Renewable energy developments

For scientific papers on AGW, record happenings in the Arctic and the Greenland, Himalayan and Antarctic icesheets. Also weatherstorms and higher than average rainfalls and other extreme weather events.

Open to guest posting.

Moderator: johnsmith

Re: Renewable energy developments

Postby johnsmith » 04 Jul 2018, 15:41

HBS Guy wrote:Good post DRAH! :thumb

I know .... I can't believe it :b :b :b
FD.
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.
johnsmith
Mastodon

spamone: Animal

Postby MilesAway » 04 Jul 2018, 15:49

Well, all I said was that electricity generation remains the main game.... still: 6000 per week for Tesla is the next goal and if that is met then I think we can truly say we are seeing a world that is turning.

It's nice to see the big names coming on board, of course, aswell! Competition might even happen :bgrin

I would like to see an electric car take on le mans like some loser from oz pol said the other day but to say that an electric car has to beat that sort of bench-mark (saying that the pine thingy mountain climby thing was not a good enough benchmark basically,... blah blah blah) before it's classed as legitimate is just the same old vomit this world has been digesting for decades and it makes no sense to draw stupid lines like that.

Diminishing returns are a reality.... so is the will to power. So where do we go from here? :beer :beer :beer
MilesAway
Jaguar

Postby Panther » 16 Jul 2018, 10:41

Please forgive me......new to this forum, & not all up on this discussion in this thread.

That said, SOLAR POWER.

Solar Power Farms are springing up all across the country.

I have a simple, layman's question regarding solar power.

Solar panels have improved greatly over the past 10 years.

I've been told that they do have limitations though. Like their lifespan. How long should these new solar panels last? And, is it true that during it's lifespan, as time passes, their efficiency drops so that at the end of their life span they generate much less than half the energy they did when they were new?

If a small Solar Farm cost say $50 million to build (just costs for the panels & wiring), at the tipping point of efficiency....how much would it cost (compared to original new), in future dollars, to replace all the "worn out" or "inefficient" panels?

Oh, & while we're at it.........Storage batteries used to store solar power......their dangers?......their life spans?......their efficiency during their life spans?.......their replacement costs?....

The same would apply to Electric Automobile Batteries too?? Or are they quite different in all aspects? If so, how so?

If all this has been covered already, please .... if you can.....provide me the links so I can look over the documentation.

Thanks Image Image
Panther
puppy

Postby DonDeeHippy » 16 Jul 2018, 10:57

Panther wrote:Please forgive me......new to this forum, & not all up on this discussion in this thread.

That said, SOLAR POWER.

Solar Power Farms are springing up all across the country.

I have a simple, layman's question regarding solar power.

Solar panels have improved greatly over the past 10 years.

I've been told that they do have limitations though. Like their lifespan. How long should these new solar panels last? And, is it true that during it's lifespan, as time passes, their efficiency drops so that at the end of their life span they generate much less than half the energy they did when they were new?

If a small Solar Farm cost say $50 million to build (just costs for the panels & wiring), at the tipping point of efficiency....how much would it cost, in future dollars, to replace all the "worn out" or "inefficient" panels?

Oh, & while we're at it.........Storage batteries used to store solar power......their dangers?......their life spans?......their efficiency during their life spans?.......their replacement costs?....

The same would apply to Electric Automobile Batteries too?? Or are they quite different in all aspects? If so, how so?

If all this has been covered already, please .... if you can.....provide me the links so I can look over the documentation.

Thanks Image Image

ok rule of thumb solar panels last around 20 years(guarenteed i should say they can last longer). Depends on the panel its about .5% a year drop so 90% efficent after 20 years (i have a friend that has a 35 year old solar panel thats still full capasity of a whole 9watts).
Major solar is the cheepest new power now and still going down in price.

Batteries.. well the Tesla ones r guarenteed for 10 years, and should be about 80% capasity at 10 years, they will last longer probably about 15 years.Thats with Lithium
Lithium chemistry is non toxic there is a bit of cobolt in there that is toxic
Redflow batteries probably last the longest and for ground storage r a good option too. ALso after 20 years u only need to replace the liquid. Very low energy dencity and lots of room to improve.
Redflow i think is salt not sure of toxisity.
Lithium in cars should last around 2000 full recharges. A Tesla will do 600km's a charge so thats 1.2 million km , then be at 80% so about 480km range. Tesla say the batteries will last 1.6 million km's (1 million Miles)
:thumb :thumb
so many links out there,
https://cleantechnica.com/
a good site with both car and renewable energy in it.
Bongalong... for some reason women are just so superior to anything that ever existed or will ever exist!
DonDeeHippy
mountain lion

Postby Panther » 16 Jul 2018, 11:05

@ DonDeeHippy Thanks Image ImageImage
Panther
puppy

Postby HBS Guy » 16 Jul 2018, 11:12

We have a hot summer I am worried the big battery will explode. One did in the US somewhere, hopefully lessons have been learned. This coming summer could be a bitch because of the El Nino developing in the Pacific. Be a pity—we need several big batteries to keep the network running with our aging coal fleet.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby DonDeeHippy » 16 Jul 2018, 11:32

they have engulfed those big tesla batteries in flames and they havent reacted....
Bongalong... for some reason women are just so superior to anything that ever existed or will ever exist!
DonDeeHippy
mountain lion

Postby Panther » 16 Jul 2018, 11:34

HBS Guy wrote:We have a hot summer I am worried the big battery will explode. One did in the US somewhere, hopefully lessons have been learned. This coming summer could be a bitch because of the El Nino developing in the Pacific. Be a pity—we need several big batteries to keep the network running with our aging coal fleet.

And with other electrical devices coming online day to day....cars, etc.....the dependency will be pressing the solar & wind facilities to their breaking points.

How long can those facilities be expected to run on peak load/demand before "bending" to the constant stress? ....... Like a typical 2-3 week Adelaide type south-eastern heat wave? Image
Panther
puppy

Postby HBS Guy » 16 Jul 2018, 12:12

Solar will be pumping in summer. With a windfarm, they need to shut down in big storms but that will be managed much better than at the statewide blackout—lessons have been learned.

I am not averse to having a nice nuke plant somewhere near Pt Augusta. Would be a fillip to the state and provide that stable strong power industry needs. That said, solar on rooftops is expanding from residences only to residential and commercial roofs—nice decentralised power so the grid is a bit less important.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 23 Jul 2018, 08:25

Mercedes Benz is turning an oldcoal fired generator into a big bank of batteries to smooth out supply and demand on the German electricity grid.

https://electrek.co/2018/06/21/mercedes-benz-turns-coal-power-plant-into-energy-storage-electric-car-batteries/

Seems their version of the Tesla Powerwall is over-engineered and too expensive, but good in this role I suppose.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 26 Jul 2018, 06:13

https://insideevs.com/tesla-powerpacks-push-samoa-towards-100-renewable-energy/

Tesla has been helping Samoa with batteries to keep grid voltage and frequency at the correct levels despite intermittent production of solar and wind installations, allowing the island nation to switch off expensive diesel generators.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 26 Jul 2018, 07:12

This island nation is making the fastest-ever shift to renewables

The island nation of Palau plans to stop buying diesel and go 100% solar by the end of 2019–and offer a blueprint for other island nations to do the same.

https://amp.fastcompany.com/90203041/this-island-nation-is-making-the-fastest-ever-shift-to-renewables

(From a comment to a RobertScribbler blog.)
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 26 Jul 2018, 07:17

https://www.huffingtonpost.com.au/entry/fossil-fuel-industries-climate-lobbying_us_5b4f8fdee4b0de86f4894831
Fossil Fuel Industries Outspend Clean Energy Advocates On Climate Lobbying By 10 To 1
That’s one reason why climate bills fail even though most Americans think global warming is happening.

Whatever underpinnings remained for our democracy, Citizens v United reduced them to dust. In today’s news, there has been a move to allow PACs to hide their donors.

https://robertscribbler.com/2018/07/13/aiming-for-1-5-c-part-ii-this-is-your-home/#comment-148090
And the post below that.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby johnsmith » 08 Aug 2018, 09:12

Hydrogen fuel breakthrough in Queensland could fire up massive new export market

Two cars powered by hydrogen derived from ammonia will be tested in Brisbane today thanks to a Queensland breakthrough that CSIRO researchers say could turn Australia into a renewable energy superpower.

CSIRO principal research scientist Michael Dolan said it was a very exciting day for a project that has been a decade in the making.

"We started out with what we thought was a good idea, it is exciting to see it on the cusp of commercial deployment," he said.

For the past decade, researchers have worked on producing ultra-high purity hydrogen using a unique membrane technology.

The membrane breakthrough will allow hydrogen to be safely transported and used as a mass production energy source.

"We are certainly the first to demonstrate the production of very clean hydrogen from ammonia," Dr Dolan said.

"Today is the very first time in the world that hydrogen cars have been fuelled with a fuel derived from ammonia — carbon-free fuel."

Program leader David Harris said Australia has a huge source of renewable energy — sunlight and wind — that can be utilised to produce hydrogen.

But the highly flammable element is difficult to ship long distances because of its low density.

CSIRO researchers found a way to turn Australian-made hydrogen into ammonia, meaning it could be shipped safely to the mass market of Asia.

It is converted back into hydrogen using their membrane, then pumped into hydrogen-powered cars.

As of now, there are only five such cars in Australia, but there are tens of thousands across Japan, South Korea and Singapore.

"The key here is we can transport the hydrogen from the place where it is produced from renewable energy — let's say maybe that is in outback WA — and we can ship that form of ammonia anywhere in the world," Dr Harris said.

'A massive step for Australia'
Both Toyota and Hyundai have invested millions of dollars into hydrogen-powered cars.

Today's road test will be on Hyundai's flagship eco car the Nexo SUV, and Toyota's Murai.

The ABC got a sneak peek at the testing station where the cars were fuelled up and given a short test at CSIRO's Pullenvale technology hub in western Brisbane.

Hyundai spokesman Scott Nargar said the main advantage of hydrogen over electric cars was they could be filled up in three minutes like a normal car and had a range of up to 800 kilometres.

"So they are just like driving a normal car but there will be zero emissions," he said.

"From a car manufacturer's point of view, we see this as a massive step for Australia.

"Working in and out of South Korea quite regularly, I know Hyundai has a massive contract to provide hydrogen buses to the Korean Government.

"It just announced 16,000 hydrogen-powered cars will go on the road and 310 hydrogen refilling stations across the country under a five-year plan.

"They need to power those cars from somewhere so why can't it be renewable hydrogen from Australia?"

Toyota spokesman Matthew Macleod said the breakthrough was exciting because it addressed one of the key challenges with hydrogen.

"It is a game-changer," he said.

"Ammonia already has established routes for transportation and to transport at relatively normal temperatures.

"When it gets to where it is going they can actually pull the hydrogen out using the CSIRO technology, which opens up fuel cell technology to markets that previously did not have the technology.

"From an energy perspective, the ability to move solar energy or wind energy from one place to another using ammonia opens up doors that previously would have been closed because of the difficulties of transporting hydrogen."

Australia's next export boom
The CSIRO team has already received expressions of interest from Japan, South Korea and Europe, with industry players looking at taking up supplies initially to fuel commercial vehicles like buses, taxis, trucks and trains.

Dr Dolan said a million hydrogen-powered cars were expected to hit the streets by 2025.

Currently hydrogen-fuelled cars sell for about $80,000, but, as with electric cars run on power-grid charged batteries, the price is expected to fall as production increases.

Mr Nargar said they expected to see price parity with petrol and diesel cars within a decade.

Dr Dolan said the cost for the fuel would be around $15 a kilogram, with an average car holding five kilos of pure hydrogen in a tank.

"But the efficiency of the car is twice as good as current gasoline cars, so you can actually drive twice as far on a tank," he said.

Dr Dolan said renewable hydrogen was seen as Australia's next export boom.

"It could potentially rival our LNG export industry," he said.

"As of this year Australia is the world's biggest natural gas exporter. Hydrogen could be in the same position in the next couple of decades."

Hydrogen-powered cars could be on sale in Australia with the next two years.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-08-08/hydrogen-fuel-breakthrough-csiro-game-changer-export-potential/10082514

Only the fuckwit libs keep cutting CSIRO funding. CSIRO hits well above it's weight. Funding should be doubled for it.
FD.
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.
johnsmith
Mastodon

Postby HBS Guy » 08 Aug 2018, 09:26

Yeah, a shame.

Hope they don’t concentrate on cars tho—EVs are up and running.

There is a hydrogen–enriched diesel engine to boost fuel efficiency of semis etc. Plenty other uses.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 11 Aug 2018, 12:29

Australia Post is going electric. Investing in electric bikes (it already has 1000) and now electric trikes and will look into electric vans. APO is also looking to generate its own clean energy.

The German Post Office already has a large fleet of electric vans and bikes. Still, good for APO. A Carbon Price, like we used to have, would spur moves like this in households and businesses. Still, the way the incompetent and corrupt Libs have let the energy prices go up and up is doing a similar thing, I suppose, just not as neatly.

From ReNew magazine, Jul–Sep 2018 issue.

(Will buy these magazines for a while since I want max power self sufficiency. In Tassie that will take solar and wind. If I can’t be fully self sufficient I will arrange things so washing machines and dishwashers run in the middle of the day in summer, then the hot water service then any spare power can flow into a battery. In winter things might have to be done differently—with automation the system can work out when peak power inflow happens.)

This isn’t quite the right place for it but home automation is very nearly here. There is Apple’s Siri and Google’s Home Assistant and there are robot vacuum cleaners (I believe these aren’t all that good at this stage?) and you can use a timer to turn lights on and off and, with bluetooth verbally instruct lights to be turned on and doors locked/unlocked.

We also have solar panels on the roof and domestic–sized wind generators and need to try and optimise use of the renewable energy we generate, e.g. run washing machines and dishwashers in the middle of the day when solar cells are generating at peak intensity.

All of this leads me to think that home automation is about to really take off! A home computer will become a computer that runs a home, not one you use at home. Imagine a door that will turn away Jehovah’s Witnesses for you! A fridge that tells you you are about to run out of milk and eggs and will order them in for you. The Internet of Things inside a home! Never need another key—facial recognition will unlock your front door!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 16 Aug 2018, 12:08

Plug Me In @WiebeWkkr Follow Follow @WiebeWkkr More

Arrived in Perth today! I'm very proud to show that it is also possible to reach the world's most isolated city in an electric car.
And that you can drive from the Netherlands to the other side of the world without visiting a fuel station but that's old news isn't it?

#PlugMeIn
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 12 Oct 2018, 08:24

HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby fisherman » 19 Oct 2018, 07:04

Renewable energy is the future. Too bad there still is morons like the Spanish government that impose a "sun tax" on people. I think the Spanish sun tax was around 7% last time I checked. Freaks.
fisherman

Postby HBS Guy » 19 Oct 2018, 08:50

A “sun tax?”

Guess Spanish govt needs to get taxes wherever it can! EZ not been kind to Spain.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby fisherman » 19 Oct 2018, 14:11

HBS Guy wrote:A “sun tax?”

Guess Spanish govt needs to get taxes wherever it can! EZ not been kind to Spain.

https://www.renewableenergyworld.com/ar ... ar-pv.html

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solar_power_in_Spain
fisherman

Postby johnsmith » 21 Oct 2018, 17:49

this is a great move. Lancaster, a city of 170 000 totally running on solar

US city empowers Australian councils to develop solar as lack of federal climate policy causes concern

A city in southern California has become the first city in the world to be zero net energy with solar farms powering the entire city, and now it is inspiring Australian cities to follow its lead.

Being zero net energy means the city produces more solar electricity through solar farms than it can use.

Lancaster Mayor Rex Parris has attributed an increase in employment, new manufacturers moving to the city, and a reduction in crime to the approach to alternative energy.

This week, Mr Parris has been in Kiama on the NSW south coast at the Cities Power Partnership summit, speaking to local council representatives from around Australia about how they might be able to do something similar.

He said he had decided to take the lead on alternative energy for the safety and wellbeing of his constituents, and this continued to drive him forward.

"Climate disruption poses the greatest threat to the public, and the primary function of government is to protect the people," Mr Parris said.

"It's the greatest threat the world has ever seen."

Communities inspired to invest in alternative energy

Local councils have been inspired by Lancaster and its alternative energy approaches, with many council representatives saying the Federal Government's lack of climate change policy makes it even more imperative that they take the lead.

One council that has been particularly inspired is the Lismore council, which has established a community solar program.

Using investments from residents, the council has installed a number of community solar farms, including a floating solar farm and one on the roof of its leisure centre.

The council also has a 100 per cent renewable energy target by 2023 for all electricity generated and used by the council.

Lismore Deputy Mayor Elly Bird was at the climate summit in Kiama and said the Northern Rivers was leading the way when it came to renewable energy in Australia.

"Unfortunately at a federal level climate policy is a complete shambles," Cr Bird said.

"In the absence of any significant action at the federal level, Local Government can really play a leadership role in this space.

"We can work with our communities to provide renewable energy infrastructure we know they want."

Local governments have crucial role to play

Macquarie University academic and climate change researcher Lesley Hughes, a keynote speaker at the summit, agrees with council representatives that they must step up and fill the vacuum left by the Federal Government.

Professor Hughes said councils were the ones who bore the brunt of a changing climate.

"Whether it's building roads or telling people where they can put their houses, Local Government is where the adaption rubber really hits the road in terms of climate change," she said.

Professor Hughes said alternative energy community projects were crucial in generating interest among citizens about the impacts of climate change and what they could do to help the planet.

"What we are facing is a planetary catastrophe," she said. "People need to act now."

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-10-21/californian-city-powered-by-solar-inspires-aussie-councils/10401642

a few more Aussie cities should do the same.
FD.
johnsmith
Mastodon

Postby Bowerbird » 22 Oct 2018, 23:08

I enjotpyed the conversation, well the last page at least

I agree with those touting for more energy storage in the grid as it amakes no sense not to have backup. Microgrids are the wave of the future and particularly when you realise the vast infrastructure we have put in place linking so many rural towns to the main grids. If we can develop reliable microgrids to support those towns it would save money ultimately. To that end I do,wonder why we have not put more research into Vanadium redox batteries. The tech is Australian. They seem pretty robust and if weight and room is not an issue they should work well
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vanadium_redox_battery
Bowerbird
puppy

Postby HBS Guy » 23 Oct 2018, 09:38

Wow, they would have a lot of advantages! To add capacity just add another tank of electrolyte! One electrode instead of two!

This would be perfect for CSIRO to bring it to a commercial standard and licence it, if the Libs hadn’t cut CSIRO funding and appointed as CEO a dickhead who knows no science.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby dissilymordentroge » 23 Oct 2018, 10:19

HBS Guy wrote:Wow, they would have a lot of advantages! To add capacity just add another tank of electrolyte! One electrode instead of two!

This would be perfect for CSIRO to bring it to a commercial standard and licence it, if the Libs hadn’t cut CSIRO funding and appointed as CEO a dickhead who knows no science.

Nobody can explain to me why the LIberals have turned against science. Surely the party of big business should have a vested interest in maintaining technological advances in Australia and supporting science education to the hilt. I don’t get it.
The Human Race is insane.
dissilymordentroge
Jack Russell

PreviousNext

Return to Global Warming and Australian Energy Market