Forcing Moves... lol

Discuss politics and current affairs here.

Hot topic: The scourge of negative gearing, Friends of the NBN and wrecking lives.  The economy and Poll tracking— all the polls.

Special Feature 1: Peter Costello and our current deficits.
Special Feature 2: Dr Turnbull and the wrong NBN prescription
Special Feature 3: The Denigration of science, technology and education.
Forum rules
The rules for this board are in the Charter of Moderation. Politics is for serious discussion of politics, economics and current affairs.

Forcing Moves... lol

Postby Bongalong » 12 Jun 2019, 20:03

"Oi!"
Bongalong
Jaguar

spamone: Animal

Re: Forcing Moves... lol

Postby DonDeeHippy » 13 Jun 2019, 11:53

The energy minister, Angus Taylor, has not ruled out the Morrison government reversing the nuclear energy ban, if a “clear business case” showed the economics were sound as he dodged questions about how Australia would meet its Paris agreement targets.
SO basically he is telling the Nuke lobbyist they have to pay him and the libs more money than the coal industry is now, to get considered..... :purple
Bongalong... for some reason women are just so superior to anything that ever existed or will ever exist!
DonDeeHippy
Cheetah

Postby HBS Guy » 13 Jun 2019, 12:48

I am not against nuclear per se. Need stable, cratonised ground: 2/3 of Australia is cratonised. Need it to be out of reach of tsunamis, easy peasy.

Put it near Pt Augusta, have all the infrastructure there, run the riverland connector and we can supply SA, Vic & NSW, close of old dirty coal fired generators. Rail to Broken Hill where waste can be stored 1Km below ground in stable, dry mine shafts: only one lead/silver/zinc mine still going.

Insist that a university campus in nuclear science, nuclear engineering etc be set up, that waste heat be used to desalinate water etc. Used cooling water could be run into a salt lake, etc.

20% government ownership.

Funny thing is tho, hilarious in fact: to make nuclear competitive a carbon pricing mechanism needs to be in place. Without it nuclear is too expensive! That is why nuclear isn’t more popular. They can make it thorium powered if they like: would tell friends and not so friendlies we cannot make nuclear weapons from our reactor. SA would boom!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 13 Jun 2019, 12:49

We should do more: we should offer to take the world’s nuclear waste for processing, sincreting and storage in the BH mines. We would make so much money we could close the ATO!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby Bongalong » 13 Jun 2019, 13:04

HBS Guy wrote:I am not against nuclear per se. Need stable, cratonised ground: 2/3 of Australia is cratonised. Need it to be out of reach of tsunamis, easy peasy.

Put it near Pt Augusta, have all the infrastructure there, run the riverland connector and we can supply SA, Vic & NSW, close of old dirty coal fired generators. Rail to Broken Hill where waste can be stored 1Km below ground in stable, dry mine shafts: only one lead/silver/zinc mine still going.

Insist that a university campus in nuclear science, nuclear engineering etc be set up, that waste heat be used to desalinate water etc. Used cooling water could be run into a salt lake, etc.

20% government ownership.

Funny thing is tho, hilarious in fact: to make nuclear competitive a carbon pricing mechanism needs to be in place. Without it nuclear is too expensive! That is why nuclear isn’t more popular. They can make it thorium powered if they like: would tell friends and not so friendlies we cannot make nuclear weapons from our reactor. SA would boom!

It's an unwritten rule that the Americans don't want us to get into the Nuclear Power game.

I've told you this for years now...
:rofl
"Oi!"
Bongalong
Jaguar

Postby Bongalong » 13 Jun 2019, 13:05

HBS Guy wrote:We should do more: we should offer to take the world’s nuclear waste for processing, sincreting and storage in the BH mines. We would make so much money we could close the ATO!

Yeh, well: Australia is obviously the worlds toilet! :roll
"Oi!"
Bongalong
Jaguar

Postby HBS Guy » 13 Jun 2019, 14:45

The world environment would be much cleaner and safer.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby Bongalong » 13 Jun 2019, 14:50

HBS Guy wrote:The world environment would be much cleaner and safer.

Um, so by encouraging nuclear power you think Australia is cleaning up and saving the world?

You get a big fat zero for logic buddy :beer
"Oi!"
Bongalong
Jaguar

Postby HBS Guy » 13 Jun 2019, 18:41

By cleaning up the waste not properly processed and stored we would make the world environment cleaner and safer.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby johnsmith » 13 Jun 2019, 19:12

nah .... we don't need nuke power. Plenty of better, safer, cleaner alternatives
FD.
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.
johnsmith
Mastodon

Postby Bongalong » 13 Jun 2019, 19:56

HBS Guy wrote:By cleaning up the waste not properly processed and stored we would make the world environment cleaner and safer.

We would be encouraging a mistake.... they all agreed it was just to keep their finger in the Nuclear pie... :roll
"Oi!"
Bongalong
Jaguar

Postby HBS Guy » 13 Jun 2019, 21:09

Get a brain!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby Bongalong » 15 Jun 2019, 12:56

HBS Guy wrote:Get a brain!

You don't even know the Americans don't want us in the Nuclear Power game :roll
"Oi!"
Bongalong
Jaguar

Postby HBS Guy » 15 Jun 2019, 15:10

Who gives a fuck. We can buy nuke tech from UK, France, Germany, Iran. . .
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby Sprintcyclist » 15 Jun 2019, 20:01

HBS Guy wrote:Get a brain!

this is the attitude of the mod here
Sprintcyclist
Jaguar

Postby pinkeye » 15 Jun 2019, 21:33

I think HBS Guy is suggesting we act as a holder of Nuclear waste from around the world.

Notice I say HOLDER, because it isn't going any where else..!! unless we stick it regularly on a rocket, and fire it into the Sun. :bgrin :bgrin

But crikey,, :OMG a rocket failure..?? Disaster.
sleeping is good for you
pinkeye
Warthog

Postby HBS Guy » 16 Jun 2019, 19:50

We can hold it safely deep in a BH former lead/silver/zinc mine. Hard rock, no moisture, no leaks.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 16 Jun 2019, 20:03

We need to move immediately to find and prepare the site while negotiations proceed to buy a small, modular reactor. There are a lot of aging coal fired power stations that will reach the end of their economic life over the next decade. Nothing is being done to replace them.

Pt Augusta and Hazelwood have already shut, Liddel will shut in, what, 2022?

Nuclear is reliable and can provide baseload power which industry needs. It is expensive and not that flexible unless we have a modular system. As I said before, use thorium, very little different to uranium but no plutonium can be extract from the waste. To make it affordable—bring in a carbon price.

It is high time we started.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby pinkeye » 17 Jun 2019, 00:01

No No no .. it's OLD TECH.

We must have come up with something better... more Nuclear Power stations are not an option.
sleeping is good for you
pinkeye
Warthog

Postby HBS Guy » 17 Jun 2019, 00:26

You find some new tech and have it ready in 10 years.

Nothing wrong with nuclear.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby mothra » 17 Jun 2019, 00:31

HBS Guy wrote:You find some new tech and have it ready in 10 years.

Nothing wrong with nuclear.

Except the waste.
mothra
Duck

Postby pinkeye » 17 Jun 2019, 00:35

I'm saying there are better solutions.

Look at the time it took <12 months to create the large battery storage array in SA. Elon Musk proved such things are not just feasible, but necessary.
Everyone seems obsessed with massive installations.. I think this is the wrong path to take, when it is about burning fossil fuels, OR creating unnatural indestructible materials, that can cause harm for untold generations// ?? Especially in a country like Australia, where humans are basically either clustered in tiny rural areas, or in massive cities. ONE SIZE does NOT FIT ALL.

How can anyone, in good conscious, suggest this.? THERE are better options. OR... there WILL be.
sleeping is good for you
pinkeye
Warthog

Postby HBS Guy » 17 Jun 2019, 00:47

The waste can be managed. Nuclear is the only way to get multiple gigawatts of electricity in time to meet the decrease in supply as the older coal fired generators go offline. But we must start NOW!

At some stage fusion (also nuclear, also e=mc^2 ) will be perfected and truly will supply abundant clean power. Buy your new car, pour a glass of distilled water into the fuel tank—fuel for the life of the car. But magnetic containment of the plasman is still not achieved so we cannpt rely on fusion coming to the rescue. Working on fusion is an excellent task for CSIRO—imagine the royalties!

The libs have faffed around on energy for 6 years so far, totally incompetent and visionless. Need something and nuclear is the only option.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby mothra » 17 Jun 2019, 00:53

HBS Guy wrote:The waste can be managed. Nuclear is the only way to get multiple gigawatts of electricity in time to meet the decrease in supply as the older coal fired generators go offline. But we must start NOW!

At some stage fusion (also nuclear, also e=mc^2 ) will be perfected and truly will supply abundant clean power. Buy your new car, pour a glass of distilled water into the fuel tank—fuel for the life of the car. But magnetic containment of the plasman is still not achieved so we cannpt rely on fusion coming to the rescue. Working on fusion is an excellent task for CSIRO—imagine the royalties!

The libs have faffed around on energy for 6 years so far, totally incompetent and visionless. Need something and nuclear is the only option.

How can the waste be managed? Start to stop. With absolutely no possibility at any point along the line of leakage. Ever.
mothra
Duck

Postby HBS Guy » 17 Jun 2019, 00:59

CSIRO have a syncrete™ (something like that) encases a barrel of waste in a silcon envelope. Ship to Broken Hill, down a deep shaft, half bury in sand/gravel (mullock.) Foolproof. Breeder reactors can burn their own waste.

When cyclone Katrina hit New Orleans a lot of people like me worried about the nuke power station. I was told to worry about oil refineries more.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Next

Return to Politics