Electric Vehicals this week

For scientific papers on AGW, record happenings in the Arctic and the Greenland, Himalayan and Antarctic icesheets. Also weatherstorms and higher than average rainfalls and other extreme weather events.

Open to guest posting.

Moderator: johnsmith

Re: Electric Vehicals this week

Postby DonDeeHippy » 04 Jun 2019, 09:20

https://insideevs.com/news/352793/video ... dschleife/

Full lap of the record-breaking run of the Nürburgring Nordschleife in Volkswagen I.D. R takes just 6:05.336 minutes
Volkswagen's team just processed all the recordings from the I.D. R record-breaking run and here we can watch the full lap of the Nürburgring Nordschleife driven by Romain Dumas.
The result of 6:05.336 minutes, at an average speed of 206.96 km/h (128.62 mph), is the emission-free lap record of all time and second only to Porsche 919 Hybrid EVO (5:19.546). The previous EV record was set by the NIO EP9 at 6:45.90 (improved by 40.564 seconds).

Volkswagen I.D. R records with Romain Dumas behind the wheel:
Nürburgring Nordschleife EV record (June 3, 2019): 6:05.336 minutes at an average speed of 206.96 km/h (128.62 mph) over 20.8 km (12.9 mile)
Goodwood Festival of Speed EV record (July, 2018): 43.86 seconds
Pikes Peak International Hill Climb absolute track record (June 24, 2018): 7:57.148 minutes

So the only thing faster than it is a Hybrid :) :purple
Bongalong... for some reason women are just so superior to anything that ever existed or will ever exist!
DonDeeHippy
Cheetah

spamone: Animal

Postby DonDeeHippy » 04 Jun 2019, 09:30

Dax wrote:Official Tesla site and the map of where tesla super chargers are and as it happens, tesla has a few in Tas and they are on the official tesla site and the super charger map. Just plugged into one of the charge points and they has a couple of adapters if it didn't fit, mine did.

https://www.finder.com.au/tesla-superchargers-map

https://www.tesla.com/en_AU/findus/list ... /Australia

https://www.tesla.com/en_AU/supercharger
if you look that is the Tesla Supercharger network, They show 25 sites around Australia and looks like 15 will be opening soon (none in Tasmania)...
Their listed destination chargers are ones that are owned by companies that are compatible with a tesla and as you found out can also charge other types of EV's, the fact you could plug in directly with a non Tesla plug should tell you something....

The destination chargers are not fast chargers (150kwh) and not owned by Tesla :purple
Bongalong... for some reason women are just so superior to anything that ever existed or will ever exist!
DonDeeHippy
Cheetah

Postby Dax » 04 Jun 2019, 10:29

DonDeeHippy wrote:
Dax wrote:Official Tesla site and the map of where tesla super chargers are and as it happens, tesla has a few in Tas and they are on the official tesla site and the super charger map. Just plugged into one of the charge points and they has a couple of adapters if it didn't fit, mine did.

https://www.finder.com.au/tesla-superchargers-map

https://www.tesla.com/en_AU/findus/list ... /Australia

if you look that is the Tesla Supercharger network, They show 25 sites around Australia and looks like 15 will be opening soon (none in Tasmania)...
Their listed destination chargers are ones that are owned by companies that are compatible with a tesla and as you found out can also charge other types of EV's, the fact you could plug in directly with a non Tesla plug should tell you something....

The destination chargers are not fast chargers (150kwh) and not owned by Tesla :purple

Funny how they are branded Tesla chargers t the sites and are on the map as supercharge sites and on the Tesla site as super charger points. It matters not what they are, there are charge points around the country for everyone to use and to me, fully charging in a couple hours is fine, you can only drive so far in a day comfortably, so a super super charger is not necessary in just about all places.

Your original argument of not having chargers for other than telsa, is false and according to Hyundai, I can drive round Aus and find usable charger points and musk has said tesla charge points are for everyone, as is his technology. Didn't mind paying $5 for a full charge much better than paying over $50 for the same distance on small dirty fossil fuels. thinking of go for a long drive in Aus in awhile to test the kona out and the first trip will be to Perth, have already checked and can drive all the way with charge points everywhere, the motels and pubs I've contacted, are happy to allow me to charge via their 240v outlets when staying the night, for free.
Dax
Cheetah

Postby DonDeeHippy » 04 Jun 2019, 10:47

again the Tesla owned supercharger network, only Tesla's can use them, Elon did say any company can use them but no Car company has put their hand up to use them so far ( I guess not a good look to use the oppositions stuff).... Only Tesla's can use the Supercharger network...… It's one of the main selling points, as you can see , with Destination chargers a Tesla can charge anywhere, but only Tesla's can use their fast Chargers.... :purple
DonDeeHippy
Cheetah

Postby Dax » 04 Jun 2019, 12:39

DonDeeHippy wrote:https://www.tesla.com/en_AU/supercharger
again the Tesla owned supercharger network, only Tesla's can use them, Elon did say any company can use them but no Car company has put their hand up to use them so far ( I guess not a good look to use the oppositions stuff).... Only Tesla's can use the Supercharger network...… It's one of the main selling points, as you can see , with Destination chargers a Tesla can charge anywhere, but only Tesla's can use their fast Chargers.... :purple

Can't find anywhere it says no one else can use tesla chargers on your link.
Dax
Cheetah

Postby DonDeeHippy » 04 Jun 2019, 15:46

Dax wrote:

The site is for Tesla customers I guess they didn't worry about it as it doesn't effect Tesla owners...

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tesla_Supercharger
The electric vehicle network consists of 12,011 individual Supercharger stalls at 1,422 locations worldwide, as of January 2019.[1] Tesla Model S was the first car to be able to use the network, followed by the Tesla Model X and Tesla Model 3.
As of May 2019, the network is exclusive to Model S, Model X and Model 3 vehicles. Supercharging hardware is standard on Model S vehicles equipped with a battery of 70 kWh or greater, and optional (with a one-time payment of US$2,000) on Model S vehicles equipped with a 60 kWh battery. The original Roadster is not equipped to charge from the Superchargers, but all future Tesla cars will include the ability

Only Tesla's can use the super chargers, even the original Roadster cant use the Tesla Chargers...….
Sorry you cant use your Kona with the Tesla supercharger network,,, maybe petition Hyundai to join the Tesla chargers.
DonDeeHippy
Cheetah

Postby DonDeeHippy » 04 Jun 2019, 15:54

more info on the Australian release of the Tesla Model 3
https://www.caradvice.com.au/756651/tes ... ing&slot=0
DonDeeHippy
Cheetah

Postby Bongalong » 04 Jun 2019, 16:03

DonDeeHippy wrote:
Dax wrote:

The site is for Tesla customers I guess they didn't worry about it as it doesn't effect Tesla owners...

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tesla_Supercharger
The electric vehicle network consists of 12,011 individual Supercharger stalls at 1,422 locations worldwide, as of January 2019.[1] Tesla Model S was the first car to be able to use the network, followed by the Tesla Model X and Tesla Model 3.
As of May 2019, the network is exclusive to Model S, Model X and Model 3 vehicles. Supercharging hardware is standard on Model S vehicles equipped with a battery of 70 kWh or greater, and optional (with a one-time payment of US$2,000) on Model S vehicles equipped with a 60 kWh battery. The original Roadster is not equipped to charge from the Superchargers, but all future Tesla cars will include the ability

Only Tesla's can use the super chargers, even the original Roadster cant use the Tesla Chargers...….
Sorry you cant use your Kona with the Tesla supercharger network,,, maybe petition Hyundai to join the Tesla chargers.

:bike :bike FACTS ARE WHAT THIS REVOLUTION NEEDS: afterall, a free market does by definition require a free flow of information for all pariticpants otherwise it's not a free market ---> BY DEFINITION!!!!!!

:beer
"Oi!"
Bongalong
Jaguar

Postby pinkeye » 04 Jun 2019, 22:49

well yeah .

this is an emerging tech.

I'll put my hand up for a govt subsidised electrical vehicle.
Otherwise, I guess I'll just have to keep on burning fossil fuels, and adding to pollution.

No public transport where I live.. a motor vehicle is a necessity.
sleeping is good for you
pinkeye
Warthog

Postby Dax » 05 Jun 2019, 05:41

DonDeeHippy wrote:more info on the Australian release of the Tesla Model 3

You should read that link, then you may see why the price here will be at least $73000 if you want something other than just a basic shell and then read the test link on that page and you will see the problems and inadequacies surrounding the model 3, which I didn't know.

As for tesla charge points being exclusively for tesla's, there are just over 2000 tesla's in Aus, most of those are in the cities and would never venture very far out. The economics of installing a charge point exclusively for one vehicle just doesn't add up and as I posted, where I recharged they had adapters for other cars and I just plugged in. Otherwise they would be lucky to get one tesla a year re-charging, so the economics of having adapters for various cars, makes a lot of sense and keeping them exclusively for telsa's which may never turn up makes no sense whatsoever and I'm sure musk knows that, hence the availability of adapters.

After reading the test drive and how they handle, I wouldn't buy a model 3 for Aus conditions, the price you claim is for a very base model with a black colour and black interior and you have to pay extra to get the good bits, which brings the price up a lot. My Kona highlander which cost $66000 on the road, has all the bells and whistles and is very luxurious, you can choose the colour and decor you want for no extra cost and the Swiss police use kona's. With the tesla anything above basic will cost you thousands more, the Victorian police have just purchased a model S, which is a good move as they can really go.
Dax
Cheetah

Postby DonDeeHippy » 05 Jun 2019, 07:55

Dax wrote:
DonDeeHippy wrote:more info on the Australian release of the Tesla Model 3

You should read that link, then you may see why the price here will be at least $73000 if you want something other than just a basic shell and then read the test link on that page and you will see the problems and inadequacies surrounding the model 3, which I didn't know.

As for tesla charge points being exclusively for tesla's, there are just over 2000 tesla's in Aus, most of those are in the cities and would never venture very far out. The economics of installing a charge point exclusively for one vehicle just doesn't add up and as I posted, where I recharged they had adapters for other cars and I just plugged in. Otherwise they would be lucky to get one tesla a year re-charging, so the economics of having adapters for various cars, makes a lot of sense and keeping them exclusively for telsa's which may never turn up makes no sense whatsoever and I'm sure musk knows that, hence the availability of adapters.

After reading the test drive and how they handle, I wouldn't buy a model 3 for Aus conditions, the price you claim is for a very base model with a black colour and black interior and you have to pay extra to get the good bits, which brings the price up a lot. My Kona highlander which cost $66000 on the road, has all the bells and whistles and is very luxurious, you can choose the colour and decor you want for no extra cost and the Swiss police use kona's. With the tesla anything above basic will cost you thousands more, the Victorian police have just purchased a model S, which is a good move as they can really go.

there are a lot of links from that page, which one are you referring too ?

Musk has the Supercharger network that's only for Tesla's so they can have a service no one else can get, for instance with your kona you can't access any fast chargers (over 100kwh) in Australia ,but if you owned a Tesla you could.
If you look worldwide the Tesla supercharger network is the biggest in the world, that is a great selling point...
I mean why would you but a Jag EV for the same price of a Tesla only to have no access to fast chargers...

As you say though it's only attractive if you can use them and in Tasmania there are none so it's not as big a attraction.

To say you only get a shell with the Model3 standard is a bit misleading, it's still a luxury vehicle, it's like saying you only get a BMW shell or a Audi shell.
The only real competition to the Tesla 3 in Australia is the BMW I3 with only 200km of range and a lot smaller and about $20,000more. What is amazing is that Tesla's low price makes it competitive against a Hyundai.
No other luxury car maker has it's cars that can compete with ordinary car makers

The interior of a Model3 standard is still luxurious just check some owner reviews, it's no different to the Kona in that is what you get, There is only one upgrade on the base model , that is the extra autonomous features, like the Kona everything is already high optioned :)
Every car manufacturer has a standard colour then charge more for different colours... why do you think Tesla shouldn't do that as well ?
Tesla are luxury vehicles and Hyundai are just a everyday vehicles(Genesis is their luxury brand like Lexus), what is amazing is Tesla have made a car that is bigger ,more powerful, better range and the same price as them. When you really think about it the Hyundai's should be about $20,000 less than a Tesla, just shows how far they have to go ;)

Although there are none in Tasmania, they are also the only vehicles with access to Fast chargers in Australia, and when other fast chargers are available by other companies they will be able to use them too.

The Vic police just bought a Tesla X, i think they like the idea they can carry 7 people in them, and yes they can still go very fast..:purple
DonDeeHippy
Cheetah

Postby Dax » 05 Jun 2019, 09:17

Your really don't ave a clue do you. there are at least 3 tesla's in Tas that I know of and the tesla charge points are all superchargers according to the tesla web site of charge points, you're just grasping at straws and have not read article or any experience with EV'. The link is the one which is the test done by the Aussie writer in the USA and it points out the misgivings and lack of finish of the model 3, plus its lack off room, because it is much smaller than the other tesla models.

Hyundai didn't release the Kona until they had proved the petrol model here and the E model is just a petrol model with an electric motor, there is ample room in the Kona both back and front and I'm 183cm tall. Not going to argue with you, have my EV, you'll probably never have one so it makes no difference to me what you say, I've already charged at a tesla branded and advertised charge point, they are the real facts and not what you hope them to be.

Real on hands experience always wins out on empty hopeful supposition.
Dax
Cheetah

Postby DonDeeHippy » 05 Jun 2019, 11:54

Dax wrote:Your really don't ave a clue do you. there are at least 3 tesla's in Tas that I know of and the tesla charge points are all superchargers according to the tesla web site of charge points, you're just grasping at straws and have not read article or any experience with EV'. The link is the one which is the test done by the Aussie writer in the USA and it points out the misgivings and lack of finish of the model 3, plus its lack off room, because it is much smaller than the other tesla models.

Hyundai didn't release the Kona until they had proved the petrol model here and the E model is just a petrol model with an electric motor, there is ample room in the Kona both back and front and I'm 183cm tall. Not going to argue with you, have my EV, you'll probably never have one so it makes no difference to me what you say, I've already charged at a tesla branded and advertised charge point, they are the real facts and not what you hope them to be.

Real on hands experience always wins out on empty hopeful supposition.

Yup back to form and just insult, your right the conversation is over Dax..... :purple
DonDeeHippy
Cheetah

Postby DonDeeHippy » 05 Jun 2019, 12:47

here's one for Dax those crazy Germans have figured out how to get more space on their Kona's
DonDeeHippy
Cheetah

Postby HBS Guy » 06 Jun 2019, 17:34

Crazy Germans! They did something poor old lee said was impossible—a battery breakthrough:

It’s no secret that batteries are the most expensive part of an electric vehicle. As such, this is the root of the industry’s problem and a roadblock to making larger strides into the mainstream market. Researchers around the world are racing to solve this problem, and now a team of German scientists say they’ve taken a crucial step in that direction.

The team, from the Fraunhofer Institute for Material and Beam Technology IWS, have devised a new production process for EV batteries that features coating their electrodes with a dry film of chemicals rather than liquids. According to them, this process is less energy-intensive, which means it’s cheaper, and it is also better than the standard process in that it does not involve toxic solvents.

"Our dry transfer coating process aims to noticeably reduce the process costs in electrode coating," project manager Dr. Benjamin Schumm told Phys.org. "Manufacturers can eliminate toxic and expensive solvents and save energy costs during drying. In addition, our technology also facilitates the use of electrode materials that are difficult or even impossible to process wet-chemically."

https://oilprice.com/Energy/Energy-General/Battery-Breakthrough-Solves-Major-Electric-Car-Problem.html
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby DonDeeHippy » 06 Jun 2019, 18:03

HBS Guy wrote:Crazy Germans! They did something poor old lee said was impossible—a battery breakthrough:

It’s no secret that batteries are the most expensive part of an electric vehicle. As such, this is the root of the industry’s problem and a roadblock to making larger strides into the mainstream market. Researchers around the world are racing to solve this problem, and now a team of German scientists say they’ve taken a crucial step in that direction.

The team, from the Fraunhofer Institute for Material and Beam Technology IWS, have devised a new production process for EV batteries that features coating their electrodes with a dry film of chemicals rather than liquids. According to them, this process is less energy-intensive, which means it’s cheaper, and it is also better than the standard process in that it does not involve toxic solvents.

"Our dry transfer coating process aims to noticeably reduce the process costs in electrode coating," project manager Dr. Benjamin Schumm told Phys.org. "Manufacturers can eliminate toxic and expensive solvents and save energy costs during drying. In addition, our technology also facilitates the use of electrode materials that are difficult or even impossible to process wet-chemically."

https://oilprice.com/Energy/Energy-General/Battery-Breakthrough-Solves-Major-Electric-Car-Problem.html

I've read so many of these types of articles about new battery breakthroughs,,,, I look to see if a big auto or oil company want's in with 100's of millions of dollars, wont guarantee it will be a success but it's a good indicator...
there is a lot at stake, Tesla just bought the battery company MAxwell just last month for 500 million dollars , so id say there is something with their new designs.....
It is indeed a exciting time for Electric Vehicals and it seems almost daily there is a improvement happening...
On the old combustion motor news, mazda are betting on making their rotary motors better and that is about the only news I've heard.... :purple
DonDeeHippy
Cheetah

Postby DonDeeHippy » 06 Jun 2019, 18:08

I remember reading about when cars first started to be popular, the engineers of the day said it was physically imposable for a car to go faster than 100km's a hour, it feels like the Electric Vehicle's are at that stage now, every time a "expert" says they cant do something, it get's proven wrong....
DonDeeHippy
Cheetah

Postby HBS Guy » 06 Jun 2019, 19:23

RE and EVs give me hope for my younger family members, the rest will be OK I imagine.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby Bongalong » 06 Jun 2019, 20:08

DonDeeHippy wrote:I remember reading about when cars first started to be popular, the engineers of the day said it was physically imposable for a car to go faster than 100km's a hour, it feels like the Electric Vehicle's are at that stage now, every time a "expert" says they cant do something, it get's proven wrong....

I don't think engineers of the day would have said that: I'm pretty sure it was a rumour started by someone with an interest!
"Oi!"
Bongalong
Jaguar

Postby DonDeeHippy » 07 Jun 2019, 08:50

Bongalong wrote:
DonDeeHippy wrote:I remember reading about when cars first started to be popular, the engineers of the day said it was physically imposable for a car to go faster than 100km's a hour, it feels like the Electric Vehicle's are at that stage now, every time a "expert" says they cant do something, it get's proven wrong....

I don't think engineers of the day would have said that: I'm pretty sure it was a rumour started by someone with an interest!

your right I was wrong, it was flight that they thought you could never get to speed

https://foresight.org/news/negativeComments.php

"...The popular mind often pictures gigantic flying machines speeding across the Atlantic and carrying innumerable passengers in a way analogous to our modern steamships...It seems safe to say that such ideas must be wholly visionary, and even if a machine could get across with one or two passengers the expense would be prohibitive to any but the capitalist who could own his own yacht. Another popular fallacy is to expect enormous speed to be obtained. It must be remembered that the resistance of the air increases as the square of the speed and thework as the cube...If with 30 h.p. we can now attain a speed of 40 m.p.h., then in order to reach a speed of 100 m.p.h., we must use a motor capable of 470 h.p...it is clear that with our present devices there is no hope of competing for racing speed with either our locomotives or our automobiles."

But looking for where i read it i found this jem about electric vehicals

https://www.thevintagenews.com/2018/02/ ... ctric-car/
One of those entrepreneurs was Camille Jenatzy, the son of a Belgian rubber-goods magnate and one of the pioneering designers, manufacturers, and drivers of electric cars. In 1898, Jenatzy’s company started competing with a French automotive company named Jeantaud. Both companies wanted to manufacture a car that would be implemented as the official taxicab of Paris. At the time, there was no better way of comparing two road vehicles than an attempt at breaking the land-speed record. Jenatzy, also known as the “Red Devil” because of his red hair and brutish looks, managed to accelerate his “dogcart” electric car to 49.9 mph after several attempts, but Jeantaud’s equally competitive driver, a French count named Gaston de Chasseloup-Laubat, achieved a superior speed of 57.6 mph.

so they where the quickest cars and just over 100 years later look to be again.... :purple
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
DonDeeHippy
Cheetah

Postby DonDeeHippy » 08 Jun 2019, 11:52

https://www.teslarati.com/tesla-sentry- ... n-model-3/
Tesla’s Sentry Mode has once again captured an act of vandalism, this time identifying a Model 3 owner’s neighbor inconspicuously spraying acid on the side of their vehicle at night in Anaheim, California. The motivation for the incident is thought to be related to parking disagreements between the suspect and the owner.
In video footage captured shortly after vehicle Mode was activated and later uploaded to Twitter, a man is seen slowly encircling the car with a bottle in hand, spraying its contents around the circumference of the vehicle. The substance in the container was not specifically identified, but the owner described it as a skin irritant similar to battery acid. At this time, a report has been filed with local police on the matter, and a damage assessment and repair estimate are pending completion before additional courses of action are pursued.

One more reason to own a Tesla, $66,000 thousand for the cheapest in Australia now :purple
DonDeeHippy
Cheetah

Postby DonDeeHippy » 09 Jun 2019, 09:17

https://electrek.co/2019/06/03/lift-efo ... urf-board/

The Lift eFoil is part of the small but growing electric watersports market. It’s basically an electric surfboard with hydrofoil that lets you raise up out of the water and glide along like a silent, airborne dolphin. The sleek and expertly engineered board is really something special and unlike anything I’ve ridden before. Read on and check out the video below to see how my test ride went, and what makes the eFoil such an awesome ride.

Rated to work for a hour, sounds like fun...
DonDeeHippy
Cheetah

Postby HBS Guy » 09 Jun 2019, 10:22

Electrickery is everywhere, eh?
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby Bongalong » 09 Jun 2019, 17:09

DonDeeHippy wrote:https://electrek.co/2019/06/03/lift-efoil-electric-hydrofoil-surf-board/

The Lift eFoil is part of the small but growing electric watersports market. It’s basically an electric surfboard with hydrofoil that lets you raise up out of the water and glide along like a silent, airborne dolphin. The sleek and expertly engineered board is really something special and unlike anything I’ve ridden before. Read on and check out the video below to see how my test ride went, and what makes the eFoil such an awesome ride.

Rated to work for a hour, sounds like fun...

I wonder if you could ride waves with it in the green room and surf Nazares and shite?!!?

How fast does it go?
"Oi!"
Bongalong
Jaguar

Postby Dax » 10 Jun 2019, 13:37

The revolution is well underway, in the next year or so, we will have a huge number of EV's to chose from and now Toyota and Subaru have taken up the challenge together.

"Toyota and Subaru to develop joint electric car platform
Toyota and Subaru will join forces to form a platform for EVs
1 / 1 photos
Toyota and Subaru will jointly develop a new electric vehicle platform suitable for mid-sized and large passenger cars, including sedans and crossovers.

In addition to this, the two Japanese automakers will also use the new EV architecture to develop a new c-segment crossover together, with each brand selling a version of this vehicle.

According to the two companies, the new platform will use Toyota's electrification technologies and Subaru's all-wheel drive expertise. Both carmakers will shift their existing electric car development over to this new project."

https://www.drive.com.au/news/toyota-an ... rce=theage
Dax
Cheetah

PreviousNext

Return to Global Warming and Australian Energy Market