boost the performance of solar panels, generating more power, that is not necessarily the case.

"A really hot day, you'll actually produce less power because the solar panel gets so hot," engineer and solar analyst Finn Peacock said.

"The heat from the sun actually degrades the efficiency of the panel.

"So the perfect conditions for solar are strong sun but cold, which is pretty unusual unless you're in the Arctic."

What works best?
In order to work at maximum efficiency, the perfect temperature for a solar panel is about 25C.

But that refers to the temperature of the panel itself, not the atmospheric temperature.

"On a 45C day, I would expect the panel to be at least 75C, so the panel is 50C hotter than the optimum," Mr Peacock said.

For every degree above that optimum, power output will decline by about half a per cent.

"If it's 10C higher than normal, it's underperforming by 5 per cent which is not a lot," University of NSW solar researcher Renate Egan said.
Squire
mountain lion

spamone: Animal

Re: Surprise: Does heat help or hinder solar panels?

Postby DonDeeHippy » 03 Mar 2019, 05:45

just going off my observations of my home solar panel array... the hotter the day the more daily power I make.... that might just be because in summer the sun shines longer. Could also be the hotter the day usually less cloud.

On another note even in 45* heat a solar panel will still work... coal plants are not so lucky. :purple
Bongalong... for some reason women are just so superior to anything that ever existed or will ever exist!
DonDeeHippy
Jaguar

Postby johnsmith » 03 Mar 2019, 08:41

I saw this article. Must admit I was a little surprised.
FD.
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.
johnsmith
Mastodon

Postby HBS Guy » 03 Mar 2019, 11:04

The article is correct.

A sane design for efficient solar panels would have the cells around the edge of glass panels coated/treated to send the right frequencies of light to the edges where the cells are. The cells could be covered by a white on the surface insulated strip with ventilation holes built in.

Don in summer you get lots of bright light so your output increases and the days are also longer like you said. Imagine the electricity you could collect if the efficiency of the cells remained near its peak!

CSIRO has done some work on it, with a rational government after the May elections it may do so again.

Yesterday was a bitch of a day! Car thermometer read 41°C and would have been hotter later in the afternoon. Airconditioning was on nearly all the time and all night—I wanted to sleep! Usually I put it on for 2-3 half hour sessions and that is enough.

Better than East Victoria tho, huge, out of control bushfire!
https://thenewdaily.com.au/news/national/2019/03/02/lightning-strikes-trigger-bushfire-emergency-southeast-of-melbourne
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Return to Global Warming and Australian Energy Market