Federal Election 2019—the campaign

Discuss politics and current affairs here.

Hot topic: The scourge of negative gearing, Friends of the NBN and wrecking lives.  The economy and Poll tracking— all the polls.

Special Feature 1: Peter Costello and our current deficits.
Special Feature 2: Dr Turnbull and the wrong NBN prescription
Special Feature 3: The Denigration of science, technology and education.
Forum rules
The rules for this board are in the Charter of Moderation. Politics is for serious discussion of politics, economics and current affairs.

Re: Federal Election 2019—the campaign

Postby Bongalong » 01 May 2019, 11:03

HBS Guy wrote:Green has the Greens completely wrong. They are not progressive but neoliberals and right wing in fact.

Is hatty greens? ....no wonder I smelt something a-drift :rofl
"Oi!"
Bongalong
Warthog

spamone: Animal

Postby Bongalong » 01 May 2019, 11:04

hatty wrote:and that there explains my disclaimer

shame it aint gonna make a jot of difference in my electorate

That does nothing to explain your disclaimer :rofl :rofl
"Oi!"
Bongalong
Warthog

Postby hatty » 01 May 2019, 11:05

noted drah

i shall not be voting for the greens this election

carry on
hatty
Cheetah

Postby pinkeye » 05 May 2019, 02:53

more than usual

because

all of the young people who enrolled over the LGBTIA campaign. The Libs will rue the day they orchestrated the plebiscite.

All these new young minds, tuned to the political miasma for the first time, in a Federal Election...???

Any thing could happen. ! :bgrin
sleeping is good for you
pinkeye
Warthog

Postby hatty » 05 May 2019, 05:51

I'm trying to be optimistic ........

I hope you are right pink
hatty
Cheetah

Postby pinkeye » 05 May 2019, 23:16

the campaign... :roll thank goodness we don't have months and months of this shit.

I briefly caught some of the campaigning.. I have to say I find Morrison presents as the quintessential bully.

All roar and no substance. +

I'd like to say the LIB/NAT Coalition is a gonna.. if all things were fair and equal they'd not be game to lift their noses above the sludge they live in for years to come, BUT.....

… we live in a new world. Who knows what all this propaganda will do to people. The lies are scurrilous.. and Morrison is the King when it comes to that.

Perhaps that is our new reality. ?

Still, I find it hard to divorce myself from this identity - driven campaign.

It really isn't about Morrison vs Shorten, it's about their policies.

I am dismayed when I hear people saying ooh I'd never vote for Shorten..I don't like him....

WELL?? YOU don't get to, unless you're in his electorate.
No... people have to de-program themselves from all the hype. I am turning it off evrytime I hear about the election. I am disgusted at the antics of Morrison tho. I guess he figures it's his last chance to perform on the National stage... surely something he could have only dreamed about earlier in his life.

Lets all hope he disappears into history.

I love Keating's description of him today, :bgrin

A fossil.... :bgrin :bgrin :bgrin :bgrin :bgrin
sleeping is good for you
pinkeye
Warthog

Postby mothra » 05 May 2019, 23:35

pinkeye wrote:more than usual

because

all of the young people who enrolled over the LGBTIA campaign. The Libs will rue the day they orchestrated the plebiscite.

All these new young minds, tuned to the political miasma for the first time, in a Federal Election...???

Any thing could happen. ! :bgrin

For the first time, Millennials and Gen X outnumber the Baby Boomers.And climate change will be a huge consideration.

Young people are pretty toey about that one.
mothra
Duck

Postby pinkeye » 05 May 2019, 23:44

well so am I.
Very.

I feel for all the young folk who will have to deal with the mess we leave ( yes I am a Baby boomer).
Not a typical one by any means, BUT.. god I'm glad I am of my generation.

We had the best of all possible worlds, and we fucked it up.
Someone else gets to suffer the consequences. :sad
sleeping is good for you
pinkeye
Warthog

Postby mothra » 05 May 2019, 23:53

pinkeye wrote:well so am I.
Very.

I feel for all the young folk who will have to deal with the mess we leave ( yes I am a Baby boomer).
Not a typical one by any means, BUT.. god I'm glad I am of my generation.

We had the best of all possible worlds, and we fucked it up.
Someone else gets to suffer the consequences. :sad

I'm a Xer and my Millennial daughter is blaming us now ,,, even though we had a good shot at it, we didn't do nearly enough. I maintain we tried, but we were simply outnumbered. I was door-knocking about the Greenhouse Effect in the early '90s for Greenpeace when i was a teenager. Nobody believed us.

But every generation blames the one before it.

Hilariously, i have gen Z son who is going to go on and blame his sister. And i will laugh.
mothra
Duck

Postby pinkeye » 06 May 2019, 03:13

the human condition
sleeping is good for you
pinkeye
Warthog

Postby HBS Guy » 07 May 2019, 19:42

NBN Co is facing mounting losses. Well, d’uh, run out a bunch of crap over copper rotten beyond suitability for voice and expect soaring revenues?

https://itwire.com/telecoms-and-nbn/86926-no-fanfare-as-nbn-co-reports-3q-revenue-rise-of-45-,-mounting-losses.html

This is a Lib fuckup that will handicap business (SME) for decades unless fixed promptly.

The:
a loss of $2.7 billion for the financial year so far. This takes the accumulated losses to $20.7 billion over the lifespan of the company.

That $21Bn needs to be taken onto the Budget, blowing the Libs’ “surplus” to smithereens.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 08 May 2019, 07:16

IT News commenting the NBN is not mentioned in the campaign. Well, d’uh, what is there to say? It is mostly a complete waste of money with many worse of now than with ADSL which is more fault tolerant and does not lose bandwidth so fast over longer distances. ARPU is stuck at $45 a month, NBN co needs $52 to break even. Good luck with mobile internet, 5G not far away, taking lots of business away especially from the dreadful FTTN.

Labor is going to have to spend another $30-40Bn to fix the mess the Libs made of the NBN but do not want to broadcast this. When they win election they can change new rollouts back to FTTH and encourage FibreChoice at cost price, shared by anyone along the route who wants FTTH too.

The Libs have REALLY made sure that no one would get FTTH under them. They have rolled out new copper where even they had to admit the Telstra copper was rotten, changed the name from FibreChoice and AreaConnect so that fibre was no longer in the name and made it expensive just to get a quote then the quotes were idiotically expensive. Wireless NBN towers were connected back to the exchange by microwaves not fibre—microwave does not have enough bandwidth.

Yet the bullet will have to be bitten at some stage as the copper is beyond economic life and will deteriorate so fibre (or copper if the idiot Libs get back) will have to be run out before 10 years have passed, all the time 5G will make inroads.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 08 May 2019, 07:40

The NBN is a dud:

If you live in one of Australia’s biggest cities there’s a one in two chance that you’ll be dudded with an inferior NBN connection. . . .

The data suggested that between 40 and 60 per cent of homes in those cities would be connected via “very old technology” known as hybrid fibre-coaxial (HFC).

https://thenewdaily.com.au/life/tech/2019/05/07/nbn-hfc-australia/

So FTTN is crap and so is the HFC choice. Turnbull is a fucking idiot! His much touted, never acknowledging informed criticism, FTTN/HFC are crap. HFC is partly stuffed by most bandwidth going to FoxTel, the cost blew out because many people in the HFC areas never got a lead in, etc.

Labor has to pull all this apart and show how these technologies never could have worked and that this was known by the Libs at the time they decided to destroy the NBN. They deserve to be in the wilderness for fifty years for what they did!

The yanks can’t afford to laugh. Search here on Chattanooga, see how brilliant their FTTH worked and also read how competitors prevented other cities from copying this. Google Cities hasn’t run out much fibre lately (could be wrong on this.)

Probably a more in-depth look at this: https://theconversation.com/around-50-of-homes-in-sydney-melbourne-and-brisbane-have-the-oldest-nbn-technology-115131
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 08 May 2019, 08:20

Hawke and Keating jointly write an oped on the election, predictably slamming Scummo and praising the Labor economic plan:

https://www.smh.com.au/federal-election-2019/scott-morrison-is-flying-in-the-face-of-history-with-his-fallacious-claim-20190507-p51kts.html

(Haven’t read it yet.)
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 08 May 2019, 08:25

The RBA kept rates at a too-low 1.5%. Hitting savers and retirees very hard.

Artcle on why:

Bullshit of course, interest rates are an excellent brake but a lousy accelerator. Govt needs to spend money to get money into the private sector. Raising the NewStart allowance by $100 per week an excellent start, pensions can be given a once-off boost perhaps. Start running out FTTH to rescue the NBN another. Get rid of highly paid execs who have done nothing but stuff up and appoint someone experienced at network rollouts for a modest salary. Past NBN CEOs under the Libs are paid handsomely to lie about the NBN, that crap has to stop! Plenty other infrastructure can ne built, public transport especially, cities are choking with cars.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 08 May 2019, 16:06

Want a laugh from a lacklustre campaign?

https://www.smh.com.au/federal-election-2019/christian-group-rally-with-muslims-targeting-godless-alp-ahead-of-election-20190506-p51kkh.html

ehehehehehe! No abortion, no gay marriage! No rape in marriage! What do we want? The 800s! When do we want (to go back there?) NOW!

Hey Sprint? Your platform? Except no Muslims and preferably no Jews either? No tinted races apart as slaves?
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 08 May 2019, 20:25

Third debate was tonight. Fucking dull.

But the feeling was Bill won it narrowly. Even RW hacks had to concede that.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby pinkeye » 08 May 2019, 22:26

I started to watch the great debate, but then a girlfriend rang I hadn't heard from for a while.. so I missed most of it.. Can't say I'm sorry. And now..? no more debates/// it's down to the media propaganda, and the will of the people.
sleeping is good for you
pinkeye
Warthog

Postby pinkeye » 08 May 2019, 22:26

we were on the ph for over an hour/ :bgrin
sleeping is good for you
pinkeye
Warthog

Postby HBS Guy » 11 May 2019, 08:37

One thing about this campaign: Shorten did NOT make the almost obligatory visit to see Mordor. Mordor reacted by publishing the story about his Mum that Bill squelched magnificently. Labor has not asked for favors of Merde-och!

Will there be more ditty tricks and mudslinging by Mordor? It looks like Labor will win, he might decide to make friendly noises because a Labor govt will not look kindly at him, licenses to operate and broadcast etc come up for renewal etc, Labor might decide to start replacing FTTN rubbish with FTTH etc undercutting his FoxTel revenues, the only profitable part of his empire here, newspapers being so last century.

Whatever he does will not work. The later the old cunt leaves it the more people have prepolled. If he tried serious mudslinging and it does not work he would be in a world of pain. His reign as politics maker is over. If he results in Labor getting 77 seats and not more that is excellent: a 55:45 is very satisfying but a large and idle backbench is a headache for any leader of either side so 77 will keep the team focussed and disciplined.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby johnsmith » 11 May 2019, 16:41

HBS Guy wrote:His reign as politics maker is over

don't be so naive so as to believe that. It's a lot harder to lie when libs are govt. and the public are living the libs lies.

Murduck is at his most dangerous when labor are in govt. Every single decision they make will be turned on it's head by by him, and the libs 'promises of how to fix it' will be heralded as the great solutions even with no detail.
FD.
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.
johnsmith
Mastodon

Postby pinkeye » 11 May 2019, 22:37

oh well.. he'll likely die soon.
sleeping is good for you
pinkeye
Warthog

Postby HBS Guy » 12 May 2019, 05:34

His Mum lived past 100, so his evil influence will last a bit yet.

Paste this into Google—a Government Gazette (the Australian :read —article on how good Labor’s financial reforms will be:

numbers-demonstrate-a-turning-point-shortens-ready-to-govern/news-story/51c1c53d0378da0b8cf6fe24ec85fc76
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby pinkeye » 13 May 2019, 22:01

I have no doubt.. BUT the CAMPAIGN...? I turn off whenever I can BUT... what about the media propaganda the Lib/Nats are running.?

They're timed here... first we hear how bad labor is, then a harmless commercial, then Morrison ranting about their economic ability. What a pile of shit. We are teetering on a recession... this guy tells lies with impunity, because it seems THEY don't feel constrained to honesty in their campaign propaganda, in that they claim they have a right to deceive in an election campaign. Well we know that. :roll

What concerns me is Scott Morrison is running this campaign like a public relations/sales process. Are we THAT venal.? Is he right in his contempt for us, the voters..?
I don't believe we are stupid enough to buy his SPIN... but time will tell.

Bring on Saturday.
sleeping is good for you
pinkeye
Warthog

PreviousNext

Return to Politics