Should we ban second home ownership?

Discuss politics and current affairs here.

Hot topic: The scourge of negative gearing, Friends of the NBN and wrecking lives.  The economy and Poll tracking— all the polls.

Special Feature 1: Peter Costello and our current deficits.
Special Feature 2: Dr Turnbull and the wrong NBN prescription
Special Feature 3: The Denigration of science, technology and education.
Forum rules
The rules for this board are in the Charter of Moderation. Politics is for serious discussion of politics, economics and current affairs.

Should we ban second home ownership?

Postby Auggie » 09 Jan 2020, 17:48

What do you think?

Should we ban second home ownership? Those who own more than one property at the implementation of the law would be required to sell their second and third etc. homes to the state.
Apart from chattel slavery, Jim Crow, John C Calhoun, the Robber Barons, the Civil War, George Wallace, segregation, Ronald Reagan, violent crime, serial killers and Donald Trump, what makes America the shittest nation on earth?
Auggie
Pain in the Butt

spamone: Animal

Re: Should we ban second home ownership?

Postby HBS Guy » 09 Jan 2020, 18:06

No.

Should end tax concessions for multiple home ownership tho.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby johnsmith » 09 Jan 2020, 18:44

no. Apply negative gearing for the first investment property only, and possibly the family home ...... after that you're on your own
FD.
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.
johnsmith
Mastodon

Postby Auggie » 09 Jan 2020, 19:22

Those who said no own more 2 or more homes.

:bgrin :bgrin :bgrin :bgrin :bgrin
Apart from chattel slavery, Jim Crow, John C Calhoun, the Robber Barons, the Civil War, George Wallace, segregation, Ronald Reagan, violent crime, serial killers and Donald Trump, what makes America the shittest nation on earth?
Auggie
Pain in the Butt

Postby johnsmith » 09 Jan 2020, 19:39

Auggie wrote:Those who said no own more 2 or more homes.

no :up
FD.
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.
johnsmith
Mastodon

Postby greggerypeccary » 09 Jan 2020, 20:02

I see no reason for people to own two homes.

Fuck, I used to hate it back in the '80s and '90s when that's all anyone could ever talk about.
greggerypeccary
Warthog

Postby johnsmith » 09 Jan 2020, 20:40

greggerypeccary wrote:I see no reason for people to own two homes.

Security?
Income?
their kids?

there's 3
FD.
johnsmith
Mastodon

Postby SadKangaroo » 09 Jan 2020, 20:49

Maybe...
SadKangaroo
puppy

Postby pinkeye » 09 Jan 2020, 21:48

Well I wouldn't go that far, but definitely remove negative gearing. It does not work for the overall public benefit.
sleeping is good for you
pinkeye
Warthog

Postby SethBullock » 09 Jan 2020, 22:01

Auggie wrote:What do you think?

Should we ban second home ownership? Those who own more than one property at the implementation of the law would be required to sell their second and third etc. homes to the state.

At full market value?

If so, wouldn't that create a building boom at the government's expense? How would the government pay for that? Higher taxes on everyone I suspect.
“I shall pass through this world but once. Any good that I can do or any kindness I can show to any human being, let me do it now. Let me not defer nor neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again.” - Stephen Grellet
SethBullock
Warthog

Postby DreamRyderX » 09 Jan 2020, 22:23

johnsmith wrote:

no :up
...better Image Image
Never water yerself down just because someone might not be able ta handle ya at "190 Proof"
DreamRyderX
Irish wolfhound

Postby greggerypeccary » 10 Jan 2020, 07:13

johnsmith wrote:

Security?
Income?
their kids?

there's 3

Greed.

There's 4.
greggerypeccary
Warthog

Postby DonDeeHippy » 10 Jan 2020, 07:27

So you want to change the whole idea of capitalism ? Do we also stop any venture being able to claim expenses ? After all negative gearing is just having your income and expenses equalling out, it's fine saying you want to ban it. What is to stop someone investing in multiple companies and ding the same thing. Penalising someone for getting ahead in life is a slippery slope.
The real baddies are corporations, they are a law unto them selves, basically a mini country, no accountability, get rid of them and we can see real change to our economy.... :purple
Bongalong... for some reason women are just so superior to anything that ever existed or will ever exist!
DonDeeHippy
Jaguar

Postby Bam » 10 Jan 2020, 07:33

pinkeye wrote:Well I wouldn't go that far, but definitely remove negative gearing. It does not work for the overall public benefit.

Negative gearing is nothing compared to the blatant rort that is the capital gains tax concession (CGT).

That tax concession is doing more to push house prices up to unsustainable levels than anything else.

The CGT concession was introduced in 1999. Here's what happened to tax revenues from landlords since then.

Who is receiving the CGT concessions? The wealthy get the lion's share.

Bam
Chihuahua

Postby Auggie » 10 Jan 2020, 17:36

SethBullock wrote:

At full market value?

If so, wouldn't that create a building boom at the government's expense? How would the government pay for that? Higher taxes on everyone I suspect.

Nah, we'd just march the police into people's homes and take from them by force. No compensation.

Think of it as a donation to society.
Auggie
Pain in the Butt

Postby Auggie » 10 Jan 2020, 17:40

DonDeeHippy wrote:So you want to change the whole idea of capitalism ? Do we also stop any venture being able to claim expenses ? After all negative gearing is just having your income and expenses equalling out, it's fine saying you want to ban it. What is to stop someone investing in multiple companies and ding the same thing. Penalising someone for getting ahead in life is a slippery slope.
The real baddies are corporations, they are a law unto them selves, basically a mini country, no accountability, get rid of them and we can see real change to our economy.... :purple

We should nationalise all mining and resource companies in Australia without compensation.
Auggie
Pain in the Butt

Postby SethBullock » 10 Jan 2020, 17:47

Auggie wrote:
SethBullock wrote:

At full market value?

Nah, we'd just march the police into people's homes and take from them by force. No compensation.

Think of it as a donation to society.

That sounds like Russia after the communist revolution, doesn't it?
“I shall pass through this world but once. Any good that I can do or any kindness I can show to any human being, let me do it now. Let me not defer nor neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again.” - Stephen Grellet
SethBullock
Warthog

Postby johnsmith » 10 Jan 2020, 18:22

greggerypeccary wrote:
johnsmith wrote:

Security?
Income?
their kids?

there's 3

Greed.

There's 4.

if greed was a reason for banning things we'd ban everything
FD.
johnsmith
Mastodon

Postby johnsmith » 10 Jan 2020, 18:24

Auggie wrote:
DonDeeHippy wrote:So you want to change the whole idea of capitalism ? Do we also stop any venture being able to claim expenses ? After all negative gearing is just having your income and expenses equalling out, it's fine saying you want to ban it. What is to stop someone investing in multiple companies and ding the same thing. Penalising someone for getting ahead in life is a slippery slope.

We should nationalise all mining and resource companies in Australia without compensation.

now that i agree with. Minerals and natural resources should be nationalised.
FD.
johnsmith
Mastodon

Postby Bam » 10 Jan 2020, 18:24

Auggie wrote:

The Constitution expressly forbids it. Section 51(xxxi): "the acquisition of property on just terms from any State or person for any purpose in respect of which the Parliament has power to make laws". Nationalisation without compensation is unjust.
Bam
Chihuahua

Postby johnsmith » 10 Jan 2020, 18:30

Bam wrote:
Auggie wrote:

The Constitution expressly forbids it. Section 51(xxxi): "the acquisition of property on just terms from any State or person for any purpose in respect of which the Parliament has power to make laws". Nationalisation without compensation is unjust.

compensate them in the same manner they aquired them ... pay them 1/100th of the true value

just kidding. I'd be willing to compensate them if we could get all the minerals etc nationalised
FD.
johnsmith
Mastodon

Postby greggerypeccary » 10 Jan 2020, 20:10

johnsmith wrote:
greggerypeccary wrote:
johnsmith wrote:

Security?
Income?
their kids?

there's 3

Greed.

There's 4.

Not true.

Nothing I do in an average day is motivated by greed.

Not one single thing.

Greed is NOT good, no matter what movies from the '80s might tell you.
greggerypeccary
Warthog

Postby johnsmith » 10 Jan 2020, 20:25

greggerypeccary wrote:
johnsmith wrote:
greggerypeccary wrote:
johnsmith wrote:

Security?
Income?
their kids?

there's 3

Greed.

There's 4.

Not true.

Not one single thing.

good for you. However, greed is in every aspect of our lives, from your internet connection, your petrol prices, your groceries (for the most part) and the pants you're wearing. If you banned things because many people got greedy, you'd ban everything. Why should houses be any different?
FD.
johnsmith
Mastodon

Postby greggerypeccary » 10 Jan 2020, 20:26

johnsmith wrote:
greggerypeccary wrote:
johnsmith wrote:
greggerypeccary wrote:
johnsmith wrote:

Security?
Income?
their kids?

there's 3

Greed.

There's 4.

Not true.

Not one single thing.

good for you. However, greed is in every aspect of our lives, from your internet connection, your petrol prices, your groceries (for the most part) and the pants you're wearing. If you banned things because many people got greedy, you'd ban everything. Why should houses be any different?

What makes you think I'm wearing pants? :?
greggerypeccary
Warthog

Postby johnsmith » 10 Jan 2020, 20:28

greggerypeccary wrote:What makes you think I'm wearing pants? :?

ok then, the skirt you're wearing

:yahoo :yahoo
FD.
johnsmith
Mastodon

Next

Return to Politics