A BIG RETHINK necessary..why FLY?

Discuss politics and current affairs here.

Hot topic: The scourge of negative gearing, Friends of the NBN and wrecking lives.  The economy and Poll tracking— all the polls.

Special Feature 1: Peter Costello and our current deficits.
Special Feature 2: Dr Turnbull and the wrong NBN prescription
Special Feature 3: The Denigration of science, technology and education.
.
Forum rules
The rules for this board are in the Charter of Moderation. Politics is for serious discussion of politics, economics and current affairs.

Re: A BIG RETHINK necessary..why FLY?

Postby Chuck » 05 Feb 2020, 06:39

Chuck wrote:Pinkeye! What should I do?
My missus has booked me on another flight and ur persistent harassment has made me feel guilty!

I looking forward to ur recommendations to resolve my dilemma.

I believe that u live in SEQ maybe we should have a liaison to discuss my dilemma!

Hope, that my comments don’t spoil ur sweet dreams.

Good night! I’ll be thinking of u!
I reckon ur got to be Hughesy!

Pls forgive me if my last night comments offended u?

Shouldn’t look at my tablet after a certain time in the evening’s

Cheers
Chuck
mountain lion
 
Posts: 762
Joined: 11 May 2019, 18:39
spamone: Animal

Re: A BIG RETHINK necessary..why FLY?

Postby johnsmith » 05 Feb 2020, 15:23

pinkeye wrote::bgrin
:h :smack
at least you're thinking about it :bgrin

Bongalong wrote:
johnsmith wrote:
HBS Guy wrote:Some people fly on business—they don’t really have a choice.


that could well be debateable … but I understand there may be a NEED.. to make money . Smarter is better.

it's not just business. If I want to go see my dad in Wollongong, but only have a weekend, driving is out of the question. I need a day to drive there and a day back from the GC. Weekend is all over just with the traveling. Flying is the only real option. I can leave early on Sat and spend most of the weekend with him rather than driving.

Ye s, and I don't always agree with pinkeye but I have agreed to this basic idea... but shouldn't you another be considered lucky to even drive ?


Yes those who can are completely unaware, it would seem, of their privilege.

JS wants to see his Dad in Wollongong for the weekend, so he hops on a plane, and he seems to think this is nothing to give any thought to. He can, so he does. He is privileged and he is perfectly happy with that. He has money, and he can so he does.
Hey, I used to travel down to the Vic border to see my Mum.. I caught buses, trains, I drove down plenty of times and stayed.... Once I stayed for 6 weeks..
I flew down to Melb once, in her final days. then had to take 2 buses to get there, and by then she was in a locked ward..
She had Parkinson's. Very sad. ..she lived in a very difficult place to get to, nothing direct... very awful experience that trip was.

In fact, several of my trips, where I didn't drive myself in my old fairlane, were real nightmare material..

Perhaps JS has an unwell DAD...or ..........?
Caring for ones beloveds that requires travel by air, when necessary, is fair enough.
Presently, you can fly anywhere, for fun...I just ask people to think .. do I really need to fly to …..e.g. Bali.? It bears consideration nowadays... :sad

As I said, some times it may be necessary to fly.


when possible, i prefer to drive pink, and have always done so.

But, unlike you, I'm not retired and there are times where i don't have the luxury of time to drive down to Wollongong. I haven't had a decent holiday in about 14 years because of work commitments. If I don't work, i don't get paid. I've never been paid for a day i haven' worked, a sickie, or a holiday, in my life. In the past, taking a holiday meant i had to pay someone else to do my job. It just wasn't feasible. My old man is in his mid 70's and had heart surgery 15 years ago to replace a valve that had a supposed life of 10 - 15 yrs. Now they're saying he's to old for additional heart surgery. I'm not likely to retire for another 15 odd years. Do you suggest i wait until then to go see my old man?

And i haven't mentioned my mum who is now living in Italy. Perhaps pink thinks I should take 9 months off work so we can travel by ship, just because she doesn't like flying? I'll do it pink, if you pay my expenses for the nine months, plus the travel costs for me and my family, since cruises are so much more expensive. What do you say, is it a deal??
FD.
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.
User avatar
johnsmith
Mastodon
 
Posts: 9668
Joined: 25 Sep 2017, 21:39
spamone: Animal

Re: A BIG RETHINK necessary..why FLY?

Postby pinkeye » 06 Feb 2020, 00:41

Thank you for your post JS.

I have nothing but the best of wishes for you and your Dad. THAT is a good reason to fly, and necessary.


MY ISSUE is with people who choose to fly for entertainments sake.. you might as well say. POP up to BALI... hop over to the US to go L:as Vegas.. It makes me want to puke... seriously...

Oh let's fly to Scotland, I am sure I have fore :roll bears there.. PUKE.

There are reasons to fly and there are NO EXCUSES to FLY.

Don't pollute our biosphere because you want to go... somewhere by Plane.
Necessary travel.. I don't argue with that.. but

the days of carefree flying around the world to ..??? what?? learn something..?? taste some authentic food... should be well and truly OVER.
sleeping is good for you
User avatar
pinkeye
Warthog
 
Posts: 4631
Joined: 01 Oct 2017, 20:59
spamone: Animal

Re: A BIG RETHINK necessary..why FLY?

Postby Chuck » 06 Feb 2020, 15:42

People, will continue to fly because it is in their nature to see as much of the world as their finances allows them.

Being at a locations has different affects on people than watching a travel show on TV!
Especially those religious types, who go to Rome or the Holy Lands to feel the ‘presence of god'!

Very similar to the big wigs in the business world demanding face to face meetings, because there is something lacking or not the same with teleconferences.

My wife and I want to see as much off the world before that permanent sleep grasps us.

Like, I said we had the solution in the 70's as a disincentive to travel overseas - 13 weeks wages to pay for a return flight to London.

U better make up some placards and get to the airport’s or cruise terminal's and start protesting, that way I might meet u. :rofl :rofl

I take the attitude of the modern young people, ' I need that disposable nappies for my young ones, u need to find a solution for it to become environmental friendly'.

I take the same attitude when it comes to flying as the young folks, no guilt!
Chuck
mountain lion
 
Posts: 762
Joined: 11 May 2019, 18:39
spamone: Animal

Re: A BIG RETHINK necessary..why FLY?

Postby johnsmith » 06 Feb 2020, 16:15

pinkeye wrote:
MY ISSUE is with people who choose to fly for entertainments sake.. you might as well say. POP up to BALI... hop over to the US to go L:as Vegas.. It makes me want to puke... seriously...

Oh let's fly to Scotland, I am sure I have fore :roll bears there.. PUKE.

There are reasons to fly and there are NO EXCUSES to FLY.


for you there is no reason ... but flying or not, i get the impression you don't travel much these days anyway. It's to easy to tell others not to travel when it doesn't affect you.

The next time I travel to Italy I'm going to take advantage of the fact that I'm therein Europe and I'm going to also fly to Romania and Norway ......i might throw in Spain as well. . For entertainments sake. If you don't like it, then tough.
FD.
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.
User avatar
johnsmith
Mastodon
 
Posts: 9668
Joined: 25 Sep 2017, 21:39
spamone: Animal

Re: A BIG RETHINK necessary..why FLY?

Postby Bongalong » 06 Feb 2020, 21:54

Chuck wrote:People, will continue to fly because it is in their nature to see as much of the world as their finances allows them.

Being at a locations has different affects on people than watching a travel show on TV!
Especially those religious types, who go to Rome or the Holy Lands to feel the ‘presence of god'!

Very similar to the big wigs in the business world demanding face to face meetings, because there is something lacking or not the same with teleconferences.

My wife and I want to see as much off the world before that permanent sleep grasps us.

Like, I said we had the solution in the 70's as a disincentive to travel overseas - 13 weeks wages to pay for a return flight to London.

U better make up some placards and get to the airport’s or cruise terminal's and start protesting, that way I might meet u. :rofl :rofl

I take the attitude of the modern young people, ' I need that disposable nappies for my young ones, u need to find a solution for it to become environmental friendly'.

I take the same attitude when it comes to flying as the young folks, no guilt!

The middle-class fly around the world on printed money! It's a tinderbox waiting to happen ! :bike
"Oi!"
Bongalong
Warthog
 
Posts: 3471
Joined: 25 Jun 2018, 11:48
spamone: Animal

Re: A BIG RETHINK necessary..why FLY?

Postby pinkeye » 07 Feb 2020, 01:15

johnsmith wrote:
pinkeye wrote:
MY ISSUE is with people who choose to fly for entertainments sake.. you might as well say. POP up to BALI... hop over to the US to go L:as Vegas.. It makes me want to puke... seriously...

Oh let's fly to Scotland, I am sure I have fore :roll bears there.. PUKE.

There are reasons to fly and there are NO EXCUSES to FLY.


for you there is no reason ... but flying or not, i get the impression you don't travel much these days anyway. It's to easy to tell others not to travel when it doesn't affect you. ( Of course it affects me .. you really are a denier.. :roll )

The next time I travel to Italy I'm going to take advantage of the fact that I'm therein Europe and I'm going to also fly to Romania and Norway ......i might throw in Spain as well. . For entertainments sake. If you don't like it, then tough.



YOU see no harm.. Hmm actually you haven't claimed THAT at least. :roll

YOU KNOW that harm is caused and you don't care, couldn't give a stuff. !!

Not all violins about your poor suffering DAD in Wollongong eh..?


YOU can ...so you will, and stuff the lot of everyone else .. don't want to know, don't care.

That's what you are saying. SO

Well no I don't particularly like what you show us here, but I'm not surprised.
You are at least consistent.
sleeping is good for you
User avatar
pinkeye
Warthog
 
Posts: 4631
Joined: 01 Oct 2017, 20:59
spamone: Animal

Re: A BIG RETHINK necessary..why FLY?

Postby Chuck » 07 Feb 2020, 16:11

Bongalong wrote:
Chuck wrote:People, will continue to fly because it is in their nature to see as much of the world as their finances allows them.

Being at a locations has different affects on people than watching a travel show on TV!
Especially those religious types, who go to Rome or the Holy Lands to feel the ‘presence of god'!

I take the attitude of the modern young people, ' I need that disposable nappies for my young ones, u need to find a solution for it to become environmental friendly'.

I take the same attitude when it comes to flying as the young folks, no guilt!

The middle-class fly around the world on printed money! It's a tinderbox waiting to happen ! :bike
Depends what on what is your definition as Middle Class.

My definition is people who live in a valuable property and get a part pension as a minimum - especially those who connive their finances to get the govt pension.
Chuck
mountain lion
 
Posts: 762
Joined: 11 May 2019, 18:39
spamone: Animal

Re: A BIG RETHINK necessary..why FLY?

Postby Bongalong » 07 Feb 2020, 17:00

Chuck wrote:
Bongalong wrote:
Chuck wrote:People, will continue to fly because it is in their nature to see as much of the world as their finances allows them.

Being at a locations has different affects on people than watching a travel show on TV!
Especially those religious types, who go to Rome or the Holy Lands to feel the ‘presence of god'!

I take the attitude of the modern young people, ' I need that disposable nappies for my young ones, u need to find a solution for it to become environmental friendly'.

I take the same attitude when it comes to flying as the young folks, no guilt!

The middle-class fly around the world on printed money! It's a tinderbox waiting to happen ! :bike
Depends what on what is your definition as Middle Class.

My definition is people who live in a valuable property and get a part pension as a minimum - especially those who connive their finances to get the govt pension.

No it doesn't :rofl
"Oi!"
Bongalong
Warthog
 
Posts: 3471
Joined: 25 Jun 2018, 11:48
spamone: Animal

Re: A BIG RETHINK necessary..why FLY?

Postby Chuck » 07 Feb 2020, 17:33

Bongalong wrote:
Chuck wrote:
Bongalong wrote:
Chuck wrote:The middle-class fly around the world on printed money! It's a tinderbox waiting to happen ! :bike
Depends what on what is your definition as Middle Class.

My definition is people who live in a valuable property and get a part pension as a minimum - especially those who connive their finances to get the govt pension.

No it doesn't :rofl
Short comment, not to incriminate yourself!

I have to assume that my comments is a summary of ur situation.

U rich bastard!
Chuck
mountain lion
 
Posts: 762
Joined: 11 May 2019, 18:39
spamone: Animal

Re: A BIG RETHINK necessary..why FLY?

Postby johnsmith » 07 Feb 2020, 19:38

pinkeye wrote:Of course it affects me .. you really are a denier.. :roll )


really? when was the last time you flew? and when was the last time you traveled anywhere distant, regardless of mode of transport.


pinkeye wrote:
YOU can ...so you will,


yes, that's what i'm saying

pinkeye wrote:You are at least consistent.

I', always consistent
FD.
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.
User avatar
johnsmith
Mastodon
 
Posts: 9668
Joined: 25 Sep 2017, 21:39
spamone: Animal

Re: A BIG RETHINK necessary..why FLY?

Postby pinkeye » 07 Feb 2020, 22:00

OK I guess u embrace the idea … that we are all doomed. might as well have fun while you can.

Let's get it over and done with eh..? The more the merrier.

I cannot, in good conscience, deny your right to choose that.

Hey
You can't take it with you.
sleeping is good for you
User avatar
pinkeye
Warthog
 
Posts: 4631
Joined: 01 Oct 2017, 20:59
spamone: Animal

Re: A BIG RETHINK necessary..why FLY?

Postby HBS Guy » 07 Feb 2020, 22:18

IF I fly to Tassie instead of driving 725Km to Melbourne then taking the ferry—which causes less pollution?
User avatar
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia
 
Posts: 55075
Joined: 27 Oct 2009, 14:37

Re: A BIG RETHINK necessary..why FLY?

Postby pinkeye » 07 Feb 2020, 22:38

well shucks How would I know.?
:huh
You apparently live in SA.

Are there direct flights from where you live to your spot in Tas.? Do you drive to your local airport , and get a direct flight.. town to town...?

How would I know that HBS Guy.?
sleeping is good for you
User avatar
pinkeye
Warthog
 
Posts: 4631
Joined: 01 Oct 2017, 20:59
spamone: Animal

Re: A BIG RETHINK necessary..why FLY?

Postby HBS Guy » 07 Feb 2020, 22:50

I don’t know either, Pinky. I know I am fucking sick of the ferry—they want day and night crossings and can’t really maintain that.

ha! I have whinged about the world record snoring in the little cabins with 4 blokes trying to sleep, well, on the last trip Devonport to Pt Melbourne my shoulders hurt and with the little bitty pillow they provide—I could not sleep on my side and got told a few times to stop snoring (I got up early and had a shower, just finishing getting dressed I here the alarm (7.30am I think) going off, so rush in and turn it off: wanted to apologise and explain about not being able to sleep on my side but decided to slink out and go find coffee, had woken them sufficiently I thought :bgrin As it turned out, could have just ao=s well stayed in bed another hour or two.

Two full tanks of petrol, 160L of petrol, burned just getting to/from Melbourne. 250Km across the Strait v flight to Melbourne and flight to Tassie (worst case.) I really doubt flying is more polluting.
User avatar
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia
 
Posts: 55075
Joined: 27 Oct 2009, 14:37

Re: A BIG RETHINK necessary..why FLY?

Postby pinkeye » 07 Feb 2020, 22:57

Sounds like the typical trip I used to make to visit my Mum, locked away in a home on the Murray.
Very hard to get to from where I live. She is now at peace.

I had some truly awful experiences.. BUS TRAIN PLANE... all nightmarish .. Never had to worry about a FERRY. :bgrin :roll I can just imagine. :roll
sleeping is good for you
User avatar
pinkeye
Warthog
 
Posts: 4631
Joined: 01 Oct 2017, 20:59
spamone: Animal

Re: A BIG RETHINK necessary..why FLY?

Postby HBS Guy » 07 Feb 2020, 23:02

4 blokes in a tiny cabin—world record snoring! That time I really thought the guy in the bunk below mine had passed away from sleep apnea!

Never felt bad, no seasickness (tablets!) trouble sleeping from the snoring but poor Demi was totally distressed by the September crossing MLB-DPO last year. Poor thing, my fault not arranging her bedding properly. She whined when I took her from the kennel and started to carry her to my car—that was a blade straight into my heart!

But ships burn the dregs no other form of transport will use—polluting!
User avatar
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia
 
Posts: 55075
Joined: 27 Oct 2009, 14:37

Re: A BIG RETHINK necessary..why FLY?

Postby pinkeye » 08 Feb 2020, 00:48

All things change Monk.

Best of luck and good fortune to you.
sleeping is good for you
User avatar
pinkeye
Warthog
 
Posts: 4631
Joined: 01 Oct 2017, 20:59
spamone: Animal

Re: A BIG RETHINK necessary..why FLY?

Postby HBS Guy » 08 Feb 2020, 08:47

Thanks Pinky!
User avatar
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia
 
Posts: 55075
Joined: 27 Oct 2009, 14:37

Previous

Return to Politics

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests

cron