No-one is talking about the Elephant

Discuss politics and current affairs here.

Hot topic: The scourge of negative gearing, Friends of the NBN and wrecking lives.  The economy and Poll tracking— all the polls.

Special Feature 1: Peter Costello and our current deficits.
Special Feature 2: Dr Turnbull and the wrong NBN prescription
Special Feature 3: The Denigration of science, technology and education.
Forum rules
The rules for this board are in the Charter of Moderation. Politics is for serious discussion of politics, economics and current affairs.

Re: No-one is talking about the Elephant

Postby pinkeye » 30 Jan 2020, 01:17

pinkeye wrote:So it's over for another year.

I have noticed a strange thing happening, lately , in interviews with people on the teev.

It seems some people think we live in Auschtralia.

It's schtrange, how schtrong this seems to be. This apparent trend is getting schtronger.!!

I have heard this TOO often to ignore it.

It does seem most typical of young sporty people.
Umm . anyone else wonder about this. ?
I mean you wouldn't say the United Schtates of America,, or ??

How come our young don't know how to name their own country , properly. ?

It is AUSTRalia
Not AUSCHTRALIA.

Is there a message here, we aren't hearing..? Or is it simply an example of how poorly we educate our children, here in AUSTRALIA.?

Yeah so that huge (not ) reply necessitates a repeat..

I do wonder... when? we accepted this dumbing down, down down ... own it. Do YOU think you live in Auschstralia.?

Am I being unkind to some unknown demographic..?

IT IS

AUSTRALIA.

Leave the sch ..for S
sleeping is good for you
pinkeye
Warthog

spamone: Animal

Postby HBS Guy » 30 Jan 2020, 07:43

And even on the ABC they talk of the month of “Febry.”
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby Bongalong » 30 Jan 2020, 18:15

SethBullock wrote:We cannot undo the past, nor are we, the living, responsible for things that were done generations ago.

Of all the souls who have lived their lives on Earth, we are among the most fortunate in so many ways.

Happy Australia Day.

Seth

Yeh, whatevs as we say down under....
"Oi!"
Bongalong
Warthog

Postby Bongalong » 30 Jan 2020, 18:19

Chuck wrote:
Dax wrote:Gun runner. :rofl
Yep! Irish-America, used to supply guns to the IRA.

Maybe we should resurrect the business with u as a partner.

Considering that 20% of our residents are Chinese and many are pro-Beijing supporters.

Yet, none of these have ever heard of Koala's being eaten on the mainland.

They have a reputation of how well they treat their indigenous people under their control!

I wonder what the future holds for our indigenous people with our demographics changing so quickly.

You should write a book chuck, ya c**** :beer
"Oi!"
Bongalong
Warthog

Postby Chuck » 30 Jan 2020, 19:43

Bongalong wrote:You should write a book chuck, ya c**** :beer
Is that acknowledgement that we have more worldly experiences than U?

These Chinese and many others treat our country as an interim destination during emergencies!

I wouldn’t class many as true Aussies, but manipulative beings, simply for our benefits and treating our country as a security blanket when their mother countries and allegiance are in strife!

I most probably travelled more third world countries and met more so called 'Aussie' then u!

It now appears more difficult to workout who are scheming the system.
In the past u could determine who was abusing the system when the receptionist got excited wanting to introduce their Aussie owners. Most were struggling to say "hello".

This may not sound appropriate but I suspect that u may have what is normally called a 'mail ordered bride'.

Pls don’t take offence

Not to brag, but my wife and I have been to well over 100 countries. We only started counting after our Pommie friend, who resides in the UK, mentioned his travel count.
Chuck
mountain lion

Postby pinkeye » 30 Jan 2020, 23:22

Right-OH .. so we KNOW who is partially responsible for air pollution. You and YOUR WIFE FLYING all over the fucking world. You selfish cunts ( I was going to put ..u filthy English pigs .. Monty Pythonish.? ) but it isn't really funny.

Time to stop polluting the world NOW. CUNTS.
sleeping is good for you
pinkeye
Warthog

Postby Chuck » 01 Feb 2020, 21:26

pinkeye wrote:Right-OH .. so we KNOW who is partially responsible for air pollution. You and YOUR WIFE FLYING all over the fucking world. You selfish cunts ( I was going to put ..u filthy English pigs .. Monty Pythonish.? ) but it isn't really funny.

U could stop farting and mouthing off and act as our offset credit for our air travels!

U most probably got more gadgets that u don’t need compared too us, and we maintain enough greenery to to get offset credits for our air travel.

Just being sarcastic because it is a stupid Greenie concept which still allows us to pollute.

Write to the Chinese, Indian, USA and the Russian embassy if ur serious.
The younger generation are the greatest polluters with all the mod cons that isn’t necessary.

I thought u would have supported the removal in the pollution generated, during the manufacturing of disposable nappies.
Chuck
mountain lion

Postby pinkeye » 01 Feb 2020, 22:39

wow.. now that I find incomprehensible.

A real mouthful that raises many issues, but makes no sense.

Oh of course, other than you really didn't like what I posted. :bgrin

Tough shit wanker.

I live SMALL not large.
But I do own 2.5 acres of pristine native bush and massive bio-diversity in SEQ.

Stick that up your arese.

Greenery..?? What? Give it rest.. YOU AND YOUR WIFE HAVE NO EXCUSES FOR BEING DESTROYERS.
sleeping is good for you
pinkeye
Warthog

Postby Chuck » 02 Feb 2020, 22:50

pinkeye wrote:wow.. now that I find incomprehensible.

Tough shit wanker.

I live SMALL not large.
But I do own 2.5 acres of pristine native bush and massive bio-diversity in SEQ.

Greenery..?? What? Give it rest.. YOU AND YOUR WIFE HAVE NO EXCUSES FOR BEING DESTROYERS.
U simply can’t get it thru ur head who are the biggest polluters on this Earth.

If the earth is in such a dire strait, concentrate ur angst against the countries that I’ve mentioned and forget the stupidity of the per-capita basis argument.

It is simply a distraction for gullible people like u to feel guilty!

To settle u down for the evening, I have the following response to ur name calling!

As u mentioned I have a wife and theirs is no need for me to be a wanker, like ur self.

Cheers, and play with ur self!
Chuck
mountain lion

Postby pinkeye » 03 Feb 2020, 01:16

There is a very old saying in our culture....

Charity begins at HOME.
sleeping is good for you
pinkeye
Warthog

Postby Dax » 03 Feb 2020, 04:43

Chuck wrote:If the earth is in such a dire strait, concentrate ur angst against the countries that I’ve mentioned and forget the stupidity of the per-capita basis argument.

Always someone else's problem and not yours eh, typical denialist ideologue.
Dax
Jaguar

Postby DonDeeHippy » 03 Feb 2020, 04:54

Chuck wrote:
pinkeye wrote:wow.. now that I find incomprehensible.

Tough shit wanker.

I live SMALL not large.

U simply can’t get it thru ur head who are the biggest polluters on this Earth.

If the earth is in such a dire strait, concentrate ur angst against the countries that I’ve mentioned and forget the stupidity of the per-capita basis argument.

It is simply a distraction for gullible people like u to feel guilty!

To settle u down for the evening, I have the following response to ur name calling!

As u mentioned I have a wife and theirs is no need for me to be a wanker, like ur self.

Cheers, and play with ur self!

yup we can do nothing in our personal lives to stop polluting, instead focus on other countries that are polluting worse than us.... :OMG
Bongalong... for some reason women are just so superior to anything that ever existed or will ever exist!
DonDeeHippy
Jaguar

Postby SethBullock » 03 Feb 2020, 05:38

HBS Guy wrote:
SethBullock wrote:
HBS Guy wrote:Thank you Seth.

Australia Day is a day, to me, best spent at home. Usually it is too hot and too crowded and mad traffic on the road etc. Bit too much to drink before driving as well. And the Sunday drivers are out. You know the kind, for every bend in the road other than very wide, almost non-existent bends—they brake! If a road has a limit of, say, 100kph then, except for some well-notified bends you can take the bend at 100kph! No need to slow down! If the advisory sign says 85kph and it is not at night and no gale blowing and no water over the road etc—then you can take the bend at 100kph easy!

Some of these turkeys do like 10kph below the listed speed limit then, as soon as an overtaking lane appears, they speed up to whatever the posted limit so you can’t overtake the bastards! Grrr! Fun and games unless you are already late and have 725Km/500miles to drive! The drive Adelaide-Melbourne-Adelaide has soured my sweet nature.

Staying at home and just enjoying the day sounds good to me, and the drinks too. :beer

Lol at the slow pokes on the road.

Could be American tourists who aren't used to driving on the wrong side of the road ... :roll

I mentioned before that I watch some dash cam videos of bad drivers. . .there are quite a few, like one per video at least, driving on the wrong side of the road. Very stupid Australian drivers or drivers from countries (USA, Europe etc) that drive on the right side of the road.

It's the right side of the road because it's the right side of the road. :bgrin

But then, you live in an upside down world, so ...

I mean seriously ... Whoever heard of Christmas in summertime? Sheesh!

snowy.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
“I shall pass through this world but once. Any good that I can do or any kindness I can show to any human being, let me do it now. Let me not defer nor neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again.” - Stephen Grellet
SethBullock
Warthog

Postby HBS Guy » 03 Feb 2020, 08:32

I think that christmas cards displaying snow are finally gone from the shelves here. . .

Some people celebrate “Christmas in July” so they can enjoy the sort of meal you lot have at Christmass, a big hot dinner just not being bearable here. One Christmas Day 2-3 years ago was 40°C (well over 100°F), we had salads and cold meats etc—and a lovely big water fight after the meal: water balloons, buckets of water, garden hose etc :jump Dry again in 10 minutes.

I reckon I might try that once living in Tasmania, be close to the right temp tho too low for snow.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby Bongalong » 03 Feb 2020, 12:44

SethBullock wrote:
HBS Guy wrote:
SethBullock wrote:
HBS Guy wrote:Thank you Seth.

Australia Day is a day, to me, best spent at home. Usually it is too hot and too crowded and mad traffic on the road etc. Bit too much to drink before driving as well. And the Sunday drivers are out. You know the kind, for every bend in the road other than very wide, almost non-existent bends—they brake! If a road has a limit of, say, 100kph then, except for some well-notified bends you can take the bend at 100kph! No need to slow down! If the advisory sign says 85kph and it is not at night and no gale blowing and no water over the road etc—then you can take the bend at 100kph easy!

Some of these turkeys do like 10kph below the listed speed limit then, as soon as an overtaking lane appears, they speed up to whatever the posted limit so you can’t overtake the bastards! Grrr! Fun and games unless you are already late and have 725Km/500miles to drive! The drive Adelaide-Melbourne-Adelaide has soured my sweet nature.

Staying at home and just enjoying the day sounds good to me, and the drinks too. :beer

Lol at the slow pokes on the road.

Could be American tourists who aren't used to driving on the wrong side of the road ... :roll

I mentioned before that I watch some dash cam videos of bad drivers. . .there are quite a few, like one per video at least, driving on the wrong side of the road. Very stupid Australian drivers or drivers from countries (USA, Europe etc) that drive on the right side of the road.

It's the right side of the road because it's the right side of the road. :bgrin

But then, you live in an upside down world, so ...

I mean seriously ... Whoever heard of Christmas in summertime? Sheesh!

snowy.jpg

You just jump in the pool a lot and be very careful with the shrimps from the barbie :Hi :Hi :Hi :Hi :Hi

A real cold vitamin-beer is also much better in summer :smitten
"Oi!"
Bongalong
Warthog

Postby HBS Guy » 03 Feb 2020, 13:53

LOL, DRAH!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby Bongalong » 03 Feb 2020, 15:46

HBS Guy wrote:LOL, DRAH!

:thumb :yahoo :yahoo :yahoo :yahoo :yahoo :yahoo :yahoo :yahoo :yahoo :rofl :beer
( :beer :beer :beer :beer :beer :beer :beer :beer :beer :beer :beer :beer :beer :beer :beer :beer :beer :beer :beer :OMG :buddy )
"Oi!"
Bongalong
Warthog

Postby karlrand » 03 Feb 2020, 17:04

pinkeye wrote:Right-OH .. so we KNOW who is partially responsible for air pollution. You and YOUR WIFE FLYING all over the fucking world. You selfish cunts ( I was going to put ..u filthy English pigs .. Monty Pythonish.? ) but it isn't really funny.

Somewhat more strongly expressed than I’d dare but I agree.
The pollution caused by jet exhausts is hardly ever discussed even by Greens.
I bought up this recently with a friend who flits off to Europe to tour Great Houses, Gardens, Galleries, Opera performances etc three times a year.
His response “Nobody is going to stop me travelling overseas whenever I want”

I’m beginning to think those who think (to use the term loosely) like this cannot allow themselves to look too far into the dystopian future. It’s just too terrifying.
But what do they imagine their children are going to face?

Not to worry, the coronavirus and others to follow will dampen international travel far more than anyone’s consideration for the environment.

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/news ... vironment/
http://theconversation.com/its-time-to- ... ment-70953
https://insideclimatenews.org/news/2706 ... al-warming
karlrand
Pitbull terrier

Postby Chuck » 03 Feb 2020, 17:47

Dax wrote:
Chuck wrote:If the earth is in such a dire strait, concentrate ur angst against the countries that I’ve mentioned and forget the stupidity of the per-capita basis argument.

That is ur misconstrued conclusion!

U need to look at the whole gambit and understand the global issue, prudently trying to minimise ur impact on the environment.
If u study my comments about environmental issues on this website, u may notice that I have a greater concern then the pretext environmentalist.

Many mothers would class me as an environmental extremist with my demands for the removal of disposal nappies of the shelves in grocery stores.

Maybe, my few flights causes less pollution then most motorists on this website and the flights allow me to see who are doing the greatest damage to Mother Earth.

My wife and I are lucky to click up 4K''s per year in our car.

The biggest difference between me and others on this site, is simply the consideration of the speed of implementation of these ridiculous demands with minuscule impact overall. All it achieves is detrimental affect on the country’s economy and minimal environmental benefit.
Chuck
mountain lion

Postby Dax » 04 Feb 2020, 04:33

Chuck wrote:
Dax wrote:

That is ur misconstrued conclusion!

U need to look at the whole gambit and understand the global issue, prudently trying to minimise ur impact on the environment.
If u study my comments about environmental issues on this website, u may notice that I have a greater concern then the pretext environmentalist.

Many mothers would class me as an environmental extremist with my demands for the removal of disposal nappies of the shelves in grocery stores.

Maybe, my few flights causes less pollution then most motorists on this website and the flights allow me to see who are doing the greatest damage to Mother Earth.

My wife and I are lucky to click up 4K''s per year in our car.

The biggest difference between me and others on this site, is simply the consideration of the speed of implementation of these ridiculous demands with minuscule impact overall. All it achieves is detrimental affect on the country’s economy and minimal environmental benefit.

Good laugh, but pathetic excuse as usual. Your logic is screwed, as is your rationale. Clones always come up with it's someone else who should be doing it not me, so no one ever provides an example for others to follow, just continue the same way and leave it to the others you blame.

Have put up with this attitude for decades, which means no one will ever do anything. Luckily all the animal product eaters will succumb to the growing viruses and natures revenge, which will keep adapting until they are so formidable, they can't be stopped and then the clean out will have begun in earnest.

You expect overseas governments to do something first before doing something yourself, good luck with that insane logic. History proves over and over that those who wait for others to act, always end up as cannon fodder for whatever threatens them. Every war, epidemic or conflict, reveals the exact same attitude as yours and at the time they all approached the situation you do. Do nothing, blame everyone else and expect someone else to fix the problem before you take action. Which shows how pathetic the ideological human race is.

If everyone made the required changes to their life styles and diet, our economy would grow rapidly as we transitioned to 21st century responsive living. Rather than last century waste and abuse of nature. Claiming it would stuff the economy and do nothing for the environment, is typical of denialist ideologues. Totality against all the relevant facts.
Dax
Jaguar

Postby karlrand » 04 Feb 2020, 06:48

Dax wrote:
Chuck wrote:
Dax wrote:
Chuck wrote:
If everyone made the required changes to their life styles and diet, our economy would grow rapidly as we transitioned to 21st century responsive living. Rather than last century waste and abuse of nature. Claiming it would stuff the economy and do nothing for the environment, is typical of denialist ideologues. Totality against all the relevant facts.

All true but too simplistic. We have to ask some very serious questions about how we approach this. Take for instance the huge problem of cow farts (methane) a major gas contributing to global warming. The simple answer is we all switch to being 100% vegetarian. Well it isn’t that simple. My travels in India, where the majority of the population don’t eat the ‘sacred’ cow has millions of the poor things wandering the streets often in appalling condition . If seriously ill and in pain nobody appears to want to take these so called ‘sacred’ animals to a vet for euthanasia. To a hinddu they may have sacred value, whatever that is, and be a source of milk ( often contaminated with TB) but the appalling suffering most live under is shocking.
So, we in the West all stop eating beef and other animal flesh. What happens then to the billions of such creatures? What kind of lives are they going to have?
There’s one glimmer of hope on the horizon, research into reducing the amount of methane these animals fart into the environment.
Then there’s the other question of how to educate those raised on a diet of dead animal and anaemia. I’ve recently had the experience of having to drag a cousin along to a nutritionist two years after she’d gone totally vegan. She was suffering from severe anaemia but due to her loathing for anything resembling orthodox medicine placed herself in the ‘care’ of a quack naturopath. (OK there are a few good ones).
Thats a long rave but I’m only trying to say any moves we make to slow the acceleration towards a global warming disaster must be very carefully thought through and in a SCIENTIFIC MANNER.
karlrand
Pitbull terrier

Postby Dax » 04 Feb 2020, 08:27

karlrand wrote:All true but too simplistic. We have to ask some very serious questions about how we approach this. Take for instance the huge problem of cow farts (methane) a major gas contributing to global warming. The simple answer is we all switch to being 100% vegetarian. Well it isn’t that simple. My travels in India, where the majority of the population don’t eat the ‘sacred’ cow has millions of the poor things wandering the streets often in appalling condition . If seriously ill and in pain nobody appears to want to take these so called ‘sacred’ animals to a vet for euthanasia. To a hinddu they may have sacred value, whatever that is, and be a source of milk ( often contaminated with TB) but the appalling suffering most live under is shocking.
So, we in the West all stop eating beef and other animal flesh. What happens then to the billions of such creatures? What kind of lives are they going to have?
There’s one glimmer of hope on the horizon, research into reducing the amount of methane these animals fart into the environment.
Then there’s the other question of how to educate those raised on a diet of dead animal and anaemia. I’ve recently had the experience of having to drag a cousin along to a nutritionist two years after she’d gone totally vegan. She was suffering from severe anaemia but due to her loathing for anything resembling orthodox medicine placed herself in the ‘care’ of a quack naturopath. (OK there are a few good ones).

That's a long rave but I’m only trying to say any moves we make to slow the acceleration towards a global warming disaster must be very carefully thought through and in a SCIENTIFIC MANNER.

Yes a long rave of excuses and hypocrisy. There is only one way to reduce the methane release from cows etc, remove them completely. They are feral to Aus and unbelievably destructive, there is no other way which can work if we want to save those country and the same goes for the production of rice, cotton and other water hungry crops and industry.

Hear all these stories about how being a vegan has made people worse, yet have been as close to vegan as you can get for well over 40 years and am healthier than in my 20's, not as fit, but not far away. The problem is the corporate vested interests control both the medical profession and the sciences, even though you can find all the science based evidence yo need to support the non eating of animals products. Al clone do is follow the propaganda, never do any research other then to prop up their excuses, so never know the facts. This article today is just one of many scientific papers which say categorically that eating animals, will cause ill health and cancers. It's almost impossible to develop cancer if you don't eat animal or processed foods.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/arti ... finds.html

We've had decades to think things through, now the shit is hitting the fan and all you and everyone else can do, is make excuses and deny the truth. Which is a perfect reflection of a heavily programmed ideological clone, desperate to deny the real truth.

If we got rid of all those animals, this country would change for the better dramatically and our example may drive other sensible people around the planet may force their leaders to follow us. If people want to eat some animal products, then it should be our own native animals. Which are beneficial to the land, don't need synthetic feeding, chemicals and drugs to maintain good health and land production. which is all short term. The same goes for introduced water devouring crops, when there are many native flora and better introduced crops, that don't demand the destruction of lands and water supplies.
Last edited by Dax on 04 Feb 2020, 10:07, edited 2 times in total.
Dax
Jaguar

Postby DonDeeHippy » 04 Feb 2020, 08:31

https://www.fb.org/market-intel/agricul ... -emissions

There are two primary sources of agricultural-related greenhouse gas emissions: crop cultivation and livestock production. Since 1990, crop cultivation has represented 50 percent of agriculture-related greenhouse gas emissions while livestock production has represented approximately 42 percent of agriculture-related greenhouse gas emissions. Of livestock-related emissions, in recent years approximately two-thirds of emissions have been related to methane emissions from enteric fermentation.

Methane emissions from ruminant animals, principally cattle and sheep, represent only a quarter of all methane emissions and gross livestock emissions have a very small footprint, representing approximately 3.5 percent of greenhouse gas emissions since 1990. Furthermore, methane from livestock can be turned into an energy source through methane digesters – avoiding the emissions into the atmosphere and producing a renewable energy source.
While emissions from crop and livestock production have remained relatively flat since 1990, once the productivity gains are counted, agriculture has been on a long path to sustainability. As an example, from 1990 to 2016, total methane emissions per unit of beef and milk production declined by 10 percent and 25 percent, respectively.

So growing crops makes about the same amount of greenhouse gases as Livestock.... SO really replacing one with another just on that argument is rather futile...
One thing noted is Crop's produce a lot more CO2 than Live stock... Methane will last up to 10 years in the atmosphere, CO2 can last for hundreds of years.... SO really we all should eat less vegies if we really want to stop global Warming..... :purple
Bongalong... for some reason women are just so superior to anything that ever existed or will ever exist!
DonDeeHippy
Jaguar

Postby DonDeeHippy » 04 Feb 2020, 08:58

As you can see Rice makes more Methane than livestock.... Stop all rice production today...….. :purple
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
DonDeeHippy
Jaguar

Postby Dax » 04 Feb 2020, 09:13

Did you really read that article, from the USA farmers association and understand what it said. Don't think so, or you're more stupid that you make out. That is one heavily biased article which is flawed in fact and reality and is probably one of the only article that say the opposite to the science. But then again, clones can only see their delusion, fact and reality are not visible to them. You must have done a heap to trawling to find the one article that makes no sense, but supports your dumb denial.

Just two points, green crops, absorb CO2, not release it, which is well known scientific fact. Methane is not a good green house gas and burning it produces Co2, so you not only get the effect of methane into the atmosphere, but more Co2 when it's burnt and you have to collect all the cow and sheep shit so it can be turned into usable methane to be burnt. That collection would create even more harmful gases and you would not reducing the incidence of green house gases, just increase them dramatically.

Your ridiculous claims don't make any sense, especially as they go against the the known and proven science.

https://www.science.org.au/curious/eart ... nt/methane

"There is much more CO2 than methane in Earth’s atmosphere. However, methane’s global warming potential (GWP)—its warming potency compared to CO2—is around 30. That means it’s 30 times more effective at trapping heat in the atmosphere than CO2 over a 100-year period. So, over 100 years, adding one molecule of methane to the atmosphere would have the same effect as adding 30 molecules of CO2."

https://www.theguardian.com/environment ... -estimated

"Emissions of the greenhouse gas methane from livestock are larger than previously thought, posing an additional challenge in the fight to curb global warming, scientists have said.

Revised calculations of methane produced per head of cattle show that global livestock emissions in 2011 were 11% higher than estimates based on data from the UN’s Intergovernmental Panel for Climate Change (IPCC)."
Dax
Jaguar

PreviousNext

Return to Politics