Forcing Moves... lol

Discuss politics and current affairs here.

Hot topic: The scourge of negative gearing, Friends of the NBN and wrecking lives.  The economy and Poll tracking— all the polls.

Special Feature 1: Peter Costello and our current deficits.
Special Feature 2: Dr Turnbull and the wrong NBN prescription
Special Feature 3: The Denigration of science, technology and education.
.
Forum rules
The rules for this board are in the Charter of Moderation. Politics is for serious discussion of politics, economics and current affairs.

Re: Forcing Moves... lol

Postby HBS Guy » 27 Jun 2019, 08:48

No, we really can not run a country like that. People need jobs to provide food, housing etc etc for themselves and family.

Where are we going to get 10Gwatt of new power from in 10 years?

Nuclear—may already be too late (I was amazed nobody mentioned this) Maybe buy 10 French nuke subs and use them to power the grid? Serious!

Coal—probably already too late

Renewables—already too late. We are talking ≥ 10GWatt!

????
User avatar
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia
 
Posts: 53703
Joined: 27 Oct 2009, 14:37

Re: Forcing Moves... lol

Postby Dax » 27 Jun 2019, 08:54

HBS Guy wrote:No, we really can not run a country like that. People need jobs to provide food, housing etc etc for themselves and family.

Where are we going to get 10Gwatt of new power from in 10 years?

Nuclear—may already be too late (I was amazed nobody mentioned this) Maybe buy 10 French nuke subs and use them to power the grid? Serious!

Coal—probably already too late

Renewables—already too late. We are talking ≥ 10GWatt!

????


You won't need it, you won't be here, just like almost all of us will be gone, courtesy of nature and the idiots you support, destroying societies with PC idiocy and never ending ideological war.
User avatar
Dax
Cheetah
 
Posts: 1414
Joined: 12 Apr 2017, 11:15
spamone: Animal

Re: Forcing Moves... lol

Postby Dax » 27 Jun 2019, 09:02

HBS Guy wrote:YOU were whining for a return to the “golden” days of the 1950s. Fuck you are a moron, go back and read your tedious posts.


In your frustration and deep seated fear, you're developing the normal syndrome of perpetual lying to cover up your never ending mistakes. Post where I said anything about returning to the 1950's. was your post was the one that mentioned he 1950's, not mine, you claimed we should return to 1950's nuclear technology, nothing has changed in nuclear technology. It's still dangerous, polluting and developing huge waste stockpiles no on knows what to do with.

Tedious posts, so sad for you, incapable of posting anything more than links and empty single sentence posts. Understand your frustration at being so inadequate, must be a strain. :rofl :rofl :rofl
User avatar
Dax
Cheetah
 
Posts: 1414
Joined: 12 Apr 2017, 11:15
spamone: Animal

Re: Forcing Moves... lol

Postby HBS Guy » 27 Jun 2019, 09:03

Christ whinging about old tech, 1950s tech:

Cars, even EVs (how will they run with no working superchargers?) late 19thC tech, even EVs—had them before.

Houses—new stoneage tech!

Roads—Romans did them and did them well! I walked on Pompeii and Ostio Antika streets made out of blocks of stone, very smooth, better than todays roads with their potholes. Macadam is 18th century tech.

Clothing—old stone age, neanderthal tech!
User avatar
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia
 
Posts: 53703
Joined: 27 Oct 2009, 14:37

Re: Forcing Moves... lol

Postby HBS Guy » 27 Jun 2019, 09:04

Dax wrote:
HBS Guy wrote:YOU were whining for a return to the “golden” days of the 1950s. Fuck you are a moron, go back and read your tedious posts.


In your frustration and deep seated fear, you're developing the normal syndrome of perpetual lying to cover up your never ending mistakes. Post where I said anything about returning to the 1950's. was your post was the one that mentioned he 1950's, not mine, you claimed we should return to 1950's nuclear technology, nothing has changed in nuclear technology. It's still dangerous, polluting and developing huge waste stockpiles no on knows what to do with.

Tedious posts, so sad for you, incapable of posting anything more than links and empty single sentence posts. Understand your frustration at being so inadequate, must be a strain. :rofl :rofl :rofl


More crap from Dax. Something realistic not just more ideology please!
User avatar
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia
 
Posts: 53703
Joined: 27 Oct 2009, 14:37

Re: Forcing Moves... lol

Postby HBS Guy » 27 Jun 2019, 09:06

So nuclear is fairly new tech.

The field is fast changing but because we are in a bind we need to stick to known working tech.
User avatar
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia
 
Posts: 53703
Joined: 27 Oct 2009, 14:37

Re: Forcing Moves... lol

Postby Dax » 27 Jun 2019, 09:18

HBS Guy wrote:So nuclear is fairly new tech.

The field is fast changing but because we are in a bind we need to stick to known working tech.


Like coal, ICE vehicles, last century nuclear. Panicking because you have no answers and no hope, you should get some facts instead of just grasping at non existent straws as you drown in your own intellectual failures.

Electricity from atomic energy emits 90 to 140 g CO2 per kWh of electricity produced, which is more than double solar, wave tide pump and wind produce, but less than coal or gas. The only ones that say otherwise are the uniformed who cling to the nuclear industries propaganda.
User avatar
Dax
Cheetah
 
Posts: 1414
Joined: 12 Apr 2017, 11:15
spamone: Animal

Re: Forcing Moves... lol

Postby HBS Guy » 27 Jun 2019, 09:19

Actually, I am trying and failing to get some realistic debate. The problem is real and serious enough.
User avatar
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia
 
Posts: 53703
Joined: 27 Oct 2009, 14:37


Re: Forcing Moves... lol

Postby HBS Guy » 27 Jun 2019, 11:37

Two workers exposed to too much radiation. HM coal miners die each year? HM people living around coal fired generators die from respiratory illnesses each year.

I am trying to start a debate about how we can make up a shortfall of 10GWatt electricity generation that is upon us because we have a fleet of ageing coal fired generators that will reach their end of life over the next decade.

Nothing in life is free of risk. Our civilisation will disappear in a week of no power.
User avatar
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia
 
Posts: 53703
Joined: 27 Oct 2009, 14:37

Re: Forcing Moves... lol

Postby mothra » 27 Jun 2019, 11:43

Utterly unacceptable risk, in my opinion.
User avatar
mothra
Duck
 
Posts: 6467
Joined: 27 Sep 2017, 17:47
spamone: Animal

Re: Forcing Moves... lol

Postby HBS Guy » 27 Jun 2019, 12:59

Which one, the coal miners?
User avatar
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia
 
Posts: 53703
Joined: 27 Oct 2009, 14:37

Re: Forcing Moves... lol

Postby Dax » 27 Jun 2019, 14:20

HBS Guy wrote:Actually, I am trying and failing to get some realistic debate. The problem is real and serious enough.


Like flogging a dead horse, a realistic debate would include logical realistic approaches to the future. With the never ending population growth and the idiocy of bringing more and more people to Aus, is the ingredients for the perfect storm of collapse.

Aus lacks the water, good soils and with diminishing rainfall, all add up to an unsustainable future and it's over 3 decades beyond turning around. Nuclear is a steps backwards, as is coal gas and fossil oils, all which are unsustainable in any way, as us population growth.

You can deny it all you want, but every single aspect of life and nature proves beyond doubt the time is up for idealogical humanity, you can't live in fantasy land, destroy and deny the reality of natures ability to provide for very long, before it buries you. Humans have pushed the natural world into decay, but not matter what they do, in the end it will be the natural world that buries them and that is less than 20 years away.

Only solar and the removal of over 90% of humanity will make a difference to the future, otherwise it;s all over rover for everyone. As long as the mentally deranged PC crowd keep demanding humanitarian is much better than a future, we are lost and as long as the god nutters keep demanding their non existent fantasy land god will come to save them and they have the right to continue to war against everything, there is not hope. No amount of denial or pathetic excuses will change anything, if everyone woke up to how stupid their lives are, things may change. But ideological humanity prefers to live in fantasy land denial, so the future is set in stone, death by nature very soon.
User avatar
Dax
Cheetah
 
Posts: 1414
Joined: 12 Apr 2017, 11:15
spamone: Animal

Re: Forcing Moves... lol

Postby HBS Guy » 27 Jun 2019, 15:08

{Yawn} We have a population here and now—and coal fired generators reaching their end of life.

Pt Augusta and Hazelwood have shut, nothing has replaced them. More will shuit. Then what?

Nobody has dared say what will replace 10GWatt generating capacity that will retire over the next decade.

Nothing to do with immigration! FFS!
User avatar
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia
 
Posts: 53703
Joined: 27 Oct 2009, 14:37

Re: Forcing Moves... lol

Postby Dax » 27 Jun 2019, 16:07

HBS Guy wrote:{Yawn} We have a population here and now—and coal fired generators reaching their end of life.

Pt Augusta and Hazelwood have shut, nothing has replaced them. More will shuit. Then what?

Nobody has dared say what will replace 10GWatt generating capacity that will retire over the next decade.

Nothing to do with immigration! FFS!


Who cares what happens, if people cared they would have done something decades ago, but all you lot did was feed your faces, live in denial and population is the elephant in the room. You add half a million people to the country every year, as we are doing now and the need for energy increases dramatically because oh ignorant one, they require more infrastructure, more power, more hospitals, more foods, more cops, more jails, more roads and more transport. How's your approach of more people and doing nothing else, but sticking to the past working so far for you, :rofl :rofl :rofl

It will take between 15-25 years to get one nuclear plant up and running and the same for coal or any other base load generation system. What I've predicted is not day dreams or airy fairy stuff, it's the reality, because unless we move directly to small grids batteries and solar, which can all be accomplished within 3 years, that's it.

You keep telling me I'm wrong but have put nothing forward that makes sense, just idiotic claims which are far fetched and ridiculous when you look at the facts. you keep having digs because of my supposed long posts, but they all contain real information, not just denial and empty hope, like yours and others here.

Keep shooting the messengers, it's all simple ideologues do, because they are afraid of the real world that awaits them in the future. I'm not afraid, but looking forward to it and couldn't care less if everyone was wiped out, including myself. My main thoughts are for all the other innocent life on the planet that is suffering and will be destroyed because of unthinking self centered fools of humans.
User avatar
Dax
Cheetah
 
Posts: 1414
Joined: 12 Apr 2017, 11:15
spamone: Animal

Re: Forcing Moves... lol

Postby DonDeeHippy » 27 Jun 2019, 16:22

DonDeeHippy wrote:
HBS Guy wrote:At least I can see a problem coming up. You lot think power will always be there at the flick of a switch. It will not be.

Nuclear involves fusion. We can use thorium, buy a plant from the Chinese or Indians. Modular, start small, add more units.

But better go back to sleep, thinking obviously hurts your pretty little heads.

https://cleantechnica.com/2019/06/25/8m ... y-storage/

The Southern Bighorn Solar & Storage Center will include a 475 MW DC (300 MW AC) solar array with 540 MWh of lithium-ion battery storage. It will be built in Clark County on the Moapa River Indian Reservation about 30 miles north of Las Vegas. The project will be the largest solar plus storage center in Nevada, as well as the largest solar plus storage center built on tribal land in the United States to date. Southern Bighorn’s power will be fully dispatchable; which means it can provide power throughout the day and during evening peak energy hours.
“Southern Bighorn will deliver clean power at an average price (including time of delivery adjustments) of about $35 per MWh, which is below the cost of fossil fuel-based generation. (Emphasis added.) For a solar PV plant, incorporating a 540MWh Li-Ion battery system, this is truly industry leading.
construction of the new facility will begin in mid-2022 and be operational by the end of 2023. Southern Big Horn Solar Center will have an annual production capacity of over 1 billion kilowatt hours (kWh) once complete, enough for more than 180,000 homes — or 455,000 people

So this system will cost about $50 AUD a mwh , just the coal not including price of the generator is about $70 a hour, so solar and battery is cheaper than Coal and far less dangerous than Nuke.
Australia needs about 50 of this size project for our population or about 9 per state (yes I didn't include Tassie and included NT)
Actually there is already about half the solar panels needed or being built in Australia already, so it's just the cost of batteries....

These theoretically could be done in 5 years, Nuke will take too long and with current technology too expensive and too dangerous.


As a example Britain has been going for days at time without firing up their coal power, yes they have nuke but its the renewable's that have been replacing the coal, I think for a 2 week solid period so far this year, it will only get better as they install more...

Thorium is still only being developed so 20-30 years away. :purple

Look at this project and the cost saving, this is happening now... no need for nuke, 20 of these projects will make up the 10 gw…..
Bongalong... for some reason women are just so superior to anything that ever existed or will ever exist!
User avatar
DonDeeHippy
Jaguar
 
Posts: 1816
Joined: 25 Apr 2018, 20:18
spamone: Animal

Re: Forcing Moves... lol

Postby HBS Guy » 27 Jun 2019, 19:30

It is less than .5GWatt nameplate capacity. Would need 40 of those.

We could dam a couple more rivers in Tasmania.

Hells bells I am not against renewable energy, I am all for it. We have 10 years, the bloody Libs will waste 3 of those. Need storage to make up for intermittency. I would also argue for more research into wave and tide—tides at least are regular, eh? But that is too long term.

Small utility scale solar can be done fairly quickly—we have plenty deserts and salt lakes. That will ease supply to the big cities. I think we will need to rely on these in the short term. Lakes Gairdner and Torrens could perhaps be used. Need storage and wind could supplement the solar—located nearby or wherever. Ultrahigh voltage DC line to transmit the power. Build small just never stop building. One technique but not enough.

If only fusion would be commercialised. Maybe with AI the magnetic containment can be managed.

I suggest people make sure they have rooftop solar and look into a windmill or two—only about $600 each, can provide power when the sun doesn’t shine, charge the battery up at night type of thing. I think brownouts, blackouts and load shedding will be increasing facts of life in thios country. Nobody has offered any realistic replacement of 10GWatt and that includes me.

Wind increasingly should be off shore: more wind, more constant wind and no NIMBYism! The hills behind Victor Harbot, Pt Elliot, Middleton here are ideal: wind for 364 days of the year. The other side of Backstairs Passage, Kangaroo Is is similarly blessed but they won’t have wind either. If I was energy czar I would load shed both those areas first, hah!
User avatar
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia
 
Posts: 53703
Joined: 27 Oct 2009, 14:37

Re: Forcing Moves... lol

Postby pinkeye » 28 Jun 2019, 01:22

Dax wrote:
HBS Guy wrote:{Yawn} We have a population here and now—and coal fired generators reaching their end of life.

Pt Augusta and Hazelwood have shut, nothing has replaced them. More will shuit. Then what?

Nobody has dared say what will replace 10GWatt generating capacity that will retire over the next decade.

Nothing to do with immigration! FFS!


Who cares what happens, if people cared they would have done something decades ago, but all you lot did was feed your faces, live in denial and population is the elephant in the room. You add half a million people to the country every year, as we are doing now and the need for energy increases dramatically because oh ignorant one, they require more infrastructure, more power, more hospitals, more foods, more cops, more jails, more roads and more transport. How's your approach of more people and doing nothing else, but sticking to the past working so far for you, :rofl :rofl :rofl

It will take between 15-25 years to get one nuclear plant up and running and the same for coal or any other base load generation system. What I've predicted is not day dreams or airy fairy stuff, it's the reality, because unless we move directly to small grids batteries and solar, which can all be accomplished within 3 years, that's it.

You keep telling me I'm wrong but have put nothing forward that makes sense, just idiotic claims which are far fetched and ridiculous when you look at the facts. you keep having digs because of my supposed long posts, but they all contain real information, not just denial and empty hope, like yours and others here.

Keep shooting the messengers, it's all simple ideologues do, because they are afraid of the real world that awaits them in the future. I'm not afraid, but looking forward to it and couldn't care less if everyone was wiped out, including myself. My main thoughts are for all the other innocent life on the planet that is suffering and will be destroyed because of unthinking self centered fools of humans.



YES .. Dax.. you are correct in what you say is coming. From my observations, and considerations on human destructive behaviour against our home Earth, we deserve nothing less than annihilation. And we'll get it.

I don't think there is any doubt and we can only try to ease this through innovation and new ideas.
The seas will become unnavigable, the skies the same, and we will be trapped in small pockets of survivors, in disparate places, trying not to kill each other over the limited resources available to us. .

How do you think that is going to go?
I really think no matter what resources we now choose to deploy, we are too late.
Too few humans care. Too many humans don't give a fuck. Small brains, no imagination, short lives.
sleeping is good for you
User avatar
pinkeye
Warthog
 
Posts: 4156
Joined: 01 Oct 2017, 20:59
spamone: Animal

Re: Forcing Moves... lol

Postby HBS Guy » 28 Jun 2019, 02:18

Nonsense.

Seas will rise 1m by 2100, temperatures rise another 1°C.

Important then that we replace aging coal fired plants with non carbon emitting energy. That is going to be hard.
User avatar
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia
 
Posts: 53703
Joined: 27 Oct 2009, 14:37

Re: Forcing Moves... lol

Postby Dax » 28 Jun 2019, 04:58

HBS Guy wrote:It is less than .5GWatt nameplate capacity. Would need 40 of those.

We could dam a couple more rivers in Tasmania.

Hells bells I am not against renewable energy, I am all for it. We have 10 years, the bloody Libs will waste 3 of those. Need storage to make up for intermittency. I would also argue for more research into wave and tide—tides at least are regular, eh? But that is too long term.

Small utility scale solar can be done fairly quickly—we have plenty deserts and salt lakes. That will ease supply to the big cities. I think we will need to rely on these in the short term. Lakes Gairdner and Torrens could perhaps be used. Need storage and wind could supplement the solar—located nearby or wherever. Ultrahigh voltage DC line to transmit the power. Build small just never stop building. One technique but not enough.

If only fusion would be commercialised. Maybe with AI the magnetic containment can be managed.

I suggest people make sure they have rooftop solar and look into a windmill or two—only about $600 each, can provide power when the sun doesn’t shine, charge the battery up at night type of thing. I think brownouts, blackouts and load shedding will be increasing facts of life in thios country. Nobody has offered any realistic replacement of 10GWatt and that includes me.

Wind increasingly should be off shore: more wind, more constant wind and no NIMBYism! The hills behind Victor Harbot, Pt Elliot, Middleton here are ideal: wind for 364 days of the year. The other side of Backstairs Passage, Kangaroo Is is similarly blessed but they won’t have wind either. If I was energy czar I would load shed both those areas first, hah!


You're crazy, we don't have ten years, we have zero years, look at the facts fool. What they predicted to happen at the end of this century is already happening, yet you want to dam more rivers in Tas, when our rainfall is already dropping dramatically and environment collapsing. Why should Tas give Aus any energy, when you treat us like you do and have nothing to stop the problems rapidly growing in your own backyard.

Fusion is a fantasy dream and can't work, because stars don't work that way as they think, stars are dimensional/universe doors, black holes are the other side of these doors and that's why their fusion won't work, it doesn't exist.

You've stuffed your own environment, your precious labor party has been complicit in every action they and the libs have avoided doing for decades, along with the greens. They've conned you and all the cloned fools round the planet with lies, deceptions and false hope, none of their policies do anything but make it all worse. Yet you are all so stupid yo keep voting for them and do nothing yourselves. pathetic.

Grow up, it's just a matter of when societies can no longer cope with the changes, because they have and will do nothing. You keep rabbiting on demanding someone do something, but what have you done to help, nothing.

Like all urban fools you expect someone else to do it for you, complain, try to shoot the messengers, yet do bugger all but add to the problems with your lifestyle and denial.
Last edited by Dax on 28 Jun 2019, 05:17, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
Dax
Cheetah
 
Posts: 1414
Joined: 12 Apr 2017, 11:15
spamone: Animal

Re: Forcing Moves... lol

Postby Dax » 28 Jun 2019, 05:10

pinkeye wrote:
Dax wrote:
HBS Guy wrote:{Yawn} We have a population here and now—and coal fired generators reaching their end of life.

Pt Augusta and Hazelwood have shut, nothing has replaced them. More will shuit. Then what?

Nobody has dared say what will replace 10GWatt generating capacity that will retire over the next decade.

Nothing to do with immigration! FFS!


Who cares what happens, if people cared they would have done something decades ago, but all you lot did was feed your faces, live in denial and population is the elephant in the room. You add half a million people to the country every year, as we are doing now and the need for energy increases dramatically because oh ignorant one, they require more infrastructure, more power, more hospitals, more foods, more cops, more jails, more roads and more transport. How's your approach of more people and doing nothing else, but sticking to the past working so far for you, :rofl :rofl :rofl

It will take between 15-25 years to get one nuclear plant up and running and the same for coal or any other base load generation system. What I've predicted is not day dreams or airy fairy stuff, it's the reality, because unless we move directly to small grids batteries and solar, which can all be accomplished within 3 years, that's it.

You keep telling me I'm wrong but have put nothing forward that makes sense, just idiotic claims which are far fetched and ridiculous when you look at the facts. you keep having digs because of my supposed long posts, but they all contain real information, not just denial and empty hope, like yours and others here.

Keep shooting the messengers, it's all simple ideologues do, because they are afraid of the real world that awaits them in the future. I'm not afraid, but looking forward to it and couldn't care less if everyone was wiped out, including myself. My main thoughts are for all the other innocent life on the planet that is suffering and will be destroyed because of unthinking self centered fools of humans.



YES .. Dax.. you are correct in what you say is coming. From my observations, and considerations on human destructive behaviour against our home Earth, we deserve nothing less than annihilation. And we'll get it.

I don't think there is any doubt and we can only try to ease this through innovation and new ideas.
The seas will become unnavigable, the skies the same, and we will be trapped in small pockets of survivors, in disparate places, trying not to kill each other over the limited resources available to us. .

How do you think that is going to go?
I really think no matter what resources we now choose to deploy, we are too late.
Too few humans care. Too many humans don't give a fuck. Small brains, no imagination, short lives.


The vast majority have no hope, especially urbanites and all who rely upon shops for their survival. Have no idea if anyone will survive, but you have a better chance if you are isolated for urban reach, can provide the basics of food, filtered/protected shelter and capable of protecting yourself if necessary.

Believe it or not, it will be lack of clean water and safe food which will bring down world societies, when you consider 99% of humans rely solely upon the shop and highly processed foods, they have no hope. When the shops have no food because imports have stopped and because of denuded soils lack of water, fuel supplies run out, very little is produced within their area and nature hammering them with frightening fire forms and lack or rain, except for devastating downpours which wash everything away.

Then we have viral infection, which is increasingly deadly, viruses live and breed on the diary and chemical saturated foods you all grovel in. The foods saturate your immune systems, organs and brains, giving viruses the perfect breeding grounds throughout your bodies.

European is already seeing unprecedented fire storms massive heat waves destroying everything and unbelievable melting of their only water supplies, glaciers and mountain snows. Only need a couple more years of this to continue before the entire Nth hemisphere is in dire trouble water wise, the sth hemisphere is already suffering massive fire storms and rainfall reduction.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-06-28/ ... e/11259582

"Hundreds of firefighters are struggling to contain a wildfire in north-eastern Spain that has spread over 5,500 hectares and forced the evacuation of 53 residents."
User avatar
Dax
Cheetah
 
Posts: 1414
Joined: 12 Apr 2017, 11:15
spamone: Animal

Re: Forcing Moves... lol

Postby DonDeeHippy » 28 Jun 2019, 06:11

HBS Guy wrote:It is less than .5GWatt nameplate capacity. Would need 40 of those.

We could dam a couple more rivers in Tasmania.

Hells bells I am not against renewable energy, I am all for it. We have 10 years, the bloody Libs will waste 3 of those. Need storage to make up for intermittency. I would also argue for more research into wave and tide—tides at least are regular, eh? But that is too long term.

Small utility scale solar can be done fairly quickly—we have plenty deserts and salt lakes. That will ease supply to the big cities. I think we will need to rely on these in the short term. Lakes Gairdner and Torrens could perhaps be used. Need storage and wind could supplement the solar—located nearby or wherever. Ultrahigh voltage DC line to transmit the power. Build small just never stop building. One technique but not enough.

If only fusion would be commercialised. Maybe with AI the magnetic containment can be managed.

I suggest people make sure they have rooftop solar and look into a windmill or two—only about $600 each, can provide power when the sun doesn’t shine, charge the battery up at night type of thing. I think brownouts, blackouts and load shedding will be increasing facts of life in thios country. Nobody has offered any realistic replacement of 10GWatt and that includes me.

Wind increasingly should be off shore: more wind, more constant wind and no NIMBYism! The hills behind Victor Harbot, Pt Elliot, Middleton here are ideal: wind for 364 days of the year. The other side of Backstairs Passage, Kangaroo Is is similarly blessed but they won’t have wind either. If I was energy czar I would load shed both those areas first, hah!

umm .5 gwh X 20 +10 gwh, ok maybe 21
Did you notice the projected overall cost is less price per KWH than just the cost of coal, not including the coal plant... I think you will find the Initial cost and running costs of a Nuke is more expensive as well and any engineer can say ohh this Nuke reactor is a good one, not like Japan or Russia, id rather look at history and not take the chance...
In the USA their whole government is trying to tear down renewable energy, yet the individuals and states are approving them because it's the cheapest solution... That is the reality..

For home use, just solar and Batteries, you can get biodiesel generators and even filters to make your own fairly cheep for those few days a year you need extra power....
As long as well have our love of cooking in oil we can access biodiesel

Yes offshore is more expensive but it seems the wind blows more and they are doing very well..
The fact is now, even with Battery backup, solar and wind is the cheapest source of new power and that includes Nuclear :purple
Bongalong... for some reason women are just so superior to anything that ever existed or will ever exist!
User avatar
DonDeeHippy
Jaguar
 
Posts: 1816
Joined: 25 Apr 2018, 20:18
spamone: Animal

Re: Forcing Moves... lol

Postby Dax » 28 Jun 2019, 08:57

DonDeeHippy wrote:umm .5 gwh X 20 +10 gwh, ok maybe 21
Did you notice the projected overall cost is less price per KWH than just the cost of coal, not including the coal plant... I think you will find the Initial cost and running costs of a Nuke is more expensive as well and any engineer can say ohh this Nuke reactor is a good one, not like Japan or Russia, id rather look at history and not take the chance...
In the USA their whole government is trying to tear down renewable energy, yet the individuals and states are approving them because it's the cheapest solution... That is the reality..

For home use, just solar and Batteries, you can get biodiesel generators and even filters to make your own fairly cheep for those few days a year you need extra power....
As long as well have our love of cooking in oil we can access biodiesel

Yes offshore is more expensive but it seems the wind blows more and they are doing very well..
The fact is now, even with Battery backup, solar and wind is the cheapest source of new power and that includes Nuclear :purple


You only need biodiesel to start engines, they run much better on straight vegetable oils/ been running mine for decades on veggie without any problems, just as I run my diesel cars machinery and bus. Using seed oils, would drop the price of transport by over 50%, reduce harmful emission by over 80%, provide farmers with a guaranteed income for the foreseeable future, boosting a sustainable economy.

To late now, the horse has bolted and can't be stopped. Doing anything now is decades to late and will have no effect for many more decades, plus the speed of which humans make changes, means it would be decades before they even get round to changing their lifestyles and diets. Which contribute to the majority of global warming and pollution.

Women are the biggest problem they consume and spend money on junk crap constantly with their environmental destructive make-up and all the chemicals they cover their putrid smelling bodies in. They are desperate to have as many clothes and shoes as they see fit and then throw them out after a couple of uses..
User avatar
Dax
Cheetah
 
Posts: 1414
Joined: 12 Apr 2017, 11:15
spamone: Animal

Re: Forcing Moves... lol

Postby HBS Guy » 28 Jun 2019, 10:30

DonDeeHippy wrote:
HBS Guy wrote:It is less than .5GWatt nameplate capacity. Would need 40 of those.

We could dam a couple more rivers in Tasmania.

Hells bells I am not against renewable energy, I am all for it. We have 10 years, the bloody Libs will waste 3 of those. Need storage to make up for intermittency. I would also argue for more research into wave and tide—tides at least are regular, eh? But that is too long term.

Small utility scale solar can be done fairly quickly—we have plenty deserts and salt lakes. That will ease supply to the big cities. I think we will need to rely on these in the short term. Lakes Gairdner and Torrens could perhaps be used. Need storage and wind could supplement the solar—located nearby or wherever. Ultrahigh voltage DC line to transmit the power. Build small just never stop building. One technique but not enough.

If only fusion would be commercialised. Maybe with AI the magnetic containment can be managed.

I suggest people make sure they have rooftop solar and look into a windmill or two—only about $600 each, can provide power when the sun doesn’t shine, charge the battery up at night type of thing. I think brownouts, blackouts and load shedding will be increasing facts of life in thios country. Nobody has offered any realistic replacement of 10GWatt and that includes me.

Wind increasingly should be off shore: more wind, more constant wind and no NIMBYism! The hills behind Victor Harbot, Pt Elliot, Middleton here are ideal: wind for 364 days of the year. The other side of Backstairs Passage, Kangaroo Is is similarly blessed but they won’t have wind either. If I was energy czar I would load shed both those areas first, hah!

umm .5 gwh X 20 +10 gwh, ok maybe 21
Did you notice the projected overall cost is less price per KWH than just the cost of coal, not including the coal plant... I think you will find the Initial cost and running costs of a Nuke is more expensive as well and any engineer can say ohh this Nuke reactor is a good one, not like Japan or Russia, id rather look at history and not take the chance...
In the USA their whole government is trying to tear down renewable energy, yet the individuals and states are approving them because it's the cheapest solution... That is the reality..

For home use, just solar and Batteries, you can get biodiesel generators and even filters to make your own fairly cheep for those few days a year you need extra power....
As long as well have our love of cooking in oil we can access biodiesel

Yes offshore is more expensive but it seems the wind blows more and they are doing very well..
The fact is now, even with Battery backup, solar and wind is the cheapest source of new power and that includes Nuclear :purple


Yes, I know the cost of RE is less than that of coal. I do not think we can build enough fast enough with the Libs in power.

Biodiesel, that is an idea! Doubt by myself I would generate enough waste cooking oil but I bet the local chippy would give/sell me some. Need a filter etc and I have no idea how long it could be stored but that is just stuff to research: if biodiesel can power trucks it can power a generator! Heh, can also use it in a Coleman duel fuel camp cooker, save on LPG!

Looked in Ebay “Biodiesel” looks like additives can be bought, don’t see filters etc.
User avatar
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia
 
Posts: 53703
Joined: 27 Oct 2009, 14:37

Re: Forcing Moves... lol

Postby HBS Guy » 28 Jun 2019, 10:46

Would love someone to go through with biodiesel to power a generator and describe it here step by step. Myself I do not have mechanical aptitude and in any case looking after a 98yo with dementia and incontinence etc while obsessing about my house and garden in Tassie is quite enough!

Insomnia again last night, worked out a few things about the pergola and gazebo! Fixed the big one, how far from the house and how much space to leave for the gazebo. The smaller gazebo in front of the shed I have yet to work out but will.

Anyone game for making a biodiesel fuelled generator emergency back up power system?

Strongly urge people to invest in solar cells, windmills and even a biodiesel generator. Be at least partly independent of the grid, that is going to become a bit more urgent when Liddle closes!

One project I do want to do when building my house: a cellar. Good for storing root veges, apples, for maturing various types of booze :roll :bgrin Not as “simple” as I initially thought: lots of moisture deep down. Found that having the posts installed for the espalier system—will log moisture in the pergola holes (all the way to bedrock this time) and see exactly where the moisture is. Measure and log the depth of each hole, see if bedrock is flat, undulating or bowl shaped with water accumulating in the bowl: kind of important when building the house!
User avatar
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia
 
Posts: 53703
Joined: 27 Oct 2009, 14:37

PreviousNext

Return to Politics

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests