Should we ban second home ownership?

Discuss politics and current affairs here.

Hot topic: The scourge of negative gearing, Friends of the NBN and wrecking lives.  The economy and Poll tracking— all the polls.

Special Feature 1: Peter Costello and our current deficits.
Special Feature 2: Dr Turnbull and the wrong NBN prescription
Special Feature 3: The Denigration of science, technology and education.
.
Forum rules
The rules for this board are in the Charter of Moderation. Politics is for serious discussion of politics, economics and current affairs.

Re: Should we ban second home ownership?

Postby johnsmith » 10 Jan 2020, 20:28

that'll get goober salivating :c :c
FD.
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.
User avatar
johnsmith
Mastodon
 
Posts: 9672
Joined: 25 Sep 2017, 21:39
spamone: Animal

Re: Should we ban second home ownership?

Postby greggerypeccary » 10 Jan 2020, 20:31

johnsmith wrote:that'll get goober salivating :c :c


Yeah.

I thought of that after I posted it :bgrin
User avatar
greggerypeccary
Warthog
 
Posts: 4761
Joined: 27 Sep 2017, 14:52
spamone: Animal

Re: Should we ban second home ownership?

Postby DonDeeHippy » 11 Jan 2020, 05:36

greggerypeccary wrote:
johnsmith wrote:
greggerypeccary wrote:
johnsmith wrote:
greggerypeccary wrote:I see no reason for people to own two homes.


Security?
Income?
their kids?

there's 3


Greed.

There's 4.


if greed was a reason for banning things we'd ban everything


Not true.

Nothing I do in an average day is motivated by greed.

Not one single thing.

Greed is NOT good, no matter what movies from the '80s might tell you.

Really ? How many guitars do you have ? :purple
Bongalong... for some reason women are just so superior to anything that ever existed or will ever exist!
User avatar
DonDeeHippy
Jaguar
 
Posts: 2256
Joined: 25 Apr 2018, 20:18
spamone: Animal

Re: Should we ban second home ownership?

Postby Auggie » 11 Jan 2020, 08:50

Bam wrote:
Auggie wrote:
DonDeeHippy wrote:So you want to change the whole idea of capitalism ? Do we also stop any venture being able to claim expenses ? After all negative gearing is just having your income and expenses equalling out, it's fine saying you want to ban it. What is to stop someone investing in multiple companies and ding the same thing. Penalising someone for getting ahead in life is a slippery slope.
The real baddies are corporations, they are a law unto them selves, basically a mini country, no accountability, get rid of them and we can see real change to our economy.... :purple


We should nationalise all mining and resource companies in Australia without compensation.

The Constitution expressly forbids it. Section 51(xxxi): "the acquisition of property on just terms from any State or person for any purpose in respect of which the Parliament has power to make laws". Nationalisation without compensation is unjust.


That limitation applies only to the Commonwealth, not to the States.
Apart from chattel slavery, Jim Crow, John C Calhoun, the Robber Barons, the Civil War, George Wallace, segregation, Ronald Reagan, violent crime, serial killers and Donald Trump, what makes America the shittest nation on earth?
Auggie
Pain in the Butt
 
Posts: 2338
Joined: 02 Oct 2017, 17:05
spamone: Animal

Re: Should we ban second home ownership?

Postby Auggie » 11 Jan 2020, 08:51

SethBullock wrote:
Auggie wrote:
SethBullock wrote:
Auggie wrote:What do you think?

Should we ban second home ownership? Those who own more than one property at the implementation of the law would be required to sell their second and third etc. homes to the state.


At full market value?

If so, wouldn't that create a building boom at the government's expense? How would the government pay for that? Higher taxes on everyone I suspect.


Nah, we'd just march the police into people's homes and take from them by force. No compensation.

Think of it as a donation to society.


That sounds like Russia after the communist revolution, doesn't it?


No, because we wouldn't kill anybody.
Apart from chattel slavery, Jim Crow, John C Calhoun, the Robber Barons, the Civil War, George Wallace, segregation, Ronald Reagan, violent crime, serial killers and Donald Trump, what makes America the shittest nation on earth?
Auggie
Pain in the Butt
 
Posts: 2338
Joined: 02 Oct 2017, 17:05
spamone: Animal

Re: Should we ban second home ownership?

Postby DonDeeHippy » 11 Jan 2020, 09:39

Auggie wrote:
SethBullock wrote:
Auggie wrote:
SethBullock wrote:
Auggie wrote:What do you think?

Should we ban second home ownership? Those who own more than one property at the implementation of the law would be required to sell their second and third etc. homes to the state.


At full market value?

If so, wouldn't that create a building boom at the government's expense? How would the government pay for that? Higher taxes on everyone I suspect.


Nah, we'd just march the police into people's homes and take from them by force. No compensation.

Think of it as a donation to society.


That sounds like Russia after the communist revolution, doesn't it?


No, because we wouldn't kill anybody.

We would if we got to the stage of taking property off of people because we decide they are greedy..... :purple
Bongalong... for some reason women are just so superior to anything that ever existed or will ever exist!
User avatar
DonDeeHippy
Jaguar
 
Posts: 2256
Joined: 25 Apr 2018, 20:18
spamone: Animal

Re: Should we ban second home ownership?

Postby greggerypeccary » 11 Jan 2020, 09:42

DonDeeHippy wrote:
greggerypeccary wrote:
johnsmith wrote:
greggerypeccary wrote:
johnsmith wrote:
greggerypeccary wrote:I see no reason for people to own two homes.


Security?
Income?
their kids?

there's 3


Greed.

There's 4.


if greed was a reason for banning things we'd ban everything


Not true.

Nothing I do in an average day is motivated by greed.

Not one single thing.

Greed is NOT good, no matter what movies from the '80s might tell you.

Really ? How many guitars do you have ? :purple


Too many to count.

And, I will never sell any of them.

So, it has nothing to do with greed.

Quite the opposite, in fact - they're sending me broke.
User avatar
greggerypeccary
Warthog
 
Posts: 4761
Joined: 27 Sep 2017, 14:52
spamone: Animal

Re: Should we ban second home ownership?

Postby Auggie » 11 Jan 2020, 10:25

DonDeeHippy wrote:
Auggie wrote:
SethBullock wrote:
Auggie wrote:
SethBullock wrote:
Auggie wrote:What do you think?

Should we ban second home ownership? Those who own more than one property at the implementation of the law would be required to sell their second and third etc. homes to the state.


At full market value?

If so, wouldn't that create a building boom at the government's expense? How would the government pay for that? Higher taxes on everyone I suspect.


Nah, we'd just march the police into people's homes and take from them by force. No compensation.

Think of it as a donation to society.


That sounds like Russia after the communist revolution, doesn't it?


No, because we wouldn't kill anybody.

We would if we got to the stage of taking property off of people because we decide they are greedy..... :purple


People would protest and probably riot, but eventually they'd have to return to work and get on with life.
Apart from chattel slavery, Jim Crow, John C Calhoun, the Robber Barons, the Civil War, George Wallace, segregation, Ronald Reagan, violent crime, serial killers and Donald Trump, what makes America the shittest nation on earth?
Auggie
Pain in the Butt
 
Posts: 2338
Joined: 02 Oct 2017, 17:05
spamone: Animal

Re: Should we ban second home ownership?

Postby SethBullock » 11 Jan 2020, 11:03

Auggie wrote:
SethBullock wrote:
Auggie wrote:
SethBullock wrote:
Auggie wrote:What do you think?

Should we ban second home ownership? Those who own more than one property at the implementation of the law would be required to sell their second and third etc. homes to the state.


At full market value?

If so, wouldn't that create a building boom at the government's expense? How would the government pay for that? Higher taxes on everyone I suspect.


Nah, we'd just march the police into people's homes and take from them by force. No compensation.

Think of it as a donation to society.


That sounds like Russia after the communist revolution, doesn't it?


No, because we wouldn't kill anybody.


Oh really? What if they fought for their property?
“I shall pass through this world but once. Any good that I can do or any kindness I can show to any human being, let me do it now. Let me not defer nor neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again.” - Stephen Grellet
User avatar
SethBullock
Warthog
 
Posts: 2636
Joined: 22 Oct 2018, 12:37
Location: Oregon, USA
spamone: Animal

Re: Should we ban second home ownership?

Postby johnsmith » 11 Jan 2020, 11:18

Auggie wrote:but eventually they'd have to return to work and get on with life.


why? you've just shown them that years of hard work don't pay off. :roll
FD.
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.
User avatar
johnsmith
Mastodon
 
Posts: 9672
Joined: 25 Sep 2017, 21:39
spamone: Animal

Re: Should we ban second home ownership?

Postby Auggie » 11 Jan 2020, 11:38

johnsmith wrote:
Auggie wrote:but eventually they'd have to return to work and get on with life.


why? you've just shown them that years of hard work don't pay off. :roll


People don't need a second property to be well-off or to have 'hard work' pay off.
Apart from chattel slavery, Jim Crow, John C Calhoun, the Robber Barons, the Civil War, George Wallace, segregation, Ronald Reagan, violent crime, serial killers and Donald Trump, what makes America the shittest nation on earth?
Auggie
Pain in the Butt
 
Posts: 2338
Joined: 02 Oct 2017, 17:05
spamone: Animal

Re: Should we ban second home ownership?

Postby Auggie » 11 Jan 2020, 11:39

SethBullock wrote:
Auggie wrote:
SethBullock wrote:
Auggie wrote:
SethBullock wrote:
Auggie wrote:What do you think?

Should we ban second home ownership? Those who own more than one property at the implementation of the law would be required to sell their second and third etc. homes to the state.


At full market value?

If so, wouldn't that create a building boom at the government's expense? How would the government pay for that? Higher taxes on everyone I suspect.


Nah, we'd just march the police into people's homes and take from them by force. No compensation.

Think of it as a donation to society.


That sounds like Russia after the communist revolution, doesn't it?


No, because we wouldn't kill anybody.


Oh really? What if they fought for their property?


We'd use water canons and rubber bullets until they gave up.
Apart from chattel slavery, Jim Crow, John C Calhoun, the Robber Barons, the Civil War, George Wallace, segregation, Ronald Reagan, violent crime, serial killers and Donald Trump, what makes America the shittest nation on earth?
Auggie
Pain in the Butt
 
Posts: 2338
Joined: 02 Oct 2017, 17:05
spamone: Animal

Re: Should we ban second home ownership?

Postby johnsmith » 11 Jan 2020, 11:44

Auggie wrote:
johnsmith wrote:
Auggie wrote:but eventually they'd have to return to work and get on with life.


why? you've just shown them that years of hard work don't pay off. :roll


People don't need a second property to be well-off or to have 'hard work' pay off.


that's not for you to decide. Besides, you missed my point. If I work 20 years to pay off a second home and you take it off me by force, why would I go back to work? just so you can rip me off in another 20 years?
FD.
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.
User avatar
johnsmith
Mastodon
 
Posts: 9672
Joined: 25 Sep 2017, 21:39
spamone: Animal

Re: Should we ban second home ownership?

Postby johnsmith » 11 Jan 2020, 11:45

Auggie wrote:We'd use water canons and rubber bullets until they gave up.



you watch to much tv.
FD.
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.
User avatar
johnsmith
Mastodon
 
Posts: 9672
Joined: 25 Sep 2017, 21:39
spamone: Animal

Re: Should we ban second home ownership?

Postby Auggie » 11 Jan 2020, 11:54

johnsmith wrote:
Auggie wrote:
johnsmith wrote:
Auggie wrote:but eventually they'd have to return to work and get on with life.


why? you've just shown them that years of hard work don't pay off. :roll


People don't need a second property to be well-off or to have 'hard work' pay off.


that's not for you to decide. Besides, you missed my point. If I work 20 years to pay off a second home and you take it off me by force, why would I go back to work? just so you can rip me off in another 20 years?


I'm only kidding. I wouldn't do or support any of this. I'm just bullshitting around.

:gup :gup :gup :gup :gup :gup
Apart from chattel slavery, Jim Crow, John C Calhoun, the Robber Barons, the Civil War, George Wallace, segregation, Ronald Reagan, violent crime, serial killers and Donald Trump, what makes America the shittest nation on earth?
Auggie
Pain in the Butt
 
Posts: 2338
Joined: 02 Oct 2017, 17:05
spamone: Animal

Re: Should we ban second home ownership?

Postby Auggie » 11 Jan 2020, 11:54

johnsmith wrote:
Auggie wrote:We'd use water canons and rubber bullets until they gave up.



you watch to much tv.


:beer :beer :beer :beer
Apart from chattel slavery, Jim Crow, John C Calhoun, the Robber Barons, the Civil War, George Wallace, segregation, Ronald Reagan, violent crime, serial killers and Donald Trump, what makes America the shittest nation on earth?
Auggie
Pain in the Butt
 
Posts: 2338
Joined: 02 Oct 2017, 17:05
spamone: Animal

Re: Should we ban second home ownership?

Postby DonDeeHippy » 11 Jan 2020, 13:54

greggerypeccary wrote:
DonDeeHippy wrote:
greggerypeccary wrote:
johnsmith wrote:
greggerypeccary wrote:I see no reason for people to own two homes.


Security?
Income?
their kids?

there's 3

Greed.

There's 4.

if greed was a reason for banning things we'd ban everything


Not true.

Nothing I do in an average day is motivated by greed.

Not one single thing.

Greed is NOT good, no matter what movies from the '80s might tell you.

Really ? How many guitars do you have ? :purple


Too many to count.

And, I will never sell any of them.

So, it has nothing to do with greed.

Quite the opposite, in fact - they're sending me broke.

You don't really understand the meaning of greed do you (hoarding is still greed) ? :tweed
Bongalong... for some reason women are just so superior to anything that ever existed or will ever exist!
User avatar
DonDeeHippy
Jaguar
 
Posts: 2256
Joined: 25 Apr 2018, 20:18
spamone: Animal

Re: Should we ban second home ownership?

Postby Lols » 12 Jan 2020, 22:12

DonDeeHippy wrote:
greggerypeccary wrote:
DonDeeHippy wrote:
greggerypeccary wrote:
johnsmith wrote:
greggerypeccary wrote:I see no reason for people to own two homes.


Security?
Income?
their kids?

there's 3

Greed.

There's 4.

if greed was a reason for banning things we'd ban everything


Not true.

Nothing I do in an average day is motivated by greed.

Not one single thing.

Greed is NOT good, no matter what movies from the '80s might tell you.

Really ? How many guitars do you have ? :purple


Too many to count.

And, I will never sell any of them.

So, it has nothing to do with greed.

Quite the opposite, in fact - they're sending me broke.

You don't really understand the meaning of greed do you (hoarding is still greed) ? :tweed


Hoarding....hmmmm, let me think about that.
There are some that have an illness with hoarding and we see those houses with newspaper, and all sorts of junk to the rafters in each room.
Then it could be a need to feel good about buying bits and bobs. My elderly mother was a keepsake type person, it meant history for her, but then in her later years she didn’t realise how much soap she was buying, or dressing gowns and so forth.
She went out once a week and bought a little something for cheeriness, not greed. She held on to things, but I don’t consider that a act of greed. She grew up in war time and had nothing nice back then.
I like stuff, books, cookware, crystals, shoes, clothes, it’s irresistible when that word “sale” is up!
We have been brainwashed by tv ads to buy buy buy, consumerism.
I have recognised this of late and avoid any of those shops where I don’t need anything from them I already have.

We have 3 cars between us, one is his, one is mine, and then the classic 1959 Cadillac on club reg.
Is that greed? Or just an enjoyment to our lives?

I am going through an uncluttering stage and giving things away to friends and op shops.

The hubby likes tractors, machinery etc and he uses them on the property, he maintains them for years, he is a mechanic so it’s easy to keep our cars and machinery for years without having to buy the latest.

Also I like collecting LP records. Have been doing so for decades before they became popular and sought after of late.
We both like collectable Star Wars and Star Trek stuff. I bought R2D2 and a couple storm troopers as garden gnomes recently!
Went into this IGA store to try bread and milk, and see them there, reduced from $30 down to $10 each. I bought 3 and left 4 behind for others to buy.

So there’s my hoarding story.
We have 3 different size trailers, my hubby made the tandem trailer some 35 years ago, we like to be independent, we either buy or make what we need, we never borrow.
Yet, everyone keeps asking to borrow our trailers!
I get cross with hubby for that.
We get it back a bit in need of straightening where bent etc.
Well it’s been gone for almost 6 weeks now, our tandem, a friend is using is to take his stuff from a property he sold to his new abode, 2 hours away.
Hubby needs it back now, but nope, our friend had pleurisy now, unwell for next 3 weeks,
Looks like we have to drive 2 hours to go get it now.
So what’s greed again?
"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themsleves and wiser people so full of doubts" ~ Bertrand Russell
User avatar
Lols
Irish wolfhound
 
Posts: 621
Joined: 10 Jun 2014, 23:58
spamone: Animal

Re: Should we ban second home ownership?

Postby pinkeye » 12 Jan 2020, 22:50

johnsmith wrote:
Auggie wrote:We'd use water canons and rubber bullets until they gave up.



you watch to much tv.


Sorry can't help but please..... when your vocal emphasis is on the TO, in that short sentence it should be spelt TOO... the speech emphasis dictates the spelling. Too much TV.

as opposed …. I'm going to the shops.
TO, because you don't emphasize the word ….to.

I'm going to bed.

I have had TOO much food.

I have to eat.

I need to catch an Uber.

That Uber driver was too chatty.

I went to University.

I don't want to go.

It was too hard for me.

I can go on and on giving you examples of the easiest way to decide.. :bgrin but that might be too annoying.
sleeping is good for you
User avatar
pinkeye
Warthog
 
Posts: 4639
Joined: 01 Oct 2017, 20:59
spamone: Animal

Re: Should we ban second home ownership?

Postby DonDeeHippy » 13 Jan 2020, 06:28

greed
a very strong wish to continuously get more of something

As you say Lols we live in a society that encourages buying and more buying of stuff we already have.
I guess addiction would be another word for greed.
As far as owning more than one house is concerned yes it could be just greed but as John pointed out there are many reasons people want possessions. Security probably being the highest motivator . I think we can all get a bit fearful of what the future will bring and working towards monetary independence isn't really greed.
Pride is another big contender "I can do it myself" or "I don't need anyone's help" or even "Look at me is so successful". None of these reasons have anything to do with greed .
Anyone that has possessions that can fulfil their needs but need more are greedy... Not a bad thing , id say a survival trait but to deny that is delusional…..
Maybe the Skyhooks should of done a follow up song "Greed is not a dirty word"
:purple
Bongalong... for some reason women are just so superior to anything that ever existed or will ever exist!
User avatar
DonDeeHippy
Jaguar
 
Posts: 2256
Joined: 25 Apr 2018, 20:18
spamone: Animal

Re: Should we ban second home ownership?

Postby DonDeeHippy » 13 Jan 2020, 06:41

greggerypeccary wrote:
DonDeeHippy wrote:
greggerypeccary wrote:
johnsmith wrote:
greggerypeccary wrote:I see no reason for people to own two homes.


Security?
Income?
their kids?

there's 3

Greed.

There's 4.


if greed was a reason for banning things we'd ban everything


Not true.

Nothing I do in an average day is motivated by greed.

Not one single thing.

Greed is NOT good, no matter what movies from the '80s might tell you.

Really ? How many guitars do you have ? :purple


Too many to count.

And, I will never sell any of them.

So, it has nothing to do with greed.

Quite the opposite, in fact - they're sending me broke.

Greed is an inordinate desire to acquire or possess more than one needs. SO how many guitars can you play at once,
Look at what you said if we replace guitars for houses...…..
Greg How many houses do you own ?

Too many to count.

And, I will never sell any of them.

So, it has nothing to do with greed.

:grn
Bongalong... for some reason women are just so superior to anything that ever existed or will ever exist!
User avatar
DonDeeHippy
Jaguar
 
Posts: 2256
Joined: 25 Apr 2018, 20:18
spamone: Animal

Re: Should we ban second home ownership?

Postby greggerypeccary » 13 Jan 2020, 08:09

DonDeeHippy wrote:
greggerypeccary wrote:
DonDeeHippy wrote:
greggerypeccary wrote:
johnsmith wrote:
greggerypeccary wrote:I see no reason for people to own two homes.


Security?
Income?
their kids?

there's 3

Greed.

There's 4.


if greed was a reason for banning things we'd ban everything


Not true.

Nothing I do in an average day is motivated by greed.

Not one single thing.

Greed is NOT good, no matter what movies from the '80s might tell you.

Really ? How many guitars do you have ? :purple


Too many to count.

And, I will never sell any of them.

So, it has nothing to do with greed.

Quite the opposite, in fact - they're sending me broke.

Greed is an inordinate desire to acquire or possess more than one needs. SO how many guitars can you play at once,
Look at what you said if we replace guitars for houses...…..
Greg How many houses do you own ?

Too many to count.

And, I will never sell any of them.

So, it has nothing to do with greed.

:grn


People buy extra houses for profit.

I don't buy guitars to profit.

I buy them for enjoyment.

If someone buys a second or third house and then lets people stay in them rent free, then that's not greed.

But, how many people do that?

With my guitars, I actually give some away after a period of time.

I've given away thousands of dollars worth of guitars over the years.

I do it purely for the thrill of the chase, and the joy of gifting them to other people in the future.

The day I see mum & dad home owners buying houses and giving them away, or letting people stay in them for free, I'll change my mind about whether it's greed or not.
User avatar
greggerypeccary
Warthog
 
Posts: 4761
Joined: 27 Sep 2017, 14:52
spamone: Animal

Re: Should we ban second home ownership?

Postby DonDeeHippy » 13 Jan 2020, 08:36

Greed is an inordinate desire to acquire or possess more than one needs. You can justify all you want doesn't change the facts :)

So you don't have any money put away for your retirement ?...… How is a self funded retiree being greedy when they are not receiving a pension , That to me is the opposite and instead of burdening our country and society they are being self sufficient... How is a self funded retiree Greedy ?
Don't mistake someone who has done well for themselves and have enough money to retire with someone that is just greedy.

Just out of curiosity what do you think someone who is good with their money should do with it ?

Why should someone work really hard a sacrifice their time ,body and mind and then give their toils to someone that couldn't be bothered ?

Do we just throw away Capitalism and go communal ? :purple
Bongalong... for some reason women are just so superior to anything that ever existed or will ever exist!
User avatar
DonDeeHippy
Jaguar
 
Posts: 2256
Joined: 25 Apr 2018, 20:18
spamone: Animal

Re: Should we ban second home ownership?

Postby greggerypeccary » 13 Jan 2020, 09:08

DonDeeHippy wrote:
Do we just throw away Capitalism and go communal ? :purple


Sounds good to me.
User avatar
greggerypeccary
Warthog
 
Posts: 4761
Joined: 27 Sep 2017, 14:52
spamone: Animal

Re: Should we ban second home ownership?

Postby DonDeeHippy » 13 Jan 2020, 09:16

greggerypeccary wrote:
DonDeeHippy wrote:
Do we just throw away Capitalism and go communal ? :purple


Sounds good to me.

you will only be allocated one Guitar choose wisely :thumb
Bongalong... for some reason women are just so superior to anything that ever existed or will ever exist!
User avatar
DonDeeHippy
Jaguar
 
Posts: 2256
Joined: 25 Apr 2018, 20:18
spamone: Animal

PreviousNext

Return to Politics

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests

cron