Is the corona-virus really "an epidemic"?

Discuss politics and current affairs here.

Hot topic: The scourge of negative gearing, Friends of the NBN and wrecking lives.  The economy and Poll tracking— all the polls.

Special Feature 1: Peter Costello and our current deficits.
Special Feature 2: Dr Turnbull and the wrong NBN prescription
Special Feature 3: The Denigration of science, technology and education.
Forum rules
The rules for this board are in the Charter of Moderation. Politics is for serious discussion of politics, economics and current affairs.

Re: Is the corona-virus really "an epidemic"?

Postby Bongalong » 04 Feb 2020, 17:15

Chuck wrote:
mothra wrote:Firstly Chuck, there are plenty of viruses in India. There are different types of viruses, y'know. This one is not spectacular in making the leap from animals and the incidence of collecting animals in confined spaces increases the liklihood of zoogenic viral combination but not all viruses start that way.

And not all nasty, scary ones either.

So you've really just stated the bleeding obvious and made out like you're clever. We'd noticed that this one came from animals and that having animals was an important step. Thanks. India has plenty of animals, by the way. And animal born disease.

As to it being a bio-weapon. Get your hand off it. You're being preposterous.
U chosen to make fun of the term viruses!

Anyone, with commonsense knows that viruses exist all over the world but the question I posed, "why do the scary ones predominantly come out of China; why the delay in warning the rest of the world and refusing to supply a copy".

These are simply valid questions and nothing to do with being a smart-arse!

I thought of India, simply because of the following consideration, population numbers, closeness or cramped living conditions, and environmental cleanness between them.

What some posters area forgetting, with the Ebola outbreak, the virus was contained because the majority of Africans in the infected areas couldn’t afford to travel.

The difference is that the Chinese population are like the swarm of locusts that is currently plaguing Africa. The concern is that they have the ability to spread this virus thru out the globe with them being able to afford to travel.

Within mainland China, townships, villages and cities streets are being barricading themselves in, to keep out people from different suburbs as part of their contamination control. - ABC and SBS news.

Maybe, the local approach is the correct way because economic interests come before people’s health in many Western countries.

You always walk both sides of the street :OMG
"Oi!"
Bongalong
Warthog

spamone: Animal

Postby Lols » 04 Feb 2020, 18:27

Bongalong wrote:
Lols wrote:This is a new unseen virus, and no one knows how it will react. It could still be infective from people that have recovered, so there are still question marks about this particular virus.
This video is a must see, only 16 minutes long, but at around 12 minutes talks about the infectiveness.

https://youtu.be/P_3hNPTofEU

Are you a spreader of panic: that be the question :jump

And the answer is, no, just passing on important information. Otherwise ignorance is bliss! We are all good pilots... in fair weather.
But you and I will be okay, because it only happens to other people. Right? :gsp
Did you watch the video? That be a question. Actually, that was 2 questions.

“All truth passes through three stages
First, it is ridiculed.
Second, it is violently opposed.
Third, it is accepted as being self-evident.”
~Arthur Schopenhauer
"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themsleves and wiser people so full of doubts" ~ Bertrand Russell
Lols
Irish wolfhound

Postby Chuck » 04 Feb 2020, 21:34

Bongalong wrote:
Chuck wrote:
mothra wrote:Firstly Chuck, there are plenty of viruses in India. There are different types of viruses, y'know. This one is not spectacular in making the leap from animals and the incidence of collecting animals in confined spaces increases the liklihood of zoogenic viral combination but not all viruses start that way.

And not all nasty, scary ones either.

So you've really just stated the bleeding obvious and made out like you're clever. We'd noticed that this one came from animals and that having animals was an important step. Thanks. India has plenty of animals, by the way. And animal born disease.

As to it being a bio-weapon. Get your hand off it. You're being preposterous.
U chosen to make fun of the term viruses!

Anyone, with commonsense knows that viruses exist all over the world but the question I posed, "why do the scary ones predominantly come out of China; why the delay in warning the rest of the world and refusing to supply a copy".

These are simply valid questions and nothing to do with being a smart-arse!

I thought of India, simply because of the following consideration, population numbers, closeness or cramped living conditions, and environmental cleanness between them.

What some posters area forgetting, with the Ebola outbreak, the virus was contained because the majority of Africans in the infected areas couldn’t afford to travel.

The difference is that the Chinese population are like the swarm of locusts that is currently plaguing Africa. The concern is that they have the ability to spread this virus thru out the globe with them being able to afford to travel.

Within mainland China, townships, villages and cities streets are being barricading themselves in, to keep out people from different suburbs as part of their contamination control. - ABC and SBS news.

Maybe, the local approach is the correct way because economic interests come before people’s health in many Western countries.

You always walk both sides of the street :OMG
Nyet, for the leftist dribblers!

U are simply trying to be ignorant of the possible outcomes. With mainland Chinese travelling the world, it’s should be upgrade to "probable" instead of "possible."' by DFAT.

Only Aussie citizens should be repatriated back to Australia, not permanent residence!

It should be message to them, "stiff Shit" if u not proud to be an Aussie
Chuck
mountain lion

Postby Chuck » 04 Feb 2020, 22:31

Simply can’t comprehend the logic of some people on this site.

A layman's logic is that if a certain group is suspected of having the ability to infected people, especially those who can afford to travel the world in large numbers. The probability of infecting other people is greatly enhanced.

The responses so far, confirms that people that believe that their intellect is above the average person are truely deceiving themselves?

Pls take into account the time of my post and my possible inebriate state? :c :c :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl
Chuck
mountain lion

Postby Lols » 05 Feb 2020, 18:09

Chuck wrote:Simply can’t comprehend the logic of some people on this site.

A layman's logic is that if a certain group is suspected of having the ability to infected people, especially those who can afford to travel the world in large numbers. The probability of infecting other people is greatly enhanced.

The responses so far, confirms that people that believe that their intellect is above the average person are truely deceiving themselves?

Pls take into account the time of my post and my possible inebriate state? :c :c :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl

Gee Chuck, are you okay then? Or just sleeping it off :PC
"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themsleves and wiser people so full of doubts" ~ Bertrand Russell
Lols
Irish wolfhound

Postby pinkeye » 06 Feb 2020, 00:22

No
he is consumed by his conspiracy theory.

He's doubtless exhaustipated..!!

( that's a word I made up years ago, but can't recall using before in writing.) :bgrin :bgrin :bgrin :bgrin
sleeping is good for you
pinkeye
Warthog

Postby Bongalong » 06 Feb 2020, 08:11

pinkeye wrote:No

( that's a word I made up years ago, but can't recall using before in writing.) :bgrin :bgrin :bgrin :bgrin

Nice word :bgrin
"Oi!"
Bongalong
Warthog

Postby Chuck » 06 Feb 2020, 11:09

pinkeye wrote:No

I only use conspiracy or controversial headings or comments to prick posters interest - were's that bloody fishing emoji that works on this site- and pose valid questions to some interesting points that others may have not taken into consideration.

So far, there seems to be a lack of lateral thinking on these questions from our fellow posters, simply reiterating the rhetorics from our politicians and heads of medical representatives for each government levels

Multiple scary virus, predominantly coming out of China compared to India's Chikungunya.

China's slow response in informing the world of a suspicious Sar's like outbreak and the reluctance to supply a copy of virus to other countries including the WHO. Thus losing valuable time in searching for a vaccine!

When it comes to the speed of global spread, compared to the spread of the Ebola outbreak out off Africa.
it was simply poverty that acted as the containment line for the Ebola, allowing assistance to come into a concentrated area.
Thus limiting the spread and speed to other countries!

The following is intentional Chuckies conspiracy theory's.

Taking into consideration China's past history as being an isolated poor country, that refused to allow its citizens the right to travel abroad.

Did they previously have, unheard epidemics outbreaks that the rest off the world weren’t aware off, and simply dealt with these epidemics internally?

OR
What the world believed was past deaths in China by revolution or purging actually was an epidemic. :OMG :huh :OMG

This could be the answer in dealing with a nation that has a poor reputation as a global citizen, by making it poor once again.
It appears that Trumpy might on the right track!

Don’t what to hear the counter arguments that it will make us poorer etc.
Chuck
mountain lion

Postby Lols » 07 Feb 2020, 17:51

Have the USA aided China in any way? Sending masks for instance?

Indonesia have no coronavirus cases?

I have just heard a new born baby now has the virus.
Lols
Irish wolfhound

Postby Chuck » 07 Feb 2020, 20:13

Creator Of US BioWeapons Act Says Coronavirus Is A Bio Weapon. Published on February 4, 2020

In an explosive interview Dr. Francis Boyle, who drafted the Biological Weapons Act has given a detailed statement admitting that the 2019 Wuhan Coronavirus is an offensive Biological Warfare Weapon and that the World Health Organization (WHO) already knows about it.

Francis Boyle is a professor of international law at the University of Illinois College of Law. He drafted the U.S. domestic implementing legislation for the Biological Weapons Convention, known as the Biological Weapons Anti-Terrorism Act of 1989, that was approved unanimously by both Houses of the U.S. Congress and signed into law by President George H.W. Bush.

In an exclusive interview given to Geopolitics and Empire, Dr. Boyle discusses the coronavirus outbreak in Wuhan, China and the Biosafety Level 4 laboratory (BSL-4) from which he believes the infectious disease escaped. He believes the virus is potentially lethal and an offensive biological warfare weapon or dual-use biowarfare weapons agent genetically modified with gain of function properties, which is why the Chinese government originally tried to cover it up and is now taking drastic measures to contain it. The Wuhan BSL-4 lab is also a specially designated World Health Organization (WHO) research lab and Dr. Boyle contends that the WHO knows full well what is occurring.

Dr. Boyle also touches upon a report on Coronavirus Bioweapon – where reported in detail how Chinese Biowarfare agents working at the Canadian lab in Winnipeg were involved in the smuggling of Coronavirus to Wuhan’s lab from where it is believed to have been leaked.

Dr. Boyle’s position is in stark contrast to the mainstream media’s narrative of the virus being originated from the seafood market, which is increasingly being questioned by many experts.

Recently, American Senator Tom Cotton of Arkansas also dismantled the mainstream media’s claim on Thursday that pinned the coronavirus outbreak on a market selling dead and live animals.

Cotton referenced a Lancet study which showed that many of the first cases of the novel coronavirus, including patient zero, had no connection to the wet market — devastatingly undermining mainstream media’s claim.

“As one epidemiologist said: ‘That virus went into the seafood market before it came out of the seafood market.’ We still don’t know where it originated,” Cotton said.

“I would note that Wuhan also has China’s only bio-safety level four super laboratory that works with the world’s most deadly pathogens to include, yes, coronavirus.”

China claimed—for almost two months—that coronavirus had originated in a Wuhan seafood market. That is not the case. @TheLancet published a study demonstrating that of the original 40 cases, 14 of them had no contact with the seafood market, including Patient Zero. pic.twitter.com/PdgqgHjkGy

— Tom Cotton (@SenTomCotton) January 30, 2020
Chuck
mountain lion

Postby HBS Guy » 07 Feb 2020, 22:20

28K cases, 500 deaths is not a biological weapon.

Don’t stir up panic and hate without facts you dropkick!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby pinkeye » 07 Feb 2020, 22:29

Wouldn't surprise me at all Chuck.

But following on from that, logically , is the question... was it accidentally released, or.... ?

HBS GUY?
This just speculation OK.?

Yeah it all sounds like a bad novel... this Novel Coronavirus. The mortality rate is relatively low... BUT... viruses evolve.. and the greater the exposure viruses have to people, the more likely they are to ADAPT.
I think this is correctly called a Novel virus.

BUT, and there is always a BUT.!! .. we don't have all the facts.. so we cannot draw conclusions, we can only speculate.
sleeping is good for you
pinkeye
Warthog

Postby HBS Guy » 07 Feb 2020, 22:33

It is like SARS.

If it is a “bioweapon” it will kill more Chinese people than anyone else. Nah.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby pinkeye » 07 Feb 2020, 22:47

Arghhh ..

umm

no pirate impression intended. !!

Ask yourself a question.

HBS Guy wrote:It is like SARS.

There are 1.5 billion Chinese people , as far as I can tell, at present.

Think about attrition rates, and costs, and responders also being infected.

MICHAEL CHRICTON could have written the book on this.
sleeping is good for you
pinkeye
Warthog

Postby HBS Guy » 07 Feb 2020, 22:53

VERY low fatality rate.

You won’t be exposed to it, nor would I once living in Tassie. Need close contact to get it, not a weapon. Princess Booby is getting her knickers in a twist—why?
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby pinkeye » 08 Feb 2020, 01:04

who is Princess Booby..?
sleeping is good for you
pinkeye
Warthog

Postby pinkeye » 08 Feb 2020, 01:18

HBS Guy wrote:VERY low fatality rate.

You won’t be exposed to it, nor would I once living in Tassie. Need close contact to get it, not a weapon. Princess Booby is getting her knickers in a twist—why?

Well HBS Guy, I doubt we are being fully informed.

Given the efforts that we see on the teev , being undertaken in China, like building a whole new Hospital in a week or so, for their new infectious citizens, and hearing it is already not enough... already too many infected..!?

UMMM seriously.. if this wasn't a serious threat to ANY country, China would not be acting as they are.

Who has ever seen such empty streets in the heart of major Chinese cities before.? This is serious ..we are indeed protected, for now, by the manner in which we live.

People like JS or Lols tho, or others who post here, who regularly mingle in small environs, like cruise ships or planes should probably decide if they want to.. Do they NEED to..?

It is all one thing, when we look at the potential for destruction of a virus like this.
It isn't something to be ignored or downplayed.
sleeping is good for you
pinkeye
Warthog

Postby HBS Guy » 08 Feb 2020, 08:45

Yes there is a virus. 30K cases, 500 deaths. So doubt it is a weapon, just people living too close to their animals. Yes air travel can spread it but controls now exist.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby Chuck » 08 Feb 2020, 10:21

HBS Guy wrote:It is like SARS.

The mortality rate maybe low outside China at the moment, and ur chance of survival is greater in a developed countries.

What most posters are ignoring, is that the Chinese are world travellers in large numbers.
Many of the younger generations are adventurous, travelling to many third countries and this could be where the death rate may increase dramatically.

That is why I used the analogy in my previous post, that the Chinese are like a swarm of locusts sweeping the world.
Chuck
mountain lion

Postby HBS Guy » 08 Feb 2020, 12:09

I doubt the Chinese can just fly to other countries just at the moment.

Yes, China could have done more, helped western countries with copies of the virus but China is getting increasingly insular and antiWest, dunno why.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby Lols » 08 Feb 2020, 14:29

HBS Guy wrote:I doubt the Chinese can just fly to other countries just at the moment.

Yes, China could have done more, helped western countries with copies of the virus but China is getting increasingly insular and antiWest, dunno why.

My daughter in law in a airline hostess with Qantas.
She told me today, the Chinese know they can’t get onto a flight to another country, so they use their Australian passports instead. You see, dual passports.
Lols
Irish wolfhound

Postby DonDeeHippy » 08 Feb 2020, 15:00

Next week I do my annual Duff festival
https://www.earthfrequency.com.au/
I'm one of the staff and it's great fun..
I also do a lot with Local musicians and quite a few are worried for me that I'll be with 5,000 people and maybe get the Corona virus..... I just told them I wouldn't drink Mexican beer and id be fine... I got a lot of blank stares.
Seriously though I'm not going to live in fear and not leave my house... Ever :purple
Bongalong... for some reason women are just so superior to anything that ever existed or will ever exist!
DonDeeHippy
Jaguar

Postby HBS Guy » 08 Feb 2020, 17:05

Good luck!

Nah, you will be fine, just exclude Chinese tourists. . . :rofl
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby DonDeeHippy » 08 Feb 2020, 19:08

https://www.earthfrequency.com.au/sites ... k=0KPIXw4k

Just found a pic of me a Earth Freq.... I dress for success
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Bongalong... for some reason women are just so superior to anything that ever existed or will ever exist!
DonDeeHippy
Jaguar

Postby johnsmith » 08 Feb 2020, 19:41

DonDeeHippy wrote:https://www.earthfrequency.com.au/sites/default/files/styles/photo_gallery_image/public/web_content_files/photo_galleries/eff2019_brent_randall/eff2019_brent_randall_photo_mg_4188_edit_4.jpg?itok=0KPIXw4k

Just found a pic of me a Earth Freq.... I dress for success

that's definitely your colour
FD.
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.
johnsmith
Mastodon

PreviousNext

Return to Politics