Renewable energy developments

For scientific papers on AGW, record happenings in the Arctic and the Greenland, Himalayan and Antarctic icesheets. Also weatherstorms and higher than average rainfalls and other extreme weather events.

Open to guest posting.

Moderator: johnsmith

Re: Renewable energy developments

Postby pinkeye » 17 Apr 2018, 02:15

Dax wrote:I'm not a pessimist, but a realist, don't hold out any of the blind empty hope that everyone seems to be clinging to.

You're right about buildings, they are built today purely on cheap economic grounds, not safety or longevity. One side of my family is Tasmanian, have had a property down here for decades, but had the business based in the ACT for a long time. But lived in the snowies until 1997, then moved to Tas permanently.

After the massive fire storm in the Sth east which devastated Dunnely, where I have lots of friends. suggested to those rebuilding to build earth covered homes like mine, but they all rebuilt with modern flammable materials and the next fire storm, which will be in the next couple of years, will wipe them out again.

I'm a builder by trade, that's where got my money to build up my company into what it is today. Have built many earth covered self sufficient homes last century, you'd think that side of building would grow as people realised what is happening with global warming. But it has dwindled to almost nothing, as people take the short term option of cheap, junk, flimsy, highly flammable materials and that's the case with all building today.

To me, this is a sign of how far from reality everyone lives and how they are more interested in their short term economic standards, than long term survival standards. That's why i say no hope for big cities in the future and with concentration on single point distribution and long grid lines. As climate changes and weather ramps up, their gird systems will collapse over and over.

If you've lived in Tas for any length of time, you;d realise how vulnerable the grid is, there is constant power failures round the state. That's because of the strong winds we always get here, so when these start hitting Aus and grids collapse, cities will start suffering badly.

I agree with you Dax. What you say makes sense. So I'd suggset Monk talks to you about the ins and outs .
If I were seriously in the market for same, I'd talk to you about it.

But, no, I think I'm going to have to manage with my wee house, as I am.

You are obviously a survivalist, so you also obviously, have a family and crew to look out for. More power to you.
sleeping is good for you
pinkeye
Jaguar

spamone: Animal

Postby HBS Guy » 17 Apr 2018, 07:07

I have read a bit about earth covered homes, thermally very efficient. Some greenhouses use earth cover too. Based on the fact that about 1metre down the soil is at a constant temperature and soil is a good insulator. My inclination tho is to straw bale.

Due to crap drainage my house has to be lifted up off the ground a bit.
Abbott & Co are going to cause the mother and father of all recessions—be prepared!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby Dax » 17 Apr 2018, 07:58

pinkeye wrote:
Dax wrote:I'm not a pessimist, but a realist, don't hold out any of the blind empty hope that everyone seems to be clinging to.

You're right about buildings, they are built today purely on cheap economic grounds, not safety or longevity. One side of my family is Tasmanian, have had a property down here for decades, but had the business based in the ACT for a long time. But lived in the snowies until 1997, then moved to Tas permanently.

After the massive fire storm in the Sth east which devastated Dunnely, where I have lots of friends. suggested to those rebuilding to build earth covered homes like mine, but they all rebuilt with modern flammable materials and the next fire storm, which will be in the next couple of years, will wipe them out again.

I'm a builder by trade, that's where got my money to build up my company into what it is today. Have built many earth covered self sufficient homes last century, you'd think that side of building would grow as people realised what is happening with global warming. But it has dwindled to almost nothing, as people take the short term option of cheap, junk, flimsy, highly flammable materials and that's the case with all building today.

To me, this is a sign of how far from reality everyone lives and how they are more interested in their short term economic standards, than long term survival standards. That's why i say no hope for big cities in the future and with concentration on single point distribution and long grid lines. As climate changes and weather ramps up, their gird systems will collapse over and over.

If you've lived in Tas for any length of time, you;d realise how vulnerable the grid is, there is constant power failures round the state. That's because of the strong winds we always get here, so when these start hitting Aus and grids collapse, cities will start suffering badly.

I agree with you Dax. What you say makes sense. So I'd suggset Monk talks to you about the ins and outs .
If I were seriously in the market for same, I'd talk to you about it.

But, no, I think I'm going to have to manage with my wee house, as I am.

You are obviously a survivalist, so you also obviously, have a family and crew to look out for. More power to you.

Could be a survivalist, mainly like to be comfortable and safe. My family all look after themselves and have their own safe homes, well away from cities and me. Whose Monk?
Dax
Pitbull terrier

Postby Dax » 17 Apr 2018, 08:06

HBS Guy wrote:I have read a bit about earth covered homes, thermally very efficient. Some greenhouses use earth cover too. Based on the fact that about 1metre down the soil is at a constant temperature and soil is a good insulator. My inclination tho is to straw bale.

Due to crap drainage my house has to be lifted up off the ground a bit.

To get the best thermal conditions, you need 1.5m of soil over and around you. The temp under those conditions, sits between 21-25deg and is wonderful to live in.

In my opinion, straw bales are a short term solution, everyone forgets straw breaks down into powder over time and have seen the results of that in straw bale homes over 10 years old. If you get any water ingestion into straw bale walls, you can end up with a really bad situation.

The second best approach, is rammed earth walled homes, they will last for centuries and provide good insulation. My walls are rammed earth and rock. You can build a big earth covered home with rammed earth/rock walls for about 1/3 the cost of a modern matchbox home and it will survive just about anything, except a big earthquake.

Here's an example of Tas grid reliability yesterday, when we had winds close to 100kph.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-04-16/s ... tenews_tas
Dax
Pitbull terrier

Postby johnsmith » 17 Apr 2018, 08:39

Dax wrote:Whose Monk?

Monk = HBS Guy = Jovial Monk = owner of this forum
FD.
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.
johnsmith
Rhinocerus

Postby Jovial Monk » 17 Apr 2018, 12:03

This is me (HBS Guy) in the Founder/Admin account.

I should have called that one HBS Guy.

Anyway, just call me Monk.

“Jovial Monk” was the name of my home brew shop, inspired by the Belgian trappist monks who brew godly beer!
Jovial Monk
Administrator

Postby HBS Guy » 17 Apr 2018, 12:09

Strawbale houses have survived for a very long time, 100 years. Yes, straw may get damp, hence the use of lime plaster inside, lets that moisture evaporate.
Abbott & Co are going to cause the mother and father of all recessions—be prepared!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 17 Apr 2018, 12:11

I will need stumps/piers down into the bedrock to lift the house above ground level, that might complicate matters. Since we have to do that I reckon raise the house half a metre, means I can have my cellar! Doable with steel joists.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby pinkeye » 18 Apr 2018, 01:36

HBS Guy wrote:I will need stumps/piers down into the bedrock to lift the house above ground level, that might complicate matters. Since we have to do that I reckon raise the house half a metre, means I can have my cellar! Doable with steel joists.

Like many other fields of endeavour, home building has many options. The real decider is the $. If you have heaps.. no worries.
If you don't, you have to be very smart.
Your site should be the main source of inspiration for your choice of building technique. If you must elevate your home, due to drainage issues, your choices are crucial.
Sorry but Strawbale just doesn't sound appropriate for the site, from what you have said.
sleeping is good for you
pinkeye
Jaguar

Postby HBS Guy » 18 Apr 2018, 08:59

It may not be, now that I have had some local knowledge imparted.

But if I have to lift the house a bit lifting it more is not going to increase costs that much, and I can have a cellar even if not a “true” cellar. Have to make sure it stays dry in winter but that is OK
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby pinkeye » 19 Apr 2018, 00:20

I don't know about the geo in your area... so if you want to go eco, using wood is an excellent idea. Umm Pole-frame..? ..

In any rural area, if you have native forest around, being so far south and subject to dry spells, and remembering recent history, fire is a major consideration.

I'd love an earth-covered home. That'd be my choice,... nay indeed It was my preference, but when faced with reality... $$$ site.. advice.. mainly $ and lack of knowledge left me with a wee cottage, sturdy wooden and comfortable.
NOT the home of my dreams.. but the home I have. :thumb

You want a home that hunkers into the landscape, with deep connections to the earth..... from what I have gleaned from some of your posts.

Hey I don't read them all. But drainage is a necessary consideration, if you are located in , say a flood plain, or strong river catchment area.

So you may need to remain above ground level. To do otherwise could/would be prohibitive in cost terms. Hmm very interesting.
sleeping is good for you
pinkeye
Jaguar

Postby HBS Guy » 28 Apr 2018, 07:39

Tesla is continuing to boost production of its battery electric cars—from the Robert Scribbler blog.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 29 Apr 2018, 03:49

Gigantic solar array in Mexico, covers over 2400 hectares of desert landscape. The panels follow the sun, increasing efficiency:

A key element of the installation is the mechanism that allows the movement of the panels to follow — like sunflowers — the sun’s path and maximize the benefits of the solar rays.

Representing an investment of US $650 million, the 2.3 million solar panels will be able to produce more than 1,700 GWh per year once fully operational in the second half of this year, providing 1.3 million households with green electrical power.

The Villanueva plant will be the largest facility of its kind in America and will only be surpassed in size by similar behemoths installed in India and China. . . .

After the constitutional reforms of 2013, which allowed for foreign capital to invest in the country’s energy sector, an estimated $8.6 billion has been invested in renewable energy, benefitting 6.5 million households, according to government figures.

Enel Green Power Mexico is the largest renewable energy operator in the country in terms of installed capacity and project portfolio. In addition to the Villanueva solar plant, the firm is building the Amistad wind farm, also in Coahuila, the Don José solar project in Guanajuato and the Salitrillos Wind Farm in Tamaulipas.

https://mexiconewsdaily.com/news/sunflowers-in-the-desert/
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby johnsmith » 29 Apr 2018, 07:27

HBS Guy wrote:an estimated $8.6 billion has been invested in renewable energy

friggen moronic libs
FD.
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.
johnsmith
Rhinocerus

Postby DonDeeHippy » 29 Apr 2018, 09:58

Bongalong... for some reason women are just so superior to anything that ever existed or will ever exist!
DonDeeHippy
Pitbull terrier

Postby johnsmith » 29 Apr 2018, 10:27

I might wait a few years before trying that one. :roll :roll :roll

Let someone else be the guinea pig
FD.
johnsmith
Rhinocerus

Postby HBS Guy » 29 Apr 2018, 10:28

Yes, there are a couple of electric planes. Electric engines—so much less servicing to do than with ICE!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby DonDeeHippy » 29 Apr 2018, 12:21

HBS Guy wrote:Yes, there are a couple of electric planes. Electric engines—so much less servicing to do than with ICE!

Less moving parts less chance of breaking down and when your in the air that's a big thing.
Bongalong... for some reason women are just so superior to anything that ever existed or will ever exist!
DonDeeHippy
Pitbull terrier

Postby pinkeye » 01 May 2018, 01:20

I vote for electric planes.

Quieter, cheaper, less polluting... if you MUST FLY ..
sleeping is good for you
pinkeye
Jaguar

Postby DonDeeHippy » 01 May 2018, 09:07

pinkeye wrote:I vote for electric planes.

Quieter, cheaper, less polluting... if you MUST FLY ..

I love the solar impulse guys and I daydream a lot about the impacts these guys have, with that plane u could fly Melbourne to Sydney in 9 hours totally on the sun, what a wonderful way to spend a Sunday ?

http://aroundtheworld.solarimpulse.com/adventure
DonDeeHippy
Pitbull terrier

Postby HBS Guy » 01 May 2018, 10:14

The usual idiots would say “Nine hours Sydney–Melbourne? I can drive there quicker than that!”

The Kitty Hawk flew, what, a couple hundred yards? Look at aviation now!

An electric plane would be great for short haul flights within/between regions. And the electric planes will improve and become faster. I doubt we will see an electric jet, of course, but a slow plane actually has many uses—aerial photography, geophysical (magnetism, gravity etc) surveys, searching for people lost in the bush etc. And how nice must it be, soaring silently in the air, like gliding but powered.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby DonDeeHippy » 01 May 2018, 18:51

I was thinking great way for grey nomads to explore Australia , once u buy the plane no need to ever go to a gas station again.
DonDeeHippy
Pitbull terrier

Postby johnsmith » 01 May 2018, 19:46

DonDeeHippy wrote:I was thinking great way for grey nomads to explore Australia , once u buy the plane no need to ever go to a gas station again.

not sure if they can tow a caravan with it yet!

:giggle :giggle :giggle :giggle
FD.
johnsmith
Rhinocerus

Postby HBS Guy » 01 May 2018, 19:52

That’d be a sight, eh?
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby johnsmith » 01 May 2018, 19:56

HBS Guy wrote:That’d be a sight, eh?

:c :c :c
FD.
johnsmith
Rhinocerus

PreviousNext

Return to Global Warming and Australian Energy Market