A BIG RETHINK necessary..why FLY?

Discuss politics and current affairs here.

Hot topic: The scourge of negative gearing, Friends of the NBN and wrecking lives.  The economy and Poll tracking— all the polls.

Special Feature 1: Peter Costello and our current deficits.
Special Feature 2: Dr Turnbull and the wrong NBN prescription
Special Feature 3: The Denigration of science, technology and education.
Forum rules
The rules for this board are in the Charter of Moderation. Politics is for serious discussion of politics, economics and current affairs.

Re: A BIG RETHINK necessary..why FLY?

Postby Chuck » 30 Jan 2020, 22:38

I’m too pissed to read all the posts.

The biggest discouragement to polluting the air in the late 1970's was the prices of an airline ticket.

It amounted to 13 times the weeks average wage to get to London.

Travelling Europe was easier and less restrictive when it came to planning compared today.
If u liked a place, u simply stayed on!

Not being compelled to move on because of Internet booking's!

Travelling overseas has become a pain in the arse compared to yesteryears!

No planning needed, simply rock up!

Maybe pushing the price up could be the answer for the greenie wankers! :c :c :c
Last edited by Chuck on 30 Jan 2020, 22:46, edited 1 time in total.
Chuck
mountain lion

spamone: Animal

Postby pinkeye » 30 Jan 2020, 22:41

AGAIN I SAY.. I do NOT agree with you JS.

Unless there is genuine humanitarian NEED , no-one NEEDS to fly. They might want to, but they don't NEED to.

Health yep.. Ummm ,, and that's about it. The Flying Doctor Service, humanitarian aid to disaster areas... otherwise NO.

It is that serious.. !! providing alternatives to flying for people with the money and the DESIRE... NOT my problem. THAT is their problem. Tough shit you can't go to Monaco.. or the Adriatic Coast. TOUGH SHIT. !!

U all praise our firries… just try and extrapolate a bit from that.. Climate change MEANS WE CAN"T DO what we always have taken for granted. Wake up fuckwits. This is the NEW WORLD, where people die because we have fucked it so badly, 'cos we could. AND WE HAVE.
sleeping is good for you
pinkeye
Warthog

Postby pinkeye » 30 Jan 2020, 22:45

Bongalong wrote:
pinkeye wrote:I doubt many of you got the message expressed recently.... you wouldn't WANT to hear it.

That we all need to think about NOT flying... yeah, in Jets, to Holidays, all over the world.

Was it Sir Attenborough ? . It could well have been Prince Charles... . well whoever it was.. they are asking us to be responsible, and NOT FLY.

I mean, it is obvious, but I've raised this issue before, and basically been ridiculed. Seems people think their personal wealth and ability to travel entitles them to disregard WHAT they are doing, ' cos GEE it opens up the mind, travel . Well it seems not.

IT IS NOT OK to fly off twice a yr, eg. to foreign parts, Just 'cos you can,.. and you get to brag to your friends..?? Oh YES we DID Antarctica last year. :roll .
Oh Dubai is just incredible. :roll

TIME TO WAKE UP FUCKWITS.

NO... your mind-broadening experience.. :roll doh.!! doesn't excuse your profligate disregard for the consequences of your actions.

I really hope that Australians stay home for the Holidays, and that they SPEND THEIR MONEY in AUSTRALIA , not some shithole in Indonesia, or anywhere ELSE they feel they are entitled to fly to, BECAUSE THEY CAN. !. FFS.

The merchants wheel is a poem by the Australian Les Murray!

Why don't you send me a copy by PM.?
sleeping is good for you
pinkeye
Warthog

Postby pinkeye » 30 Jan 2020, 22:51

johnsmith wrote:
pinkeye wrote:ell us JS just what these more legitimate proposals are..?

for starters how about increasing the move towards renewables rather than coal based energy
or Banning unnecessary plastic wrapping

there are many cases we can take up that have a much more realistic chance of working

pinkeye wrote:NOBODY NEEDS to fly overseas for a holiday.

That's a ridiculous argument. These days you don't 'NEED to leave your house either and yet you do. Why don't you start with that if you're so concerned about polluting. People aren't going to simply stop living their lives just so you can feel better.

DonDeeHippy wrote:In Sweden the concept of "flight shame" or "flygskam" has been cited as a cause of falling air travel.[84] Swedish rail company SJ AB reports that twice as many Swedish people chose to travel by train instead of by air in summer 2019 compared with the previous year.[8

That's because a 12 hr drive from Sweden can take you across 3 or 4 borders if you so wish. Icould drive north for 12 hrs and still be in qld.
And they have viable alternatives. Try heading overseas from Australia by train ... see how that works for you.

SERIOUSLY?

pinkeye wrote:NOBODY NEEDS to fly overseas for a holiday.

That's a ridiculous argument. These days you don't 'NEED to leave your house either and yet you do. Why don't you start with that if you're so concerned about polluting. People aren't going to simply stop living their lives just so you can feel better. ( JS)

I'm sure you didn't really mean that... ha ha ha …. Read it back to yourself.
So, what exactly is your vested interest in air travel for ALL... ???
sleeping is good for you
pinkeye
Warthog

Postby johnsmith » 31 Jan 2020, 15:32

pinkeye wrote:AGAIN I SAY.. I do NOT agree with you JS.

Unless there is genuine humanitarian NEED , no-one NEEDS to fly. They might want to, but they don't NEED to.

that is YOUR opinion, and just like arseholes, everyone has one

pinkeye wrote: providing alternatives to flying for people with the money and the DESIRE... NOT my problem.

it is if you really want people to stop flying ... or is this just about pretending you care so that you can sound good on the internet?

pinkeye wrote:SERIOUSLY?

no, i was joking...................... not :grn :grn

pinkeye wrote:I'm sure you didn't really mean that...

sure i did. Or are you a 'do as I say, not as I do' type of person?...............(a.k.a. a hypocrite)
FD.
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.
johnsmith
Mastodon

Postby Chuck » 31 Jan 2020, 17:04

HBS Guy wrote:If I ever do another trip I would love to go by ship via the Suez Canal! Missed out on that on the way to Australia in 1957 because of the Suez Crisis.

Planes are beginning to be electric too, Pinky, tho short hop just now.
Are u a 10 pound Pom?

Could be an advantage if u have intention to cruise in the future!
Chuck
mountain lion

Postby HBS Guy » 31 Jan 2020, 17:25

I am not a Pom, never was, closest I got was having an English grandmother.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby Chuck » 31 Jan 2020, 21:12

HBS Guy wrote:I am not a Pom, never was, closest I got was having an English grandmother.
Depending on which ship u came on, could be used to speed up ur status for on board credits with certain cruise companies.
Chuck
mountain lion

Postby pinkeye » 01 Feb 2020, 01:47

johnsmith wrote:
pinkeye wrote:AGAIN I SAY.. I do NOT agree with you JS.

that is YOUR opinion, and just like arseholes, everyone has one
Well JS that is MOST CERTAINLY TRUE

pinkeye wrote: providing alternatives to flying for people with the money and the DESIRE... NOT my problem.

it is if you really want people to stop flying ... or is this just about pretending you care so that you can sound good on the internet?

Well JS I started THIS TOPIC BECAUSE I AM VERY CONCERNED AT THE IGNORANCE SHOWN.THE DISREGARD FOR CONSEQUENCES, AND THE ARROGANCE OF THOSE WHO CAN AND WILL POISON EVERYONE'S ATMOSPHERE...…... SPEAK ON SKYPE FFS.

pinkeye wrote:SERIOUSLY?

no, i was joking...................... not :grn :grn

pinkeye wrote:I'm sure you didn't really mean that...

sure i did. Or are you a 'do as I say, not as I do' type of person?...............(a.k.a. a hypocrite)

Well JS I don't FLY. THAT IS THE WHOLE POINT. YOU ARE A DIVIDED PERSON, THAT BECOMES VERY CLEAR. YOU WANT TO SAVE ANYHTING.?
WHY IS IT OK TO CONTINUE ALONG THIS PATH. FLYING IS JUST A REALLY GOOD EXAMPLE OF WHAT WE DO WITHOUT THOUGHT, THAT CAUSES HARM , TO EVERYONE. WE HAVE A LOT TO LEARN, OR WE DIE. THAT ISSIMPLE. THAT IS MY MESSAGE TO YOU, FOR THE SAKE OF THE FUTURE. WHAT THERE IS OF IT. GOOD LUCK
sleeping is good for you
pinkeye
Warthog

Postby johnsmith » 01 Feb 2020, 12:10

pinkeye wrote:Well JS I started THIS TOPIC BECAUSE I AM VERY CONCERNED AT THE IGNORANCE SHOWN.THE DISREGARD FOR CONSEQUENCES, AND THE ARROGANCE OF THOSE WHO CAN AND WILL POISON EVERYONE'S ATMOSPHERE...…... SPEAK ON SKYPE FFS.

so not because you are concerned about the pollution mankind is inflicting on our planet then?

pinkeye wrote:Well JS I don't FLY. THAT IS THE WHOLE POINT.

even if planes did not pollute you still wouldn't fly. It's easy to say others should give something up when it doesn't affect you. It's not so easy when you're the one being

affected.
pinkeye wrote:WHY IS IT OK TO CONTINUE ALONG THIS PATH.

no one said anything about it being OK or not. We all do lots of things that cause pollution, you included. You're just singling out flying because it's the easiest one for you to give up since you don't fly anyway. It's like a non smoker lecturing a smoker on how easy it is to give up smoking :roll :roll :roll

If you really want to make a change, you have to give people a comparable alternative otherwise the message is completely disregarded.
FD.
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.
johnsmith
Mastodon

Postby pinkeye » 02 Feb 2020, 01:11

johnsmith wrote:
pinkeye wrote:Well JS I started THIS TOPIC BECAUSE I AM VERY CONCERNED AT THE IGNORANCE SHOWN.THE DISREGARD FOR CONSEQUENCES, AND THE ARROGANCE OF THOSE WHO CAN AND WILL POISON EVERYONE'S ATMOSPHERE...…... SPEAK ON SKYPE FFS.

so not because you are concerned about the pollution mankind is inflicting on our planet then?

pinkeye wrote:Well JS I don't FLY. THAT IS THE WHOLE POINT.

even if planes did not pollute you still wouldn't fly. It's easy to say others should give something up when it doesn't affect you. It's not so easy when you're the one being

affected.
pinkeye wrote:WHY IS IT OK TO CONTINUE ALONG THIS PATH.

no one said anything about it being OK or not. We all do lots of things that cause pollution, you included. You're just singling out flying because it's the easiest one for you to give up since you don't fly anyway. It's like a non smoker lecturing a smoker on how easy it is to give up smoking :roll :roll :roll

If you really want to make a change, you have to give people a comparable alternative otherwise the message is completely disregarded.

I can't bother with all these quotes and answers. So

..of course . :roll One follows from the other. That is a sad attempt at changing the focus.

I would definitely consider flying again, if it was non-polluting.

Ditto

And your last sentence..?
.. no JS, I don't need to give anyone an alternative … it isn't a matter of choice, but necessity. Guess we will ALL get the message EVENTUALLY.
sleeping is good for you
pinkeye
Warthog

Postby DonDeeHippy » 02 Feb 2020, 05:21

Yes why should people change their ways just because of the threat of extinction, give us a REAL reason to change.... :purple
Bongalong... for some reason women are just so superior to anything that ever existed or will ever exist!
DonDeeHippy
Jaguar

Postby HBS Guy » 02 Feb 2020, 08:49

We could build a national fibre to the home network that would greatly reduce the need to fly! Have some real teleconferencing, not the excuse of it that I use Sat afternoons to talk to a few yank brew buddies. In Tassie it becomes much better—the wifi of the B&B is connected via FTTH to the internet.

Might as well start this right now because the copper is just continuing to rot and the cut rate rubbish is not cutting the mustard.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby pinkeye » 03 Feb 2020, 01:09

DonDeeHippy wrote:Yes why should people change their ways just because of the threat of extinction, give us a REAL reason to change.... :purple

Quite so. For some reason people think they are entitled to do as they want... disregarding all else but their own desires.

Selfish Indulgence... It is all around us... from the young men who poison the air with their burnouts, wrecks, hooning,.and the blowing up of stolen cars ….. to the oldies who believe they are free to fly around the world, as often as they choose.

. No blame accepted....

Sorry... none of us are free from the effects of our choices. No-one gets an exemption, in the long run.
sleeping is good for you
pinkeye
Warthog

Postby Bongalong » 03 Feb 2020, 12:46

pinkeye wrote:
DonDeeHippy wrote:Yes why should people change their ways just because of the threat of extinction, give us a REAL reason to change.... :purple

Quite so. For some reason people think they are entitled to do as they want... disregarding all else but their own desires.

Selfish Indulgence... It is all around us... from the young men who poison the air with their burnouts, wrecks, hooning,.and the blowing up of stolen cars ….. to the oldies who believe they are free to fly around the world, as often as they choose.

. No blame accepted....

Sorry... none of us are free from the effects of our choices. No-one gets an exemption, in the long run.

Some do: I believe they call it the middleclass! :c
"Oi!"
Bongalong
Warthog

Postby Chuck » 03 Feb 2020, 18:42

pinkeye wrote:

. No blame accepted....

I hope u took heed of my mantra, "whatever mankind does has consequences, the best we can hope for, is that what we believe is a solution has less detrimental impact that it is replacing ".
Chuck
mountain lion

Postby johnsmith » 03 Feb 2020, 19:50

I'm not sure why you seem to be struggling but I'll try again

It's irrelevant what people should and shouldn't do. Just like it's not relevant if flying is 'ok" or not. Human nature dictates that unless you provide people with a viable alternative, they'll continue to fly. If you ignore that you'll never get any real change.
FD.
johnsmith
Mastodon

Postby pinkeye » 04 Feb 2020, 03:26

Bongalong wrote:
pinkeye wrote:

. No blame accepted....

Some do: I believe they call it the middleclass! :c

That is again a significant point...… and the middle class..? they'll be the first to die. No exemptions..

I mean ..

WHO or WHAT gets to give exemptions...? No humans you or I know, that is for sure.

There is NO ESCAPE. :scare
sleeping is good for you
pinkeye
Warthog

Postby DonDeeHippy » 04 Feb 2020, 05:58

johnsmith wrote:

I'm not sure why you seem to be struggling but I'll try again

It's irrelevant what people should and shouldn't do. Just like it's not relevant if flying is 'ok" or not. Human nature dictates that unless you provide people with a viable alternative, they'll continue to fly. If you ignore that you'll never get any real change.

Exactly, in General people are so short sighted that the tinniest inconvenience in their life is intolerable, even if we don't change the whole lot could go belly under....
instead of thinking.. hey if i fly I'm poisoning me and my land, they think if you don't want me to fly you better give me a alternative, sad but true.... :purple
Bongalong... for some reason women are just so superior to anything that ever existed or will ever exist!
DonDeeHippy
Jaguar

Postby HBS Guy » 04 Feb 2020, 10:49

Some people fly on business—they don’t really have a choice. Yes, telepresence could be used more but sometimes being there is essential.

I flew to England and back and had a great time in Europe, quite a mind-stretching experience and I am GLAD I did. Flew once to Canberra for work, twice to Gladstone in Qld after driving there the first time in my old Ford Telstar (I think that 30yo car was the most comfortable car I ever had, was disappointed when I had to get rid of it.) Which polluted more, driving all that way or taking public transport, i.e. a plane? I did pay the few $ to offset the emissions.

I am contemplating flying to Tasmania next time, waiting on the foreshore in Devonport (devoid of interest or facilities) until 11.00pm to board then driving off in Melbourne at 10.00am (instead of 7.30am) and 725Km drive ahead of me soured me on the idea of driving + ferry!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby johnsmith » 04 Feb 2020, 16:44

HBS Guy wrote:Some people fly on business—they don’t really have a choice.

it's not just business. If I want to go see my dad in Wollongong, but only have a weekend, driving is out of the question. I need a day to drive there and a day back from the GC. Weekend is all over just with the traveling. Flying is the only real option. I can leave early on Sat and spend most of the weekend with him rather than driving.
FD.
johnsmith
Mastodon

Postby HBS Guy » 04 Feb 2020, 17:25

Yeah, fast electric train might do it, not for decades tho, this is Australia and we have the Liberals in.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby Bongalong » 04 Feb 2020, 17:54

johnsmith wrote:

it's not just business. If I want to go see my dad in Wollongong, but only have a weekend, driving is out of the question. I need a day to drive there and a day back from the GC. Weekend is all over just with the traveling. Flying is the only real option. I can leave early on Sat and spend most of the weekend with him rather than driving.

Ye s, and I don't always agree with pinkeye but I have agreed to this basic idea... but shouldn't you another be considered lucky to even drive ?
"Oi!"
Bongalong
Warthog

Postby Chuck » 04 Feb 2020, 22:51

Pinkeye! What should I do?
My missus has booked me on another flight and ur persistent harassment has made me feel guilty!

I looking forward to ur recommendations to resolve my dilemma.

I believe that u live in SEQ maybe we should have a liaison to discuss my dilemma!

Hope, that my comments don’t spoil ur sweet dreams.

Good night! I’ll be thinking of u!
Chuck
mountain lion

Postby pinkeye » 05 Feb 2020, 03:28

:bgrin
:h :smack
at least you're thinking about it :bgrin

Bongalong wrote:
johnsmith wrote:

that could well be debateable … but I understand there may be a NEED.. to make money . Smarter is better.

Ye s, and I don't always agree with pinkeye but I have agreed to this basic idea... but shouldn't you another be considered lucky to even drive ?

Yes those who can are completely unaware, it would seem, of their privilege.

JS wants to see his Dad in Wollongong for the weekend, so he hops on a plane, and he seems to think this is nothing to give any thought to. He can, so he does. He is privileged and he is perfectly happy with that. He has money, and he can so he does.
Hey, I used to travel down to the Vic border to see my Mum.. I caught buses, trains, I drove down plenty of times and stayed.... Once I stayed for 6 weeks..
I flew down to Melb once, in her final days. then had to take 2 buses to get there, and by then she was in a locked ward..
She had Parkinson's. Very sad. ..she lived in a very difficult place to get to, nothing direct... very awful experience that trip was.

In fact, several of my trips, where I didn't drive myself in my old fairlane, were real nightmare material..

Perhaps JS has an unwell DAD...or ..........?
Caring for ones beloveds that requires travel by air, when necessary, is fair enough.
Presently, you can fly anywhere, for fun...I just ask people to think .. do I really need to fly to …..e.g. Bali.? It bears consideration nowadays... :sad

As I said, some times it may be necessary to fly.
sleeping is good for you
pinkeye
Warthog

PreviousNext

Return to Politics