AFP RAID ABC HQ and The Sunday Telegraph.

Discuss politics and current affairs here.

Hot topic: The scourge of negative gearing, Friends of the NBN and wrecking lives.  The economy and Poll tracking— all the polls.

Special Feature 1: Peter Costello and our current deficits.
Special Feature 2: Dr Turnbull and the wrong NBN prescription
Special Feature 3: The Denigration of science, technology and education.
Forum rules
The rules for this board are in the Charter of Moderation. Politics is for serious discussion of politics, economics and current affairs.

Re: AFP RAID ABC HQ and The Sunday Telegraph.

Postby chris155au » 08 Jun 2019, 19:59

Aussie wrote:
chris155au wrote:
Aussie wrote:I have to admit that on occasions in the past I have posted that I was not happy that the 4th Estate got away with publishing stuff while not naming their source. Many schmedia outlets publish defamatory material and hide behind a source they refuse to disclose....so for that reason, I tend to doubt them. I have a view that whistle blowers need protection, sure, but not anonymity or immunity from legal repercussions.

I need to refine that.

Sounds more like a reversal than a refinement. Above, you say that whistle blowers shouldn't have immunity from legal repercussions, and below, you say that you demand that they are completely immune from any prosecution.

Aussie wrote:If they blow a whistle on any Government misdeed.....while I want them named, I demand that...IF they have been truthful, that they are completely immune from any prosecution and if required, go under witness protection for the duration, life if necessary.

Yes.

As in, it was a reversal?
chris155au
mountain lion

spamone: Animal

Postby chris155au » 08 Jun 2019, 19:59

Sprintcyclist wrote:
chris155au wrote:
HBS Guy wrote:I wish you either stop posting extremism or fuck off, Sprint.

Did he post extremism in this thread?

if it is not what HBS says, it is extreme.

:rofl That's about right!
chris155au
mountain lion

Postby Aussie » 08 Jun 2019, 19:59

No Chris. I said what it was.
Aussie
Minister for Foreign Affairs

Postby chris155au » 08 Jun 2019, 20:00

Aussie wrote:
Sprintcyclist wrote:
chris155au wrote:
HBS Guy wrote:I wish you either stop posting extremism or fuck off, Sprint.

Did he post extremism in this thread?

if it is not what HBS says, it is extreme.

Test that theory

Don't be a smart arse Mr Sprint. Don't.

Is he that far off? Even you doubted the assertion that Sprint was posting extremism.
chris155au
mountain lion

Postby chris155au » 08 Jun 2019, 20:02

Aussie wrote:No Chris. I said what it was.

So what is that whistle blowers CAN be charged with? Other than the obvious state employees leaking government documents. However I'm thinking more about private company employees.
chris155au
mountain lion

Postby Aussie » 08 Jun 2019, 20:07

chris155au wrote:
Aussie wrote:No Chris. I said what it was.

So what is that whistle blowers CAN be charged with? Other than the obvious state employees leaking government documents. However I'm thinking more about private company employees.

Ever heard of "Assange?" Ever heard of the requirement that public servants shut up about what goes on under threat of prosecution?

I am unconcerned about private company employees who whistle provided they are protected against financial loss.
Aussie

Postby pinkeye » 09 Jun 2019, 00:18

So to say it is OKAY for our government to do this is appalling.
BUT This government has done many APPALLING things, and got re-elected, so.. DO NOT EXPECT YOUR HUMAN RIGHTS to be respected here in Australia.
Not now, and not anytime soon.

Basically... there are none. :sad :? :WTF
sleeping is good for you
pinkeye
Warthog

Postby pinkeye » 09 Jun 2019, 00:19

Just

be careful out there people.
sleeping is good for you
pinkeye
Warthog

Postby Squire » 09 Jun 2019, 09:05

Aussie wrote:
HBS Guy wrote:No, you want Dutton to wear the swastika armband in public?

Journos get raided by the Keystone Kops aka the AFP because Herr Dutton wanted to suppress journalistic freedom and Sprint says the cunt should be more proactive and you don’t see the extremism? Really?

I think you are reading more into it than might have been intended. Maybe Mr Cyclist was hoping that he'd get more active on visa overstays.....who knows.

Sprintcyclist is a rabid extremist who would not be satisfied unless he was shown dead bodies of those races and foreigners he doesn't like.

The apparent quiet demeanor of Sprintcyclist conceals a boiling rage and hate.
Squire
mountain lion

Postby Bongalong » 09 Jun 2019, 16:41

Sprintcyclist wrote:
HBS Guy wrote:No, you want Dutton to wear the swastika armband in public?

Journos get raided by the Keystone Kops aka the AFP because Herr Dutton wanted to suppress journalistic freedom and Sprint says the cunt should be more proactive and you don’t see the extremism? Really?

All these words show biased not befitting of a mod.

try reading that with the abusive words removed
He's more than a mod... it's his site!

:bike :bike
"Oi!"
Bongalong
Warthog

Postby Bongalong » 09 Jun 2019, 16:45

chris155au wrote:
Bongalong wrote:
Chris has never heard of 'abuse of the law' and why laws change in the first place, lol!

Oh, has the legal case between the ABC and AFP been concluded? When did that happen?

He must have what's commonly knows among idiot kept children as 'business acumen' yet only the smarter ones know: you first need the skills to put on any type of show.

That's a poorly constructed sentence, so I have to think that it has the potential to make sense. Although, what's more likely is that it's just utter meaningless nonsense, no matter how well constructed it can be made.

Look how embarrassed the cops are....

Have they expressed embarrassment? Or are you just making shit up?

:bgrin It's an embarrassment to all of us as a once proud clever country who knowingly saddled it's kids with the worst technology available

What technology are you referring to?

GO OVERSEAS AND AUSTRALIANS JUST GET HATED ON FOR BEING STUCK UP PRETEND BOGANS AND THAT PROVED TO BE FOR VERY REAL REASONS ALL THESE YEARS.... :rofl

What is a "pretend bogan?"

It doesn't matter if it's been concluded or not: the facts are laws change all the time because the previous law needed superceding because it was being abused. The arrow of time means even man-made system breaks down.

You should get an education fella :Hi

Some of us actually know cops buddy!

Fibre-to-the-node is an international embarrassment and you will never be allowed to live it down by your very own kids kids kids... :rofl
"Oi!"
Bongalong
Warthog

Postby HBS Guy » 10 Jun 2019, 08:49

The whistleblower wanted to expose the politicians not criticise the troops.

https://thenewdaily.com.au/news/national/2019/06/09/sas-inquiry-whistleblower/
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby pinkeye » 10 Jun 2019, 23:16

No matter how much inane gabble goes on about this... NO democracy should enact, in LAW, provisions intended to obscure and obfuscate and hide what they are doing. In Government, In Law, OUR system requires transparency. !!

WELL I used to think it did. :stop :B

No more. Dutton's Home Office has already shown us what WE, the Australian public voted for. Guess we just have to suck it.
And like it.!!

:B :B :B
sleeping is good for you
pinkeye
Warthog

Postby mothra » 11 Jun 2019, 02:38

One good thing we've seen come out of this fascist bullshit is Ita's open letter.

If i had any doubt she was a plant, it has evaporated.

See? This is why she gets songs written about her. Even if it was by Cold Chisel.
mothra
Duck

Postby Bongalong » 11 Jun 2019, 14:00

mothra wrote:One good thing we've seen come out of this fascist bullshit is Ita's open letter.

See? This is why she gets songs written about her. Even if it was by Cold Chisel.

Did cold chisel write a song about ita ? :b
"Oi!"
Bongalong
Warthog

Postby HBS Guy » 11 Jun 2019, 16:18

mothra wrote:One good thing we've seen come out of this fascist bullshit is Ita's open letter.

Link pretty please?
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby Aussie » 11 Jun 2019, 16:28

HBS Guy wrote:

Link pretty please?

Aussie

Postby Sprintcyclist » 11 Jun 2019, 16:54

pinkeye wrote:No matter how much inane gabble goes on about this... NO democracy should enact, in LAW, provisions intended to obscure and obfuscate and hide what they are doing. In Government, In Law, OUR system requires transparency. !!

WELL I used to think it did. :stop :B

No more. Dutton's Home Office has already shown us what WE, the Australian public voted for. Guess we just have to suck it.
And like it.!!

:B :B :B

I love it.

Want to see us rightys go harder
Sprintcyclist
Jaguar

Postby HBS Guy » 11 Jun 2019, 17:55

Then the government changes—and goes after Sprint!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby pinkeye » 11 Jun 2019, 23:20

Aussie wrote:
HBS Guy wrote:

Link pretty please?

Excellent..one of their better works...
sleeping is good for you
pinkeye
Warthog

Postby pinkeye » 11 Jun 2019, 23:27

HBS Guy wrote:Then the government changes—and goes after Sprint!

What a sad view of Australia's future. BUT

it should NOT be discarded as meaningless....

Human history shows us that the tides of change may be resisted, for a time.

BUT
only for a time.

we are nothing more or less than the fly.... drawn to death , birthing many maggots that then … etc etc etc… only in this case..

EARTH is the carcass.

When there is nothing left to consume, we will die. Oh yeah we'll fly away .. for a while, until there is nowhere to fly to, and nothing left to eat.
sleeping is good for you
pinkeye
Warthog

Postby mothra » 12 Jun 2019, 09:24

HBS Guy wrote:

Link pretty please?

I can't find the entire statement as a text but most of it is encapsulated in this article:

ABC chair Ita Buttrose raises 'grave concerns' with minister over 'unprecedented' raids

"In my view, legitimate journalistic endeavours that expose flawed decision-making or matters that policy makers and public servants would simply prefer were secret, should not automatically and conveniently be classed as issues of national security," she said.

"The onus must always be on the public's right to know. If that is not reflected sufficiently in current law, then it must be corrected.

"Public interest is best served by the ABC doing its job, asking difficult questions and dealing with genuine whistle-blowers who risk their livelihoods and reputations to bring matters of grave import to the surface. Neither the journalists nor their sources should be treated as criminals."
mothra
Duck

Postby HBS Guy » 12 Jun 2019, 12:08

BOOM!

"Public interest is best served by the ABC doing its job, asking difficult questions and dealing with genuine whistle-blowers who risk their livelihoods and reputations to bring matters of grave import to the surface. Neither the journalists nor their sources should be treated as criminals."
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 12 Jun 2019, 12:10

Jesus!

At a press conference on Thursday, acting AFP commissioner Neil Gaughan said the ABC raid would not have been so public if the ABC had not filmed it and broadcast the footage.

"The only way it was turned into a public display was based on what the ABC did when we arrived yesterday," he said. "The ABC filmed it, which is their right, and they continued to tweet during the execution, which again is their right.

"The fact that was allowed to occur, without any hindrance whatsoever, does show the AFP supports freedom of the press."

What can you say?
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby Bongalong » 12 Jun 2019, 15:47

Lol, bullshitters are bullshitters: this country has been an increasing joke for a long time now!

Look at the price of houses.... the kids can't compete with the Asian century this country actually built and we still call them the my-generation because adults just don't give a flying fuck! Too busy trying to become self funded retirees so they can pretend the government had nothing to do with their lucky lot in life!

The media says f all aswell so they probably bloody deserve it actually lol :beer :bike :bike :bike :bike :bike :bike
"Oi!"
Bongalong
Warthog

PreviousNext

Return to Politics