Food thread

For chatting about non-political topics.

Hot topic: The perils of exercise, Lapidary, food, gardening, brewing & Gallipoli/Anzac Day.

Special feature: WWIi Operation Manna/Chowhound.
Forum rules
The rules for this board are in the Charter of Moderation. Off Topic is for fairly serious discussion of things other than politics and current affair.

Re: Food thread

Postby HBS Guy » 03 Mar 2017, 21:50

Had sashimi today. Bought it not at the sushi stand at the Central Market but from Samtass fish shop. Also different—rather than the usual tuna & salmon it was kingfish and salmon. Bloody nice! Will definitely buy it again.

They also had already–made Thai fishcakes. Hmmm already had the menu for the weekend planned but the “cakes” looked very pale, like no red curry paste pale.

Nah, will keep making my own. Food processor does the real work anyway, eh?
Abbott & Co are going to cause the mother and father of all recessions—be prepared!
HBS Guy
Tender of the Mighty Mash Tun

Postby HBS Guy » 07 Mar 2017, 22:42

Well, bit of fun today!

Had a box of sauce tomatoes, of the slightly overripe type (a few moldy ones went into the Geddye bin) and hit a slight snag: tomato machine couldn’t be found! (Place is a chaotic mess as I am going through a lot of stuff to sort: comes to Tassie/garage sale/garbage/Op shop/Ebay etc.)

So washed the ’maters cut them up, chucked into my lovely 8L saucepan. Took a while, then took ages to boil it all so the ’maters were soft. Had pips and skins etc in it. Got out the moulie and started processing. Was easy, the tomato chunks were really soft and most was just liquid.

I had chucked in all the mint and coriander I had left from the weekend, 2tbsp tartaric acid and 2tbsp salt plus like half a tsp chili flakes.

Had a LOT of juice, spent an hour boiling that down.

Seven 500ml jars passata will be labelled and stowed away tomorrow.

Grapes—tartaric acid

Citrus—citric acid

Pome fruit—malic acid.

Malic and tartaric have the same formula but the atoms are arranged differently. Tartaric is very strong for an organic acid—I usually use citric acid but had used it all up. 1tsp citric to a 500ml jar passata makes it acid enough to be safe even after 2 years, need less than that of tartaric.
Abbott & Co are going to cause the mother and father of all recessions—be prepared!
HBS Guy

Postby HBS Guy » 08 Mar 2017, 17:53

Dinner at chez Monk will be at 6.21.

That is when the Dominos Pizza driver will deliver my order of greasy shit.

Ah well, first time this year.

Just could not be bothered cooking.
HBS Guy

Postby HBS Guy » 14 Mar 2017, 08:03

Got this from what passes for a “Food” board on OzPol:

http://www.taste.com.au/recipes/salmon-fishcakes-horseradish-lemon-kale/9e58d8e0-b911-4ea2-ad65-2cfa8abee1e3

Recipe has canned salmon in it. Fuck that, buy a salmon head or two and soup veg, make some stock, buy fresh salmon and poach it in the stock. Freeze the remainder of the stock. Much more better idea!

Looks alright to me. Trying to get Mum to eat more fish, keep the brain going and slow the dementia so will make these and the next weekend Thai fishcakes and as the weather gets colder fish soup, fish stew, plenty of variety. The kale part is good too—a leafy green. Hmmm need to buy a new wok, try some of the chinese fish recipes.

Dunno about the horseradish, how strong that will taste. Might try half the amount initially, add a nice zing and iff too strong or not strong enough change the amount next time.

Might buy another kingfish sashimi pack, that was nice (and is a bit more fish!)

Neferti actually sent me a nice PM on OzPol re Mum (one or two others have too on OzPol and other boards.) I replied in kind, of course.
HBS Guy

Postby HBS Guy » 19 Mar 2017, 20:00

Chicken vindaloo with persian pillau and pappadums.

B U U U U U U U R R R R R R R P P P P P P ! ! ! ! !
HBS Guy

Postby HBS Guy » 25 Mar 2017, 08:54

Just added pancetta-wrapped asparagus spears to the tomatoes dry roasting. Water for the poached eggs is nearly at the boil. Also added a couple big mushrooms. Yum!
HBS Guy

Postby HBS Guy » 25 Mar 2017, 10:24

The BEST way to cook asparagus:

Wrap the spears in pancetta (bacon might do but is thicker than panchetta) and pop into a hot oven for 15 minutes. Wonderful, asparagus is cooked but still crisp and goes very nicely with the pancetta!
HBS Guy

Postby HBS Guy » 01 Apr 2017, 08:09

Need to get started on breakfast soon: grilled tomato, pancetta, asparagus and mushroom and poached egg.

Might put smoked salmon pate on the bread, put the egg on top of that.

Won’t be hungry for a while after scoffing that!
HBS Guy

Postby HBS Guy » 01 Apr 2017, 09:12

Ok, tomatoes dry roasting in the oven, ’shrooms and asparagus and pancetta prepared ready to join them in 45 minutes time.
HBS Guy

Postby HBS Guy » 13 Apr 2017, 19:14

Hmmmmmm

Two chunks of raw fish. Kingfish and tuna. Kept mine as solid chunks wanting to slice it bit by bit. Hmmm need a VERY sharp smooth blade, both fish had strings of connective tissue. Would LOVE like a 250g piece of kingfish to myself and a nice sharp smoothbladed knife.

The fish shop did not have sashimi packs made up, hence the chunks of raw fish. I DID say to the guy that I wanted some of the finely julienned carrot and parsnip(?) but got none! Will whinge next week, come on, want the full sashimi experience! No bloody wasabi either COME ON need wasabi! So, made do with about 3 teaspoons of horseradish paste.

So gooooooooood! Yummmmmmmm!

Bit later, nice sourdough bread (bought :sad ) with smoked wagyu beef and duck terrine then some lovely fresh raspberries and whipped cream flavored (and slightly colored) with creme de cassis.
HBS Guy

Postby HBS Guy » 17 May 2017, 11:05

Preserved limes—better than the fresh ones!

Must be organic and wash them really really well several times!

Layer quartered limes and salt in a clean glass jar, press lid down to get some lime juice flowing. Stow away somewhere dark and cool.

After a month you can start using them: cut the flesh off and discard! Chop the rind and pith finely. Yup, use the pith don’t just take it :bgrin

http://www.bonappetit.com/test-kitchen/article/what-to-do-with-preserved-limes?mbid=social_twitter
HBS Guy

Postby HBS Guy » 29 May 2017, 12:55

Bought some 500ml jars at Gagagnis Bros on Friday. Next weekend—piccalilli making time.

I do have a couple tins of Keens Mustard powder but they are over 2 years old so I will ditch them and buy another 2 tins (need 60g for the piccalilli and a tin holds only 50g :grn

For veges:
Large cauli
carrot
fennel bulb
carrot
capsicum
beans
whatever looks good and is crisp at the Willunga Farmers Market.

Will prepare the spiced vinegar a day or two ahead of the weekend, strain it on Saturday.

Heh, I loved piccalilli as a kid, we had a bad jar (not off but a brand that was crap) and went off piccalilli until I started preserving/pickling and decided to give it a go. Yum!

Will add the 50g of flour to thicken it this time.
HBS Guy

Postby HBS Guy » 29 May 2017, 15:07

Will order a pigs head this week, makes the best stock for peasoup!
HBS Guy

Postby HBS Guy » 03 Jun 2017, 15:01

When I can motivate myself to go to the FREEZING COLD kitchen I will start cutting up and salting veges for piccalilli.
HBS Guy

Postby HBS Guy » 04 Jun 2017, 19:41

4 jars piccalilli in the waterbath! Yeah!

Mind you, not THAT happy with the recipe (from PreserveIt!) think it is a bit basic.

Was also rather late to Willunga Farmers Market yesterday, missed out on a couple ingredients.

It has a bit of a kick: added a serano chili incl seeds and membranes. Wowser!

Back to Willunga this week, bit earlier! Can’t have too much piccalilli!
HBS Guy

Postby Lefty » 05 Jun 2017, 05:45

Picallili is damn fine alongside cold meats! It was one of the few staples from my grandparents generation that actually tasted good :bgrin They lived on pioneer food and loved it....because they knew nothing else! God I'm glad that Australians culinary awareness began to expand markedly from the time I was young.
Lefty
Bengal Tiger

Postby HBS Guy » 05 Jun 2017, 11:46

Yeah, piccalilli is actually an Indian pickle :bgrin

I am not 100% happy with this batch so will make more next week. Nice to have plenty of piccalilli on hand anyway. The next batch will be from the River Cottage Preserves Handbook—I did a search here and found that was a batch I made and liked in the past.

Bit of chili should be in the piccalilli :huh :WTF :OMG :grn

Reckon I will make a batch of mushroom ketchup and one of red onion marmalade. Yeah!
HBS Guy

Postby HBS Guy » 06 Jun 2017, 13:27

Was looking on Amazon for a book on coffee.

I have various ways of making coffee:

1. A Dutch drip pot (has a stone dripolator, no coffee filter papers needed.)

2. A plunger type filter

3. An espresso machine

All have benefits. The machine makes nice coffee but only two smallish cups. The plunger filter allows me to make a coffee pot full of coffee. I don’t use the Dutch drip pot anymore, doubt many people do. It does make good coffee but is a bit of a tedious chore.

I found a book that sort of did, placed an order—was told couldn’t be delivered to my address!!! WTF?

Anyway, Amazon’s loss, found a website will do me:

http://guide2coffee.com/styles-of-coffee/

Signed up for email updates.

I am more a tea than a coffee drinker but do like coffee.

No idea why Amazon could not ship a book to me tho. :huh
HBS Guy

Postby HBS Guy » 07 Jun 2017, 17:05

Just back from a superb lunch at d'Arenberg verandah restaurant in the grounds of the d'Arenberg winery.

For main course I chose an entrée, a bone marrow and miso broth with wasabi tartare beef and some shaved veges—all tasted like cucumber so there you go—and fried spring onion. So after an interval of like 65 years I have had two serves of beef tartare within a fortnight!

The broth came in its own little carafe else the tartare would be hamburgher! Doubt they preheated the carafe, the broth wasn’t hot at all, tepid really. Tasted nice but spoiled by the dish being tepid not warm or hot. Maybe don’t mix beef tartare and broth?

A glass of d'Arenberg Dry Dam 2010 riesling went down very nicely with this course.

Then desert. Hmmm I chose the passionfruit souffle with pouring cream. Right choice! Nice delicate passionfruit flavor and the passionfruit gave some nice gentle acidity to balance the richness and sweetness of the dish. A glass of d'Arenberg Noble Wrinkled (botrytis, obviously) Riesling the perfect accompaniment being likewise sweet and rich but with a nice gentle acidity to balance that. Flavor o

Didn’t order coffee, left with the taste of that wonderful desert and desert wine in my mouth. $70 for my meal.

There is an eight course degustation menu for $95 (+ optional extras + wines) that I would love to try some time.
HBS Guy

Postby HBS Guy » 11 Jun 2017, 17:01

Puy Lentils tonight (anyone remember Neil from The Young Ones?) with camel and emu sausages.

Recipe here: http://www.deliciousmagazine.co.uk/recipes/braised-puy-lentils/
HBS Guy

Postby HBS Guy » 11 Jun 2017, 20:25

Lentils were fine, sausages were great!
HBS Guy

Postby HBS Guy » 14 Jun 2017, 19:32

Smoked some fucking ribs today, oh yeah! Used some old prunings from a peach or apricot tree.

Thought I would try a couple things. So chopped a heap of rosemary needles and a clove garlic, smeared that on half the ribs. For the other half I put half a cup of a rather runny marmalade (one of my own) with a heaped desertspoon ground ginger and some chili flakes. Hmmmm the odd orangy flash in the mouth, nice spicy hit.

Bloody good tho I say it myself.

Also had a piece of corned beef. Slathered some soya sauce over it, sprinkled some more chili flakes. Have that tomorrow. Reckon I might cut a thin slice and put that on a slice of bread for brekky tomorrow. Will let you know :bgrin
HBS Guy

Postby HBS Guy » 15 Jun 2017, 22:17

Felt like getting back into making sourdough bread.

Have a starter going since Monday. Had a look a little earlier—definite rise in volume in the jar! Doubled in fact!

So tomorrow scoop and throw away half the starter, feed again with flour and water. People talking about using pineapple juice are fuckwits apparently :bgrin

Need to find or buy some muslin: while the starter is out the fridge don’t put a lid on it, cover with muslin (has a teatowel over it now) fixed in place with a ’leccy band. This allows yeasts to get into the starter. Only a few yeasts can survive the sour/low pH conditions in a starter so no problems with undesirable wild yeast. Might capture an Adelaide flavor yet, like San Francisco is supposed to have! :OMG

Will keep feeding the starter another week, then tip into the kenwood and whisk the shit out of it for 10 minutes, get some oxy into the starter. Maybe next month bake some bread.
HBS Guy

Postby HBS Guy » 15 Jun 2017, 23:59

For fun been looking at YouTubes on how to make a sourdough starter.

This one is funny as hell:

He looks to be doing it right except he is using white flour! White flour is likely bleached and anyway wholemeal flour gives you quicker and better results with the starter. Stone ground flour is wholemeal and is THE flour to use for breadmaking.

You need strong white flour, not plain flour which is lower in gluten and of more use in cakes and pastry. Just get a kilo wholemeal.

Another YouTube (sorry, forgot which one) said you need to feed your starter for like 6 weeks before it is really strong enough which makes creating a starter expensive. I am not that purist, I will split and feed but sometime early next month will buy a new bag wholemeal flour. What is left in the old bag in the fridge can go to feeding the starter, not much use for anything else.

I will also make more work for myself by splitting the starter and keep one going with wholemeal wheat flour while the other one I will start feeding with rye flour and that will turn, with splitting and feeding every day, into a straight rye sourdough starter. Better lable the fucking jars, eh? :jump

Will also start reading the Ken Forkish book on bread again. Want to nail sourdough bread making. If my fucking oven keeps misbehaving I will get a portable gas fired pizza one from Bunnings and bake the sourdough in that. Wholemeal and rye sourdough doesn’t rise like pansy white bread does, horrible fluffy shit, yuck!
HBS Guy

Postby HBS Guy » 16 Jun 2017, 01:29

I think I ordered a pig head last week. Better pop into the market tomorrow and pick it up!
HBS Guy

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic