South Africa running out of water

For scientific papers on AGW, record happenings in the Arctic and the Greenland, Himalayan and Antarctic icesheets. Also weatherstorms and higher than average rainfalls and other extreme weather events.

Open to guest posting.

Moderator: johnsmith

South Africa running out of water

Postby Miranda » 30 Jan 2018, 18:04

www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-42836560? ... ting-story

Residents in the South African city of Cape Town have been warned to "save water as if your life depends on it" to avoid the supply being shut off.
Miranda
Jack Russell

spamone: Animal

Re: South Africa running out of water

Postby HBS Guy » 30 Jan 2018, 18:21

Yeah. Fucking drastic or what?

Maybe the town has to move?

Climatic zones are moving polewards as the globe warms.

Adelaide, Melbourne etc might need to move at some time.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby pinkeye » 02 Feb 2018, 04:54

Well this is surely a serious issue and it seems we are all facing the same, in the long run. Seems nobody gives a stuff till it happens to them.
California is in dire straits rre water... profligate overuse has diminished the aquafers so much that it becomes less and less viable for the land to support the population..
And this type of thing is happening now, or will soon, all around the world.

Ladies and Gentlemen.. we are all fucked.
sleeping is good for you
pinkeye
Jaguar

Postby johnsmith » 02 Feb 2018, 10:31

i recalll visiting my grandmother in a village in italy in about 1999/2000 (i was there NYE) and it was customary for the town council to turn off the water supply from 11pm to 6 am over the summer months.
Apprantly they did this every year

although i was told that the reason was to stop farmers leaving the hoses on all night o water their crops (village was on a mountain so if you laid your beds right you could water all your crops from one point, just leave the water on long enough for it to run down all the way.)
FD.
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.
johnsmith
Mastodon

Postby pinkeye » 02 Feb 2018, 22:10

johnsmith wrote:i recalll visiting my grandmother in a village in italy in about 1999/2000 (i was there NYE) and it was customary for the town council to turn off the water supply from 11pm to 6 am over the summer months.

although i was told that the reason was to stop farmers leaving the hoses on all night o water their crops (village was on a mountain so if you laid your beds right you could water all your crops from one point, just leave the water on long enough for it to run down all the way.)

.well that was THEN

OLD Time commonsense is sadly lacking NOW. All those in power care about is PROFIT.

We will all suffer as a result, but the rich will suffer last. And, in that case, hopefully, they'll suffer a long time.
sleeping is good for you
pinkeye
Jaguar

Postby johnsmith » 03 Feb 2018, 00:44

pinkeye wrote:
johnsmith wrote:i recalll visiting my grandmother in a village in italy in about 1999/2000 (i was there NYE) and it was customary for the town council to turn off the water supply from 11pm to 6 am over the summer months.

.well that was THEN

OLD Time commonsense is sadly lacking NOW. All those in power care about is PROFIT.

We will all suffer as a result, but the rich will suffer last. And, in that case, hopefully, they'll suffer a long time.

it had nothing to do with commonsense ... the village only had a small dam servicing it and if they didn't turn of the towns water supply at night, the dam would be empty by halfway through the summer. If the dam emptied the local councillors would have been hung and quartered and thrown out of their rate payer funded lifestyles

it was motivated purely by self preservation
FD.
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.
johnsmith
Mastodon

Return to Global Warming and Australian Energy Market