Renewable energy developments

For scientific papers on AGW, record happenings in the Arctic and the Greenland, Himalayan and Antarctic icesheets. Also weatherstorms and higher than average rainfalls and other extreme weather events.

Open to guest posting.

Moderator: johnsmith

Re: Renewable energy developments

Postby johnsmith » 04 Jul 2018, 15:41

HBS Guy wrote:Good post DRAH! :thumb

I know .... I can't believe it :b :b :b
FD.
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.
johnsmith
Warthog

spamone: Animal

Postby MilesAway » 04 Jul 2018, 15:49

Well, all I said was that electricity generation remains the main game.... still: 6000 per week for Tesla is the next goal and if that is met then I think we can truly say we are seeing a world that is turning.

It's nice to see the big names coming on board, of course, aswell! Competition might even happen :bgrin

I would like to see an electric car take on le mans like some loser from oz pol said the other day but to say that an electric car has to beat that sort of bench-mark (saying that the pine thingy mountain climby thing was not a good enough benchmark basically,... blah blah blah) before it's classed as legitimate is just the same old vomit this world has been digesting for decades and it makes no sense to draw stupid lines like that.

Diminishing returns are a reality.... so is the will to power. So where do we go from here? :beer :beer :beer
MilesAway
Jaguar

Postby Panther » 16 Jul 2018, 10:41

Please forgive me......new to this forum, & not all up on this discussion in this thread.

That said, SOLAR POWER.

Solar Power Farms are springing up all across the country.

I have a simple, layman's question regarding solar power.

Solar panels have improved greatly over the past 10 years.

I've been told that they do have limitations though. Like their lifespan. How long should these new solar panels last? And, is it true that during it's lifespan, as time passes, their efficiency drops so that at the end of their life span they generate much less than half the energy they did when they were new?

If a small Solar Farm cost say $50 million to build (just costs for the panels & wiring), at the tipping point of efficiency....how much would it cost (compared to original new), in future dollars, to replace all the "worn out" or "inefficient" panels?

Oh, & while we're at it.........Storage batteries used to store solar power......their dangers?......their life spans?......their efficiency during their life spans?.......their replacement costs?....

The same would apply to Electric Automobile Batteries too?? Or are they quite different in all aspects? If so, how so?

If all this has been covered already, please .... if you can.....provide me the links so I can look over the documentation.

Thanks Image Image
Panther
puppy

Postby DonDeeHippy » 16 Jul 2018, 10:57

Panther wrote:Please forgive me......new to this forum, & not all up on this discussion in this thread.

That said, SOLAR POWER.

Solar Power Farms are springing up all across the country.

I have a simple, layman's question regarding solar power.

Solar panels have improved greatly over the past 10 years.

I've been told that they do have limitations though. Like their lifespan. How long should these new solar panels last? And, is it true that during it's lifespan, as time passes, their efficiency drops so that at the end of their life span they generate much less than half the energy they did when they were new?

If a small Solar Farm cost say $50 million to build (just costs for the panels & wiring), at the tipping point of efficiency....how much would it cost, in future dollars, to replace all the "worn out" or "inefficient" panels?

Oh, & while we're at it.........Storage batteries used to store solar power......their dangers?......their life spans?......their efficiency during their life spans?.......their replacement costs?....

The same would apply to Electric Automobile Batteries too?? Or are they quite different in all aspects? If so, how so?

If all this has been covered already, please .... if you can.....provide me the links so I can look over the documentation.

Thanks Image Image

ok rule of thumb solar panels last around 20 years(guarenteed i should say they can last longer). Depends on the panel its about .5% a year drop so 90% efficent after 20 years (i have a friend that has a 35 year old solar panel thats still full capasity of a whole 9watts).
Major solar is the cheepest new power now and still going down in price.

Batteries.. well the Tesla ones r guarenteed for 10 years, and should be about 80% capasity at 10 years, they will last longer probably about 15 years.Thats with Lithium
Lithium chemistry is non toxic there is a bit of cobolt in there that is toxic
Redflow batteries probably last the longest and for ground storage r a good option too. ALso after 20 years u only need to replace the liquid. Very low energy dencity and lots of room to improve.
Redflow i think is salt not sure of toxisity.
Lithium in cars should last around 2000 full recharges. A Tesla will do 600km's a charge so thats 1.2 million km , then be at 80% so about 480km range. Tesla say the batteries will last 1.6 million km's (1 million Miles)
:thumb :thumb
so many links out there,
https://cleantechnica.com/
a good site with both car and renewable energy in it.
DonDeeHippy
Feral cat

Postby Panther » 16 Jul 2018, 11:05

@ DonDeeHippy Thanks Image ImageImage
Panther
puppy

Postby HBS Guy » 16 Jul 2018, 11:12

We have a hot summer I am worried the big battery will explode. One did in the US somewhere, hopefully lessons have been learned. This coming summer could be a bitch because of the El Nino developing in the Pacific. Be a pity—we need several big batteries to keep the network running with our aging coal fleet.
Abbott & Co are going to cause the mother and father of all recessions—be prepared!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby DonDeeHippy » 16 Jul 2018, 11:32

they have engulfed those big tesla batteries in flames and they havent reacted....
DonDeeHippy
Feral cat

Postby Panther » 16 Jul 2018, 11:34

HBS Guy wrote:We have a hot summer I am worried the big battery will explode. One did in the US somewhere, hopefully lessons have been learned. This coming summer could be a bitch because of the El Nino developing in the Pacific. Be a pity—we need several big batteries to keep the network running with our aging coal fleet.

And with other electrical devices coming online day to day....cars, etc.....the dependency will be pressing the solar & wind facilities to their breaking points.

How long can those facilities be expected to run on peak load/demand before "bending" to the constant stress? ....... Like a typical 2-3 week Adelaide type south-eastern heat wave? Image
Panther
puppy

Postby HBS Guy » 16 Jul 2018, 12:12

Solar will be pumping in summer. With a windfarm, they need to shut down in big storms but that will be managed much better than at the statewide blackout—lessons have been learned.

I am not averse to having a nice nuke plant somewhere near Pt Augusta. Would be a fillip to the state and provide that stable strong power industry needs. That said, solar on rooftops is expanding from residences only to residential and commercial roofs—nice decentralised power so the grid is a bit less important.
Abbott & Co are going to cause the mother and father of all recessions—be prepared!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Previous

Return to Global Warming and Australian Energy Market