Get over it: Americans are allowed to have guns!

Discuss politics and current affairs here.

Hot topic: The scourge of negative gearing, Friends of the NBN and wrecking lives.  The economy and Poll tracking— all the polls.

Special Feature 1: Peter Costello and our current deficits.
Special Feature 2: Dr Turnbull and the wrong NBN prescription
Special Feature 3: The Denigration of science, technology and education.
Forum rules
The rules for this board are in the Charter of Moderation. Politics is for serious discussion of politics, economics and current affairs.

Re: Get over it: Americans are allowed to have guns!

Postby pinkeye » 08 Jun 2019, 22:51

Really GOOD to see Nouri got Prison for 12 yrs.

He claimed self-defense--- essentially. Fearful for his life BLAH BLAH from a lady in pyjamas..

I mean This man should NEVER EVER have been a Police officer. A Somali.. he would likely have seen shit like no-one judging him , had ever seen.. he was not fit to be a police officer, and that is proven, and that family SHOULD SUE the responsible government partie s.

Just ONE example of the lax attitude of the US govts to gun misuse.
sleeping is good for you
pinkeye
Warthog

spamone: Animal

Postby SethBullock » 09 Jun 2019, 02:12

pinkeye wrote:Really GOOD to see Nouri got Prison for 12 yrs.

He claimed self-defense--- essentially. Fearful for his life BLAH BLAH from a lady in pyjamas..

I mean This man should NEVER EVER have been a Police officer. A Somali.. he would likely have seen shit like no-one judging him , had ever seen.. he was not fit to be a police officer, and that is proven, and that family SHOULD SUE the responsible government partie s.

I'm glad he got prison, and you're right. This man was not mentally fit to be a police officer. People in the police department knew it, but the Chief and his political bosses wanted to overlook his faults for the sake of having a Somali-American in the police department. This is what happens when people play political and ideological games in the hiring and retention of people in a position like this. Had he not been of Somalian descent, they would have dismissed him before this tragic event.

The City of Minneapolis has settled with the family of Justine Ruszczyk for $20 million.
"At least he's not Hillary" - Hatty

"There's only one solution: MORE guns!" - greggerypeccary

... "mr know it all" - Bongalong
SethBullock
Jaguar

Postby SethBullock » 09 Jun 2019, 11:09

The best police officers you can find are people who are willing to shoot if necessary, while, at the same time, not jumpy and fearful. Mohammed Noor was not one of those people.

He was a symbol only, because of his ethnic background. But he was wrong, wrong, wrong for police work. And the political powers in Minneapolis at the time didn't care about that. They wanted their "symbol" more than they wanted a good police officer, and they bear responsibility for the outcome.

I hope Minneapolis has learned its lesson.

My sincere condolences to Justine's loved ones.

Seth

SethBullock
Jaguar

Postby Bongalong » 09 Jun 2019, 16:54

SethBullock wrote:

I'm glad he got prison, and you're right. This man was not mentally fit to be a police officer. People in the police department knew it, but the Chief and his political bosses wanted to overlook his faults for the sake of having a Somali-American in the police department. This is what happens when people play political and ideological games in the hiring and retention of people in a position like this. Had he not been of Somalian descent, they would have dismissed him before this tragic event.

The City of Minneapolis has settled with the family of Justine Ruszczyk for $20 million.

That's a strong statement: I'd hate to think it was true but tragedy is tragic..
"Oi!"
Bongalong
Jaguar

Postby Bongalong » 09 Jun 2019, 16:58

SethBullock wrote:The best police officers you can find are people who are willing to shoot if necessary, while, at the same time, not jumpy and fearful. Mohammed Noor was not one of those people.

He was a symbol only, because of his ethnic background. But he was wrong, wrong, wrong for police work. And the political powers in Minneapolis at the time didn't care about that. They wanted their "symbol" more than they wanted a good police officer, and they bear responsibility for the outcome.

Seth

Very tough job: the boys in blue deserve everyones respect.

Trump won because he called for law and order and America knew it was time to bring some respect back into the appaling game of hate being played over and over on the radio and tv and movie theatres of America.

His Mexico deal will win him the 2020 election because of exactly this: anarchy is anarchy and nobody wants to continue down that path to nowhere. GO TRUMP!
"Oi!"
Bongalong
Jaguar

Postby SethBullock » 10 Jun 2019, 00:54

Bongalong wrote:
SethBullock wrote:

That's a strong statement: I'd hate to think it was true but tragedy is tragic..

Look at this from Wiki:

On July 15, 2017, Justine Ruszczyk, also known as Justine Damond,[2][3] a 40-year-old Australian-American woman, was shot and killed by Mohamed Noor, a Somali-American Minneapolis Police Department officer,

In two years as a police officer, Noor had three formal complaints against him, two of which, as of September 2017, were pending resolution. In a separate case from May 2017, he is being sued for allegedly assaulting a woman while on duty.[19]
(Note that this was 2 months before the shooting.)

Following the deadly shooting, the Star Tribune reported Noor's police training had been "fast tracked", making reference to the seven-month immersive training program for cadets; some suburban police departments see the cadet programs as a way to add diversity to their police forces quickly.[20] Noor's police training had been part of the cadet program for the Minneapolis Police Department, an accelerated[20] seven-month program aimed at candidates who already have a college degree and wish to enter law enforcement. Former police chief Janeé Harteau stood by Noor's training:

We have a very robust training and hiring process ... This officer completed that training very well, just like every officer. He was very suited to be on the street ... I believe the actions in question go against who we are as a department, how we train, and the expectations we are as a department. These were the actions of one individual.[21]

On July 23, 2017, MPD and Council Member Elizabeth Glidden denied news reports of there being a "fast-track" seven-month MPD training program.[22][23] In September 2018, it was reported that in 2015 two psychiatrists and other training officers had raised concerns about Noor's fitness for police duty.[24]

When you have training officers and two psychiatrists warning you that this young officer is not fit for duty, you fire him. That's what you do. You don't keep him. Add to that 3 formal complaints and being sued for assaulting a woman while on duty in his short 21 month career.

The former Chief's statement that "He was very suited to be on the street" is shocking. Un-effing-believable!

This is a sad and tragic example of why you don't lower your standards when hiring police officers, no matter how badly you want to bring diversity to the police department. I'm not against diversity. But upholding high standards must outweigh other considerations. If the Minneapolis PD had done that, this would not have happened.

Seth

SethBullock
Jaguar

Postby Auggie » 11 Jun 2019, 16:48

SethBullock wrote:
Bongalong wrote:
SethBullock wrote:

Look at this from Wiki:

On July 15, 2017, Justine Ruszczyk, also known as Justine Damond,[2][3] a 40-year-old Australian-American woman, was shot and killed by Mohamed Noor, a Somali-American Minneapolis Police Department officer,

In two years as a police officer, Noor had three formal complaints against him, two of which, as of September 2017, were pending resolution. In a separate case from May 2017, he is being sued for allegedly assaulting a woman while on duty.[19]

Following the deadly shooting, the Star Tribune reported Noor's police training had been "fast tracked", making reference to the seven-month immersive training program for cadets; some suburban police departments see the cadet programs as a way to add diversity to their police forces quickly.[20] Noor's police training had been part of the cadet program for the Minneapolis Police Department, an accelerated[20] seven-month program aimed at candidates who already have a college degree and wish to enter law enforcement. Former police chief Janeé Harteau stood by Noor's training:

We have a very robust training and hiring process ... This officer completed that training very well, just like every officer. He was very suited to be on the street ... I believe the actions in question go against who we are as a department, how we train, and the expectations we are as a department. These were the actions of one individual.[21]

On July 23, 2017, MPD and Council Member Elizabeth Glidden denied news reports of there being a "fast-track" seven-month MPD training program.[22][23] In September 2018, it was reported that in 2015 two psychiatrists and other training officers had raised concerns about Noor's fitness for police duty.[24]

When you have training officers and two psychiatrists warning you that this young officer is not fit for duty, you fire him. That's what you do. You don't keep him. Add to that 3 formal complaints and being sued for assaulting a woman while on duty in his short 21 month career.

The former Chief's statement that "He was very suited to be on the street" is shocking. Un-effing-believable!

This is a sad and tragic example of why you don't lower your standards when hiring police officers, no matter how badly you want to bring diversity to the police department. I'm not against diversity. But upholding high standards must outweigh other considerations. If the Minneapolis PD had done that, this would not have happened.

Seth

See, this is main problem with policing in America - it's under the control of local governments instead of State Governments. In Australia, all police forces are State-controlled.

The problem with local law enforcement being controlled by local government is the fact that there are so many different policing standards and rules for admittance; second, local policing makes corruption easier since all you have to do is bribe the local mayor. It's harder to bribe the Governor or even the President.

America should move to a State policing system - that way they would have 50 different standards as opposed to over one thousand standards.
Apart from chattel slavery, Jim Crow, John C Calhoun, the Robber Barons, the Civil War, George Wallace, segregation, Ronald Reagan, violent crime, serial killers and Donald Trump, what makes America the shittest nation on earth?
Auggie
Pain in the Butt

Postby SethBullock » 11 Jun 2019, 23:19

Auggie wrote:
SethBullock wrote:
Bongalong wrote:
SethBullock wrote:

Look at this from Wiki:

Seth

See, this is main problem with policing in America - it's under the control of local governments instead of State Governments. In Australia, all police forces are State-controlled.

The problem with local law enforcement being controlled by local government is the fact that there are so many different policing standards and rules for admittance; second, local policing makes corruption easier since all you have to do is bribe the local mayor. It's harder to bribe the Governor or even the President.

America should move to a State policing system - that way they would have 50 different standards as opposed to over one thousand standards.

Except that a system like that is more insulated from accountability to the public. In the Minneapolis case, the police chief was fired less than a week after the shooting, and the mayor lost her reelection bid that year.

SethBullock
Jaguar

Postby pinkeye » 12 Jun 2019, 01:48

SethBullock wrote:The best police officers you can find are people who are willing to shoot if necessary, while, at the same time, not jumpy and fearful. Mohammed Noor was not one of those people.

Seth

Mine too
sleeping is good for you
pinkeye
Warthog

Postby pinkeye » 12 Jun 2019, 01:52

Bongalong wrote:

Seth

Trump won because he called for law and order and America knew it was time to bring some respect back into the appaling game of hate being played over and over on the radio and tv and movie theatres of America.

His Mexico deal will win him the 2020 election because of exactly this: anarchy is anarchy and nobody wants to continue down that path to nowhere. GO TRUMP!

U R a piece of shit Bongalongalongalong....

YOU are just a tiny wee pee brain, who's opinion, and praise rates ZERO.

You haven't got a clue. People .. YOU.. are responsible for so much harm .You're a floater.
sleeping is good for you
pinkeye
Warthog

Postby Texan » 12 Jun 2019, 04:26

pinkeye wrote:
Bongalong wrote:

Seth

You haven't got a clue. People .. YOU.. are responsible for so much harm .You're a floater.

Then count me in. I don’t disagree with either of them.
Govern wisely, and as little as possible.
President Sam Houston
Texan
Cheetah

Postby Bongalong » 12 Jun 2019, 15:29

pinkeye wrote:
Bongalong wrote:

Seth

Pinkeye: you don't even believe your own shite mate and we all know it!

:Hi :Hi
"Oi!"
Bongalong
Jaguar

Postby Auggie » 12 Jun 2019, 18:22

SethBullock wrote:
Auggie wrote:
SethBullock wrote:
Bongalong wrote:
SethBullock wrote:

Look at this from Wiki:

Seth

Except that a system like that is more insulated from accountability to the public. In the Minneapolis case, the police chief was fired less than a week after the shooting, and the mayor lost her reelection bid that year.

I don't necessarily think so. If it had been controlled by the State forces, the police commissioner probably would've been fired.
Apart from chattel slavery, Jim Crow, John C Calhoun, the Robber Barons, the Civil War, George Wallace, segregation, Ronald Reagan, violent crime, serial killers and Donald Trump, what makes America the shittest nation on earth?
Auggie
Pain in the Butt

Postby Bongalong » 12 Jun 2019, 18:31

Auggie wrote:
I don't necessarily think so. If it had been controlled by the State forces, the police commissioner probably would've been fired.

-> "probably" ?

(...and there i was thinking you were atleast trying to make the definitive case?)

:roll
"Oi!"
Bongalong
Jaguar

Postby hatty » 12 Jun 2019, 18:41

let me make this simple.........

the less bullets flying around the less likely you, or someone who is dear to you will be killed or injured by one...... FUCK WOW who would have thunk it?!

violence is not a solution...... it's the problem.......

.... go on ....... i can't wait to hear more American bullshit excuses for it.

compensating for much?

i'll take my big dick.......over a loaded pistol under the blankey...... my dick maybe big but at least it wont kill anyone!!

FFS!........ let them have their guns ........ remember natural selection?........well....... they don't, they still believe in a silky long haired white dude (from the middle east called jesus)........ idiots.
hatty
mountain lion

Postby greggerypeccary » 12 Jun 2019, 19:13

hatty wrote:let me make this simple.........

the less bullets flying around the less likely you, or someone who is dear to you will be killed or injured by one...... FUCK WOW who would have thunk it?!

Yep.

Just basic common sense, to any reasonable person.

The Americans don't get it though.

Their answer to violence is more violence, and their answer to the gun problem is more guns.

It's pure insanity.
greggerypeccary
Warthog

Postby Bongalong » 12 Jun 2019, 19:43

.... go on ....... i can't wait to hear more American bullshit excuses for it.

compensating for much?

i'll take my big dick.......over a loaded pistol under the blankey...... my dick maybe big but at least it wont kill anyone!!

FFS!........ let them have their guns ........ remember natural selection?........well....... they don't, they still believe in a silky long haired white dude (from the middle east called jesus)........ idiots.

You call yourself a teacher... fme dead you're just a ()'n idiot! :bgrin :bgrin

Hey, do you like love women and shite ? lol :roll :roll :roll :roll :roll :roll :roll :roll
"Oi!"
Bongalong
Jaguar

Postby Bongalong » 12 Jun 2019, 19:45

greggerypeccary wrote:

Yep.

Just basic common sense, to any reasonable person.

The Americans don't get it though.

Their answer to violence is more violence, and their answer to the gun problem is more guns.

It's pure insanity.

Greg believes in an overly logical form or governance run by guess who :Hi :WTF :WTF :WTF :WTF :WTF :WTF :WTF :WTF :WTF :bike :yak yak :yak yak :yak yak :yak yak :yak yak :yak yak :yak yak :yak yak :bgrin :roll :bgrin :roll :bgrin
"Oi!"
Bongalong
Jaguar

Postby pinkeye » 13 Jun 2019, 23:24

stop embarrassing yourself.. and ftm the rest of us.. idiot.
sleeping is good for you
pinkeye
Warthog

Postby pinkeye » 14 Jun 2019, 02:05

I'd like to tell you a story... it is true.... no names supplied.

First of all though I'd like to ask Tex and Seth, if they have ever fired upon another person, with a gun.
Talking self-defence.
I'd also like to ask if GP or Bongalong or Auggie or Hatty have ever done so.

Because, it is one thing to own a gun, and another thing altogether to use it. Against a human.

Now be honest here... most weapons held in the US are for use against humans.
Not THAT MANY hunters in the US. :roll

The only likely target, with personal weapons , are other humans.

Are we agreed..? YES? :thumb

Now, to continue I must say I understand few people can actually easily shoot another person. At least, I understand even trained soldiers balk when the time comes. So I have been informed. It is purported to be so.

Do you agree..?

As I said earlier, I have a true tale to tell... but you don't get it for nothing.

Have any of you fired a gun at another person..? Hmmm?

With intent.? Was it legal?
sleeping is good for you
pinkeye
Warthog

Postby Texan » 14 Jun 2019, 02:39

Nobody has ever seen my pistol in public except at the range. In the military, I fixed jets and didn’t carry a gun. I take life very seriously and live my life accordingly. I don’t flip people off or start arguments. I’ve avoided arguments so that people think I’m a coward, but we both lived and they never knew why I walked away. If I ever have to use my gun in self defense, I am confident that it will be as a last resort and perfectly legal. I’m sure there would be a little guilt, but I’m willing to risk it for my family’s wellbeing.

And I’ve never seen anybody else draw a gun in public. Seth May have more interesting stories as a cop, but I’m pretty sure that most people who carry a gun are a lot like me.
President Sam Houston
Texan
Cheetah

Postby pinkeye » 15 Jun 2019, 00:12

OK . Thanks very much for your response Texan.
sleeping is good for you
pinkeye
Warthog

Postby Bongalong » 15 Jun 2019, 13:01

Pinkeye: why would countries have borders if they weren't going to defend them? Idiots like you live your cosy little lives because some people are actually willing to do what is necessary to make your cosy little life available to you.... you're just a complete idiot who's jealous of the fact America is the leader of the free world.

:rofl
"Oi!"
Bongalong
Jaguar

Postby Texan » 15 Jun 2019, 13:41

pinkeye wrote:
Now be honest here... most weapons held in the US are for use against humans.
Not THAT MANY hunters in the US. :roll

The only likely target, with personal weapons , are other humans.

Are we agreed..? YES? :thumb

No. There are 350 million guns in America. I'd guess that 99.999% of all of those guns have never shot a human. Statistically, I'm more likely to shoot a coyote or aggressive dog than a person. We have 1.3 million + civilians legally carrying a concealed gun in Texas and anybody who can legally own a gun can keep that gun loaded and concealed in their car. Also, legal gun owners can open carry a rifle or shotgun without any type of permit. Yes, our murder rate is higher than Australia's, but it has always been because we are in different geographic circumstances. Our murder rate has actually decreased dramatically since concealed carry was made legal in 1996. Even if it's not the cause of the decrease, it didn't cause an increase.

President Sam Houston
Texan
Cheetah

Postby Aussie » 15 Jun 2019, 14:47

Data is five years out of date. I suspect things have changed.
Aussie
Minister for Foreign Affairs

PreviousNext

Return to Politics