No-one is talking about the Elephant

Discuss politics and current affairs here.

Hot topic: The scourge of negative gearing, Friends of the NBN and wrecking lives.  The economy and Poll tracking— all the polls.

Special Feature 1: Peter Costello and our current deficits.
Special Feature 2: Dr Turnbull and the wrong NBN prescription
Special Feature 3: The Denigration of science, technology and education.
Forum rules
The rules for this board are in the Charter of Moderation. Politics is for serious discussion of politics, economics and current affairs.

Re: No-one is talking about the Elephant

Postby karlrand » 04 Feb 2020, 09:49

Dax wrote:
karlrand wrote:If everyone made the required changes to their life styles and diet, our economy would grow rapidly as we transitioned to 21st century responsive living. Rather than last century waste and abuse of nature. Claiming it would stuff the economy and do nothing for the environment, is typical of denialist ideologues. Totality against all the relevant facts.
[/quote][/quote] I’ve no idea what’s going on here but the above given as a quote from me is from someone else.
All true but too simplistic. We have to ask some very serious questions about how we approach this. Take for instance the huge problem of cow farts (methane) a major gas contributing to global warming. The simple answer is we all switch to being 100% vegetarian. Well it isn’t that simple. My travels in India, where the majority of the population don’t eat the ‘sacred’ <snip- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - ->snip the destruction of lands and water supplies.
karlrand
Pitbull terrier

spamone: Animal

Postby Dax » 04 Feb 2020, 09:57

karlrand wrote:
Dax wrote:
karlrand wrote:If everyone made the required changes to their life styles and diet, our economy would grow rapidly as we transitioned to 21st century responsive living. Rather than last century waste and abuse of nature. Claiming it would stuff the economy and do nothing for the environment, is typical of denialist ideologues. Totality against all the relevant facts.
[/quote] I’ve no idea what’s going on here but the above given as a quote from me is from someone else.
All true but too simplistic. We have to ask some very serious questions about how we approach this. Take for instance the huge problem of cow farts (methane) a major gas contributing to global warming. The simple answer is we all switch to being 100% vegetarian. Well it isn’t that simple. My travels in India, where the majority of the population don’t eat the ‘sacred’ <snip- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - ->snip the destruction of lands and water supplies.
[/quote]

Apologies, that was my mistake. Got the quotes the wrong way round, didn't even check my post as dog needed a piss. What's in the quote box is from me and what is mostly below it is from karlrand. Now fixed. :thumb
Dax
Jaguar

Postby DonDeeHippy » 04 Feb 2020, 10:48

Following a steady increase up to the year 2000, concentrations stabilised, hardly increasing at all between around 2000 and 2006, probably due to a reduction in fossil fuel emissions. Now they have begun to rise again. Tropical wetlands, Arctic permafrost and the expansion in the global gas industry have all been suggested as sources for the methane increase, but no single cause has been conclusively identified.
Funny your article doesn't mention Livestock as being a reason for the increase of methane..... Most methane once in the atmosphere doesn't get burned to will not convert to C02.....
Methane is naturally removed from the atmosphere and if we stop rice farming there will not be a excess, also all the dumps around the place,.
Now just focusing on methane and not all Greenhouse gases and not comparing Live stock and Cropping together provides a distorted view .
The fact is Cropping produces more Greenhouse gasses than Livestock..... Just focusing on methane with no comparisons is a bit dodgy don't you think ? :purple
Bongalong... for some reason women are just so superior to anything that ever existed or will ever exist!
DonDeeHippy
Jaguar

Postby HBS Guy » 04 Feb 2020, 10:53

Methane oxidises to CO2 fairly quickly. What does not disappear much at all are the various HFCs/CFCs and now some cunt in China is making and emitting these damn things again. These are not strong GHGs but they hang around forever almost.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby karlrand » 04 Feb 2020, 14:54

HBS Guy wrote:Methane oxidises to CO2 fairly quickly.
And what does CO2 do?
karlrand
Pitbull terrier

Postby DonDeeHippy » 04 Feb 2020, 16:49

karlrand wrote:
And what does CO2 do?

It makes Beer Yummy :purple
Bongalong... for some reason women are just so superior to anything that ever existed or will ever exist!
DonDeeHippy
Jaguar

Postby HBS Guy » 04 Feb 2020, 17:23

CO2 absorbs IR emitted by the surface of the earth. If that IR could reach space it would cool the surface. Alas, that narsty CO2 absorbs a lot of it, becomes excited and spreads the energy it got from the IR photon to adjacent, mostly N2, molecules by intermolecular collisions—creating heat.

CO2 is to a large extent man made so CO2 causes AGW.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby karlrand » 04 Feb 2020, 18:16

HBS Guy wrote:CO2 absorbs IR emitted by the surface of the earth. If that IR could reach space it would cool the surface. Alas, that narsty CO2 absorbs a lot of it, becomes excited and spreads the energy it got from the IR photon to adjacent, mostly N2, molecules by intermolecular collisions—creating heat.

CO2 is to a large extent man made so CO2 causes AGW.

My question misfired as I thought you were attempting to downplay the dangers of methane due to it converting to CO2 which obviously you weren’t.
karlrand
Pitbull terrier

Postby HBS Guy » 04 Feb 2020, 18:19

Oh noooooo (Imagine Kenneth Williams saying that. :bgrin )
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby Bongalong » 04 Feb 2020, 18:20

karlrand wrote:
Dax wrote:
[/quote] I’ve no idea what’s going on here but the above given as a quote from me is from someone else.
[/quote]
Dodgy forum bro.... :OMG
"Oi!"
Bongalong
Warthog

Postby Bongalong » 04 Feb 2020, 18:23

karlrand wrote:
And what does CO2 do?

Warms the earth :yak yak
"Oi!"
Bongalong
Warthog

Postby Bongalong » 04 Feb 2020, 18:26

karlrand wrote:
And what does CO2 do?

Whatever Karl and idiotica want it to do :bike :bike
"Oi!"
Bongalong
Warthog

Postby pinkeye » 05 Feb 2020, 03:34

DonDeeHippy wrote:
karlrand wrote:
And what does CO2 do?

It makes Beer Yummy :purple

That's funny :bgrin :purple
sleeping is good for you
pinkeye
Warthog

Previous

Return to Politics