US 5-day power shutdown to mitigate fire risk

For scientific papers on AGW, record happenings in the Arctic and the Greenland, Himalayan and Antarctic icesheets. Also weatherstorms and higher than average rainfalls and other extreme weather events.

Open to guest posting.

Moderator: johnsmith

US 5-day power shutdown to mitigate fire risk

Postby Squire » 09 Oct 2019, 09:00

It's quite astonishing to cut off power to ~800,000 customers to mitigate fire risk due to windy and dry conditions in California.

Perhaps this is a portent of the future in Australia when the same conditions occur.

Will the use of home power generation and candles during the shutdown be a bigger risk of fire than the overhead power lines?

https://www.sfchronicle.com/california-wildfires/article/PG-E-power-shut-off-257-000-Bay-Area-residents-14500945.php

PG&E to cut power to 800,000 customers across California after midnight; Marin added to list
Michael Cabanatuan and J.D. Morris Oct. 8, 2019 Updated: Oct. 8, 2019 2:41 p.m.

Michael Lewis, Senior VP Electric Operations, on Tuesday, Oct. 8, 2019 in San Francisco, Calif.

Nearly 800,000 Pacific Gas and Electric Co. customers will lose power starting just after midnight Wednesday as the embattled utility launches its most extreme effort yet to avoid starting a wildfire in extremely dry and windy weather.

PG&E said Tuesday that it will proceed with the massive outages it has been considering this week added 200,000 customers into the mix. Shutoffs will take place in every county in the Bay Area except San Francisco and will also occur in some of the far northern and southern corners of PG&E’s service area, reaching 34 counties.

The communities who will be affected by the outages has grown since PG&E’s initial estimate on Monday, with portions of Marin, Humboldt, Trinity, Santa Barbara and Kern counties now added to the list. PG&E said communities as will lose power at different times “depending on local timing of the severe wind conditions,” starting in the north.

PG&E Power Shut-Offs

Could you lose power? Map of potential PG&E shut-offs

What BART expects will happen during shutoffs
The shutoffs are intended to prevent PG&E equipment from starting the kind of wildfires they were responsible in October 2017, when the company’s power lines started a series of fires in the North Bay, and last year, when they ignited the historically deadly and destructive Camp Fire in Butte County. PG&E has had the program in place for more than a year but has never used it on as wide a scale as it intends to do Wednesday.

Alameda County officials issued an advisory Tuesday morning that PG&E is expected to disconnect power to more than 35,000 residences and businesses for up to five days starting early Wednesday. ...
Squire
mountain lion

spamone: Animal

Re: US 5-day power shutdown to mitigate fire risk

Postby SethBullock » 09 Oct 2019, 12:53

Watch for the California Legislature to pass a law shielding PG&E from civil suits in the event of fire started by their lines.

"If we're going to be civilly liable, we're going to shut off the power during dry weather."
"At least he's not Hillary" - Hatty

"There's only one solution: MORE guns!" - greggerypeccary

... "mr know it all" - Bongalong
SethBullock
Jaguar

Postby HBS Guy » 09 Oct 2019, 15:31

Be prepared to be without power on a hot day.

Oil lamps—and the oil they use NOT kerosene!
Portable solar panel
Deep discharge battery charged up BEFORE the hot weather
Car fridge.

Buy some LED torches, keep spare batteries on hand.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby johnsmith » 09 Oct 2019, 16:52

they should me made to clear the lines rather than cut power to citizens. But that would require they spend money. It's far cheaper to bribe a politician under the guise of political donations than it is to pay people to keep the lines clear.
FD.
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.
johnsmith
Mastodon

Postby HBS Guy » 09 Oct 2019, 17:17

I will relax once in my own house with solar panels and windmills and battery and a cellar and hot and cold smokers and vege patch + the fruit trees.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby pinkeye » 09 Oct 2019, 23:04

I understand your dream Monk.

If a fire comes here, I think I'll sit tight.

But yeah California is fucked because they've drained the aquifers, and the soil has NEVER BEEN DRIER.! ( make that sound like Trump)..

They have always believed all the BS and ignored the need to preserve their aquifers. Acres of green lawns in those thousands of Mc Mansions has taken a huge toll on state resources.

Too Bad Now.
sleeping is good for you
pinkeye
Warthog

Postby pinkeye » 09 Oct 2019, 23:19

johnsmith wrote:they should me made to clear the lines rather than cut power to citizens. But that would require they spend money. It's far cheaper to bribe a politician under the guise of political donations than it is to pay people to keep the lines clear.

It does make you consider just how privatisation of necessary public utilities has been such a monster failure.
Just like here I imagine.

The government doesn't actually want to DO anything ( altho it will if forced).
No NO it wants profit-making entities to run vital infrastructure, just like here.
I always wondered why the US example wasn't sufficient to change this course. Seems we're so stupid we have re-invent the wheel, so to speak, everytime a new idea arises.
There are a number of govt policies I could point to, but I'll spare you. But how about THINK ABOUT IT.

If we keep going the CEO's will OPENLY run the country.
sleeping is good for you
pinkeye
Warthog

Postby DonDeeHippy » 10 Oct 2019, 06:06

SethBullock wrote:Watch for the California Legislature to pass a law shielding PG&E from civil suits in the event of fire started by their lines.

"If we're going to be civilly liable, we're going to shut off the power during dry weather."

Yup make the corporations even more exempt from the public.... :purple
Bongalong... for some reason women are just so superior to anything that ever existed or will ever exist!
DonDeeHippy
Jaguar

Postby Squire » 10 Oct 2019, 21:56

PG&E are sending the Legislators and the public a message.
Squire
mountain lion

Postby pinkeye » 11 Oct 2019, 01:10

YES
Climate Change Is REAL.
sleeping is good for you
pinkeye
Warthog

Postby DonDeeHippy » 11 Oct 2019, 05:30

your right, the government like here has made corporations in control of Public utilities and now if one get sued it just turns that service off to prove it should be above reproach.... :purple
Bongalong... for some reason women are just so superior to anything that ever existed or will ever exist!
DonDeeHippy
Jaguar

Postby DonDeeHippy » 11 Oct 2019, 05:34

https://www.teslarati.com/tesla-ev-owne ... er-outage/
As California faces a historic power outage in several Bay Area counties, American electric car maker Tesla appears to have begun making preparations for its customers who are residing in affected areas. Reports from the Tesla community reveal that the company is sending charging reminders to electric car owners, while Powerwall 2 customers are starting to see their home battery units charging up to full power in preparation for the mass outages.
Pacific Gas and Electric (PG&E) has begun a proactive effort to shut down power to around 800,000 customers across several Bay Area counties. The power company opted to perform the shutdown as part of its efforts to prevent potential wildfires, especially considering the dry and windy conditions in the state. Incidentally, some past fires were started by live PG&E power lines that fell into vegetation due to winds.
DonDeeHippy
Jaguar

Postby johnsmith » 11 Oct 2019, 15:38

DonDeeHippy wrote:your right, the government like here has made corporations in control of Public utilities and now if one get sued it just turns that service off to prove it should be above reproach.... :purple

govt should send their own message. Tell tell PG&E that if they can't supply power, the govt. will nationalise the grid and take it off them, forcibly. See which message works best?
FD.
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.
johnsmith
Mastodon

Postby HBS Guy » 11 Oct 2019, 16:15

This neoliberalism has gone crazy. The SA state-wide power blackout wasn’t because of the wind farms (tho their shut down in the face of major storms is better managed it was towers carrying the high voltage lines falling over in a 100kph wind—WAY underspec.

If I was the Premier I would have sued the bloody private owner of the SA grid and accepted the grid back as settlement of the suit. Privatisation is madness!

The RBA has cut the cash rate to 0.075% and you KNOW they are itching to cut it to zero—and beyond, banks taking interest OUT of your accounts by the end of next year is possible—the Libs don’t want to stimulate so the RBA will keep cutting. Time to put some money under the mattress! Or punt on real estate—low low interest rates!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby Squire » 12 Oct 2019, 00:08

California is burning and PG&E can't be blamed because they blacked out their network.
Squire
mountain lion

Return to Global Warming and Australian Energy Market