Electric Vehicles this week

For scientific papers on AGW, record happenings in the Arctic and the Greenland, Himalayan and Antarctic icesheets. Also weatherstorms and higher than average rainfalls and other extreme weather events.

Open to guest posting.

Moderator: johnsmith

Re: Electric Vehicals this week

Postby Dax » 21 Apr 2019, 13:35

DonDeeHippy wrote:
Dax wrote:
pinkeye wrote:5 years down the track we'll be wondering what all the fuss was about.

Five years time, you'll be wondering whether you will survive the next year and not about your car.

As for EV's, this and next year will be the eye openers, Rivian is introducing their cars here and they are half the price of tesla and go further in 4x4 luxury with a range of 680klm. Next year MG will introduce their low cost 4 door EV which has a range of 480klm and under $50000, then there's Hyundai, who will introduce their low cost go anywhere EV with a range of 640klms and cheaper again. Add the new Kia and great wall EV's, plus many other manufacturers entering the market, will really open up the ev market and pricing will drop dramatically then.

Love the wonderful spelling of the threads heading and the author probably has a degree in emptiness, certainly not the English language.

sorry my spelling offends you Dax....
We didn't all goto university like some.

Hey the Rivian is a 4wd F100 beater and will only start going into production next year.... it will be years before we see any in Australia (right hand drive models). Sorry but they are not half the price of Tesla's, they are very expensive because they are very high end including their SUV (the Tesla Model X competitor). As they will be starting off it will take years before they start selling in Numbers as did Tesla. Out of all the start ups in the west though they seem to be the only ones that are setting themselves up right like Tesla did.
Ohh and even the Rivian isn't anywhere near as efficient as the Tesla , the rivian SUV goes 645km with a 180kwh battery and the X goes 565 km's with a 100kwh.... Other manufacturers are getting better but a long way behind.

The MG looks promising a hopefully its a well made Chinese car and taken seriously unlike the other chinese cars around. It wont have to much range though as it only has a 45kwh battery pack (the Hyundai Kona has a 64kwh battery and can do 400km's) so it might get 250-300km's range which is still better than the Nissan Leaf....If its only $40,000 it might do well ,even though its relatively low range and built and owned by a Chinese company.

Hyundai is the same with the 640km car, they haven't even released a name for their concept. Hyundai are however making some nice EV's but are plagued with battery supply.

Tesla with their new low cost Model 3 is the best value for money in EV's beating the Hyundai in the USA, so i couldn't see why when they are released in Australia it wont be the same.
The biggest problem with most car makers if they make good EV's they will loose sales on their higher profit, cheaper to make ICE vehicle's. :purple

Couldn't care less about your spelling, just amazed such bad spelling is left online so long without being corrected, no different to the shocking spelling and grammar used in major media outlets. Never went to school from before I turned 8, but made up for it against the wishes of society and family.

Sorry to disappoint you, but the Rivian SUV, will be here next year and that's direct from the manufacturer and have already put an order in for one. They tell me building a right hand drive is easy with EV's and will be making one this year for promotional purposes. As for price, my quote was well below a tesla and got my tesla deposit back. Have the first test drive of one when it comes to Aus and will be going to an international EV show in the next couple of months in Europe, hope to test drive a few and then will make a decision and there will be a Rivian there as well to test drive. When I come back, will know which one will be getting. Although have been leaning towards an electric plane because there are already a couple which can be purchased now. So will get a test flight in one of those and maybe put off the EV car and get an electric plane, which are going to be much cheaper than an ice aircraft. They also come with attached parachutes and you can buy them now, Airbuses E-fan is available for purchase, but only carries 2 so that's out for me.

Things will change by next year and prices will come down even more, so may have to organise my finances for a plane an car EV, as that;s what will probably happen once I get over there, Would love to fly my own plane back to Aus and be the first to do it with an electric aircraft.
Dax
Cheetah

spamone: Animal

Postby DonDeeHippy » 21 Apr 2019, 14:04

Preorder the R1S SUV to experience the thrill of navigating the world in an Electric Adventure Vehicle. Starting price of $72,500 USD
Tesla x 88,000 USD

Considering the Cheep rivian wont be available for sale for the first year, it will cost more :)
so id say they will cost around 180k Australian dollars as the X costs around 200k.
The Rivian R1T/R1S pairing will reach showrooms in the US, Canada and Mexico in late 2020, followed by Europe and China in 2021. Australia will follow shortly thereafter.
yup so if all goes well you could get one in a few years :) ( a bit longer if you want the cheepest one)
Please Note: Preorders require a deposit of $1,000. Production will begin in 2020. Fully-equipped vehicles with the highest performance level and largest battery pack will enter production first. Our 180 kWh and 135 kWh packs will be available at launch with the 105 kWh to follow in 2021.
:purple
Bongalong... for some reason women are just so superior to anything that ever existed or will ever exist!
DonDeeHippy
Jaguar

Postby Dax » 21 Apr 2019, 15:29

DonDeeHippy wrote:Preorder the R1S SUV to experience the thrill of navigating the world in an Electric Adventure Vehicle. Starting price of $72,500 USD
Tesla x 88,000 USD

Considering the Cheep rivian wont be available for sale for the first year, it will cost more :)
so id say they will cost around 180k Australian dollars as the X costs around 200k.
The Rivian R1T/R1S pairing will reach showrooms in the US, Canada and Mexico in late 2020, followed by Europe and China in 2021. Australia will follow shortly thereafter.
yup so if all goes well you could get one in a few years :) ( a bit longer if you want the cheepest one)
Please Note: Preorders require a deposit of $1,000. Production will begin in 2020. Fully-equipped vehicles with the highest performance level and largest battery pack will enter production first. Our 180 kWh and 135 kWh packs will be available at launch with the 105 kWh to follow in 2021.
:purple

You have to understand how the market in the USA and EU works to get a good deal, only interested in the 180kw SUV and it will be purchased in the USA or EU, so will get the federal tax rebate and depending on which state or country decide to purchase it from, will get that states rebate as well. The tesla order was for an S, so will save a lot of money and can import it without our own government taxes, as a promotional vehicle and through the various corporate loop holes we have here. Same if was to buy a E plane, can bring that into the country tax free as well as a promotion, or as a private visitor plane, sell it to myself here and avoid the taxes. Waiting for Ev's to come here is ridiculous and will be expensive for the next few years, much better to get one overseas and import it via tax loop holes. You save heaps of money doing things that way, if you have the resources and contacts.

You can also save a heap by using foreign exchange rates, by changing your money into various country denominations until you get more than you would by changing it directly into the currency of the country you are going to deal in and it does depend on timing to get a good deal. Got my lifepo4 that way and saved thousands.
Dax
Cheetah

Postby DonDeeHippy » 22 Apr 2019, 07:16

Id be carefull Dax, your going to buy a untested vehicle and a unsupported country with no backup, and really no one trained to even try to fix the thing, at least with Tesla if it breaks down you can take it to their store to get fixed.... if your getting the top one it will still cost ya around $150,000 even with your dodgy plans.... I'm not sure how you think you will get the American subsidies as the federal one is a Tax Break and the state ones you have to be a resident but I wish you well..
I myself wouldn't get a untested unsupported vehicle with that much high Tech stuff in it.

I remember in the 80-90 with the Japanese second hand imports, even though some looked like the cars on the road if they broke down you just about had to throw them away, this would be 1000 times worse as no mechanic would even know where to start. :purple
Bongalong... for some reason women are just so superior to anything that ever existed or will ever exist!
DonDeeHippy
Jaguar

Postby Dax » 22 Apr 2019, 11:25

DonDeeHippy wrote:Id be carefull Dax, your going to buy a untested vehicle and a unsupported country with no backup, and really no one trained to even try to fix the thing, at least with Tesla if it breaks down you can take it to their store to get fixed.... if your getting the top one it will still cost ya around $150,000 even with your dodgy plans.... I'm not sure how you think you will get the American subsidies as the federal one is a Tax Break and the state ones you have to be a resident but I wish you well..
I myself wouldn't get a untested unsupported vehicle with that much high Tech stuff in it.

I remember in the 80-90 with the Japanese second hand imports, even though some looked like the cars on the road if they broke down you just about had to throw them away, this would be 1000 times worse as no mechanic would even know where to start. :purple

Didn't make it this far in life without being careful, have been playing round with people who have built EV's since the 1980s and am fully aware of the pitfalls, if any and yet to find one in rationally built cars. If and when I bring an EV to Aus, it will only be one that can be fixed and the Rivian has been fully tested over the last 3 years. They are building left and right hand ev's at the same time because it's so easy and have already sourced agents here. The bloke who runs it has spend a lot of time in Aus and they have designed their cars to suit our conditions, they believe we have the most taxing conditions for vehicles and if they get it right for this country, then they have got it right for everywhere.

Know people who have tesla's and they are constantly having trouble with them because they are so high tech, my osteo has already bad her autonomous disabled because it tried to drive her off the road when she tested it because the lines disappeared and it didn't know what to do. the Rivian as are many other ev's are stronger then teslas which are road cars, not dirt road cars. Rivian have a skateboard type chassis, this set up is much safer than the conglomeration that is tesla, which by the way is nearly impossible to work on without pulling it apart.

You don't understand what I'm talking about when it come to US tax breaks and have no experience in dealing with them, I have on many occasions successfully. You forget I have many friends who live in the USA and in many states, their taxation system is like swiss cheese and easily cut into when you know how and like lots of smart yanks, most of my friends are business people and they know how. It's not much different to the Aus tax system, which is designed to suit the rich and corporate world, so if you approach it from that angle, who pays tax, certainly none of the smart people do, and that's borne out by our executive and corporate tax returns.

Never know when I get over there and go to a few car shows, may change my mind and get something else, but it will have to be an off road vehicle. If you do a lot of travelling in this country, only fools would have a road sedan and as rivian is so far the only real off road 4x4 SUV designed for off road with a decent underbody clearance and range, there is little choice.
Dax
Cheetah

Postby DonDeeHippy » 22 Apr 2019, 11:31

Dax wrote:
DonDeeHippy wrote:Id be carefull Dax, your going to buy a untested vehicle and a unsupported country with no backup, and really no one trained to even try to fix the thing, at least with Tesla if it breaks down you can take it to their store to get fixed.... if your getting the top one it will still cost ya around $150,000 even with your dodgy plans.... I'm not sure how you think you will get the American subsidies as the federal one is a Tax Break and the state ones you have to be a resident but I wish you well..

Didn't make it this far in life without being careful, have been playing round with people who have built EV's since the 1980s and am fully aware of the pitfalls, if any and yet to find one in rationally built cars. If and when I bring an EV to Aus, it will only be one that can be fixed and the Rivian has been fully tested over the last 3 years. They are building left and right hand ev's at the same time because it's so easy and have already sourced agents here. The bloke who runs it has spend a lot of time in Aus and they have designed their cars to suit our conditions, they believe we have the most taxing conditions for vehicles and if they get it right for this country, then they have got it right for everywhere.

Know people who have tesla's and they are constantly having trouble with them because they are so high tech, my osteo has already bad her autonomous disabled because it tried to drive her off the road when she tested it because the lines disappeared and it didn't know what to do. the Rivian as are many other ev's are stronger then teslas which are road cars, not dirt road cars. Rivian have a skateboard type chassis, this set up is much safer than the conglomeration that is tesla, which by the way is nearly impossible to work on without pulling it apart.

You don't understand what I'm talking about when it come to US tax breaks and have no experience in dealing with them, I have on many occasions successfully. You forget I have many friends who live in the USA and in many states, their taxation system is like swiss cheese and easily cut into when you know how and like lots of smart yanks, most of my friends are business people and they know how. It's not much different to the Aus tax system, which is designed to suit the rich and corporate world, so if you approach it from that angle, who pays tax, certainly none of the smart people do, and that's borne out by our executive and corporate tax returns.

Never know when I get over there and go to a few car shows, may change my mind and get something else, but it will have to be an off road vehicle. If you do a lot of travelling in this country, only fools would have a road sedan and as rivian is so far the only real off road 4x4 SUV designed for off road with a decent underbody clearance and range, there is little choice.

too true the Bollinger looks like a old 50's land rover and the Workhorse have seemingly stopped work on their ute. ohh and you do know the Tesla is a skateboard too. :purple

well wish you luck and hope to see these fine vehicle's on the road soon in Australia. :bike
DonDeeHippy
Jaguar

Postby Bongalong » 22 Apr 2019, 12:49

DonDeeHippy wrote:
pinkeye wrote:5 years down the track we'll be wondering what all the fuss was about.

I hope so Pink, its just getting a foot in the door with Aussie politics seems to be the hardest part. :purple

5 years is nothing.... no momentum will occur in 5 years because the electricty grid needs 'refurbishment' --> BIG TIME :roll
"Oi!"
Bongalong
Warthog

Postby Bongalong » 22 Apr 2019, 12:52

Dax wrote:

Five years time, you'll be wondering whether you will survive the next year and not about your car.

As for EV's, this and next year will be the eye openers, Rivian is introducing their cars here and they are half the price of tesla and go further in 4x4 luxury with a range of 680klm. Next year MG will introduce their low cost 4 door EV which has a range of 480klm and under $50000, then there's Hyundai, who will introduce their low cost go anywhere EV with a range of 640klms and cheaper again. Add the new Kia and great wall EV's, plus many other manufacturers entering the market, will really open up the ev market and pricing will drop dramatically then.

Love the wonderful spelling of the threads heading and the author probably has a degree in emptiness, certainly not the English language.

Um, sounds good: just one question--> how come the general public doesn't know about what is coming?

:bike :bike :tweed
"Oi!"
Bongalong
Warthog

Postby Bongalong » 22 Apr 2019, 13:02

What's the point of an ev if it is only cost effective via tax fraud!

:roll
"Oi!"
Bongalong
Warthog

Postby Dax » 22 Apr 2019, 15:37

DonDeeHippy wrote:
Dax wrote:

too true the Bollinger looks like a old 50's land rover and the Workhorse have seemingly stopped work on their ute. ohh and you do know the Tesla is a skateboard too. :purple

well wish you luck and hope to see these fine vehicle's on the road soon in Australia. :bike

The bollinger is a heap of crap, very slow and a pathetic range of about 150klms. Been looking at an ev for a few years, the rivian is the only one I've seen that could do the job of cruising Aus safely. Anything with a range less than 500klms, is useless and it's not as though you can carry spare fuel. You could carry an extra small battery pack in the rivian which has an 800kg payload and 4500kh towing capacity. A fitted out camper trailer with an extra pack in it, would make for a pretty cool long distance ev. The next thing to look for is a solar charger for your ev, so when you stop you just plug in the panels and add some charge, that would work with a camper trailer with panels on it, plus some folding panels would do the job adequately and that's the direction I'll be going.
Dax
Cheetah

Postby Dax » 22 Apr 2019, 15:42

Bongalong wrote:
Dax wrote:

Um, sounds good: just one question--> how come the general public doesn't know about what is coming?

The general public are stupidly dumb, they are only interested in themselves and today, the future and reality doesn't compute for them.

Tax fraud, working within the rules is not tax fraud but common sense. If the people were to approach their tax using the rules, they would save a heap. But stupid is as stupid does and they don't even bother to read the rules and use them.
Dax
Cheetah

Postby DonDeeHippy » 22 Apr 2019, 15:50

Bongalong wrote:
DonDeeHippy wrote:

I hope so Pink, its just getting a foot in the door with Aussie politics seems to be the hardest part. :purple

5 years is nothing.... no momentum will occur in 5 years because the electricty grid needs 'refurbishment' --> BIG TIME :roll

Actually Bongy Australia discards about 9 gwh of energy everyday in "oversupply" that's because as night they make too much power because they cant turn coal power plants off, that would power about 1,000,000 cars a day at the average of 40km's which is the average distance travelled in Australia per day. as most EV owner charge their cars at night and never goto a gas station, that will take a long time before we need a better grid structure and now as everything else, the grid is changing dramatically with new tech so can be expanded easier. :purple
DonDeeHippy
Jaguar

Postby DonDeeHippy » 22 Apr 2019, 15:52

Bongalong wrote:
Dax wrote:

because the rivian wont be released in Australia at least for the next 2 years.....
there are quite a few articles in the mainstream car sites in Australia about it though, so those into cars would of heard about them :purple
DonDeeHippy
Jaguar

Postby DonDeeHippy » 22 Apr 2019, 16:05

Dax wrote:
DonDeeHippy wrote:
Dax wrote:

The bollinger is a heap of crap, very slow and a pathetic range of about 150klms. Been looking at an ev for a few years, the rivian is the only one I've seen that could do the job of cruising Aus safely. Anything with a range less than 500klms, is useless and it's not as though you can carry spare fuel. You could carry an extra small battery pack in the rivian which has an 800kg payload and 4500kh towing capacity. A fitted out camper trailer with an extra pack in it, would make for a pretty cool long distance ev. The next thing to look for is a solar charger for your ev, so when you stop you just plug in the panels and add some charge, that would work with a camper trailer with panels on it, plus some folding panels would do the job adequately and that's the direction I'll be going.

yes but need a lot of solar to power it, if 180kwh for 645 km's is the best it can do then 1 mwh is 4 km's

https://www.carsguide.com.au/adventure/ ... el-x-74243

as you can see both petrol and electric use a lot more power towing, so lets go with the cruiser instead of the Tesla and say 60% less economy towing a caravan.

so that's 1mwh for 2 km's. if you have a generous 3kw solar array set up and 6 good hours of sun that is 18 kwh a day so 36 km's of range. Or about 250 km's range a week , considering I don't like parking in the sun because it gets to hot in a van I would get considerably less, and even less if I wanted some air con ;) :purple
DonDeeHippy
Jaguar

Postby Bongalong » 23 Apr 2019, 11:23

DonDeeHippy wrote:
Bongalong wrote:
DonDeeHippy wrote:

Actually Bongy Australia discards about 9 gwh of energy everyday in "oversupply" that's because as night they make too much power because they cant turn coal power plants off, that would power about 1,000,000 cars a day at the average of 40km's which is the average distance travelled in Australia per day. as most EV owner charge their cars at night and never goto a gas station, that will take a long time before we need a better grid structure and now as everything else, the grid is changing dramatically with new tech so can be expanded easier. :purple

Interesting numbers. Yet that doesn't take into account one iota of the need for superchargers to boost the industry.

Face it: without superchargers the merchandise won't sell!

:beer
"Oi!"
Bongalong
Warthog

Postby Dax » 23 Apr 2019, 12:09

Bongalong wrote:
DonDeeHippy wrote:
Bongalong wrote:
DonDeeHippy wrote:

Interesting numbers. Yet that doesn't take into account one iota of the need for superchargers to boost the industry.

There is little need for super chargers, except in rural areas. Most people who purchase Evs to begin with, will be urban dwellers who travel between 5 and 50klms a day and they will charge their vehicles over night, or at work during the day.

Rural evs which with ranges over 500klms, will mostly do the same and most people do not drive more than 500klms in a day. For heavy transport, there are already buses that can go 1000klms, but realistically 600-800klms at this time and prime movers with ranges over 1000klms. Trucking companies will put in their own charge spots and as drivers are restricted to a certain number of hours driving before a certain number of hours resting, there will be very few if any problems with charging.

Those I know who have Ev's already, have no problems with recharging and plan their trips to fit in with their vehicle range. My osteo has driven her tesla to Rockhampton and back, to see one of her kids and said it was easy. The money she saved from petrol, was used for accommodation where they charged the car overnight from standard 240v supplies.
Dax
Cheetah

Postby Bongalong » 23 Apr 2019, 13:26

Dax wrote:
Bongalong wrote:
DonDeeHippy wrote:
Bongalong wrote:
DonDeeHippy wrote:

There is little need for super chargers, except in rural areas. Most people who purchase Evs to begin with, will be urban dwellers who travel between 5 and 50klms a day and they will charge their vehicles over night, or at work during the day.

Rural evs which with ranges over 500klms, will mostly do the same and most people do not drive more than 500klms in a day. For heavy transport, there are already buses that can go 1000klms, but realistically 600-800klms at this time and prime movers with ranges over 1000klms. Trucking companies will put in their own charge spots and as drivers are restricted to a certain number of hours driving before a certain number of hours resting, there will be very few if any problems with charging.

Those I know who have Ev's already, have no problems with recharging and plan their trips to fit in with their vehicle range. My osteo has driven her tesla to Rockhampton and back, to see one of her kids and said it was easy. The money she saved from petrol, was used for accommodation where they charged the car overnight from standard 240v supplies.

Possibly very correct in the ideal world, but the world is not ideal and perception is everything.

I mean, your first paragraph assumes most people will charge their cars overnight or at work.... I see that as being the number one false assumption. Should everyone just go straight home from work and put their car on charge?

At work: how many chargers will be available and do you have to book in on a first come, first served basis? If they are slow chargers then the office trolls will ruin it for everyone.

I would of course love to see trucking done with electric vehicles but never thought I would see the day! Because it's a business of course it could be more controlled toward an end point of functionality as opposed to the randomness of 'the population that goes to work via car'.

I see individuals can use it and plan their way to a non-inconvenient day but that is not the masses. That is the minority.
"Oi!"
Bongalong
Warthog

Postby DonDeeHippy » 23 Apr 2019, 14:07

Bongalong wrote:
Dax wrote:
Bongalong wrote:
DonDeeHippy wrote:

5 years is nothing.... no momentum will occur in 5 years because the electricty grid needs 'refurbishment' --> BIG TIME :rollActually Bongy Australia discards about 9 gwh of energy everyday in "oversupply" that's because as night they make too much power because they cant turn coal power plants off, that would power about 1,000,000 cars a day at the average of 40km's which is the average distance travelled in Australia per day. as most EV owner charge their cars at night and never goto a gas station, that will take a long time before we need a better grid structure and now as everything else, the grid is changing dramatically with new tech so can be expanded easier. :purpleInteresting numbers. Yet that doesn't take into account one iota of the need for superchargers to boost the industry.

Possibly very correct in the ideal world, but the world is not ideal and perception is everything.

I mean, your first paragraph assumes most people will charge their cars overnight or at work.... I see that as being the number one false assumption. Should everyone just go straight home from work and put their car on charge?

At work: how many chargers will be available and do you have to book in on a first come, first served basis? If they are slow chargers then the office trolls will ruin it for everyone.

I would of course love to see trucking done with electric vehicles but never thought I would see the day! Because it's a business of course it could be more controlled toward an end point of functionality as opposed to the randomness of 'the population that goes to work via car'.

I see individuals can use it and plan their way to a non-inconvenient day but that is not the masses. That is the minority.

So far 90% of EV owners charge their cars at home, the biggest benefit being they never have to go to a gas station, also if you have one of the new EV's with +400km range you don't need to recharge every night, just like you don't fill a car up every day.
yes work charging could be a problem or it might not I suppose that would depend on the employer... :purple
DonDeeHippy
Jaguar

Postby Bongalong » 23 Apr 2019, 16:06

DonDeeHippy wrote:
Bongalong wrote:
Dax wrote:
Bongalong wrote:
DonDeeHippy wrote:

5 years is nothing.... no momentum will occur in 5 years because the electricty grid needs 'refurbishment' --> BIG TIME :rollActually Bongy Australia discards about 9 gwh of energy everyday in "oversupply" that's because as night they make too much power because they cant turn coal power plants off, that would power about 1,000,000 cars a day at the average of 40km's which is the average distance travelled in Australia per day. as most EV owner charge their cars at night and never goto a gas station, that will take a long time before we need a better grid structure and now as everything else, the grid is changing dramatically with new tech so can be expanded easier. :purpleInteresting numbers. Yet that doesn't take into account one iota of the need for superchargers to boost the industry.

So far 90% of EV owners charge their cars at home, the biggest benefit being they never have to go to a gas station, also if you have one of the new EV's with +400km range you don't need to recharge every night, just like you don't fill a car up every day.
yes work charging could be a problem or it might not I suppose that would depend on the employer... :purple

Hey, fair enough: I'm just saying selling merchandise is selling merchandise.... you have to sell it baby!

Otherwise what is it?

:gsp :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl

- it's almost like you're all not listening to me :tweed :roll :roll :roll :roll :roll
"Oi!"
Bongalong
Warthog

Postby DonDeeHippy » 25 Apr 2019, 07:08

https://insideevs.com/news/346329/rivia ... 0-million/

R1T electric pickup truck becomes even more real.
Rivian just became reality with this major investment from the U.S.' sales leader in trucks.

Following the major investment made by Amazon, Ford has announced a $500 million investment into Rivian.
Rivian, the maker of the R1T pickup truck and R1S SUV, is solely focused on electric adventure vehicles. For now, that's limited to the truck and SUV, but in the future, several more models are planned.

Ford to build all-new battery electric vehicle using Rivian’s flexible skateboard platform
It's not all that surprising to find out that Ford is investing in Rivian. If you recall, Ford has been testing electric F-150s. In addition, Rivian was camouflaging its R1T pickup truck under F-150 bodies. So, it's come full circle now with the two companies announcing this investment deal.

Might be able to get your Rivian with the Ford badge for warrantee and servicing Dax :)
DonDeeHippy
Jaguar

Postby Dax » 26 Apr 2019, 06:11

DonDeeHippy wrote:https://insideevs.com/news/346329/rivian-ford-investment-500-million/

R1T electric pickup truck becomes even more real.
Rivian just became reality with this major investment from the U.S.' sales leader in trucks.

Following the major investment made by Amazon, Ford has announced a $500 million investment into Rivian.
Rivian, the maker of the R1T pickup truck and R1S SUV, is solely focused on electric adventure vehicles. For now, that's limited to the truck and SUV, but in the future, several more models are planned.

Ford to build all-new battery electric vehicle using Rivian’s flexible skateboard platform
It's not all that surprising to find out that Ford is investing in Rivian. If you recall, Ford has been testing electric F-150s. In addition, Rivian was camouflaging its R1T pickup truck under F-150 bodies. So, it's come full circle now with the two companies announcing this investment deal.

Might be able to get your Rivian with the Ford badge for warrantee and servicing Dax :)

That's probably why they told me they would be releasing them early next year with right hand drive and I could have one, they were already well into negotiations with ford. Having someone like ford take up your chassis design and investing, means they will be good vehicles and moire than likely have the backing of ford service centers.
Dax
Cheetah

Postby Sprintcyclist » 26 Apr 2019, 07:28

Am thinking our next car might well be an electric one.
Does toyota have one yet? their hybrids are pretty good, better than a diesel

My wife has an electric bike, it is very good.
When we retire, we can do pretty much all our shopping using the bicycles.
Sell one car. Use our bikes most days.
Sprintcyclist
Jaguar

Postby DonDeeHippy » 26 Apr 2019, 07:49

Sprintcyclist wrote:Am thinking our next car might well be an electric one.

This year Nissan and Hyundai are releasing EV's in Aus, the Leaf and the Kona, both still very expensive though. Luxury range Tesla, BMW and Jaguar have EV's here as well..

Toyota is the one major car manufacturer that is dragging its heels on EV's , yes the hybrids they make are good and they have even got a plug in hybrid now (with about 20km's pure electric range).

I'm about 6-7 km's out of town and me and my partner are looking to get electric bikes as well . the question is do I just buy a legal one or build my own with a bit more power :bike
DonDeeHippy
Jaguar

Postby Sprintcyclist » 26 Apr 2019, 09:07

DonDeeHippy wrote:

This year Nissan and Hyundai are releasing EV's in Aus, the Leaf and the Kona, both still very expensive though. Luxury range Tesla, BMW and Jaguar have EV's here as well..

Toyota is the one major car manufacturer that is dragging its heels on EV's , yes the hybrids they make are good and they have even got a plug in hybrid now (with about 20km's pure electric range).

I'm about 6-7 km's out of town and me and my partner are looking to get electric bikes as well . the question is do I just buy a legal one or build my own with a bit more power :bike

I bought my wife a 'Trek Verve'. She uses it to help her on the hard parts, uphills. It is a terrific bike.
I have ridden and bought bikes for 40+ years. Treks, Giants and Raleighs are good bikes. Cannondales are not good
Our bikes have baskets or sealable boxes on carriers. Having a carrying ability changes the functionality of a bike completely.

Some of our morning rides, we have a coffee at the coffee club, stop at woolies and/or the fish market on the way home.
Get home by 9;30 am. We have had an activity, our social time, done shopping for tonights dinner.
Sprintcyclist
Jaguar

Postby Sprintcyclist » 26 Apr 2019, 09:07

DonDeeHippy wrote:

I bought my wife a 'Trek Verve'. She uses it to help her on the hard parts, uphills. It is a terrific bike.
I have ridden and bought bikes for 40+ years. Treks, Giants and Raleighs are good bikes. Cannondales are not good
Our bikes have baskets or sealable boxes on carriers. Having a carrying ability changes the functionality of a bike completely.

Some of our morning rides, we have a coffee at the coffee club, stop at woolies and/or the fish market on the way home.
Get home by 9;30 am. We have had an activity, our social time, done shopping for tonights dinner.
Sprintcyclist
Jaguar

PreviousNext

Return to Global Warming and Australian Energy Market