Third rollout of NBN or Helping Murdoch

A subforum for discussing the NBN: what it was, the tragedy of the NBN and how the original vision can be brought to life if different in detail.
Forum rules
Please keep discussion civil and focussed on the NBN.

Re: Third rollout of NBN or Helping Murdoch

Postby HBS Guy » 23 Jul 2014, 07:47

NBN: Nothing, But Nothing is happening
Summary: You know the NBN is dead when not even the FttN haters bother to shellac Malcolm Turnbull's blogs. As Telstra reasserts control over the NBN and the Coalition government flounders, can we actually expect anything from the NBN anymore?

They can’t even get their “reports” in on time:
For sheer entertainment value, then, the NBN will likely continue to offer its highlights – especially as we close in on 2015 without a completed cost-benefit analysis (CBA); new reports suggest it will land in August but I doubt many are holding their breaths). The outcome of that CBA will then inform the rewritten NBN Co Corporate Plan, which in turn will also reflect the outcome of NBN Co's renegotiations with Telstra.

Of course, Truffles has already given the go ahead for the FTTN/HFC rubbish without having his vaunted and useless CBA.

Sheer incompetence by Truffles, the shambles and the cronies on the NBN board means:
The outcome of that CBA will then inform the rewritten NBN Co Corporate Plan, which in turn will also reflect the outcome of NBN Co's renegotiations with Telstra.

You do remember those renegotiations, right? Yes, the ones that Malcolm Turnbull said over a year ago (in a fit of pre-election optimism that now rings more like laughable naiveté) would be completed with “slight adjustments” to the current contract.

The Coalition was elected on a promise of kicking the NBN into gear, but all Turnbull has accomplished so far is to hogtie a slowly-improving fibre rollout and tape a 'kick me' sign to the company's back.

Rather than completing the negotiations quickly, the government has struggled to assert itself at the negotiating table, putting the NBN rollout schedule so far behind that it's not even worth seriously contemplating a real completion date.

That lack of “a real completion date” makes a mockery of what was an already clearly made-up “Strategic Review.” And difficulties there are aplenty, to do with the huge nodes in the FTTN outdated garbage (not going to work over rotten and too–thin Telstra copper, new electrical skills need to be learned (and TAFE has been all but destroyed by greedy LNP state governments. Just forget FTTN—real game is the HFC crap which will benefit Murdoch directly, all the new cables being run for his FoxTel at taxpayer expense. :WTF
http://www.zdnet.com/fttn-cabinets-skil ... 000023753/

Sorry, folks, but that's not going to happen and everybody seems to know it but Turnbull. Everything that's going on around the NBN now seems tailor-made less to stimulate the telecommunications industry into a flurry of investment and optimism, and more to play into Telstra's hands by further entrenching the company's dominance over the telecommunications services we all rely on every day.

The greatest indication that the NBN as we know it is dead lies not in Turnbull's predictable number fudging, but at the end of that blog – where there are exactly zero comments about his argument. For a blog that used to be regularly inundated with comments from Australians angry about Turnbull's broadband plan, that's a frightening sign that those same Australians simply do not care anymore.

So we slip, rather ruefully, back into our quiet shells and watch one country after another pass Australia on broadband rankings (kudos to iiNet for its painful-to-watch-because-it's-so-true Slovakia ad).

Yet perhaps the greatest indication that the NBN as we know it is dead lies not in Turnbull's predictable number fudging, but at the end of that blog – where there are exactly zero comments about his argument.

For a blog that used to be regularly inundated with comments from Australians angry about Turnbull's broadband plan, that's a frightening sign that those same Australians simply do not care anymore. They hold no optimism for the new government's NBN and just don't have any more emotional energy to invest in the discussion.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby Austranger » 23 Jul 2014, 13:16

Basically it's been dumped in the too hard basket, indulging the status quo is the easiest option for that shambles.
They aren't monkeys, they're flamin' lemurs!
A Zen master once said to me, "Do the opposite of whatever I tell you." So I didn't.
Any day with a smile in it is a good day
Austranger
mountain lion

spamone: Animal

Postby HBS Guy » 23 Jul 2014, 15:41

protolemurs at that! Not quite primates!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 24 Jul 2014, 11:10

http://www.zdnet.com/fttn-cabinets-skil ... 000023753/

In comments (read the comments even if you don’t read the main article) comes the information that the electronics in FTTN cabinets HAS TO BE REPLACED EVERY 8 YEARS!

While FTTN cabinets need 8 to 10 car size batteries, battery charger, air con and heaps of modems and all of it will need replacing every 8 years.

(comment)

I wonder if this little fact is in the so–called Strategic Review? Will it be in the CBA? Hmmmm.

Re NBN Co renting the Telstra crap copper another commenter writes:
As to the copper?
Leave the copper in the ground as was decided under the FTTP - its a mess.
I worked on the Telstra CAN prior to NBNCo and the national fibre plan - the people that entered our industry in the last 1-2 years to ride on the NBNCo government contract have very little to zero copper experience or training. Training the current fibre-designers/builders to go back to copper is an enormous task.

For NBN to take control of Telstra's CAN and manage it has got to be a cruel joke no? Telstra has a hard enough time managing it and they own it, built it and know it's history. For NBN to even attempt this would be corporate suicide and a stain on Australia's name as we become the point of reference for how NOT to do things.

(This guy claims—no reason to doubt him—to have worked on the copper CAN and for NBN Co on FTTH, gives his comments some weight.)
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 26 Jul 2014, 21:26

First Vertigan Committee report:

http://www.businessspectator.com.au/art ... er-telstra

(haven’t looked at it yet)
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 29 Jul 2014, 19:37

NBN Co to start rolling out FTTB in September.

http://www.itnews.com.au/News/390390,nb ... areas.aspx

The comments are great:
1. Paul Krueger • 14 hours ago
Isn't this the opposite of the governments pledge to target black-spots 1st?

2. Frank Grant • 21 hours ago
Looks like the digital divide just got worse with "located in high value, high density inner city areas" receiving FTTP while the rest get Multi something.

3. Francis Young • 11 hours ago
If the slippage in Bill Morrow's schedule in this first element of the Malcolm Turnbull Muddle (MTM) is indicative, then the project will take years, say, until 2024.

In that case, a reworking of the government's December 2013 comparison of technologies will show FTTP cheaper, not dearer, than the MTM, because they cannot exclude the far higher FTTP revenues in the 2021-24 years, which was their trick used to make MTM option palatable to bean counters.

Plenty more.

Also:
http://www.itwire.com/it-industry-news/ ... b-40803513

http://www.zdnet.com/nbn-co-commercial- ... 000032028/
(some doozies of comments on ZDNet as well—these guys know their networking and Telstra wires!)
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby Austranger » 30 Jul 2014, 09:58

What a wasted opportunity for our pollies to invest in our future!
If they'd only give up their vested interest debacle and hand the whole job to Sth Korea we'd have a brilliant system rolled out and running within a couple of years, and as a rule I'm against out-sourcing.
What a flamin' shambles this has become!
A Zen master once said to me, "Do the opposite of whatever I tell you." So I didn't.
Austranger
mountain lion

Postby HBS Guy » 30 Jul 2014, 11:24

Yup, always some teething problems. NBN Co also ran out thousands of Kms of backhaul before the rollout started.

There has also been sabotage:

1. Vic Premier making the NBN “opt in” delaying the take up esp in rented houses

2. Barry O’Farrell negotiating for 18 months for access by NBN Co to some power poles. I suspect some Lib sympathiser in NBN Co kept that going. In the end, with a sarcy email from me, NBN Co told Barry they were using the poles and he was just getting the low statutory compensation rate.

3. Telstra delaying negotiations, delaying action on removing asbestos from pits. Self interest at work there.

4. You have to wonder what other sabotage/go slow tricks were pulled by LNP sympathisers in NBN Co.

Despite all that, the rollout was accelerating until Turncoat’s cronies took control and deliberately slowed the rollout to make Malcolm’s Terrible Muddle look good. (The other NBN thread has Hansard of Senate committee meetings where Conroy and Ludlam tore apart the Strategic Review and revealed the sleights of hand it used to make the mongrel NBN look better than the real NBN.

When Labor gets back into power in 2016 it needs to award contractors slabs of work, not itty bitty pieces and have some tough managers in place to overcome sabotage/slow downs and a junior NBN Minister to keep NBN Co board and management up to speed!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 05 Aug 2014, 17:17

Apparently some academic doing yet another meaningless review for good mate Turncoat found the NBN Rollout “rushed and chaotic” and I am not even going to bother posting a link about it.

I suppose the present rollout after 1 year one shambolic FTTN trial costing $150m is being rolled out and NBN Co is rushing to roll out FTTB and HFC crap hasn’t even been started on as smooth well planned etc?

Academic called for every govt project over $1Bn to have a mandatory CBA—even tho really long term stuff a CBA is pointless.

Oh well, as long as Turncoat keeps stuffing things up and is having his waste of time reviews means less for Labor to undo in 2016 and an easier resumption of the rollout, incorporating lessons learned.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 05 Aug 2014, 21:46

Wow! David Braue fires a broadside at Turnbull:

http://www.zdnet.com/turnbull-ignores-l ... 000032317/

Man, do read it and do read the comments, bound to be zingers!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby Austranger » 06 Aug 2014, 12:03

Are we never to see the end of the last election?
Labor lost it, it's OVER, why can't the Librats stop trying to win it?
I'd really love to know how much money they've spent harassing and "investigating" labor, and precisely what they think they've achieved thereby?

When it comes to the NBN, the Liberals have certainly.."bought a Jeep"!

Austranger
mountain lion

Postby HBS Guy » 06 Aug 2014, 12:10

Several million dollars so far:

1. $8m NBN Strategic Review, even that couldn’t make FTTH look bad

2. More $m transferred from RC into Child Abuse to the union Show Trial

3. RC into Pink Batts—WTF has happened to that?

4. Now all Depts have to search records for contact with unions $xm

And a lot more probably.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 07 Aug 2014, 14:21

Some info about HFC at last. Fucking shambles the whole thing and if Labor’s roll out was a shambles at least it was running out something worthwhile and it was a shambles, if it was, due to sabotage within and without NBN Co by LNP saboteurs. Saboteurs like Barry O’Farrel, negotiating for 18 months re access to power poles and I am sure lots of individuals in NBN Co happy to sit and do nothing and then we had Telstra doing its utmost to delay the project so a LNP govt would buy its rotten copper CAN!

http://www.zdnet.com/au/nbn-co-scopes-h ... 000032357/
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby Austranger » 07 Aug 2014, 15:09

I'm not generally in favour of outsourcing but in this instance we should have.
Given the political b/s and incompetence, along with the lack of good management in Oz we'd have been better served just to hand the entire contract to an international, Koreans perhaps, in the long run that would have been cheaper and a damn lot faster!
Austranger
mountain lion

Postby HBS Guy » 07 Aug 2014, 17:21

They would have faced same sabotage/go slows from LNP state & local govts and Telstra etc.

Roll out was picking up speed, 12K homes per week, now just 3K homes a week.

I am still confident FTTH will be rolled out (outside FTTB/HFC) as 4KTV is reaching takeoff point and it needs so much data that FTA/Blueray are inadequate.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 22 Aug 2014, 09:56

How cute, a Tweet from Turncoat about first few customers of FTTN trial getting 100:30.

Must be new, thick copper and 1-2 users per node. Absolute top speed, will only decline with age as copper corrodes.

New ZDNet article “iiNet furious at slow FTTH rollout” well, did you vote for the Libs last Sep?

http://www.zdnet.com/au/iinet-furious-w ... 000032812/

Brilliant comments, as always.

Points iiNet made tho show:
1. FTTH is wanted

2. FTTH generates more ARPU

3. No need for PPL with FTTH allowing new parents to work from home a lot more!

4. Too much money going to Telstra
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 28 Aug 2014, 06:36

This will make you laugh, even GFast gets a mention:

http://www.theguardian.com/world/video/ ... oard-video
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 01 Sep 2014, 13:38

HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 01 Sep 2014, 20:33

Got the number of Likes of the Friends of the NBN page up to 405. Looking for 500 by end Sep.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 03 Sep 2014, 16:35

A look at the stupid CBA:

The argument for the unjustifiably low figures in Section 2.2 comes crashing back to earth when the authors attempt to brush off published research that disagrees with their assessment.

“The figures of 15 Mbps and 43 Mbps for median and top 5 per cent of demand may seem low, particularly by comparison to the results of some other research in this area. However, the most common type of household comprises just two people. Even if those two are each watching their own HDTV stream, each surfing the web and each having a video call all simultaneously, then [in part thanks to the impact of improving video compression] the total bandwidth [in 2023] for this somewhat extreme use case for that household is just over 14 Mbps. “

By 2023, HDTV will be old technology, video calls will be HD quality or higher and video compression may do nothing more than normalise the rate of increase in bandwidth requirement for whatever is the most common streaming format will be for the time. That could be 16K or 4K with 3D and might also include multi-screen capability.

If anything, the bandwidth estimates provided in the CBA, if taken on face value, should be a cause for alarm.

It was anticipated that the 2013 report by Ericsson, Chalmers and Arthur Little titled Analyzing the Effect of Broadband on GDP would have found its way into the reference list. Possibly this study was not included because if found that increased broadband speeds would have a substantial effect on GDP? The Ericsson report concludes that “doubling broadband speeds for an economy can add 0.3 percent to GDP growth”. The CBA assumes a figure that is substantially lower than that identified in the Ericsson report.

http://www.businessspectator.com.au/art ... t-tell-you
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 09 Sep 2014, 10:27

More hot air from the Minister for Reviews that tell him what he wants to hear:

Communications Minister Malcolm Turnbull has said that although his approach to the National Broadband Network has mitigated much of the risk associated with a project of its size, there is no guarantee the project will succeed.”
How would you know you have mitigated the risk, Turncoat? All you have are expensive reports that only tell you what you wanted to hear! Not only that, both the Strategic (ha!) Review and the joke of a CBA say FTTH is possible. FTTH also yields the most benefits!
He dribbles on:

Whether you analyse it financially, or whether you do the economic cost-benefit analysis, we're confident we've got the strategy right," he said.

No, both say FTTH better and costing little more than Malcolm’s Terrible Muddle and that is BEFORE the cost of acquiring, auditing and remediating Telstra’s crap, too–thin copper is added in. Basing his MTM crap on the reports so far, without the costs of the copper & HFC is negligence. This is all party–political stuff, not true economic consideration and is going to see a sea of red ink all of it taxpayers money!

A sea of dribble towards the end of the article, a doozy:
He said the government was looking to move beyond talking about the technology delivering the faster broadband, and what applications could use faster broadband speeds, highlighting a change after the election that expanded telehealth trials commissioned by the previous government for the NBN, to other technologies.
The previous government had some grants to promote e-health activities using broadband. But they had a condition that they could only be conducted on the NBN. The problem was, there wasn't enough of it built to be able to do it," he said.

"When we got in I said 'Well, you know, the contract has been left, e-health is very important, by and large it doesn't require a lot of bandwidth, let's just change the rules so people can do it whether it is on wireless, or ADSL, or HFC.' Who cares? The objective is to get people to use technology to keep Australians healthier.
"Surely that's the objective, rather than trying to promote a political project.”

Firstly—the speeds will be marginally faster at most. For really high bandwidth over copper all new copper has to be run out, of .6mm dia or bigger, giving every household premises 4 bonded pairs when ATM the average is <1 pair due to pair gain etc.

As I have said many times, using copper for FTTN leaves all the problems of the copper in place. For stuff like tele health (or other monitoring) you need RELIABILITY! Not only that, telehealth is only of much use if high–definition (1080 video or even 4K video) video calls can be made to the health professional so he can see the body language, complexion (flushed face or not) and size of sores (important in diabetes) and FTTN just collapses in a heap. If it rains mobile and xDSL broadband become very unreliable (I was on NextG for 3 years,, reboot city when it rains! Now ADSL slows down whenever there was a fair bit of rain.)

And Fraudband is a political project, no one sane would base anything on Telstra copper FFS!

http://www.zdnet.com/au/no-guarantees-o ... 000033338/
Oh—the comments are real doozies!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 19 Sep 2014, 09:48

Turnbull spinning and bullshitting:
http://www.zdnet.com/turnbull-reflects- ... 000033807/

Getting harder to do after the Melton rollout showed the greatly reduced time and cost of rolling out fibre.

I cannot grasp how any government, not even a totally incompetent, neoconservative shambles like we have now, can put party–politics ahead of the future of the country. Just don’t understand!

And Turncoat is building such a hugely negative legacy for himself—why?
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 26 Sep 2014, 21:58

Talking to Lucas in the tip about the NBN. We are supposed to use wifi to connect from the node to the user. EM spectrum, affected by weather, limited in spectrum, limited in bandwidth. Suitable to single buildings etc. Nah, need fibre for true bandwidth and reliability!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 28 Sep 2014, 12:12

Been a bit slack on updating this topic. Updates are here: https://www.facebook.com/FriendsOfTheNa ... andNetwork

Will extract a digit soon, I promise.

There is some really good info on my FB page, worth having a look (and Like my page as well please!) :bgrin
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 30 Sep 2014, 19:47

NBN engaging in some bullshit spin

http://www.zdnet.com/nbn-co-says-poweri ... 000034130/

Yeah, powering the nodes costs $120m per year. Yes, the expense is less than the capital cost of a FTTH rollout. So bloody what? Cost of installing power to the nodes? More than $120m I bet.

60K nodes, not really enough, let that slide—I still doubt FTTN will happen in a big way. Power use per node:
The average power consumption per node would be 6,709kWh per annum, NBN Co said. The batteries to power the nodes in the event of a power outage will cost AU$3,000 per node. Each battery has a life of 15 years, and can run VDSL with vectoring for up to six hours in the event of a power outage for 192 premises, NBN Co said.

6709KWh per annum, wonder if that includes airconditioning? And forget 15 year battery life, 5 is more likely and removing/installing batteries has a cost higher than just the cost of the battery. (see the comments on the ZD Net article.)

I wonder if the power use is based on overseas experience? With thin Telstra copper there is higher impedance so more power needed so more heat in the node—and if based on UK experience, well, they don’t really need to use much airconditioning there, do they? 30°C is a HEATWAVE, man!

The most interesting question tho—why did NBN Co feel the need to publish this spin? Are they under some pressure we don’t know about?
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

PreviousNext

Return to Friends of the NBN