My nbn

Discuss politics and current affairs here.

Hot topic: The scourge of negative gearing, Friends of the NBN and wrecking lives.  The economy and Poll tracking— all the polls.

Special Feature 1: Peter Costello and our current deficits.
Special Feature 2: Dr Turnbull and the wrong NBN prescription
Special Feature 3: The Denigration of science, technology and education.
Forum rules
The rules for this board are in the Charter of Moderation. Politics is for serious discussion of politics, economics and current affairs.

My nbn

Postby Sprintcyclist » 08 May 2019, 10:35

Is running well.
Not a glitch, perfect.
Sprintcyclist
Jaguar

spamone: Animal

Re: My nbn

Postby Aussie » 08 May 2019, 14:33

Don't have it yet. Don't want it.
Aussie
Minister for Foreign Affairs

Postby pinkeye » 08 May 2019, 22:46

Is shit.

Its taken 3 yrs... yeah I signed up in April 2016, to get a reliable service, BUT it is SLOW, and depends on power supply. Always was a retrograde effort.

Pathetic.
sleeping is good for you
pinkeye
Warthog

Postby Texan » 09 May 2019, 05:21

We have really good fiber optic internet available in most places. It hasn't spread out into all rural areas yet, but my cell phone internet is pretty good and what I use at home also.

I'd like to build my next and final home. I want it to be self sustaining, highly efficient, secure, low maintenance, and smart. I'll need very good internet for that.
Govern wisely, and as little as possible.
President Sam Houston
Texan
Cheetah

Postby Dax » 09 May 2019, 06:00

Texan wrote:We have really good fiber optic internet available in most places. It hasn't spread out into all rural areas yet, but my cell phone internet is pretty good and what I use at home also.

I'd like to build my next and final home. I want it to be self sustaining, highly efficient, secure, low maintenance, and smart. I'll need very good internet for that.

You don't need internet for a self sufficient technological home, you need a good safe stable LAN and operating system, not the crap the clones are enslaved to. My home is fully self sufficient and technologically advanced, there's no wireless in the home it's all wired, have fixed Wi-Fi NBN which just ok. Having lots of wireless in your home is a recipe for psychological trauma developing, what you need is autonomy from the multinationals and their never ending data mining and control.
Dax
Cheetah

Postby Texan » 09 May 2019, 07:57

Dax wrote:
Texan wrote:We have really good fiber optic internet available in most places. It hasn't spread out into all rural areas yet, but my cell phone internet is pretty good and what I use at home also.

You don't need internet for a self sufficient technological home, you need a good safe stable LAN and operating system, not the crap the clones are enslaved to. My home is fully self sufficient and technologically advanced, there's no wireless in the home it's all wired, have fixed Wi-Fi NBN which just ok. Having lots of wireless in your home is a recipe for psychological trauma developing, what you need is autonomy from the multinationals and their never ending data mining and control.

You're absolutely right, but I also want to be able to stream lots of music and video and access my house from my phone. A fiber optic LAN is lightning fast. A fiber optic line runs right by my neighborhood, but hasn't made it in yet. DSL is slow, satellite is fast but expensive and you might as well pay for TV also, radio based works well if you can put up a line of sight antenna. My area outside the city has limited options and I just use my cell phone until a better option becomes available or I move.
President Sam Houston
Texan
Cheetah

Postby Dax » 09 May 2019, 10:03

Texan wrote:
Dax wrote:

You're absolutely right, but I also want to be able to stream lots of music and video and access my house from my phone. A fiber optic LAN is lightning fast. A fiber optic line runs right by my neighborhood, but hasn't made it in yet. DSL is slow, satellite is fast but expensive and you might as well pay for TV also, radio based works well if you can put up a line of sight antenna. My area outside the city has limited options and I just use my cell phone until a better option becomes available or I move.

A LAN is a local area network in your home, not fibre optic from the street, unless you have FTTN, then you're stuffed. Looked into fibre optics for my LAN, the cost and installation hassles were more than I cared to get involved with at the time, it may be different now but the equipment you need to run a small fibre optic LAN, doesn't justify the cost in my opinion. The speeds from all the house terminals is adequate for all purposes and streaming isn't a problem, I watch large numbers of youtube music and movies daily when home and bored, at night that's all there is in my house, music.

You'll never have a secure NBN experience using windows or apple, same goes for android, they are all data miners and with apple and microsoft, you have no control over your computer as you don't own the system, but rent it, which gives the owners free reign to do what they want with your system and data, which they do,

Smart knowledgable people use systems which they control, are stable, safe, secure and can't have their data mined, hacked or intruded upon and in my experience there are very few of those types of people around. That's why the multinationals make so much money from all the fools they con and rip off daily.

Before anyone asks, I use open source systems, mint, kali, ubuntu studio and ubuntu touch on my phones. This way I own and control my systems, don't use anti virus, or firewalls, never get hacked never get ads, never get intrusions and never have shut downs or problems with my systems. All my systems are sandboxed and the NBN is isolated from the system completely as it goes through the servers and they are separately sandboxed as well. All with no drop in speeds and usability and that's real computing, not economically enslaved computing.
Dax
Cheetah

Postby Bongalong » 09 May 2019, 11:27

Hey, Texan: do you know that we built China and gave the kids copper internet as a legacy?

:roll

We gave up even trying to be the clever country a long long time ago.... THAT is what we're talking about! We are supposedly the super economy from the antipodes yet we hamstrung our kids with inferior technical infrastructure (-->to save mere shillings bruther :huh :WTF :WTF :WTF ) for the bulk of this century just as China was picking hundreds of millions out of poverty and educating them in all things digital.

We're not just stupid: we're outright psychotic and a danger to our own children, literally!

:Hi
"Oi!"
Bongalong
Warthog

Postby Texan » 09 May 2019, 12:27

Dax wrote:
Texan wrote:
Dax wrote:

A LAN is a local area network in your home, not fibre optic from the street, unless you have FTTN, then you're stuffed. Looked into fibre optics for my LAN, the cost and installation hassles were more than I cared to get involved with at the time, it may be different now but the equipment you need to run a small fibre optic LAN, doesn't justify the cost in my opinion. The speeds from all the house terminals is adequate for all purposes and streaming isn't a problem, I watch large numbers of youtube music and movies daily when home and bored, at night that's all there is in my house, music.

You'll never have a secure NBN experience using windows or apple, same goes for android, they are all data miners and with apple and microsoft, you have no control over your computer as you don't own the system, but rent it, which gives the owners free reign to do what they want with your system and data, which they do,

Smart knowledgable people use systems which they control, are stable, safe, secure and can't have their data mined, hacked or intruded upon and in my experience there are very few of those types of people around. That's why the multinationals make so much money from all the fools they con and rip off daily.

Before anyone asks, I use open source systems, mint, kali, ubuntu studio and ubuntu touch on my phones. This way I own and control my systems, don't use anti virus, or firewalls, never get hacked never get ads, never get intrusions and never have shut downs or problems with my systems. All my systems are sandboxed and the NBN is isolated from the system completely as it goes through the servers and they are separately sandboxed as well. All with no drop in speeds and usability and that's real computing, not economically enslaved computing.

I'm obviously not an IT guy and I have homework to do before and if I build. I suspect that I will hire the networking out once I determine what I want.
President Sam Houston
Texan
Cheetah

Postby Texan » 09 May 2019, 12:30

Bongalong wrote:

Hey, Texan: do you know that we built China and gave the kids copper internet as a legacy?

We gave up even trying to be the clever country a long long time ago.... THAT is what we're talking about! We are supposedly the super economy from the antipodes yet we hamstrung our kids with inferior technical infrastructure (-->to save mere shillings bruther :huh :WTF :WTF :WTF ) for the bulk of this century just as China was picking hundreds of millions out of poverty and educating them in all things digital.

We're not just stupid: we're outright psychotic and a danger to our own children, literally!

Our politicians gave China the technology to put a satellite (or an ICBM) into orbit. They are copying our fighter jets, and we give them our latest technology to copy and make for themselves in house. Stupidity is not exclusively in Australia.
President Sam Houston
Texan
Cheetah

Postby Bongalong » 09 May 2019, 14:25

Texan wrote:
Bongalong wrote:

Our politicians gave China the technology to put a satellite (or an ICBM) into orbit. They are copying our fighter jets, and we give them our latest technology to copy and make for themselves in house. Stupidity is not exclusively in Australia.

Fair enough: but this thread is abut the nbn in Australia :beer
"Oi!"
Bongalong
Warthog

Postby pinkeye » 09 May 2019, 20:39

Dax wrote:
Texan wrote:
Dax wrote:

WOW

I just as soon not have to use tech. You blow my mind.!
sleeping is good for you
pinkeye
Warthog

Postby Dax » 10 May 2019, 14:04

pinkeye wrote:
Dax wrote:
Texan wrote:
Dax wrote:

WOW

I just as soon not have to use tech. You blow my mind.!

I'm no techie, just like to control the things in my life and not be a slave to the corporate world or ignorance, which means I learn what I need to know about the things I use and take care of them myself. It's called freedom and the setup of the NBN along with the control of microsoft and apple, is not freedom, but enslavement. Of course most would reject that claim, but the facts are there for all to see and they only deny it because they can't handle the fact they are economic slaves, with no free choice or control over their lives.

Life would be so much simpler without all this tech stuff, but it has its advantages and it the NBN was properly laid out, we would have the best system in the world and virtually no problems. But the morons you all vote for, are only interested in their own delusions and the profit growth of their vested interests. It's pretty simple formula they use, promise the world to the people, then do the opposite so they can give their vested interests the maximum profit from installing the worst case scenario internet. So the cloned slaves then go and vote them back in so they can repeat their false promises and con the people again. It's pretty funny when you sit down a look at the facts, everyone puffing up their chests and claiming they have free choice, when they have the complete opposite.
Dax
Cheetah

Postby johnsmith » 10 May 2019, 18:19

Sprintcyclist wrote:Is running well.
Not a glitch, perfect.

mines not doing well tonight. A minute for a page turn , thats when it turns. Several times now it has timed out. :mad :mad

We can't even blame the weather today :nah

Libs NBN sux big time
FD.
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.
johnsmith
Mastodon

Postby pinkeye » 10 May 2019, 22:00

ah so finally you get on NBN. It is a shock isn't it.?
No matter that Myself, and many others here have told you all, in uncounted posts, how bad NBN is, and usually all you get back is mine is fine. Or haven't got it yet... :roll :roll ... it remains a big shock to find out that the NBN is inferior to ADSL. :bgrin :bgrin

For that reason ALONE this government needs SACKING. ( and thats not counting all the other STUFF)
sleeping is good for you
pinkeye
Warthog

Postby johnsmith » 11 May 2019, 07:30

pinkeye wrote:ah so finally you get on NBN. It is a shock isn't it.?
No matter that Myself, and many others here have told you all, in uncounted posts, how bad NBN is, and usually all you get back is mine is fine. Or haven't got it yet... :roll :roll ... it remains a big shock to find out that the NBN is inferior to ADSL. :bgrin :bgrin

For that reason ALONE this government needs SACKING. ( and thats not counting all the other STUFF)

I've been on the NBN ever since I moved house last August. :thumb
FD.
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.
johnsmith
Mastodon

Postby Sprintcyclist » 11 May 2019, 08:18

johnsmith wrote:
Not a glitch, perfect.

mines not doing well tonight. A minute for a page turn , thats when it turns. Several times now it has timed out. :mad :mad

Libs NBN sux big time

Wow, that is amazingly bad.
This is the first genuine complaint about the nbn I have heard. All the others are vague generalisations.

Have you tried another company ? Or a different speed?
Sprintcyclist
Jaguar

Postby johnsmith » 11 May 2019, 08:34

Sprintcyclist wrote:
johnsmith wrote:
Not a glitch, perfect.

Libs NBN sux big time

This is the first genuine complaint about the nbn I have heard. All the others are vague generalisations.

It's not uncommon at my place. I'm supposed to be on 50mbps. They've (telstra and NBN) replaced both my modems which helped a little with the number of drop outs, but it still plays up every now and then. This morning seems to be much better. I suspect Friday afternoons there are a lot of people online so traffic was high. Sundays my internet is also typically slow, especially if it's raining, as that's a busy internet time.

I can't try another company until my contract with telstra expires in another 1.5yrs.
FD.
johnsmith
Mastodon

Postby Dax » 11 May 2019, 10:38

Sprintcyclist wrote:
johnsmith wrote:
Not a glitch, perfect.

Libs NBN sux big time

You must live in a vacum, all I hear from people is their nbn is crap. I"m on 50/25 and it has never got over 35mps download or 10mps upload. most days it hangs round 15-25mps. Changing companies makes no difference as it's the nbn equipment that determines your speed, not your provider. Even a good modem won't help much, it's all determined by the standard of the equipment and it's capabilities, FTTN is absolutely crap and really pathetic speeds, FTTH, is a bit better from what I'm told, gixed wifi is pathetic as well with terrible speeds and dropouts. They have used cheap inadequate equipment in the system, so they can maximise the wages of the board and executive management, who are paid over 1 million a year each, plus bonuses, All courtesy of the libs and labs, nothing but the best for them and crap for the people, keep voting these insane god nutters in for a better life. :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :S

What makes me laugh is all these idiots who lock themselves into contracts with rip off companies, then complain they are stuck with the crap they overpaid for. You can't beat clones for dumb stupidity. :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :grn
Dax
Cheetah

Postby johnsmith » 11 May 2019, 16:36

Dax wrote:What makes me laugh is all these idiots who lock themselves into contracts with rip off companies, then complain they are stuck with the crap they overpaid for. You can't beat clones for dumb stupidity.

no, stupidity is pretending it actually makes a difference whether you lock yourself in or not after making this comment

Dax wrote:Changing companies makes no difference as it's the nbn equipment that determines your speed, not your provider

:oops :oops
FD.
johnsmith
Mastodon

Postby Sprintcyclist » 11 May 2019, 17:14

johnsmith wrote:
Sprintcyclist wrote:
johnsmith wrote:
Not a glitch, perfect.

Libs NBN sux big time

It's not uncommon at my place. I'm supposed to be on 50mbps. They've (telstra and NBN) replaced both my modems which helped a little with the number of drop outs, but it still plays up every now and then. This morning seems to be much better. I suspect Friday afternoons there are a lot of people online so traffic was high. Sundays my internet is also typically slow, especially if it's raining, as that's a busy internet time.

I can't try another company until my contract with telstra expires in another 1.5yrs.

thanks for your mature sensible comments John

that is a pity to hear
Sprintcyclist
Jaguar

Postby pinkeye » 11 May 2019, 22:23

johnsmith wrote:
Dax wrote:What makes me laugh is all these idiots who lock themselves into contracts with rip off companies, then complain they are stuck with the crap they overpaid for. You can't beat clones for dumb stupidity.

no, stupidity is pretending it actually makes a difference whether you lock yourself in or not after making this comment

Dax wrote:Changing companies makes no difference as it's the nbn equipment that determines your speed, not your provider

:oops :oops

That's ok .. I couldn't believe the lies and misinformation I was told when I signed up for NBN. I was in the second stage roll-out, as far as I can figure.... The first FTTP roll-out... That was the start with Labor. The HAPPY people got those connections...

Then an election, Then along came Malcolm Turnbull.

My area was an early area for NBN, after that election and like a fool, I took it up early.

It has taken three years to get a reliable, if slow service. Uncounted hours and hours on the phone to Telstra NBN etc.

For three yrs I have paid for a service I hvnt rcvd.. and I got some recourse for my complaints.. a small rebate against my bills, for 3 MONTHS. I gave up eventually, I was always assured that NBN was working on it...

I have the cheapest possible 'bundle' with Telstra. And I am outside any plan time-scale .. but there is no point in changing....the infrastructure remains the same.

now? I might get 25 M whatevers, most of the time. Whoopee.

It is SHIT.
sleeping is good for you
pinkeye
Warthog

Postby HBS Guy » 12 May 2019, 04:20

My area was about to get FTTH, all the Telstra infrastructure (pits) had been highlighted with yellow paint, then the idiot Libs with their subservience to Merde-och got in. . .

The copper down my street was so bad not even voice, very low bandwidth, worked for me so I opted for wireless with Optus. Sometime after cutting my area over to dreadful FTTN—more dreadful here than NZ & UK because the Telstra copper, even if in perfect repair, is too thin for any kind of high speed broadband—I saw a technician in the street wandering around with copper cable. The bastard Libs had bought German copper to replace the rotten Telstra copper. Replacing yesterdays technology with yesterdays technology! What a fucking waste of money!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby pinkeye » 12 May 2019, 05:06

Not just that... It is a con.
We bought the spiel, we pay the price. Turnbull is in New York.. he doesn't have to rely on NBN for HIS business, you can be assured of that.!!
sleeping is good for you
pinkeye
Warthog

Postby Dax » 12 May 2019, 09:38

pinkeye wrote:Not just that... It is a con.
We bought the spiel, we pay the price. Turnbull is in New York.. he doesn't have to rely on NBN for HIS business, you can be assured of that.!!

The majority buys the spiel, because they want to as it's easier to believe bullshit than do their own research and make informed decisions. Having a contract with an extremely expensive company, when there are many other options half the price and provide better service, makes no sense whatsoever. But that's what clones do when the alternatives make more sense, save you time and money and allow you the freedom of choice and to move when you find a better deal.

Getting good service when you have problems is the key to decent NBN and in my experience, the big companies fail in that respect all the time. If I ever have a problem, my service provider is contactable instantly and make the effort to have it fixed. You talk to real people in Aus who understand what;s happening, when I had real problems a few months ago with speeds below 10mps all day and lots of drop outs, but was paying for 50mps, they hassled the NBN who at first said they couldn't fix it for at least 6 months. I pointed out to the company that they and the nbn were advertising 50mps services, but were only providing 10mps and that amounted to fraudulent advertising, so demanded a refund for the entire time and advised the provider to sue NBN for misrepresentation and fraud. I sent a copy of my email to the NBN and communications ombudsman, minister for communications and idiot local member. Got a refund of half my payments from nbn (not the provider) and within 3 weeks they were upgrading our tower.

Now I get up to 35mps and my provide sent me an email thanking me for the way I went about getting the service fixed, as they were unaware of the situation. It seems the NBN was telling them speeds were fine when their own systems showed my speeds were pathetic. Neighbours I've talked to tell me telstra and optus, had rejected their claims of low speed and most never got a reply from them at all. Those that did were told it was their modem and they needed a telstra/ optus/other rips off, modem.

These fools who aren't getting the service they pay for and claim they can't change because they are contracted, are to stupid to realise the law allows them to break a contract, when the provider is not providing the service they are paying for and sue the provider for the cost of the non service. But stupid is as stupid does.
Dax
Cheetah

Next

Return to Politics