Tesla is kicking everyone's fossil fooled arse goodbye!

For scientific papers on AGW, record happenings in the Arctic and the Greenland, Himalayan and Antarctic icesheets. Also weatherstorms and higher than average rainfalls and other extreme weather events.

Open to guest posting.

Moderator: johnsmith

Re: Tesla is kicking everyone's fossil fooled arse goodbye!

Postby HBS Guy » 31 Mar 2018, 02:49

He talked about hydrogen—and I saw and replied to a tweet from Shell about hydrogen as a clean fuel. Crap it is clean!
Abbott & Co are going to cause the mother and father of all recessions—be prepared!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby Dax » 31 Mar 2018, 09:21

There's a strong chance by 2022, electric cars will be the majority purchased. Over the next couple of years we will see many new electric cars, so many fossil fuel new cars will have to be heavily discounted, because the negative propaganda by the fossil fuel industry will be debunked.

It's illogical to claim electric vehicles are more polluting, as the facts are the opposite. Now we are seeing heavy vehicles becoming electric with ranges of over 1000klms before recharge, this alone will put a big dent in fossil fuel sales and it will not be very long before the big vehicle manufacturers start to produce their own electric trucks and machinery.
Dax
Feral cat

spamone: Animal

Postby HBS Guy » 31 Mar 2018, 11:27

Battery densities will keep on increasing.
Abbott & Co are going to cause the mother and father of all recessions—be prepared!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby Dax » 01 Apr 2018, 06:50

HBS Guy wrote:Battery densities will keep on increasing.

Sure will, already lifepo4 cells are light years ahead of lead acid in all ways and have revolutionalised off grid and mobile energy situations.
Dax
Feral cat

Postby HBS Guy » 01 Apr 2018, 07:57

I looked up Lifep04 cells after you mentioned them, sure look good!

Here in Tassie sun is good, long days but for winter need wind a generator. Then could be off grid pretty much. Energy efficiency is also looking up—LED lights are fantastic, a 12W LED light in my lounge gives brighter light—and less heat—than two 60W incandescent globes.

One house here has 42 solar panels!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby Dax » 01 Apr 2018, 10:00

I live in Sth Tas.,completely off grid. Had to have a gennie when on lead acid (AGM), which was very limiting and used 12v fridges, lights etc and a small inverter for the TV. After switching to lifepo4, no longer needed the gennie and in the last 10 years has been used for running my workshop. On agm, had 2000ah and 5kw of solar. Now have 700ah of lifepo4 and 4.2kw of solar, the rest of the solar powers most things in my workshop, except for welding and is powered by 120ah of lifepo4. Ny converted bus, has 1kw of solar and 480ah of lifepo4. It runs everything including A/C in summer, have a small wood heater I built for winter and even when snowing, keeps the bus at t shirt temps.

Now the house runs entirely on 240v, with inverter fridges and freezers, as well as A/C in summer and also powers our band practises. All the lighting is led and have a 55cm tv and 2 computers running. Have a combination of bright white and soft white, 10w and 15w LED which is adequate and have LED security lights outside. My lifepo4 pack never drops below 13v, even though it can go down to 12v but as you get twice as much energy from lifepo4 compared to lead acid from the same capacity. Lifepo4 charge extremely fast, so you only need a couple 'of hours of full sun, or 4-5 hours of cloudy weather to fully charge them.

I can use lots of power in the mornings and my pack will be full be mid afternoon. Have a 250w wind generator as well, which is really only a trickle one, but when there is no sun for days and windy, it's enough to keep the pack above 13v when it is running 24/7.

The trick with lifepo4 and all lithium, is how you use them and even more important, is the charge regimes and parameters you use.
Dax
Feral cat

Postby MilesAway » 01 Apr 2018, 20:23

Dax wrote:There's a strong chance by 2022, electric cars will be the majority purchased. Over the next couple of years we will see many new electric cars, so many fossil fuel new cars will have to be heavily discounted, because the negative propaganda by the fossil fuel industry will be debunked.

It's illogical to claim electric vehicles are more polluting, as the facts are the opposite. Now we are seeing heavy vehicles becoming electric with ranges of over 1000klms before recharge, this alone will put a big dent in fossil fuel sales and it will not be very long before the big vehicle manufacturers start to produce their own electric trucks and machinery.

Would you have a link or reference to the claim that electric vehicles now have a range of 1000kms?
MilesAway
Jaguar

Postby MilesAway » 01 Apr 2018, 20:27

HBS Guy wrote:I looked up Lifep04 cells after you mentioned them, sure look good!

Here in Tassie sun is good, long days but for winter need wind a generator. Then could be off grid pretty much. Energy efficiency is also looking up—LED lights are fantastic, a 12W LED light in my lounge gives brighter light—and less heat—than two 60W incandescent globes.

The lithium iron phosphate (LiFePO
4) battery, also called LFP battery (with "LFP" standing for "lithium ferrophosphate"), is a type of rechargeable battery, specifically a lithium-ion battery, which uses LiFePO
4 as a cathode material, and a graphitic carbon electrode with a metallic current collector grid as the anode. The specific capacity of LiFePO
4 is higher than that of the related lithium cobalt oxide (LiCoO
2) chemistry, but its energy density is slightly lower due to its low operating voltage. The main problem of LiFePO
4 is its low electrical conductivity. Therefore, all the LiFePO
4 cathodes under consideration are actually LiFePO
4/C.[3] Because of low-cost, low-toxicity, well-defined performance, long-term stability, etc. LiFePO
4 is finding a number of roles in vehicle use and backup power.

Source, wiki...

<<

Progress is what progress does!
MilesAway
Jaguar

Postby MilesAway » 01 Apr 2018, 20:30

HBS Guy wrote:I looked up Lifep04 cells after you mentioned them, sure look good!

You should have a conversation with that householder at some point!

He/She might be a fountain of knowledge on related subject because of the keen interest shown by their rooftop!

:beer

Might be able to help you reach full self sufficiency etc... etc...
MilesAway
Jaguar

Postby MilesAway » 01 Apr 2018, 20:32

Dax wrote:I live in Sth Tas.,completely off grid. Had to have a gennie when on lead acid (AGM), which was very limiting and used 12v fridges, lights etc and a small inverter for the TV. After switching to lifepo4, no longer needed the gennie and in the last 10 years has been used for running my workshop. On agm, had 2000ah and 5kw of solar. Now have 700ah of lifepo4 and 4.2kw of solar, the rest of the solar powers most things in my workshop, except for welding and is powered by 120ah of lifepo4. Ny converted bus, has 1kw of solar and 480ah of lifepo4. It runs everything including A/C in summer, have a small wood heater I built for winter and even when snowing, keeps the bus at t shirt temps.

Now the house runs entirely on 240v, with inverter fridges and freezers, as well as A/C in summer and also powers our band practises. All the lighting is led and have a 55cm tv and 2 computers running. Have a combination of bright white and soft white, 10w and 15w LED which is adequate and have LED security lights outside. My lifepo4 pack never drops below 13v, even though it can go down to 12v but as you get twice as much energy from lifepo4 compared to lead acid from the same capacity. Lifepo4 charge extremely fast, so you only need a couple 'of hours of full sun, or 4-5 hours of cloudy weather to fully charge them.

I can use lots of power in the mornings and my pack will be full be mid afternoon. Have a 250w wind generator as well, which is really only a trickle one, but when there is no sun for days and windy, it's enough to keep the pack above 13v when it is running 24/7.

The trick with lifepo4 and all lithium, is how you use them and even more important, is the charge regimes and parameters you use.

?
MilesAway
Jaguar

Postby Dax » 02 Apr 2018, 07:54

MilesAway wrote: Would you have a link or reference to the claim that electric vehicles now have a range of 1000kms?

How many links do you want, ignorance is bliss for deniers of reality. But in reality, that ignorance is a representation of evolutionary status.

http://reneweconomy.com.au/australian-a ... rge-39659/

https://mashable.com/2017/09/20/proterr ... ge-record/

https://electrek.co/2017/08/04/a-tesla- ... le-charge/
Dax
Feral cat

Postby johnsmith » 02 Apr 2018, 10:30

Dax wrote:
MilesAway wrote: Would you have a link or reference to the claim that electric vehicles now have a range of 1000kms?

How many links do you want, ignorance is bliss for deniers of reality. But in reality, that ignorance is a representation of evolutionary status.

http://reneweconomy.com.au/australian-a ... rge-39659/

https://mashable.com/2017/09/20/proterr ... ge-record/

https://electrek.co/2017/08/04/a-tesla- ... le-charge/

that second link is 1000 MILES .... that's 1600 km's .... impressive
FD.
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.
johnsmith
Warthog

Postby Dax » 02 Apr 2018, 12:49

Sure is impressive, especially when you do the numbers concerning fuel and maintenance saving.

I run all my vehicles and machinery on used vegetable oil, which produces 80% less emissions that fossil oils. Using diesel and biodiesel as a starter fuel and my large tanks (1000lt", can travel well over 3000klms without refueling, the cost would be around about $5 for biodiesel and $15-$20 for diesel, stopping every day. When we are on the road, we can collect more oil filter it and fill our tanks.

If i win lotto, will buy and electric bus and never have fuel costs again.
Dax
Feral cat

Postby johnsmith » 02 Apr 2018, 13:24

Dax wrote:Sure is impressive, especially when you do the numbers concerning fuel and maintenance saving.

I run all my vehicles and machinery on used vegetable oil, which produces 80% less emissions that fossil oils. Using diesel and biodiesel as a starter fuel and my large tanks (1000lt", can travel well over 3000klms without refueling, the cost would be around about $5 for biodiesel and $15-$20 for diesel, stopping every day. When we are on the road, we can collect more oil filter it and fill our tanks.

i imagine the bus roof made of solar panels would provide a nice charge as you're travelling through the outback
FD.
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.
johnsmith
Warthog

Postby DonDeeHippy » 28 Apr 2018, 07:52

wow this is the best article on Tesla ive come across he actually says Tesla is a cult and must be trained by big ol booby and lee
https://autoexpert.com.au/posts/the-truth-about-the-tesla-semi-battery-powered-electric-truck
I was looking for the the battery size on the tesla semi and found this gem
DonDeeHippy
Feral cat

Postby DonDeeHippy » 28 Apr 2018, 08:07

johnsmith wrote:
Dax wrote:Sure is impressive, especially when you do the numbers concerning fuel and maintenance saving.

i imagine the bus roof made of solar panels would provide a nice charge as you're travelling through the outback

Just off the top of my head id say u could get about 3 kva on top of a bus probably 20 kwh a day in good weather and it seams busses us around 1.2 kwh a km so would be 10-16kms a day for free.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BYD_K9
Still better than walking.
DonDeeHippy
Feral cat

Postby Dax » 28 Apr 2018, 13:46

DonDeeHippy wrote:wow this is the best article on Tesla ive come across he actually says Tesla is a cult and must be trained by big ol booby and lee
https://autoexpert.com.au/posts/the-truth-about-the-tesla-semi-battery-powered-electric-truck

If you know anything about lithium systems, you'd quickly understand that bloke is completely full of shit and doesn't have a clue. Hew has probably never seen a lithium energy storage system in operation. All he is doing is trying to protect the fossil fuel industry and his job, you will note all the way through the video he is saying buy a new fossil fuel car from them and save a fortune.

His claim of the telsa problems, pales into insignificance when you look at the lies cheating and never ending failures of the fossil fuel vehicle industry. Tesla is starting from scratch, so it is logical there will be teething problems. At least he us having a go and so are most other vehicle makers, so the idiot in the video seems to forget everyone else is into electric cars now.

As for the the semi, more bullshit, already in Aus they are making electric buses which have a range of over 100klms and don't need tonnes of lithium to do it and expect it will be the same with trucks, already there are many electric urban trucks around and it's logical.

When yo add his claim about the musk rockets being just a con, then look at the facts, its easy to see he ins nothing but a denialist wanker. Musk is the first one on history to recover the first stages of the rockets by landing them back on earth, sure he has had a couple of failures, but now that is rare and they have even been able to return the second stage to earth and land it on a barge at sea. Watching that form of autonomy, only fools would claim, Musk is not innovative. The facts are the opposite and not much different to the claim the moon landings were all faked.

My bus is 12m long and has 1500w of solar on the roof, it could take 4kw easily, but have no need for it as it proved me with all the energy I need for up to a week and that's just on 480ah of lifepo4. So it's not in conceivable to think in the future we will see big pantecs and buses with solar covering their roofs and sides, along with regenerative braking, distances will get longer and longer as will the technology.

I'll have an electric car by the end of this year, after checking out the Beijing motor show and the over 100 electric cars available, just a matter of months before one will stand out for my purposes and may look at a bus down the track to replace my veggie oil guzzling Isuzu one. With the bus, cost will be the big factor.
Dax
Feral cat

Postby HBS Guy » 28 Apr 2018, 14:35

There has been a steady stream of Tesla knockers—there are even some on OzPol—but Tesla is ramping up production and that cannot be denied:

https://robertscribbler.com/2018/04/26/teslas-ev-lead-expands-as-production-hits-13000-to-17000-in-april/

Close to 4000 a week, 200,000 a year. Would have been more but work was stopped to revamp and improve the production line.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby DonDeeHippy » 29 Apr 2018, 08:47

Dax wrote:
DonDeeHippy wrote:wow this is the best article on Tesla ive come across he actually says Tesla is a cult and must be trained by big ol booby and lee

If you know anything about lithium systems, you'd quickly understand that bloke is completely full of shit and doesn't have a clue. Hew has probably never seen a lithium energy storage system in operation. All he is doing is trying to protect the fossil fuel industry and his job, you will note all the way through the video he is saying buy a new fossil fuel car from them and save a fortune.

His claim of the telsa problems, pales into insignificance when you look at the lies cheating and never ending failures of the fossil fuel vehicle industry. Tesla is starting from scratch, so it is logical there will be teething problems. At least he us having a go and so are most other vehicle makers, so the idiot in the video seems to forget everyone else is into electric cars now.

As for the the semi, more bullshit, already in Aus they are making electric buses which have a range of over 100klms and don't need tonnes of lithium to do it and expect it will be the same with trucks, already there are many electric urban trucks around and it's logical.

When yo add his claim about the musk rockets being just a con, then look at the facts, its easy to see he ins nothing but a denialist wanker. Musk is the first one on history to recover the first stages of the rockets by landing them back on earth, sure he has had a couple of failures, but now that is rare and they have even been able to return the second stage to earth and land it on a barge at sea. Watching that form of autonomy, only fools would claim, Musk is not innovative. The facts are the opposite and not much different to the claim the moon landings were all faked.

My bus is 12m long and has 1500w of solar on the roof, it could take 4kw easily, but have no need for it as it proved me with all the energy I need for up to a week and that's just on 480ah of lifepo4. So it's not in conceivable to think in the future we will see big pantecs and buses with solar covering their roofs and sides, along with regenerative braking, distances will get longer and longer as will the technology.

I'll have an electric car by the end of this year, after checking out the Beijing motor show and the over 100 electric cars available, just a matter of months before one will stand out for my purposes and may look at a bus down the track to replace my veggie oil guzzling Isuzu one. With the bus, cost will be the big factor.

I didn't even try to look at his claims, way to stupid.
After reading it i thought ozpol better not find it as they would have a new god... the guy who wrote this crap hehe

Thing if I've noticed with Elon is that when his products r released they r usually better than what he has promised, his production sceduals r really bad though.

Yeah i think the only way to get a cheep ev would be to get one from china, there r already lots of good chinese cars being sold cheep its just working out the costs of getting them here, then registered and (the very few) spare parts needed.

When tesla release the semi, others can pull it apart and work out how they did it, then prices for big vehicals will start to go down just like after teslas first car , working out a shit load of laptop batteries is better than a big one.

If u could handle going down to a ford trader size mini bus there seams to be alot of electric activity happening there.
China in the last few years have made 200000 electric buses for domestic routes they will need replacing soon, maybe one of them in a backload of our coal.
DonDeeHippy
Feral cat

Postby HBS Guy » 29 Apr 2018, 10:39

Talking of electric buses I wish trolley buses could make a comeback.

A trolley bus is just like a normal bus but has an electric motor and gets its power from overhead lines via a long slender pole, similar to how a tram or electric train does. I travelled a bit on trolley buses in the ’60s along Port Rd. Smoothest ride ever, no noise and even if the electricity is coal fired there is no pollution in the city and of course with renewable etenergy—no pollution at all. There are versions with batteries that can operate a while without overhead power and some that carry a generator for longer operation without overhead power. They are excellent for use in hilly areas.

Unlike a tram or train—just roll out the overhead line, no need for laying track!

I REALLY fucking hate diesel buses! Rattletraps! And all the particulate emissions in the inner city are not healthy!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby johnsmith » 29 Apr 2018, 10:59

HBS Guy wrote:Smoothest ride ever, no noise and even if the electricity is coal fired there is no pollution in the city and of course with renewable etenergy—no pollution at all

I rode them in Bucharest, They were noisy, bumpy and they stank (although that may have had something to do with the gypsies) .
FD.
johnsmith
Warthog

Postby HBS Guy » 29 Apr 2018, 11:27

Wow, must have been badly maintained.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby johnsmith » 29 Apr 2018, 11:36

HBS Guy wrote:Wow, must have been badly maintained.

probably remnants from the soviet era
FD.
johnsmith
Warthog

Postby DonDeeHippy » 29 Apr 2018, 11:47

HBS Guy wrote:Talking of electric buses I wish trolley buses could make a comeback.

A trolley bus is just like a normal bus but has an electric motor and gets its power from overhead lines via a long slender pole, similar to how a tram or electric train does. I travelled a bit on trolley buses in the ’60s along Port Rd. Smoothest ride ever, no noise and even if the electricity is coal fired there is no pollution in the city and of course with renewable etenergy—no pollution at all. There are versions with batteries that can operate a while without overhead power and some that carry a generator for longer operation without overhead power. They are excellent for use in hilly areas.

Unlike a tram or train—just roll out the overhead line, no need for laying track!

I REALLY fucking hate diesel buses! Rattletraps! And all the particulate emissions in the inner city are not healthy!

they r doing some semi' s like that around the world, I can think of a few where the semi's move containers and reuse the same 5km loop all the time. Germany is doing the same on big HI ways with Daimler.
Also is a bus one being trailed with the overhead lines and a small battery to just do little drops on side streets from the main but id have to look it up to find the articles.
It should be easy in Brissy now with the separated bus lanes going into town.
DonDeeHippy
Feral cat

Next

Return to Global Warming and Australian Energy Market