fuel efficient semi's

For scientific papers on AGW, record happenings in the Arctic and the Greenland, Himalayan and Antarctic icesheets. Also weatherstorms and higher than average rainfalls and other extreme weather events.

Open to guest posting.

Moderator: johnsmith

fuel efficient semi's

Postby DonDeeHippy » 11 Jun 2018, 13:24

https://www.greencarreports.com/news/1117076_shell-starship-semi-posts-record-fuel-economy-in-cross-country-run
The streamlined Shell Starship Airflow semi truck has made it to Florida on its cross-country fuel-economy record run, and the results have been tabulated: The truck posted 28.4 percent better fuel economy than the average truck on the road, while carrying significantly more weight. The Starship averaged 8.94 mpg, compared with 6.4 mpg for the average truck.
A better measure, say the truck's sponsors, is freight-ton efficiency—the number of miles such a truck can transport one ton of freight on a gallon of diesel fuel. The Shell Starship, carrying 39,900 pounds of material to be deposited in Florida waters to create a new reef, posted a freight-ton efficiency of 178.4 mpg. The average truck, carrying 22,500 pounds, returns about 72 freight-ton mpg. That represents a 248 percent improvement in real-world efficiency.
Until Tesla get their act together, new semi's could all be this good.
along with Hytecs hydrogen enhancers could get another 20% fuel reduction too :) :bgrin
Bongalong... for some reason women are just so superior to anything that ever existed or will ever exist!
DonDeeHippy
Pitbull terrier

spamone: Animal

Re: fuel efficient semi's

Postby DonDeeHippy » 11 Jun 2018, 13:28

https://www.vox.com/energy-and-environment/2018/2/16/16926950/hydrogen-fuel-technology-economy-hytech-storage
It’s called Internal Combustion Assistance (ICA), a modification to internal combustion engines that enables them to substantially increase their fuel efficiency and reduce their air pollution. It does this by adding tiny amounts of gaseous hydrogen and oxygen to the fuel just before it is combusted in the engine’s cylinders. The HHO mix lends intensity to the combustion, allowing the fuel to burn more completely, generating more oomph and less pollution.
The ICA system can technically work on any internal combustion engine, but to begin with, HyTech is targeting the dirtiest engines with the fastest return on investment, namely diesel engines — in vehicles like trucks, delivery vans, buses, and forklifts, but also big, stationary diesel generators, which still provide backup (and even primary) power by the millions across the world.
All those diesel engines produce carcinogenic smoke containing particulate pollution (soot) and nitrogen oxides (NOx), which are hell on human health. States and cities around the world are cracking down on diesel air pollution.
HyTech’s offer to that market is pretty remarkable: it claims that its ICA can improve the fuel efficiency of a diesel engine between 20 and 30 percent, reduce particulate matter by 85 percent, and reduce NOx by between 50 and 90 percent. In concert with a DPF and some SCR, it can yield a diesel engine that meets official California standards for an “ultra-low emissions” vehicle.
The cost of transforming a dirty diesel engine to a relatively clean one: around $10,000 installed, which HyTech estimates will pay itself back in nine months through avoided fuel and maintenance costs.

They have this hydrogen booster that looks promising, these have been around for years but this one is much more controlled and looks like it will work.
Every diesel truck owner will be wanting these and id say every new one will have one if this works as they say.

The next project they have looks even better to convert ICE vehicles 100% to hydrogen buy making its own hydrogen and adding to liquid, they say they have a prototype.. could be pie in the sky though it directors r pretty impressive.
If these work I'm might just have to eat my words on Hydrogen. They have bypassed all the problems with hydrogen now (high pressure and made from Fossil Fuels)
I guess just keep a eye on it
If it does work all these millions that the aussie government are spending on hydrogen gathering will be just another white elephant on a long list of them. :thumb
Bongalong... for some reason women are just so superior to anything that ever existed or will ever exist!
DonDeeHippy
Pitbull terrier

Postby HBS Guy » 11 Jun 2018, 13:29

Hydrogen, so this is about keeping the hydrogen furphy alive for another while?
Abbott & Co are going to cause the mother and father of all recessions—be prepared!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby DonDeeHippy » 11 Jun 2018, 17:36

:grn
ohh hell no look at oz pol ive started treads against hydrogen there, as a fuel cell its complex and inefficient and used by the fossil fuel companies to distract on renewables
http://www.ozpolitic.com/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1526879297/0#0
and silly jules thread.....
http://www.ozpolitic.com/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1527423123/69#69

it's said hydrogen is the fuel of the future
and always will be.

read the last line of my post.......

This is different the hydrogen is made in the vehicle and it gets injected with the diesel, making it burn hotter.
:thumb
DonDeeHippy
Pitbull terrier

Postby HBS Guy » 11 Jun 2018, 17:56

OK, I haven’t read the link yet. Energy efficiency needs to be pursued actively!
Abbott & Co are going to cause the mother and father of all recessions—be prepared!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 11 Jun 2018, 17:56

From ’Hippy’s link on the starship:

electric tag axle to provide regenerative braking and a boost up hills

So a least part of braking is to turn motion into electricity stored in a battery then draw on that battery going uphill (or maybe moving off from traffic lights?
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby MilesAway » 13 Jun 2018, 18:13

HBS Guy wrote:From ’Hippy’s link on the starship:

So a least part of braking is to turn motion into electricity stored in a battery then draw on that battery going uphill (or maybe moving off from traffic lights?

It's a (relatively) lost cause because you (not economically speaking of course,.. because that's obviously not just up to me to work that particular equation out!!) are taking mechanical energy to make chemical energy which is by definition a backward step... (hence the limit on returns will become apparent sooner rather than later)!!!

:OMG
MilesAway
Jaguar

Postby HBS Guy » 13 Jun 2018, 18:22

Regenerative braking is a GREAT way to expand the range of an electric vehicle!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby MilesAway » 13 Jun 2018, 18:33

HBS Guy wrote:Regenerative braking is a GREAT way to expand the range of an electric vehicle!

Does it not beckon for more....? How much braking does a semi do for starters?

etc....

To me this is small fry: batteries were not even looked at for the majority of the 20th century due to real politik so we are obviously still at a very very fundamental stage in my mind: climate change denial simply seeks to eek out the fossil fuel paradise a bit longer so those big companies when they are forced to change have the treasure chest to do it!

Go groupthink!

MilesAway
Jaguar

Postby HBS Guy » 13 Jun 2018, 18:45

A semi slows down in traffic, stops at intersections/traffic lights, decelerates going downhill.

Capture the kinetic energy, feed it back to the axle going uphill.

Electric vehicles use regenerative braking if they are good EVs!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby MilesAway » 13 Jun 2018, 18:55

HBS Guy wrote:A semi slows down in traffic, stops at intersections/traffic lights, decelerates going downhill.

Capture the kinetic energy, feed it back to the axle going uphill.

Electric vehicles use regenerative braking if they are good EVs!

Yay, it's all window dressing: most of it is country roads!

Not saying it's not progress just saying it's window dressing is all!
MilesAway
Jaguar

Postby MilesAway » 13 Jun 2018, 18:57

**** Stagnation is close to death etc.... are we going to hear about regenerative braking for the next 20 years?

If so then it's definitely not happening is what I'm saying bruther :grn
MilesAway
Jaguar

Postby DonDeeHippy » 14 Jun 2018, 05:55

Hey Miles do u actually know what regenerative braking is... sounds like u think its some extra brake u bolt on cars ?
do u know some magic way to store energy......
U say mechanical energy into chemical is a backward step. SO what is your idea of a forward step.......
DonDeeHippy
Pitbull terrier

Postby HBS Guy » 14 Jun 2018, 06:41

An electric motor can also be an electric generator. Just two sets of coils one can turn one can’t.

So, braking means the coils on that axle act as a generator. Making electricity requires work to be done, the trucks forward motion, and that slows as more electricity is made. The electricity can be stored in a battery. When the truck moves off from a traffic light the electric coils have electricity supplied from the battery making the coils a motor helping the truck move off or move uphill.

Normally braking means friction turning your cars motion into heat. Inefficient but that is an ICE vehicle. A big truck has a LOT of kinetic enery—KE = 1/2 m * v2

A loaded semi has a lot of mass and 100kph is no mean feat.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby DonDeeHippy » 14 Jun 2018, 07:39

yup just replace a lazy axel and whamo u have extra acceleration and braking without wearing down brake pads...excess heat and so on.
the battery could even be part of the diff I suppose.
That's basically what a Prius does and just about half the fuel needed for that size of a car..... :thumb
DonDeeHippy
Pitbull terrier

Postby HBS Guy » 14 Jun 2018, 08:03

When I had my shop I considered buying an electric bike. Never did, one model had small wheels, just the right size to get stuck in a pothole. Were bigger ones but I had lost interest. The one with the small wheels ran off a motorcycle battery, forgot how long they lasted. Might look into it when in settled in Tassie but, hell I am only a 10–12 minute walk from Town Centre and that is walking with the dog and looking at people’s gardens, having a chat etc. I don’t tend to buy much from supermarkets.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby MilesAway » 14 Jun 2018, 16:09

DonDeeHippy wrote:Hey Miles do u actually know what regenerative braking is... sounds like u think its some extra brake u bolt on cars ?
U say mechanical energy into chemical is a backward step. SO what is your idea of a forward step.......

Using an infinite source because all the backward steps in the world are negated!

Go solar!!

Of course that doesn't allow for blood for oil wars that make people very rich.
MilesAway
Jaguar

Postby DonDeeHippy » 16 Jun 2018, 09:27

MilesAway wrote:
DonDeeHippy wrote:Hey Miles do u actually know what regenerative braking is... sounds like u think its some extra brake u bolt on cars ?

Using an infinite source because all the backward steps in the world are negated!

Go solar!!

ok solar..... that's for making energy (a mechanical process), how about storing it...
so even having solar and recharging batteries is a mechanical energy converted to a chemical energy.......
so the question is what is better ?
and what is wrong with regenerative braking...... :thumb
DonDeeHippy
Pitbull terrier

Postby HBS Guy » 16 Jun 2018, 09:37

I saw Booby having an orgasm over that paper Lees found.

Oh he hopes I read it. Glanced at it, standard denier stuff.

I am tackling the ice age scammers on Twitter, lots of fun! Most are so fucking stupid! NONE have attempted to refute the 0.13–0.3°C cooling or how it destroys their scam. In fact few do anything but abuse me :bgrin
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby DonDeeHippy » 16 Jun 2018, 10:30

I haven't ventured into twitter yet....
DonDeeHippy
Pitbull terrier

Postby MilesAway » 16 Jun 2018, 12:54

DonDeeHippy wrote:
MilesAway wrote:

Go solar!!

ok solar..... that's for making energy (a mechanical process), how about storing it...
so even having solar and recharging batteries is a mechanical energy converted to a chemical energy.......
so the question is what is better ?
and what is wrong with regenerative braking...... :thumb

DID YOU FORGET :OMG :OMG THE BIT ABOUT :OMG :OMG :OMG :OMG :OMG AN INFINITE ENERGY SOURCE NEGATING ALL BACKWARD STEPS? :thumb

THAT WAS IN FACT THE ONLY POINT OF WHAT I SAID BUT SOMEHOW YOU CHOSE TO IGNORE IT BECAUSE YOU'RE A TOTAL CUNT!

:yak yak :yak yak :yak yak :yak yak :yak yak :bike :bike

:rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :c
MilesAway
Jaguar

Postby MilesAway » 16 Jun 2018, 12:55

DonDeeHippy wrote:I haven't ventured into twitter yet....

Yet you know everything! :rofl
MilesAway
Jaguar

Postby DonDeeHippy » 16 Jun 2018, 13:22

MilesAway wrote:

It's a (relatively) lost cause because you (not economically speaking of course,.. because that's obviously not just up to me to work that particular equation out!!) are taking mechanical energy to make chemical energy which is by definition a backward step... (hence the limit on returns will become apparent sooner rather than later)!!!

Limit of returns your a joke......... every time the brake is used it’s working.............
I guess it’s time to insult me to distract u have no idea what u r talking about
Go on drag do it......... :bgrin
DonDeeHippy
Pitbull terrier

Postby MilesAway » 16 Jun 2018, 13:54

DonDeeHippy wrote:
MilesAway wrote:

Limit of returns your a joke......... every time the brake is used it’s working.............
I guess it’s time to insult me to distract u have no idea what u r talking about
Go on drag do it......... :bgrin

You're all strawmen!

Everytime the brake is used it's working,... omg :tweed

:OMG :OMG :OMG :OMG :OMG :OMG :OMG :OMG :OMG :OMG :OMG :OMG :OMG :OMG :OMG :OMG :OMG :OMG :rofl
MilesAway
Jaguar

Return to Global Warming and Australian Energy Market