Electric Vehicles this week

For scientific papers on AGW, record happenings in the Arctic and the Greenland, Himalayan and Antarctic icesheets. Also weatherstorms and higher than average rainfalls and other extreme weather events.

Open to guest posting.

Moderator: johnsmith

Re: Electric Vehicals this week

Postby Bongalong » 26 Apr 2019, 11:07

Sprintcyclist wrote:Am thinking our next car might well be an electric one.
Does toyota have one yet? their hybrids are pretty good, better than a diesel

My wife has an electric bike, it is very good.
When we retire, we can do pretty much all our shopping using the bicycles.
Sell one car. Use our bikes most days.

I think the bikes can get very expensive but I've heard they are good.
"Oi!"
Bongalong
Warthog

spamone: Animal

Postby DonDeeHippy » 26 Apr 2019, 11:30

Bongalong wrote:

about a $1000 for a cheep one from ebay…
$2500 for a good one, a big part of the cost is the Battery..... :purple
Bongalong... for some reason women are just so superior to anything that ever existed or will ever exist!
DonDeeHippy
Jaguar

Postby Sprintcyclist » 26 Apr 2019, 11:39

DonDeeHippy wrote:
Bongalong wrote:

about a $1000 for a cheep one from ebay…
$2500 for a good one, a big part of the cost is the Battery..... :purple

Yes, hers was $3K or thereabouts.

I would not buy a bike that was cheap.
I only buy bikes I love to ride.

If it is a lovely bike, it'll be one of the best buys you have ever done. Regardless of the price.
I had a 'Harry Quinn' bike about 35 years ago. Stunning bike.

If you buy a bike you do not love to ride, you won't ride it. It'll be a total waste of money.
Sprintcyclist
Jaguar

Postby Bongalong » 26 Apr 2019, 13:40

I had a bike get stolen from me 12 months ago. It had the tyres that pump up to 100 psi and I crashed it about 6 hours after I bought it. Luckily it was still okay and the cops took it home for me after putting me in the ambulance. They didn't even take my third bottle of wine in my back-pack <-- nice guys :beer

Then, when I got out of emergency, I remembered that the guys that sold it to me told me that the problem with this bike was that it goes too fast... I wouln't have been going more than 5km/h when I went over the handle bars.

Lucky I had a helmet on but it didn't protect my nose: f'n ouch!
"Oi!"
Bongalong
Warthog

Postby Sprintcyclist » 26 Apr 2019, 13:48

Bongalong wrote:I had a bike get stolen from me 12 months ago. It had the tyres that pump up to 100 psi and I crashed it about 6 hours after I bought it. Luckily it was still okay and the cops took it home for me after putting me in the ambulance. They didn't even take my third bottle of wine in my back-pack <-- nice guys :beer

Then, when I got out of emergency, I remembered that the guys that sold it to me told me that the problem with this bike was that it goes too fast... I wouln't have been going more than 5km/h when I went over the handle bars.

Ouch, a crash from a bike often hurts

Cops are good.
Sprintcyclist
Jaguar

Postby Bongalong » 26 Apr 2019, 15:12

Sprintcyclist wrote:
Bongalong wrote:I had a bike get stolen from me 12 months ago. It had the tyres that pump up to 100 psi and I crashed it about 6 hours after I bought it. Luckily it was still okay and the cops took it home for me after putting me in the ambulance. They didn't even take my third bottle of wine in my back-pack <-- nice guys :beer

Ouch, a crash from a bike often hurts

Cops are good.

Yeh, cops can be really good sports when they see you f*** up royal: i was checking out another accident and the ambulace was unfortunatley not needed.... i was pretending my racing bike was a bmx and I was mucking around on the curbing around the bustop lol... it was a classic but yeh it bloody hurt- no hands etc... (They reckon i was out for about three seconds so ... luckily I wasn't going at speed i suppose :bike )
"Oi!"
Bongalong
Warthog

Postby Dax » 26 Apr 2019, 15:20

I have two hummer electric mountain bikes that also fold up, had them for close to ten years and the batteries which are lifepo4, still hold 100% capacity. They have a 8 gears, high and low range electrics, mine only has high range now as dropped it in the bush, smashed the controls and never bothered to fix it. I carry a spare battery for long rides, which gives me a range of close to 80 klms just on battery. They get along at 25-35kph and just love them, carry them in the band trailer so when visiting new areas, can jump on the bike and cruise the town or head into the bush for a look see.

The bikes were designed and built for the US special forces to be dropped with them and used to get round, don't know if that ever happened, but I saw them at a gun show in the USA and bought two on the spot, they even delivered them to Aus for me and cost well below a grand each. My neighbour uses one to go to the local shops, she bought one of those tow along bike trailers, puts her dog in it and whatever she buys. Not sue what the dog thinks, but he seems to love getting in the trailer as it was designed to carry kids.
Dax
Cheetah

Postby DonDeeHippy » 27 Apr 2019, 06:41

At first, sales will start in the UK, but several other countries will be added soon.
The right-hand drive Tesla Model 3 is finally entering the market, almost two years since the production of the left-hand drive version started.

Elon Musk recently announced that next week the order page will be opened for the UK.
Shortly thereafter, the design studio will be launched also in Japan, Australia, New Zealand & Hong Kong.
As in the case of other markets, we assume that initially, Tesla will sell only top of the line versions - Long Range all-wheel drive and Long Range Performance. Then, the offer will be expanded to RWD and Standard Plus battery versions.

https://insideevs.com/news/346605/tesla ... and-drive/

we should start seeing these amazing cars on the road soon in Aus, yeah :purple
Bongalong... for some reason women are just so superior to anything that ever existed or will ever exist!
DonDeeHippy
Jaguar

Postby Bongalong » 28 Apr 2019, 16:11

DonDeeHippy wrote:At first, sales will start in the UK, but several other countries will be added soon.
The right-hand drive Tesla Model 3 is finally entering the market, almost two years since the production of the left-hand drive version started.

Elon Musk recently announced that next week the order page will be opened for the UK.
Shortly thereafter, the design studio will be launched also in Japan, Australia, New Zealand & Hong Kong.
As in the case of other markets, we assume that initially, Tesla will sell only top of the line versions - Long Range all-wheel drive and Long Range Performance. Then, the offer will be expanded to RWD and Standard Plus battery versions.

Yeh, when? Good "news" but the question remains: "When?"

:bike :bike
"Oi!"
Bongalong
Warthog

Postby Sprintcyclist » 28 Apr 2019, 16:50

Dax wrote:I have two hummer electric mountain bikes that also fold up, had them for close to ten years and the batteries which are lifepo4, still hold 100% capacity. They have a 8 gears, high and low range electrics, mine only has high range now as dropped it in the bush, smashed the controls and never bothered to fix it. I carry a spare battery for long rides, which gives me a range of close to 80 klms just on battery. They get along at 25-35kph and just love them, carry them in the band trailer so when visiting new areas, can jump on the bike and cruise the town or head into the bush for a look see.

The bikes were designed and built for the US special forces to be dropped with them and used to get round, don't know if that ever happened, but I saw them at a gun show in the USA and bought two on the spot, they even delivered them to Aus for me and cost well below a grand each. My neighbour uses one to go to the local shops, she bought one of those tow along bike trailers, puts her dog in it and whatever she buys. Not sue what the dog thinks, but he seems to love getting in the trailer as it was designed to carry kids.

I have never heard of those before, thanks.

They sound excellent.
Sprintcyclist
Jaguar

Postby DonDeeHippy » 29 Apr 2019, 08:26

Bongalong wrote:
DonDeeHippy wrote:At first, sales will start in the UK, but several other countries will be added soon.

Yeh, when? Good "news" but the question remains: "When?"

:bike :bike

shortly Bongy :purple
DonDeeHippy
Jaguar

Postby Dax » 29 Apr 2019, 09:29

The hyundai kona with a range of over 400klms is now available in Aus, I'm test driving one tomorrow in Hobart and delivery would be within 4 weeks they tell me. For a price of just over $60000 on the road and lifetime battery/motor warranty, may not wait for a rivian. You can also get the hyundai loniq for $45000 it only has a range of 250klms and the new nissan leaf with the same range is about the same price.

https://www.hyundai.com.au/cars/suvs/kona/kona-electric

There should be many more available in Aus as the year goes on and next year, the choice will be wide and prices will come down, as distance ranges go up with the introduction of li-graphene batteries, almost doubling density they say and increasing range dramatically.
Dax
Cheetah

Postby Sprintcyclist » 29 Apr 2019, 09:52

Dax wrote:The hyundai kona with a range of over 400klms is now available in Aus, I'm test driving one tomorrow in Hobart and delivery would be within 4 weeks they tell me. For a price of just over $60000 on the road and lifetime battery/motor warranty, may not wait for a rivian. You can also get the hyundai loniq for $45000 it only has a range of 250klms and the new nissan leaf with the same range is about the same price.

There should be many more available in Aus as the year goes on and next year, the choice will be wide and prices will come down, as distance ranges go up with the introduction of li-graphene batteries, almost doubling density they say and increasing range dramatically.

Sounds good.

I was looking at buying a 5 year old camry for $14k ish

Am wondering how electric cars will affect the petrol second hand car market.
Sprintcyclist
Jaguar

Postby Dax » 29 Apr 2019, 10:43

Sprintcyclist wrote:
Dax wrote:The hyundai kona with a range of over 400klms is now available in Aus, I'm test driving one tomorrow in Hobart and delivery would be within 4 weeks they tell me. For a price of just over $60000 on the road and lifetime battery/motor warranty, may not wait for a rivian. You can also get the hyundai loniq for $45000 it only has a range of 250klms and the new nissan leaf with the same range is about the same price.

Sounds good.

I was looking at buying a 5 year old camry for $14k ish

Am wondering how electric cars will affect the petrol second hand car market.

My prediction would be, within 5 years second hand petrol cars will be cheap as chips and petrol very expensive. Once Ev's take off here, they will take over pretty quick and as petrol prices will only rise, the economics of a petrol car will not be worthwhile. We passed economically viable peak oil years ago and already they are not able to keep up with demand as it rises, which can only mean one outcome, expensive and breaks in supply. Our government is so brilliant, it only keeps 14 days reserve fuel supplies, with no refineries and having exported most of our oil supplies overseas.

I"m sticking with electric everything, as it is viable economically logical and no need to rely upon overseas interests. Sadly the clones will re-elect in the current party system and nothing will change. A; they are interested is staying in power and supporting their donor base, nothing else and the current election campaign proves that. Not one party has looked into the future and put forward policies to represent and cope with what the future will be.
Dax
Cheetah

Postby Sprintcyclist » 29 Apr 2019, 11:38

Dax wrote:............ My prediction would be, within 5 years second hand petrol cars will be cheap as chips and petrol very expensive. Once Ev's take off here, they will take over pretty quick and as petrol prices will only rise, the economics of a petrol car will not be worthwhile. We passed economically viable peak oil years ago and already they are not able to keep up with demand as it rises, which can only mean one outcome, expensive and breaks in supply. Our government is so brilliant, it only keeps 14 days reserve fuel supplies, with no refineries and having exported most of our oil supplies overseas.

I"m sticking with electric everything, as it is viable economically logical and no need to rely upon overseas interests. Sadly the clones will re-elect in the current party system and nothing will change. A; they are interested is staying in power and supporting their donor base, nothing else and the current election campaign proves that. Not one party has looked into the future and put forward policies to represent and cope with what the future will be.

Overall I quite agree.
leave it up the free market and the price for used petrol cars will be always right.
Everything will be taken onto account by the old seller or the new buyer.

It's hard to see petrol ever becoming cheap.
As electric cars are more popular, the petrol usage will drop. Petrol stations will try to make the same profit from fewer customers.

Electric 'everything' with more solar panels and new age batterys for storage sounds a wise idea.
Electric car, electric bike, one of the 18V sets of various cordless tools, leaf blower, electric lawn mower

In that scenario, would going off grid and self sufficient for electricity be an extension ?
Sprintcyclist
Jaguar

Postby Bongalong » 29 Apr 2019, 13:32

Can't get much better than that?

How many years of driving would you suspect you get your money backin/ or atleast consider the deal more than worth it?

(Also, would you anticipate any concerns charging your vehicle as, clearly, such things would have to be the ultimate bottlneck of concern for the public before it decided to buy electric cars in any number.)
"Oi!"
Bongalong
Warthog

Postby Bongalong » 29 Apr 2019, 13:51

Sprintcyclist wrote:
Dax wrote:............ My prediction would be, within 5 years second hand petrol cars will be cheap as chips and petrol very expensive. Once Ev's take off here, they will take over pretty quick and as petrol prices will only rise, the economics of a petrol car will not be worthwhile. We passed economically viable peak oil years ago and already they are not able to keep up with demand as it rises, which can only mean one outcome, expensive and breaks in supply. Our government is so brilliant, it only keeps 14 days reserve fuel supplies, with no refineries and having exported most of our oil supplies overseas.

Overall I quite agree.
leave it up the free market and the price for used petrol cars will be always right.

As electric cars are more popular, the petrol usage will drop. Petrol stations will try to make the same profit from fewer customers.

Electric 'everything' with more solar panels and new age batterys for storage sounds a wise idea.
Electric car, electric bike, one of the 18V sets of various cordless tools, leaf blower, electric lawn mower

In that scenario, would going off grid and self sufficient for electricity be an extension ?

There is no such thing as a free-market: wake up buddy :bike
"Oi!"
Bongalong
Warthog

Postby Bongalong » 29 Apr 2019, 14:03

Sprintcyclist wrote:

Overall I quite agree.

Petrol stations is a very hard game to make money from: most will throw in the towel leaving less suppliers.... oh, except the biggest: BIG BUSINESS IS BIG BUSINESS FOR A REASON. WHERE HAVE ALL THE SMALL GUYS GONE...? YEH, THAT'S WHAT WILL HAPPEN AGAIN: MORE CONSOLIDATION AND THE BIGGEST MAN WINS. SAME OLD ART OF WAR- THE LAW OF THE JUNGLE REMAINS BUT DON'T GO SAYING IT'S THE FREE MARKET BECAUSE THERE IS NO SUCH THING.
"Oi!"
Bongalong
Warthog

Postby Sprintcyclist » 29 Apr 2019, 14:36

............ the fact that electricity is roughly half the cost of gasoline is a big part of that equation as well. ............

https://cleantechnica.com/2018/09/30/regenerative-braking-is-one-of-the-joys-of-driving-an-ev/

So it is not 'driving for free'
Sprintcyclist
Jaguar

Postby Dax » 29 Apr 2019, 14:39

Sprintcyclist wrote:

Overall I quite agree.

I'm off grid and have been for decades, but the last ten years has seen a dramatic improvement in energy storage and now all I need is an EV, then everything I use will be of grid. Had rechargeable tools for over a decade as well, including electric chainsaws which come in very handy when on the road and needing firewood. You can cut some wood and no one will hear what you're doing. Have 4.2kw of solar on my house, 10kw on my workshop, 1500w on the bus.

Just bought another 20kw of solar, 1kw which will power the bore pumps and the rest a small pump hydro, which will only work when the sun shines. Have a long drop from where the house is to one of my dams and going to use that for an experimental pump hydro, it will pump to a dam I've dug on top of the hill and then flow down a 4inch pipe down to 1inch which will drive a turbine and provide power hopefully. If that doesn't work, will move it higher up the mountain and try from a higher level.
The aim is to keep my batteries for emergencies and use the pump hydro for running the house and workshop.
Dax
Cheetah

Postby Sprintcyclist » 29 Apr 2019, 14:48

Dax wrote:
............... I'm off grid and have been for decades, but the last ten years has seen a dramatic improvement in energy storage and now all I need is an EV, then everything I use will be of grid. Had rechargeable tools for over a decade as well, including electric chainsaws which come in very handy when on the road and needing firewood. You can cut some wood and no one will hear what you're doing. Have 4.2kw of solar on my house, 10kw on my workshop, 1500w on the bus.

Just bought another 20kw of solar, 1kw which will power the bore pumps and the rest a small pump hydro, which will only work when the sun shines. Have a long drop from where the house is to one of my dams and going to use that for an experimental pump hydro, it will pump to a dam I've dug on top of the hill and then flow down a 4inch pipe down to 1inch which will drive a turbine and provide power hopefully. If that doesn't work, will move it higher up the mountain and try from a higher level.
The aim is to keep my batteries for emergencies and use the pump hydro for running the house and workshop.

that is terrific.
We are toying with the idea of a tree change for retiring in a few years.
Off grid electric would be a good possibility.

that is a lot of KW of power you have, 35Kw .
The hydro idea is good. I like it
Sprintcyclist
Jaguar

Postby Dax » 29 Apr 2019, 14:53

Bongalong wrote:

Can't get much better than that?

How many years of driving would you suspect you get your money backin/ or atleast consider the deal more than worth it?

(Also, would you anticipate any concerns charging your vehicle as, clearly, such things would have to be the ultimate bottlneck of concern for the public before it decided to buy electric cars in any number.)

Had my electric bike for more than 10 years and still has 100% capacity, same with my other lifepo4 packs, used properly they should last at least 25 years.You never get your money back with an ice car, it's like a boat, bottomless money pit. However with an EV, the savings in fuel and maintenance will get your money back if you don't have an expensive luxury ev and resale values will last because the motors and batteries should carry lifetime guarantees.

People don't realise how dramatically the economy will change when we go all electric, the idiot politicians arr doing nothing about preparing for an all electric world and that wil collapse our society very quickly as all the money they;ve got from fossil fuels, will no longer be there, then the shit w3illhgit the fan and clones will find themselves without support syrte4m and many other things they rely upon in their fantasy land lifestyles.
Dax
Cheetah

Postby Bongalong » 29 Apr 2019, 15:48

Because the economy will change so quickly is probably why everyone is so gun-shy! Anarchy is anarchy, is it not!!
"Oi!"
Bongalong
Warthog

Postby DonDeeHippy » 01 May 2019, 06:01

https://www.tesla.com/en_AU/model3

Deliveries in Right Hand Drive markets begin in the second half of 2019.

A change on the Australian web site. :purple
DonDeeHippy
Jaguar

Postby HBS Guy » 01 May 2019, 06:17

Excellent!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

PreviousNext

Return to Global Warming and Australian Energy Market