Arctic global warming so rapid that computer measuring it re

For scientific papers on AGW, record happenings in the Arctic and the Greenland, Himalayan and Antarctic icesheets. Also weatherstorms and higher than average rainfalls and other extreme weather events.

Arctic global warming so rapid that computer measuring it re

Postby Squire » 15 Dec 2017, 23:40

This is an astonishing story in that the temperature was so far out of range the software controlling the recording of management decided it was faulty and not to be recorded.

It has been reported for some time that arctic air temperature is rising twice as fast as the average global temperature.

http://www.independent.co.uk/environment/arctic-global-warming-rapid-computer-rejected-alaska-a8110941.html

Arctic global warming so rapid that computer measuring it rejected the results
Algorithm meant to be triggered if there is a fault in Alaskan recording equipment stops temperature recording because measurements were too high

The Independent Online

The effects of climate change are particularly pronounced in Arctic regions like Alaska US Fish and Wildlife Service/Getty Images
Climate change in the Arctic has “outrun” a computer designed to measure it.

So rapid was the temperature change at a weather station in Alaska, the computer analysing the data detected an error and stopped recording the correct temperature.

In a blog post, US National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) climate scientist Dr Deke Arndt explained the recent incident, referring to it as “an ironic exclamation point to swift regional climate change in and near the Arctic”.

The weather station is located in Utqiaġvik, the most northerly town in the US.

Low levels of sea ice in the region caused the air temperatures to rise quickly.

The computers NOAA use to automatically record climate data have in-built algorithms that ensure the information they record is accurate.

This algorithm is meant to be triggered if the instruments measuring temperatures are damaged, or if there is an artificial change in the environment surrounding them.

In this case, the temperature change was such a shock to the system that the computer “disqualified itself” from the Alaskan temperature analysis.

This left northern Alaska “analysed a little cooler than it really was”, wrote Dr Arndt.

The data from the station was missing for all of 2017, and the last few months of 2016.

“In this case, instead of a station move, or urban sprawl, or an equipment change, it was actually very real climate change that changed the environment, by erasing a lot of the sea ice that used to hang out nearby,” wrote Dr Arndt.

The Arctic is warming at twice the rate of the global average, meaning the effects of climate change are felt particularly keenly in polar regions.

This was laid out in NOAA’s recent Arctic Report Card, which among other things documented the lowest ever measurements for maximum winter sea ice area that were recorded ...

http://www.arctic.noaa.gov/Report-Card/Report-Card-2016/ArtMID/5022/ArticleID/271/Surface-Air-Temperature

Mean Annual Land Surface Temperature
The mean annual surface air temperature anomaly (+2.0° C relative to the 1981-2010 mean value) for October 2015-September 2016 for land stations north of 60° N is the highest value in the record starting in 1900 (Fig. 1.1). This is an increase of 3.5° C since the beginning of the 20th Century, and the largest annual increase since 1995. Currently, the Arctic is warming at more than twice the rate of lower latitudes (Fig. 1.1)
Squire
Pitbull terrier

spamone: Animal

Re: Arctic global warming so rapid that computer measuring i

Postby MilesAway » 15 Dec 2017, 23:56

Do you know where the name “algorithm” came from?

Yeh, the dessssssserts! ... and they are pissed !!
MilesAway
mountain lion

Postby Squire » 16 Dec 2017, 00:22

Arctic report card:

http://www.arctic.noaa.gov/Report-Card/Report-Card-2017

2017 Headlines

Arctic shows no sign of returning to reliably frozen region of recent past decades

Despite relatively cool summer temperatures, observations in 2017 continue to indicate that the Arctic environmental system has reached a 'new normal', characterized by long-term losses in the extent and thickness of the sea ice cover, the extent and duration of the winter snow cover and the mass of ice in the Greenland Ice Sheet and Arctic glaciers, and warming sea surface and permafrost temperatures.

Highlights
The average surface air temperature for the year ending September 2017 is the 2nd warmest since 1900; however, cooler spring and summer temperatures contributed to a rebound in snow cover in the Eurasian Arctic, slower summer sea ice loss, and below-average melt extent for the Greenland ice sheet.
The sea ice cover continues to be relatively young and thin with older, thicker ice comprising only 21% of the ice cover in 2017 compared to 45% in 1985.
In August 2017, sea surface temperatures in the Barents and Chukchi seas were up to 4° C warmer than average, contributing to a delay in the autumn freeze-up in these regions.
Pronounced increases in ocean primary productivity, at the base of the marine food web, were observed in the Barents and Eurasian Arctic seas from 2003 to 2017.
Arctic tundra is experiencing increased greenness and record permafrost warming.
Pervasive changes in the environment are influencing resource management protocols, including those established for fisheries and wildfires.
The unprecedented rate and global reach of Arctic change disproportionally affect the people of northern communities, further pressing the need to prepare for and adapt to the new Arctic.
Squire
Pitbull terrier

Postby MilesAway » 16 Dec 2017, 00:40

I actually write a reply and it didn’t post so lfuck the Internet!
MilesAway
mountain lion

Postby HBS Guy » 16 Dec 2017, 00:48

Yup, very little ice in the Chukchi Sea.

As the ice melts sunlight hits dark ocean and is absorbed, warming the Arctic Ocean. This albedo effect is what makes Polar temperatures increase faster than other parts of the globe.

The melting of the permafrost causes problems with buildings: one side might sink further than the other side, especially with bigger buildings like blocks of apartments but normal houses suffer cracking as they subside. The most northerly town will have to be evacuated before too long.
Abbott & Co are going to cause the mother and father of all recessions—be prepared!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 16 Dec 2017, 01:42

A month of somewhat slowing extent increases has been reflected in the PIOMAS sea ice volume model output. Total volume growth during November 2017 was third lowest for the past decade. 2017 dips below 2011, thus regaining third position again. The difference with number two, 2012, is reduced from 1210 to 733 km3, whereas the gap with crazy winter year 2016 grew some more, from 1142 to 1482 km3.

http://neven1.typepad.com/blog/2017/12/piomas-december-2017.html

And snake oil seller Dubyne craps on about thick ice forming in the Arctic and gullible fools like Booby accept that and believe in an ice age. Fucking idiot!
Abbott & Co are going to cause the mother and father of all recessions—be prepared!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 16 Dec 2017, 01:53

Found this comment to the above article:

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2017/12/171205092142.htm

This talks about sea ice driven precipitation loss: it doesn’t say it can definitely link this to the recent droughts in California but it does mention that it leaves it as a possibility.

Posted by: AnotherJourneybyTrain | December 08, 2017 at 02:32

I think DRAH knows a shitload more about climate than Booby does!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 16 Dec 2017, 02:08

HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 16 Dec 2017, 09:28

Also:

http://nsidc.org/arcticseaicenews/

6 December 2017.

Arctic sea ice extent for November 2017 averaged 9.46 million square kilometers (3.65 million square miles), the third lowest in the 1979 to 2017 satellite record.[My emphasis] This was 1.24 million square kilometers (479,000 square miles) below the 1981 to 2010 average and 830,000 square kilometers (321,000 square miles) above the record low November extent recorded in 2016. Extent at the end of the month was below average over the Atlantic side of the Arctic, primarily in the Barents and Kara Seas, slightly above average in western Hudson Bay, but far below average in the Chukchi Sea. This continues a pattern of below-average extent in this region that has persisted for the last year.

Third lowest in 38 years! And Booby thinks we are in an ice age :rofl

Looking at the charts it seems multiyear ice has dropped quite a bit and it exists only in sheltered places off the north coast of Canada and Alaska.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby MilesAway » 17 Dec 2017, 15:37

HBS Guy wrote:Found this comment to the above article:

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2017/12/171205092142.htm

This talks about sea ice driven precipitation loss: it doesn’t say it can definitely link this to the recent droughts in California but it does mention that it leaves it as a possibility.

Posted by: AnotherJourneybyTrain | December 08, 2017 at 02:32

I think DRAH knows a shitload more about climate than Booby does!

Nah, bobby knows the truth!

:beer

Like all the capital l Iibbo voting cunts!!

What’s he going on do: play the ignorance card?

:bike :bike :bike :bike :zzzz
MilesAway
mountain lion

Postby HBS Guy » 18 Dec 2017, 08:33

Says it all and puts the lie to Dubyne.

Arctic melting is unprecedented in 1500 years! It is shrinking in both thickness and extent.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby MilesAway » 18 Dec 2017, 13:10

HBS Guy wrote:Image

Says it all and puts the lie to Dubyne.

Arctic melting is unprecedented in 1500 years! It is shrinking in both thickness and extent.

Basically pins the donkey on the rise of China!

India better not start using too much coal!

:grn
MilesAway
mountain lion

Return to Global Warming and Australian Energy Market