Bushfires—already!

For scientific papers on AGW, record happenings in the Arctic and the Greenland, Himalayan and Antarctic icesheets. Also weatherstorms and higher than average rainfalls and other extreme weather events.

Open to guest posting.

Moderator: johnsmith

Bushfires—already!

Postby HBS Guy » 06 Sep 2019, 18:46

HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Re: Bushfires—already!

Postby johnsmith » 06 Sep 2019, 18:56

this is an area where bush fires aren't typically a problem. Usually the undergrowth is moist because of the rain and humidity. This year however it has been very very dry. Not good.

This bush fire will get worse, winds picked up this afternoon and it was blowing erratically although it seems to have settled down over the last hour. I'd hate to be a homeowner near there. Whilst I'm far away enough that it won't get near me, we've been copping all the smoke from this fire for a couple of days now.
FD.
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.
johnsmith
Mastodon

spamone: Animal

Postby HBS Guy » 06 Sep 2019, 19:33

Hmmmm better review your bushfire plan, just in case.

Should have done some fuel reduction burns earlier?
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby johnsmith » 06 Sep 2019, 19:43

HBS Guy wrote:Hmmmm better review your bushfire plan, just in case.

Should have done some fuel reduction burns earlier?

they've been doing fuel reduction burns for over a month now. It's just so damn dry.

I don't need a bushfire plan where I am. I'm a half hour drive from the bushfires, in the middle of suburbia.
FD.
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.
johnsmith
Mastodon

Postby pinkeye » 06 Sep 2019, 23:40

Yeah it is scary.

I live North of the fires , and YES!!! it is SO DRY. !!!
I'm surrounded by bush.. have some old trees too.
But the younger ones.. gums and the like mainly are dying. !! One week into Spring.
It was 35'c here today, and 34'c yesterday. Crikey.

I'd like to skip Summer, thanks. :hot
sleeping is good for you
pinkeye
Warthog

Postby johnsmith » 07 Sep 2019, 09:55

pinkeye wrote:I'd like to skip Summer, thanks

going to be hot dry one.
FD.
johnsmith
Mastodon

Postby HBS Guy » 07 Sep 2019, 11:43

Dunno about Adelaide. If I didn’t fear a hellish hot summer I would be in Tassy Dec–Feb, but I will be here doing my best to keep Mum alive through it—solar panels, battery, car fridge, lots frozen bottles water in freezer.

Maybe shade cloth on north side of house. 99 is not a good age in a hellish hot summer. Wish I could take her with me to Tassie Nov–Mar but demented people unhappy not being in familiar surroundings.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby pinkeye » 08 Sep 2019, 02:17

crikey Monk. !

all the very best with your Mum...……….

I hope all the forecasts are wrong.

It's dropped 10'c since yesterday. thank goodness...altho winds are still forecast to be gusty.
No rain in sight.
sleeping is good for you
pinkeye
Warthog

Postby HBS Guy » 08 Sep 2019, 08:31

We have air conditioning. It is a power cut on a 45°C day I worry about. We have so many old coal fired power stations that do tend to crash on hot days, long powerlines vulnerable to bushfires and while we have plenty of wind we have fuck all solar. Last summer some suburbs here had their power cut off for over a day—load shedding. Why the suburbs were not rotated every 2 hours say I do not know but these suburbs were without power for over a day—in really hot weather!

You cannot buy anything when power is out—tills don’t work so you can’t even buy a bag of ice!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby pinkeye » 09 Sep 2019, 00:44

I know. Last summer my area was deliberately left without power for almost 48 hrs.Work on the lines, or some such. They kept it within the hours after which they would have had to pay all customers compensation. In 35+ temperatures.

Of course here you need power to pump water. Interesting indeed. One can prepare to a certain extent, but really..?

I am not looking forward to Summer.. I'm looking forward to Winter.

BUT
IS
Winter coming?

The fires here in SEQ are literally hair-raising. Unprecedented. Still burning.

What's going to happen through SUMMER. :OMG
sleeping is good for you
pinkeye
Warthog

Postby HBS Guy » 09 Sep 2019, 15:25

I would do something similar to what I am doing: some solar panels, battery, small car fridge, smallest proper fridge/freezer you can find. Freeze 4L bottles of water (less 10%) and find some aue de Cologne (4711 I think?) to wipe yourself when hot—will cool you down (or use metho. . .)
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby johnsmith » 09 Sep 2019, 16:16

pinkeye wrote:The fires here in SEQ are literally hair-raising. Unprecedented. Still burning.

and likely to keep burning for a while. Wind is blustery, the area is really dry and no rain to be seen for at least another fortnight.
FD.
johnsmith
Mastodon

Postby HBS Guy » 09 Sep 2019, 16:25

Signature of a catastrophe.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby pinkeye » 09 Sep 2019, 22:12

well..
it's happening quicker than anticipated. it seems global climate change is increasing exponentially every year.

IF this pace continues, it doesn't really matter what energy source we use. The infra-structure, including human dwellings, will be so badly battered they will never be repaired. The homeless people you see in the Bahamas are particularly poignant. The footage of the destruction, together with the obvious inability of 'society' to help all these people, NOW, when they need it, presages the future.
For ALL of us.
We will not be able to meet the needs of the people. People all over the world are currently homeless due to natural events like earthquakes, and volcanic eruptions, floods, drought, and then of course the man-made disasters of war and famine, of pollution , over-population and the unknown numbers of victims to corporate greed. And THEN there is Climate Change.

It's happening here in Australia, NOW.

Locally , this is unprecedented. These fires. It shows just how dry it is, when places that are consistently thought of as relatively safe are tonight destroyed. I wonder how the state and federal government(s) will behave when this catastrophe, in the first week of spring in SEQ, FIRE FFS!! continues throughout the next 4-5 months min. :OMG

It is a Brave New World .
sleeping is good for you
pinkeye
Warthog

Postby HBS Guy » 09 Sep 2019, 22:26

Yeah. Of course, deniers pulled up newspaper clippings of similar fires in 1933 or something. I pointed out that will all our gear incl water bombers still couldn’t get this one under control. Dickheads, no idea of frequency distributions, statistical analysis. BoM has said fire season has lengthened and so it has, many more fires this time of year all over the country.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby pinkeye » 09 Sep 2019, 22:58

I used to read all sorts of dystopian science fiction.
Well all sorts of fiction actually. :roll

The possibilities are literally endless. Things I read about in my youth as S-F are now real and present.

In so many areas I see reflections of these ideas in real life.

In at least one Australia had been wiped clean by fire by, say 2100. ( Can't remember now, it was a long time ago but I remember my sense of horror, at the possibility., which even back then was being talked about.)

The only hope I can see, really, is that with this speeding up of the cycles, we may have an early WET SEASON as well.

In fact given the seemingly more and more widely swinging weather conditions we MAY have a MASSIVE WET SEASON.!
I have my fingers crossed.

My concerns are becoming more personal as the potential for climate change to seriously impact upon MY life becomes apparent. .!!

There are some strange people in the world. Like the ones who start fires in these conditions.. and there are people like my ex, who declares he just wants to live to see the end of the world.
sleeping is good for you
pinkeye
Warthog

Postby HBS Guy » 09 Sep 2019, 23:36

Why do you think I wanted to move to where it was a bit cooler?
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby pinkeye » 11 Sep 2019, 00:09

si, mi comprende>
but Tasmania eess goin' to beeee like Mehico..!! Sooo Hot. Like de chili.

Antarctica??
Not as silly as it sounds...
ahh or the ISS..
it's cold in space.
sleeping is good for you
pinkeye
Warthog

Postby HBS Guy » 11 Sep 2019, 06:42

By the time Tassie is tropical I will be safely and cosily dead.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby pinkeye » 11 Sep 2019, 22:58

yes, well let's hope so, eh?
sleeping is good for you
pinkeye
Warthog

Postby HBS Guy » 12 Sep 2019, 04:41

Looking forward to getting rid of me, eh?

:rofl :rofl :rofl
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 12 Sep 2019, 12:28

No relief in sight for NSW & Qld:

https://theconversation.com/the-winter-was-dry-the-spring-will-likely-be-dry-heres-why-122626

Indian Ocean Dipole and now the Sudden Stratospheric Warming over Antarctica.

Hope I get my trees planted before that rain hits!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby pinkeye » 13 Sep 2019, 00:48

so I didn't click the link... No RAIN for Queensland.??
It is not a positive outlook for the rest of the SE either.

WE NEED RAIN.

It is progressing. Firefighters are still fighting fires as I post.

Some of the fires were lit by teens.. in Peregian,, 2 charged. So sad.
sleeping is good for you
pinkeye
Warthog

Postby HBS Guy » 13 Sep 2019, 18:37

You need rain? You will get. . .

Queensland’s bushfire and cyclone seasons could collide later this year as the state cops a battering from climate change, the state’s Emergency Services Minister has warned.

Fearing a difficult end to 2019 – and with firefighters working around the clock to contain more than 55 bushfires burning across southern Queensland ahead of predicted worsening weather – Craig Crawford has appointed a taskforce to ensure volunteers called on in times of disasters can cope.

https://thenewdaily.com.au/news/national/2019/09/13/bushfires-queensland-nsw-weather/

Good thing to do—declare a moratorium on all new coal mines!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Return to Global Warming and Australian Energy Market