No more peaches in peach state Georgia?

For scientific papers on AGW, record happenings in the Arctic and the Greenland, Himalayan and Antarctic icesheets. Also weatherstorms and higher than average rainfalls and other extreme weather events.

No more peaches in peach state Georgia?

Postby HBS Guy » 29 Oct 2017, 04:31

Winter 2017 in the US was warm, not cold. This means fruits like peaches and apples that need chill to set fruit and new leaves suffer.

Peaches—along with many other fruits and nuts, from apples to walnuts—need cold like you need sleep, not just any sleep but dream-state sleep, the deeper and more sustained the better. This year, they did not get it.

The Dickeys have been peach farmers since 1897, when Mr. Bob's grandfather first planted trees in the dirt of middle Georgia, where the soil and elevation and water serve the crop well. Along with a handful of nearby peach growing operations, the Dickeys now dominate the Georgia peach market, the country's third largest after California and South Carolina. They cultivate a thousand acres of peaches, and nothing but peaches.

Mr. Bob Dickey, the patriarch of the peach-growing family, is willing to talk about weather but not climate change. Credit: Meera Subramanian
Mr. Bob Dickey, the patriarch of the peach-growing family, is willing to talk about weather but not climate change. Credit: Meera Subramanian
"This is one of the few years that I can remember that we didn't have enough cold weather," Mr. Bob tells me as we sit knee-to-knee so he can hear me. "Most of us peach growers, we worry more about spring frost ... but this year the crop was decimated on account of lack of cold weather."

I've come to middle Georgia curious if peach growers were experiencing a changing climate that threatened the state fruit—not to mention their generational legacy—but Mr. Bob insisted this year's crop failure had nothing to do with that thing the politicians call climate change.

Weather, Mr. Bob tells me, "it comes and goes, and you have cycles. I think we're in a warming cycle this year." He looks at me with pale blue eyes and smiles. "It might be cold as mischief next year!" he says, laughing. Soon he is out the door, on the way to a friend's funeral.

The Chill Is Gone

Each year, on the first of October, the Dickeys and other peach growers start counting every hour that dips below 45 degrees Fahrenheit, a "chill hour." Most peaches grown in Georgia need at least 650 of these chill hours, which usually isn't a problem in a region with an historic average of 1,100 chill hours per winter.

But last winter the chill-hour count was only about 450 by the middle of January. Then it just stalled. By Valentine's Day, when the farmers are usually long done counting, the figure hadn't reached 500.

Like all peach farmers, the Dickeys tread a fine line, attempting to grow the peaches that ripen earliest, so they can lead the national market, while not getting caught by late freezes. In early 2017, Georgia's struggle with its lack of chill hours meant a sluggish bloom. The canopy of pink was diminished, the iridescent green of new leaves hampered, even as the days got longer and spring progressed. The trees had not slept, so they did not know to awaken.

This meant that when a March freeze hit, there was almost no damage in Georgia; the trees had barely bloomed. In South Carolina, though, the same freeze was devastating. The South Carolina winter had been just cold enough to adequately stimulate buds, but so warm that they erupted early. With the March freeze, South Carolina farmers lost nearly everything.

https://insideclimatenews.org/news/31082017/climate-change-georgia-peach-harvest-warm-weather-crop-risk-farmers

And, yes, Liar Dubyne said the loss of the Georgia peach crop was due to the non–existent ice age. It failed because of WARMTH when chill was needed!
Abbott & Co are going to cause the mother and father of all recessions—be prepared!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Re: No more peaches in peach state Georgia?

Postby HBS Guy » 29 Oct 2017, 10:46

BTW the Cider group emails that I get the English/US/Canadian growers, backyard and commercial, talk of apples ripening early, ferments starting more quickly. Warm summer and fall weather.

Next year the Georgia peach crop will likely fail again: ENSO is moving to form another La Nina which means another warm winter and so no chill to get the peach trees to set fruit and new leaves.
Abbott & Co are going to cause the mother and father of all recessions—be prepared!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Re: No more peaches in peach state Georgia?

Postby HBS Guy » 29 Oct 2017, 11:26

Meanwhile, brain damaged cretins watch and believe the outright nonsense Dubyne puts in his stupid videos.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Return to Global Warming and Australian Energy Market