Problems with Nuclear in Australia

For scientific papers on AGW, record happenings in the Arctic and the Greenland, Himalayan and Antarctic icesheets. Also weatherstorms and higher than average rainfalls and other extreme weather events.

Open to guest posting.

Moderator: johnsmith

Problems with Nuclear in Australia

Postby DonDeeHippy » 09 Nov 2019, 05:34

https://johnquiggin.com/2019/08/08/are-smrs-vaporware/
It seems as if nuclear fans in Australia have given up on conventional Generation III/III+ reactors such as the Westinghouse AP1000 and Areva EPR: unsurprising in view of the massive cost overruns and delays experienced in attempts to construct them.
They’ve also gone quiet on the prospect of more advanced “Generation IV” reactors. Again that’s unsurprising. Most of the leading research projects in this field have been abandoned or deferred past 2030, even for prototypes.
The great hope now is for Small Modular Reactors, which will, it is hoped, be assembled on site from parts built in factories. The idea is that the savings in construction will offset the loss of the scale economies inherent in having a larger reactor (arising ultimately from the fact that the volume of a sphere grows faster than its surface area).
Lots of SMR ideas have been proposed, but the only one with any serious prospect of entering commercial use is that proposed by NuScale, with funding from the US Department of Energy. NuScale has recently claimed that it should have its first reactor (consisting of 12 modules) in operation by 2027.
A couple of observations on this. First, when the project was funded back in 2014 the proposed start date was 2023. So, in the course of five years, the target time to completion has been reduced from nine years to eight. That suggests the 2027 target is pretty optimistic.
Second, NuScale isn’t actually going to build the factory that is the key selling point of the SMR idea. The press release says that the parts will be made by BWX, formerly Babcock and Wilcox (who abandoned their own SMR proposal around the time NuScale got funded).
So, there you have it. Australia’s proposed nuclear strategy rests on a non-existent plant to be manufactured by a company that apparently knows nothing about it.

Yup when it comes to Nuclear power, the costs and timeframe always blow out, and the waste and fuel is unacceptable and when they are forced to close because they are uneconomical they are very expensive to dismantle......
On the other hand Wind, Solar and Thermal are all getting better and cheaper and their biggest problem of being intermittent (well solar and wind) is being addressed with many idea's of storing the power for later use (which is also getting cheaper and more efficient)......
I don't think Nuke has any place in a clean world, using wind, tides, the sun and natural thermal heat is in line with nature not raging against it....
Bongalong... for some reason women are just so superior to anything that ever existed or will ever exist!
DonDeeHippy
Jaguar

spamone: Animal

Re: Problems with Nuclear in Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 09 Nov 2019, 08:27

Only way that can be reversed is fusion becoming commercial. No doubt it will at some point but no one can say when or how. There is one project building but not operational yet so we will have to wait to see if it lives up to the promises.

There are sources of renewable energy not yet tapped: tidal and wave.

The Cooper Basin has good geothermal energy—time that was tapped!

Nuclear is dearer than renewable energy, a carbon price would help nuclear compete against fossil fuels and it amuses me greatly to see deniers protest about carbon prices while pushing nuclear. Fuckwits emoting not reasoning.

I am still in favor of some nuclear energy here despite the price but the time to build one seems massive.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby pinkeye » 09 Nov 2019, 22:50

well at least you admit to your favour for nuclear power. Never could understand your position there, Monk. Not an avenue I would ever think of taking.

Much better options available.
sleeping is good for you
pinkeye
Warthog

Postby HBS Guy » 10 Nov 2019, 07:48

It is non–intermittent, carbon free energy and I see it as part of the mix.

Driving home from Clare I headed north to Hallett then Crystal Brook past many windfarms which I like. But a lot of the generators were still and it was cloudy.

I would like to see wave, tide and geothermal added to the mix, then we wouldn’t need dirty Vic or NSW coal fired power. I would also like to see more windfarms in the south, in the hills behind Victor Harbor/Middleton/Pt Elliot and on Kangaroo Is—because of the shape and orientiation of Backstairs Passage to Antarctica it gets wind there like 364 days a year. Yet the inhabitants there won’t hear of it. That makes them prime candidates for load shedding in my view (if/when load shedding is needed of course.) Maybe out of sight offshore?
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby pinkeye » 10 Nov 2019, 22:51

HBS Guy wrote:It is non–intermittent, carbon free energy and I see it as part of the mix.

Driving home from Clare I headed north to Hallett then Crystal Brook past many windfarms which I like. But a lot of the generators were still and it was cloudy.

I would like to see wave, tide and geothermal added to the mix, then we wouldn’t need dirty Vic or NSW coal fired power. I would also like to see more windfarms in the south, in the hills behind Victor Harbor/Middleton/Pt Elliot and on Kangaroo Is—because of the shape and orientiation of Backstairs Passage to Antarctica it gets wind there like 364 days a year. Yet the inhabitants there won’t hear of it. That makes them prime candidates for load shedding in my view (if/when load shedding is needed of course.) Maybe out of sight offshore?

YOU ignore Adani.?
THAT WHOLE SHITFIGHT.? No ADANI EVER is my position. Various other proposals are also extant, but I do hope public opinion will cause the profiteers in OUR GOVERNMENT , to reconsider ALL such proposals,, whether they be lots more open-seam coal Mines, already proposed .. or fracking for Gas. They DO NOT CARE. I'm disgusted.

Get behind THIS if you care.

See Delhi in the News..?

That's what Adani coal, supplied by us... blood money for profit, will add to. . It is totally unacceptable. EVEN INDIA doesn't want our COAL. They want to pursue renewables. But Mr Morrison loves Coal. Loves the Money... even tho he doesn't spend it on the people.

As you say MONK, a hypothetical 'Surplus', is more important to this Morrison Government, than the welfare of it's people.
Or perhaps I should say... than the well-being of the voters.
The arrogance of Morrison is beyond NORMAL.

He is a caricature of the worst , supposed democratic, leader I have seen, next to TRUMP, of course.

If he read this comment, I think he'd be flattered. THAT is the FUCKHEAD that is OUR PM.
sleeping is good for you
pinkeye
Warthog

Postby DonDeeHippy » 11 Nov 2019, 04:50

yup coal stations and mines in the USA are closing faster and faster and that with Trump promicing the workers more jobs and he was going to make them great again, the fact is Renewables are getting cheeper and unfortunately gas , but even that is starting to be taken over by renewable.... Yes yes France has lots of Nuke power, but the USA who we are more linked to are shutting down Nuke plants because they are just not feasible..... We should learn from their mistakes since we like to copy them so much.....
Mothra did a post about a Greenpeace documentary and how many of the Liberal leaders have and are supported and worked for the coal industry, I'd love to see all politicians that have worked for the Fossil Fuel Industry have nothing to do with Energy and environmental policy... At least we would get some new names... :purple
Bongalong... for some reason women are just so superior to anything that ever existed or will ever exist!
DonDeeHippy
Jaguar

Postby HBS Guy » 11 Nov 2019, 05:40

Adani is export, not Australian energy.

I wonder if it will actually go ahead or export all that much coal. The coal is not the best and India is switching to RE anyway.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby pinkeye » 13 Nov 2019, 00:06

HBS Guy wrote:Adani is export, not Australian energy.

I wonder if it will actually go ahead or export all that much coal. The coal is not the best and India is switching to RE anyway.

Precisely.. it is all about poisoning our country so some Billionaire in India can get richer selling coal to the poor. After the recent air pollution in Delhi, eg, why would they WANT to put MORE filth into their air.?

Coal has passed it's USE BY DATE, and all those people fat and rich on it, will just have to do something BETTER.

A filthy industry in ALL respects.

And NUCLEAR POWER is also OLD tech. It's by-products are this very day, polluting OUR EARTH. Not solvable, or recoverable.

DON'T WANT THAT.!

Not that it matters... try to build such a thing.. Don't think it can be done, in THIS climate.
sleeping is good for you
pinkeye
Warthog

Return to Global Warming and Australian Energy Market