No-one is talking about the Elephant

Discuss politics and current affairs here.

Hot topic: The scourge of negative gearing, Friends of the NBN and wrecking lives.  The economy and Poll tracking— all the polls.

Special Feature 1: Peter Costello and our current deficits.
Special Feature 2: Dr Turnbull and the wrong NBN prescription
Special Feature 3: The Denigration of science, technology and education.
Forum rules
The rules for this board are in the Charter of Moderation. Politics is for serious discussion of politics, economics and current affairs.

No-one is talking about the Elephant

Postby pinkeye » 26 Jan 2020, 01:32

So, here we are … the 26th of January 2020

AUSTRALIA DAY.

I'm not celebrating it.. nothing to be proud of at all.

Any OTHER date would be preferrable.
sleeping is good for you
pinkeye
Warthog

spamone: Animal

Re: No-one is talking about the Elephant

Postby Dax » 26 Jan 2020, 05:14

Australia day is like xmas day, new years day and any other stupid moniker they use for holidays, all bullshit and meaningless. They are designed to make clones feel good and increase profit margins, just love them from a business perspective, but personally a good laugh at the gullibility of the masses.
Dax
Jaguar

Postby DonDeeHippy » 26 Jan 2020, 05:43

We had the talk last year about Australia day...
For our little town it's a community event where people can get together and share good times... I really don't see the problem and at the show ground in a hour there is a free breaky being made for whoever in the community wants to show up and will be welcomed into the town.... :purple
Bongalong... for some reason women are just so superior to anything that ever existed or will ever exist!
DonDeeHippy
Jaguar

Postby Lols » 26 Jan 2020, 11:17

Australia Day....to celebrate....friends/family togetherness over a BBQ and a beer, all living in the same country.
Well that’s what I thought.
Isn’t that what the forefathers fought for? This type of freedom?
Today we see just chilling out and staying home relaxing.

What does Australia Day represent? It’s a mix of feelings apparently.
I would like to be proud but it would be a hard won over pride.
Still, if we don’t stand for something, we would fall for anything.
To say hey, I live, work, pay taxes, have friends and family, good beer, good food, have freedom of speech, have Centrelink support if needed, have bulk billing medical doctors, have free public hospital, great beaches, etc (please feel free to add to list) well then, we do have a great deal of stuff to be thankful about. It can’t be all negative, I need to think of good things I’m grateful for having been born in peacetime in Australia, for my parents having gone through their perils of the 2nd WW and what they sacrificed and gave up to immigrate to Australia “for a better life” even though they worked very hard for it.

So I’m going to give thanks to all that, because, that to me personally, is what it means on Australia Day or any given day of the year. Yes there are negatives that I’m not proud of, but what country doesn’t have their negatives or dark pasts or personal racists taunts when growing up? And those that gave the racists slurs out.
Don’t think for one minute I will forget the jealous race taunts endured while while my folks were earning a “better life in Australia”.
Remember our ex PM Malcolm Fraser said “life wasn’t meant to be easy”
So, I’m not letting it all go for nothing, I will enjoy a beer, a bbq and say up yours, I’m here to stay and free to enjoy. I am Australian.
oi oi oi !
"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themsleves and wiser people so full of doubts" ~ Bertrand Russell
Lols
Irish wolfhound

Postby Chuck » 26 Jan 2020, 13:04

Lols wrote:Australia Day....to celebrate....friends/family togetherness over a BBQ and a beer, all living in the same country.
Well that’s what I thought.
Isn’t that what the forefathers fought for? This type of freedom?
Today we see just chilling out and staying home relaxing. "...............

........Don’t think for one minute I will forget the jealous race taunts endured while while my folks were earning a “better life in Australia”.
Remember our ex PM Malcolm Fraser said “life wasn’t meant to be easy”
So, I’m not letting it all go for nothing, I will enjoy a beer, a bbq and say up yours, I’m here to stay and free to enjoy. I am Australian.
oi oi oi !
I believe oi oi oi was pinched from the Welsh - pilfering is still in our genes!
In my case it was drummed into me?

This date was this continent’s evolutionary process in the ever changing world where other continents indigenous communities faced similar consequences.

Our Indigenous people should learn from the ancestors of the unwilling arrivals -convicts- who also would have grounds to dislike this date. It simply a day to recall our historical past of the creation of newer nation, with the aim to benefit everyone who calls this home.

Note, that I mentioned 'newer nation' because on this continent there were many different tribes and languages spoken.

So in effect this date should be celebrated by the Indigenous people as the Unification of the Indigenous people, with the additional benefit of a common language to communicate to one another.

The benefit of a common language has allowed the different tribes to arrive on the consensus on the design of a flag that they can rally around.

As I’ve mentioned a number of time, I like to at items of discussion from a different point of view.
Last edited by Chuck on 26 Jan 2020, 17:18, edited 1 time in total.
Chuck
mountain lion

Postby Lols » 26 Jan 2020, 15:18

Welsh eh! Well that’s proves how multi cultured we have become as a nation :buddy
And changes happen so who knows, one day the bbq meat pizza will replace the good ole Aussie meat pie as symbol oi!
BTW, I had the hubby’s DNA done via Ancestry, he has 1% aboriginal!
I really do wish more indigenous people do the DNA test, we are more connected to all sorts of ancestors than we may realise.
Happy mixed nation day!
"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themsleves and wiser people so full of doubts" ~ Bertrand Russell
Lols
Irish wolfhound

Postby Chuck » 26 Jan 2020, 19:03

pinkeye wrote:So, here we are … the 26th of January 2020

AUSTRALIA DAY.

Happy Australia Day Pinkie!

I hope u also made ur disgust to Seth, because it also happened on his continent?

The day should stay as part of our history and look forward to a brighter future for everyone.

To me, changing the date amounts to psychological destruction of our historical timeline, equivalent to obliterating Auschwitz for the hurt the past had caused on a group of people. It like relocating a replica of Auschwitz to another country!

Fortunately, we have a choice whether to celebrate this day or not, but I don’t approve in badgering people into changing their minds with protests and disruption.

I having been celebrating today and feel no guilt of past generations behaviour! :c :c :c
Chuck
mountain lion

Postby pinkeye » 26 Jan 2020, 21:32

well thanks for your posts....

we are a fledgling nation.. we, the multi-cultural Australia.

Yes the indigenous peoples, their place in their country and the very country itself were totally destroyed. We live in a desert because the Europeans arrived and wiped -out a whole viable population, and a culture, including perfect management of the land for food production, and replaced it with people that have lead us here, today. To where we are....

You do understand eh? that John Howard created Australia Day.. in 1984.?

NOT VERY LONG AGO. I was married by then. :roll

Just part of his desire to control the future of Australia. AND you know what..? To date he has succeeded.
We live in JOHN HOWARD'S AUSTRALIA. I bet he has a good chuckle whenever this matter shows up.. all he ever did was divide, and conquer.

It really should have a name.. a sort combination of fascict, conservative, autocrat, dogmatic politician.

How about

HOWARDISM... it is what our current leaders have been doing, and they are all his pups. :sad :scare
sleeping is good for you
pinkeye
Warthog

Postby DonDeeHippy » 27 Jan 2020, 05:04

The first Australia Day was established in response to Australia's involvement in World War One. In 1915, the mother of four servicemen thought up the idea of a national day, with the specific aim of raising funds for wounded soldiers, and the term was coined to stir up patriotic feelings.[30][29] In 1915 a committee to celebrate Australia Day was formed, and the date chosen was 30 July,[31] on which many fund-raising efforts were run to support the war effort.[32] It was also held in July in subsequent years of World War I: on 28 July 1916,[32] 27 July 1917,[33] and 26 July 1918.[34]
By 1935, January 26 was known as Australia Day in all states except New South Wales, where it was still called Anniversary Day. From 1946, January 26 was called Australia Day in all states and territories, and since 1994, the Australia Day public holiday has been on January 26 throughout the country.

Maybe your thinking of National Flag day

The idea of an annual day specifically celebrating the Australian National Flag dates from 1984
Prime Ministers Message
Message from Prime Minister
The Hon John Howard MP
National Flag Day
3 September 1996
In the lead-up to the Federal election in March this year, the Coalition set out our thoughts on the values, directions and policy priorities for Government.

https://www.anfa-national.org.au/histor ... -flag-day/
Bongalong... for some reason women are just so superior to anything that ever existed or will ever exist!
DonDeeHippy
Jaguar

Postby Bongalong » 27 Jan 2020, 09:51

Chuck wrote:

AUSTRALIA DAY.

I hope u also made ur disgust to Seth, because it also happened on his continent?

The day should stay as part of our history and look forward to a brighter future for everyone.

To me, changing the date amounts to psychological destruction of our historical timeline, equivalent to obliterating Auschwitz for the hurt the past had caused on a group of people. It like relocating a replica of Auschwitz to another country!

Fortunately, we have a choice whether to celebrate this day or not, but I don’t approve in badgering people into changing their minds with protests and disruption.

I having been celebrating today and feel no guilt of past generations behaviour! :c :c :c

What’s your culture chucky?
"Oi!"
Bongalong
Warthog

Postby Dax » 27 Jan 2020, 10:05

Bongalong wrote:
Chuck wrote:

AUSTRALIA DAY.

What’s your culture chucky?

Gun runner. :rofl
Dax
Jaguar

Postby SethBullock » 27 Jan 2020, 12:55

We cannot undo the past, nor are we, the living, responsible for things that were done generations ago.

Of all the souls who have lived their lives on Earth, we are among the most fortunate in so many ways.

Happy Australia Day.

Seth
“I shall pass through this world but once. Any good that I can do or any kindness I can show to any human being, let me do it now. Let me not defer nor neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again.” - Stephen Grellet
SethBullock
Warthog

Postby HBS Guy » 27 Jan 2020, 13:30

Thank you Seth.

Australia Day is a day, to me, best spent at home. Usually it is too hot and too crowded and mad traffic on the road etc. Bit too much to drink before driving as well. And the Sunday drivers are out. You know the kind, for every bend in the road other than very wide, almost non-existent bends—they brake! If a road has a limit of, say, 100kph then, except for some well-notified bends you can take the bend at 100kph! No need to slow down! If the advisory sign says 85kph and it is not at night and no gale blowing and no water over the road etc—then you can take the bend at 100kph easy!

Some of these turkeys do like 10kph below the listed speed limit then, as soon as an overtaking lane appears, they speed up to whatever the posted limit so you can’t overtake the bastards! Grrr! Fun and games unless you are already late and have 725Km/500miles to drive! The drive Adelaide-Melbourne-Adelaide has soured my sweet nature.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby SethBullock » 27 Jan 2020, 13:47

HBS Guy wrote:Thank you Seth.

Australia Day is a day, to me, best spent at home. Usually it is too hot and too crowded and mad traffic on the road etc. Bit too much to drink before driving as well. And the Sunday drivers are out. You know the kind, for every bend in the road other than very wide, almost non-existent bends—they brake! If a road has a limit of, say, 100kph then, except for some well-notified bends you can take the bend at 100kph! No need to slow down! If the advisory sign says 85kph and it is not at night and no gale blowing and no water over the road etc—then you can take the bend at 100kph easy!

Some of these turkeys do like 10kph below the listed speed limit then, as soon as an overtaking lane appears, they speed up to whatever the posted limit so you can’t overtake the bastards! Grrr! Fun and games unless you are already late and have 725Km/500miles to drive! The drive Adelaide-Melbourne-Adelaide has soured my sweet nature.

Staying at home and just enjoying the day sounds good to me, and the drinks too. :beer

Lol at the slow pokes on the road.

Could be American tourists who aren't used to driving on the wrong side of the road ... :roll
“I shall pass through this world but once. Any good that I can do or any kindness I can show to any human being, let me do it now. Let me not defer nor neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again.” - Stephen Grellet
SethBullock
Warthog

Postby Chuck » 27 Jan 2020, 14:16

Dax wrote:Gun runner. :rofl
Yep! Irish-America, used to supply guns to the IRA.

Maybe we should resurrect the business with u as a partner.

Considering that 20% of our residents are Chinese and many are pro-Beijing supporters.

Yet, none of these have ever heard of Koala's being eaten on the mainland.

They have a reputation of how well they treat their indigenous people under their control!

I wonder what the future holds for our indigenous people with our demographics changing so quickly.
Chuck
mountain lion

Postby greggerypeccary » 27 Jan 2020, 15:11

Dax wrote:Australia day is like xmas day, new years day and any other stupid moniker they use for holidays, all bullshit and meaningless. They are designed to make clones feel good and increase profit margins, just love them from a business perspective, but personally a good laugh at the gullibility of the masses.

Yep.

It's all crap.

Can't disagree.
greggerypeccary
Warthog

Postby Chuck » 27 Jan 2020, 15:14

SethBullock wrote:We cannot undo the past, nor are we, the living, responsible for things that were done generations ago.

Of all the souls who have lived their lives on Earth, we are among the most fortunate in so many ways.

Happy Australia Day.

Seth
It is difficult to get such a simple message to those who choose not to listen or are gullible.

What was a global trend of mistreating indigenous people throughout the world is segmented or presented as a unique local issue.

Here, if the urban Aboriginals keep badgering people into submission with guilt to changed the date, that won’t be the end of the story!

It still won’t placate them, as it will give them an opportunity too monetise on the pain and mental suffering from other people celebrating the 26 Jan for so many years.

A country’s historical record should consist of the good, bad and the ugly side of human behaviour. The bad part of a nation history shouldn’t be removed or date change simply because of the hurt that was perpetrated by previous generations.

I’m not an American, - just shit stirring DAX - but my personal opinion of the push to remove a statue of a Confederal General in Carolina is wrong, because of the injustice perpetuated on the Negro population during that part of the US history.

It would be a mistake, and It should be a visual symbol to any young negro child of what people can do to one another.
Chuck
mountain lion

Postby Chuck » 27 Jan 2020, 15:36

Bongalong wrote:What’s your culture chucky?
This may give u a clue - the 27 Jan is the 75 Anniversary of Auschwitz!

To be honest, I don’t really kno what is my culture.

All I can say is what I been told by what I believe were my parents.

When I joined the Royal Australian Airforce, a statutory declaration was my birth certificate!

People in those days were very secretive about any disclosures.

My wife and adult kiddies want me to do a DNA test before I kick the bucket.
Chuck
mountain lion

Postby johnsmith » 27 Jan 2020, 16:24

i took the boys camping in yamba .... Australia day is a great day ... although i wouldn't care what date they have it,and see no reason to not change it if part of our population feels like this day celebrates the day they were invaded
FD.
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.
johnsmith
Mastodon

Postby pinkeye » 27 Jan 2020, 21:13

agree JS.
sleeping is good for you
pinkeye
Warthog

Postby pinkeye » 28 Jan 2020, 00:54

So it's over for another year.

I have noticed a strange thing happening, lately , in interviews with people on the teev.

It seems some people think we live in Auschtralia.

It's schtrange, how schtrong this seems to be. This apparent trend is getting schtronger.!!

I have heard this TOO often to ignore it.

It does seem most typical of young sporty people.
Umm . anyone else wonder about this. ?
I mean you wouldn't say the United Schtates of America,, or ??

How come our young don't know how to name their own country , properly. ?

It is AUSTRalia
Not AUSCHTRALIA.

Is there a message here, we aren't hearing..? Or is it simply an example of how poorly we educate our children, here in AUSTRALIA.?
sleeping is good for you
pinkeye
Warthog

Postby HBS Guy » 28 Jan 2020, 15:09

SethBullock wrote:
HBS Guy wrote:Thank you Seth.

Staying at home and just enjoying the day sounds good to me, and the drinks too. :beer

Lol at the slow pokes on the road.

Could be American tourists who aren't used to driving on the wrong side of the road ... :roll

I mentioned before that I watch some dash cam videos of bad drivers. . .there are quite a few, like one per video at least, driving on the wrong side of the road. Very stupid Australian drivers or drivers from countries (USA, Europe etc) that drive on the right side of the road.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 29 Jan 2020, 08:04

Sport/sporty people don’t read or engage in intellektooal activity.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby pinkeye » 30 Jan 2020, 00:55

DonDeeHippy wrote:The first Australia Day was established in response to Australia's involvement in World War One. In 1915, the mother of four servicemen thought up the idea of a national day, with the specific aim of raising funds for wounded soldiers, and the term was coined to stir up patriotic feelings.[30][29] In 1915 a committee to celebrate Australia Day was formed, and the date chosen was 30 July,[31] on which many fund-raising efforts were run to support the war effort.[32] It was also held in July in subsequent years of World War I: on 28 July 1916,[32] 27 July 1917,[33] and 26 July 1918.[34]
By 1935, January 26 was known as Australia Day in all states except New South Wales, where it was still called Anniversary Day. From 1946, January 26 was called Australia Day in all states and territories, and since 1994, the Australia Day public holiday has been on January 26 throughout the country.

Maybe your thinking of National Flag day

The idea of an annual day specifically celebrating the Australian National Flag dates from 1984
Prime Ministers Message
Message from Prime Minister
The Hon John Howard MP
National Flag Day
3 September 1996
In the lead-up to the Federal election in March this year, the Coalition set out our thoughts on the values, directions and policy priorities for Government.

https://www.anfa-national.org.au/histor ... -flag-day/

A SLY fox was Howard.
sleeping is good for you
pinkeye
Warthog

Postby pinkeye » 30 Jan 2020, 01:00

Chuck wrote:
Dax wrote:Gun runner. :rofl
Yep! Irish-America, used to supply guns to the IRA.

Maybe we should resurrect the business with u as a partner.

Considering that 20% of our residents are Chinese and many are pro-Beijing supporters.

Yet, none of these have ever heard of Koala's being eaten on the mainland.

They have a reputation of how well they treat their indigenous people under their control!

I wonder what the future holds for our indigenous people with our demographics changing so quickly.

Me Too.
sleeping is good for you
pinkeye
Warthog

Next

Return to Politics