Should we ban second home ownership?

Discuss politics and current affairs here.

Hot topic: The scourge of negative gearing, Friends of the NBN and wrecking lives.  The economy and Poll tracking— all the polls.

Special Feature 1: Peter Costello and our current deficits.
Special Feature 2: Dr Turnbull and the wrong NBN prescription
Special Feature 3: The Denigration of science, technology and education.
.
Forum rules
The rules for this board are in the Charter of Moderation. Politics is for serious discussion of politics, economics and current affairs.

Re: Should we ban second home ownership?

Postby greggerypeccary » 13 Jan 2020, 09:30

DonDeeHippy wrote:
greggerypeccary wrote:
DonDeeHippy wrote:
Do we just throw away Capitalism and go communal ? :purple


Sounds good to me.

you will only be allocated one Guitar choose wisely :thumb


'63 Fender Strat, with a rosewood fingerboard.

http://www.vintageelectricguitars.com.au/product/1963-fender-stratocaster/

Image
User avatar
greggerypeccary
Warthog
 
Posts: 4761
Joined: 27 Sep 2017, 14:52
spamone: Animal

Re: Should we ban second home ownership?

Postby Dax » 13 Jan 2020, 10:58

My company owns a lot of houses, buy a new one just about every time I go travelling in Aus. Unlike most, buy cheap rural houses, do them up and sell or rent them out for an affordable price. Most of our rural and country town properties, end up with tenecy schemes, which provide low cost housing to those in need. Much better than using expensive agents and they look after the homes very well, plus keeps people of the streets, which from my own experience is not a goof way to live.
User avatar
Dax
Jaguar
 
Posts: 1553
Joined: 12 Apr 2017, 11:15
spamone: Animal

Re: Should we ban second home ownership?

Postby pinkeye » 15 Jan 2020, 02:07

Well good for you DAX. Glad you're back.. you always have something interesting to say.
sleeping is good for you
User avatar
pinkeye
Warthog
 
Posts: 4639
Joined: 01 Oct 2017, 20:59
spamone: Animal

Re: Should we ban second home ownership?

Postby pinkeye » 15 Jan 2020, 02:16

greggerypeccary wrote:
DonDeeHippy wrote:
greggerypeccary wrote:
DonDeeHippy wrote:
Do we just throw away Capitalism and go communal ? :purple


Sounds good to me.

you will only be allocated one Guitar choose wisely :thumb


'63 Fender Strat, with a rosewood fingerboard.

http://www.vintageelectricguitars.com.au/product/1963-fender-stratocaster/

Image



Jeez JS

you remind me of my younger years.

Back BEFORE the INTERNET.

I was sharing a house with a girlfriend of mine of long standing. She had split from her husband, .. and she had a guitar as a result.

It was a Stratocaster. It really was a beautiful object I wasn't that familiar with it tho.

She decided to sell it... NO internt back then . so she put an advert in the local paper .. For Sale.

WELL .. you know what happened ?? yeah// someone came to view it... .

Not long later, we came home to a house that had been burgled. The Strat was gone.

There wasn't much else for them to steal, so ..?? live and learn.
sleeping is good for you
User avatar
pinkeye
Warthog
 
Posts: 4639
Joined: 01 Oct 2017, 20:59
spamone: Animal

Re: Should we ban second home ownership?

Postby johnsmith » 15 Jan 2020, 20:11

pinkeye wrote:
Jeez JS


you mean Greg.

I couldn't play guitar if my life depended on it

besides, that's the wifes job
FD.
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.
User avatar
johnsmith
Mastodon
 
Posts: 9670
Joined: 25 Sep 2017, 21:39
spamone: Animal

Re: Should we ban second home ownership?

Postby greggerypeccary » 15 Jan 2020, 20:36

pinkeye wrote:
greggerypeccary wrote:
DonDeeHippy wrote:
greggerypeccary wrote:
DonDeeHippy wrote:
Do we just throw away Capitalism and go communal ? :purple


Sounds good to me.

you will only be allocated one Guitar choose wisely :thumb


'63 Fender Strat, with a rosewood fingerboard.

http://www.vintageelectricguitars.com.au/product/1963-fender-stratocaster/

Image



Jeez JS

you remind me of my younger years.

Back BEFORE the INTERNET.

I was sharing a house with a girlfriend of mine of long standing. She had split from her husband, .. and she had a guitar as a result.

It was a Stratocaster. It really was a beautiful object I wasn't that familiar with it tho.

She decided to sell it... NO internt back then . so she put an advert in the local paper .. For Sale.

WELL .. you know what happened ?? yeah// someone came to view it... .

Not long later, we came home to a house that had been burgled. The Strat was gone.

There wasn't much else for them to steal, so ..?? live and learn.


Indeed.

That's another reason I never sell my guitars.

I've sold two in my life (out of dozens), and that was to a guitar shop (and I took the guitars to THEM).
User avatar
greggerypeccary
Warthog
 
Posts: 4761
Joined: 27 Sep 2017, 14:52
spamone: Animal

Re: Should we ban second home ownership?

Postby Auggie » 16 Jan 2020, 19:50

Dax wrote:My company owns a lot of houses, buy a new one just about every time I go travelling in Aus. Unlike most, buy cheap rural houses, do them up and sell or rent them out for an affordable price. Most of our rural and country town properties, end up with tenecy schemes, which provide low cost housing to those in need. Much better than using expensive agents and they look after the homes very well, plus keeps people of the streets, which from my own experience is not a goof way to live.


What would you do if the government confiscated your houses without compensation?
Apart from chattel slavery, Jim Crow, John C Calhoun, the Robber Barons, the Civil War, George Wallace, segregation, Ronald Reagan, violent crime, serial killers and Donald Trump, what makes America the shittest nation on earth?
Auggie
Pain in the Butt
 
Posts: 2338
Joined: 02 Oct 2017, 17:05
spamone: Animal

Re: Should we ban second home ownership?

Postby Chuck » 16 Jan 2020, 20:12

Dax wrote:My company owns a lot of houses, buy a new one just about every time I go travelling in Aus. Unlike most, buy cheap rural houses, do them up and sell or rent them out for an affordable price. Most of our rural and country town properties, end up with tenecy schemes, which provide low cost housing to those in need. Much better than using expensive agents and they look after the homes very well, plus keeps people of the streets, which from my own experience is not a goof way to live.
Good onya DAX!

At least ur following the spirit and the intent of the govts Investment concepts, in providing affordable housing.

This concept is lacking in many people who invest in investment properties just to exploit the system simply for wealth creation.

U show that u can provide a need for the community and still create wealth for yourself.

Chuck
Chuck
mountain lion
 
Posts: 762
Joined: 11 May 2019, 18:39
spamone: Animal


Re: Should we ban second home ownership?

Postby Dax » 20 Jan 2020, 15:37

Auggie wrote:
Dax wrote:My company owns a lot of houses, buy a new one just about every time I go travelling in Aus. Unlike most, buy cheap rural houses, do them up and sell or rent them out for an affordable price. Most of our rural and country town properties, end up with tenecy schemes, which provide low cost housing to those in need. Much better than using expensive agents and they look after the homes very well, plus keeps people of the streets, which from my own experience is not a goof way to live.


What would you do if the government confiscated your houses without compensation?


:rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl . What a stupidly dumb statement, last time I looked, live in Aus, where do you live china, Russia, the USA.

Grow up fool, there is not one reason why an Aus government would confiscate a companies assets, especially when the company has no debt and provides supporting housing.
User avatar
Dax
Jaguar
 
Posts: 1553
Joined: 12 Apr 2017, 11:15
spamone: Animal

Re: Should we ban second home ownership?

Postby HBS Guy » 20 Jan 2020, 15:56

FFS Auggie was having us on, having a laugh! He said so tho I knew on reading his OP.
User avatar
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia
 
Posts: 55085
Joined: 27 Oct 2009, 14:37

Re: Should we ban second home ownership?

Postby Bam » 21 Jan 2020, 21:37

Dax wrote:
Auggie wrote:
Dax wrote:My company owns a lot of houses, buy a new one just about every time I go travelling in Aus. Unlike most, buy cheap rural houses, do them up and sell or rent them out for an affordable price. Most of our rural and country town properties, end up with tenecy schemes, which provide low cost housing to those in need. Much better than using expensive agents and they look after the homes very well, plus keeps people of the streets, which from my own experience is not a goof way to live.


What would you do if the government confiscated your houses without compensation?


:rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl . What a stupidly dumb statement, last time I looked, live in Aus, where do you live china, Russia, the USA.

Grow up fool, there is not one reason why an Aus government would confiscate a companies assets, especially when the company has no debt and provides supporting housing.

Besides, confiscation of private property without compensation is unconstitutional.
Bam
Chihuahua
 
Posts: 61
Joined: 27 Oct 2017, 17:42
spamone: Animal

Re: Should we ban second home ownership?

Postby DonDeeHippy » 22 Jan 2020, 06:54

Dax wrote:
Auggie wrote:
Dax wrote:My company owns a lot of houses, buy a new one just about every time I go travelling in Aus. Unlike most, buy cheap rural houses, do them up and sell or rent them out for an affordable price. Most of our rural and country town properties, end up with tenecy schemes, which provide low cost housing to those in need. Much better than using expensive agents and they look after the homes very well, plus keeps people of the streets, which from my own experience is not a goof way to live.


What would you do if the government confiscated your houses without compensation?


:rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl . What a stupidly dumb statement, last time I looked, live in Aus, where do you live china, Russia, the USA.

Grow up fool, there is not one reason why an Aus government would confiscate a companies assets, especially when the company has no debt and provides supporting housing.

your giving the Australian government a lot of trust there Dax..... Everything else you have no faith but in this you do... well done :bgrin
Bongalong... for some reason women are just so superior to anything that ever existed or will ever exist!
User avatar
DonDeeHippy
Jaguar
 
Posts: 2256
Joined: 25 Apr 2018, 20:18
spamone: Animal

Re: Should we ban second home ownership?

Postby greggerypeccary » 22 Jan 2020, 08:13

Bam wrote:
Dax wrote:
Auggie wrote:
Dax wrote:My company owns a lot of houses, buy a new one just about every time I go travelling in Aus. Unlike most, buy cheap rural houses, do them up and sell or rent them out for an affordable price. Most of our rural and country town properties, end up with tenecy schemes, which provide low cost housing to those in need. Much better than using expensive agents and they look after the homes very well, plus keeps people of the streets, which from my own experience is not a goof way to live.


What would you do if the government confiscated your houses without compensation?


:rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl . What a stupidly dumb statement, last time I looked, live in Aus, where do you live china, Russia, the USA.

Grow up fool, there is not one reason why an Aus government would confiscate a companies assets, especially when the company has no debt and provides supporting housing.

Besides, confiscation of private property without compensation is unconstitutional.


They do confiscate - I've seen it done (for a road).

And the owners weren't adequately compensated.

They all lost a lot of money (about 20 or so houses, if memory serves me right).
User avatar
greggerypeccary
Warthog
 
Posts: 4761
Joined: 27 Sep 2017, 14:52
spamone: Animal

Re: Should we ban second home ownership?

Postby Dax » 22 Jan 2020, 08:53

DonDeeHippy wrote:
Dax wrote:
Auggie wrote:
Dax wrote:My company owns a lot of houses, buy a new one just about every time I go travelling in Aus. Unlike most, buy cheap rural houses, do them up and sell or rent them out for an affordable price. Most of our rural and country town properties, end up with tenecy schemes, which provide low cost housing to those in need. Much better than using expensive agents and they look after the homes very well, plus keeps people of the streets, which from my own experience is not a goof way to live.


What would you do if the government confiscated your houses without compensation?


:rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl . What a stupidly dumb statement, last time I looked, live in Aus, where do you live china, Russia, the USA.

Grow up fool, there is not one reason why an Aus government would confiscate a companies assets, especially when the company has no debt and provides supporting housing.

your giving the Australian government a lot of trust there Dax..... Everything else you have no faith but in this you do... well done :bgrin


Where in any of my posts does it say I have faith in the Aus government, was just answering your question according to now, not the what if's and maybes ideological clones tend to come up with when they have no argument. It's no different to saying god exists and climate change is a hoax, which is what the majority are hoping behind their empty platitudes and denial of reality.

Many get ripped off when governments decide to give huge amounts of the peoples money to their vested interests, at the expense of people homes and lifestyles. Especially when it is of not real benefit for the people or future. I make a point of doing my homework before any purchase, that way you find out the possibilities of any government or council future action and whether that particular home will provide a decent return on investment.
User avatar
Dax
Jaguar
 
Posts: 1553
Joined: 12 Apr 2017, 11:15
spamone: Animal

Re: Should we ban second home ownership?

Postby DonDeeHippy » 22 Jan 2020, 11:15

Dax wrote:Grow up fool, there is not one reason why an Aus government would confiscate a companies assets, especially when the company has no debt and provides supporting housing.

Sounds like Faith in our Government to me :rofl :rofl
Bongalong... for some reason women are just so superior to anything that ever existed or will ever exist!
User avatar
DonDeeHippy
Jaguar
 
Posts: 2256
Joined: 25 Apr 2018, 20:18
spamone: Animal

Re: Should we ban second home ownership?

Postby DonDeeHippy » 22 Jan 2020, 11:17

greggerypeccary wrote:
Bam wrote:
Dax wrote:
Auggie wrote:
Dax wrote:My company owns a lot of houses, buy a new one just about every time I go travelling in Aus. Unlike most, buy cheap rural houses, do them up and sell or rent them out for an affordable price. Most of our rural and country town properties, end up with tenecy schemes, which provide low cost housing to those in need. Much better than using expensive agents and they look after the homes very well, plus keeps people of the streets, which from my own experience is not a goof way to live.


What would you do if the government confiscated your houses without compensation?


:rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl . What a stupidly dumb statement, last time I looked, live in Aus, where do you live china, Russia, the USA.

Grow up fool, there is not one reason why an Aus government would confiscate a companies assets, especially when the company has no debt and provides supporting housing.

Besides, confiscation of private property without compensation is unconstitutional.


They do confiscate - I've seen it done (for a road).

And the owners weren't adequately compensated.

They all lost a lot of money (about 20 or so houses, if memory serves me right).

yup have friends in Ipswich that have a house on a Planned big highway... State Government want to give them well below what they paid and they cant sell because it's been ear marked.. :purple
Bongalong... for some reason women are just so superior to anything that ever existed or will ever exist!
User avatar
DonDeeHippy
Jaguar
 
Posts: 2256
Joined: 25 Apr 2018, 20:18
spamone: Animal

Re: Should we ban second home ownership?

Postby greggerypeccary » 22 Jan 2020, 11:31

DonDeeHippy wrote:
greggerypeccary wrote:
Bam wrote:
Dax wrote:
Auggie wrote:
Dax wrote:My company owns a lot of houses, buy a new one just about every time I go travelling in Aus. Unlike most, buy cheap rural houses, do them up and sell or rent them out for an affordable price. Most of our rural and country town properties, end up with tenecy schemes, which provide low cost housing to those in need. Much better than using expensive agents and they look after the homes very well, plus keeps people of the streets, which from my own experience is not a goof way to live.


What would you do if the government confiscated your houses without compensation?


:rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl . What a stupidly dumb statement, last time I looked, live in Aus, where do you live china, Russia, the USA.

Grow up fool, there is not one reason why an Aus government would confiscate a companies assets, especially when the company has no debt and provides supporting housing.

Besides, confiscation of private property without compensation is unconstitutional.


They do confiscate - I've seen it done (for a road).

And the owners weren't adequately compensated.

They all lost a lot of money (about 20 or so houses, if memory serves me right).

yup have friends in Ipswich that have a house on a Planned big highway... State Government want to give them well below what they paid and they cant sell because it's been ear marked.. :purple


Yeah, it's bad stuff.

The one I'm talking about happened about 35 years ago here in Perth.

The road in question was full of Italian immigrants with huge blocks which they used to grow all their own fruit and veges on.

They'd been there for many, many years and they were kicked out of their family homes.

They were paid well below market value, and there was nothing they could do about it - at least one of them committed suicide over it.

The government can take anybody's land whenever they like - nobody's home is safe.
User avatar
greggerypeccary
Warthog
 
Posts: 4761
Joined: 27 Sep 2017, 14:52
spamone: Animal

Re: Should we ban second home ownership?

Postby Chuck » 22 Jan 2020, 11:59

greggerypeccary wrote:They do confiscate - I've seen it done (for a road).

And the owners weren't adequately compensated.

They all lost a lot of money (about 20 or so houses, if memory serves me right).
I might have misinterpreted a QLD legislation pushed thru by Labor's Beatties govt.

The following is my interpretation of this legislation:
The State govt can resume property or land for a private business, if the Ministry deems that this venture is in the interest of the community.

Now, just imagine what opportunities are available to influence certain outcomes?
Chuck
mountain lion
 
Posts: 762
Joined: 11 May 2019, 18:39
spamone: Animal

Re: Should we ban second home ownership?

Postby Dax » 22 Jan 2020, 14:19

DonDeeHippy wrote:
Dax wrote:Grow up fool, there is not one reason why an Aus government would confiscate a companies assets, especially when the company has no debt and provides supporting housing.

Sounds like Faith in our Government to me :rofl :rofl


Let's look at it logically, which you seem incapable of doing. Your ridiculous claim makes you believe you hold the high ground in this discussion, when the facts are, all you hold is an empty simply programmed denialist ego. Which is driven by your dislike of me because I disagree with you about the quality of tesla, perfectly obvious observation and a good laugh.

In this case, if you own a home, you are also putting your faith in the government to not take your house. If you don't own your own home, then you're a failure and can be thrown on the streets by your landlord at any time they wish, or the government could take your rental accommodation.

Which makes your argument, one of dismal and infantile failure. Smart investors in the housing market do their homework and business plan for their investment, which includes doing in depth investigations into the area, properties current and future situations.

My faith is solely in the future, not any government and to be honest, couldn't care less if they took one of our properties for some stupid road or other development. Any loses would be a tax deduction which we would turn into a profit by reinvesting the collateral and claiming the price lose and other associated deductible loses and inputs.
User avatar
Dax
Jaguar
 
Posts: 1553
Joined: 12 Apr 2017, 11:15
spamone: Animal

Re: Should we ban second home ownership?

Postby chris155au » 22 Jan 2020, 15:30

Auggie wrote:What do you think?

Should we ban second home ownership? Those who own more than one property at the implementation of the law would be required to sell their second and third etc. homes to the state.


Real Estate would have to be a government ran industry first. What would the outcome be?
chris155au
Cheetah
 
Posts: 1025
Joined: 18 Oct 2018, 20:05
spamone: Animal

Previous

Return to Politics

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest