Get over it: Americans are allowed to have guns!

Discuss politics and current affairs here.

Hot topic: The scourge of negative gearing, Friends of the NBN and wrecking lives.  The economy and Poll tracking— all the polls.

Special Feature 1: Peter Costello and our current deficits.
Special Feature 2: Dr Turnbull and the wrong NBN prescription
Special Feature 3: The Denigration of science, technology and education.
Forum rules
The rules for this board are in the Charter of Moderation. Politics is for serious discussion of politics, economics and current affairs.

Re: Get over it: Americans are allowed to have guns!

Postby greggerypeccary » 09 Apr 2019, 14:02

Bongalong wrote:
greggerypeccary wrote:
The colour of a murderer's skin is completely irrelevant (this isn't OzPol, you know).

What IS relevant is the fact that guns don't make Americans safer.

Why do they record the colour of a gun murderers skin if it isn't relevant?

If you want to continue a racist discussion, go to OzPol - I won't be indulging you here.

Oh that's right, you can't - you got a perm ban :bgrin
greggerypeccary
Warthog

spamone: Animal

Postby Bongalong » 09 Apr 2019, 14:04

What should I do greg: get another boring e-mail address lol oh woe is lol :rofl
"Oi!"
Bongalong
Warthog

Postby greggerypeccary » 09 Apr 2019, 14:06

Bongalong wrote:What should I do greg: get another boring e-mail address lol oh woe is lol :rofl

What you should have done is listen to me when I told you to delete the offensive post.

I was just trying to help.
greggerypeccary
Warthog

Postby Bongalong » 09 Apr 2019, 14:08

greggerypeccary wrote:
Bongalong wrote:What should I do greg: get another boring e-mail address lol oh woe is lol :rofl

What you should have done is listen to me when I told you to delete the offensive post.

No one listen to greg because he's a dog!
"Oi!"
Bongalong
Warthog

Postby hatty » 09 Apr 2019, 14:11

when did this thread stop being about the guns ? and turn into simple minded racist generalisations?

back to all all the brains blown out

i'd prefer a little less racism and generalisations...... back to the little kids brains that decorate the walls of their school.... yay guns!
hatty
Cheetah

Postby greggerypeccary » 09 Apr 2019, 14:14

Bongalong wrote:
greggerypeccary wrote:

greggerypeccary
Warthog

Postby Bongalong » 09 Apr 2019, 19:30

hatty wrote:when did this thread stop being about the guns ? and turn into simple minded racist generalisations?

i'd prefer a little less racism and generalisations...... back to the little kids brains that decorate the walls of their school.... yay guns!

When did hatty become King?

Oh, that's right: when he had his kid lol :rofl
"Oi!"
Bongalong
Warthog

Postby Bongalong » 09 Apr 2019, 19:32

greggerypeccary wrote:
Bongalong wrote:
greggerypeccary wrote:

Greg is a dreamer: no honour makes greg a dogggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggg :Hi :bike :bike :bike :bike :bike
"Oi!"
Bongalong
Warthog

Postby SethBullock » 09 Apr 2019, 23:26

hatty wrote:when did this thread stop being about the guns ? and turn into simple minded racist generalisations?

Hatty, the point is not to divert the conversation to some racist scapegoating. Nor is it to divert the conversation away from the topic of guns.

The point is that the U.S. has a segment of its population whose murder rate is far above the norm, and those numbers skew the conversation. I have been reminded over and over of Australia's low murder rate compared to the murder rate of the U.S., and those rates are used to bolster the idea that Americans should simply disarm and turn in all their guns like Australians did. So if members on this site are going to use those murder rates to bolster their arguments, then it is relevant to discuss those numbers and why they are what they are.

It is disingenuous to use those rates as part of an argument and then try to bully people into silence with charges of racism if they dare to delve into those rates.

Just like everyone else here, I've seen a lot of racism on the internet. I have never engaged in any of that, nor will I. But that doesn't mean that I shall enforce upon myself a willful blindness to certain relevant facts involving any particular topic.

On this topic, it is relevant because if that one small demographic in our country had a normal, proportionate rate, our murder rate would be above your murder rate by somewhere around 1 or 1.5. And so my argument is that our murder rate of 5 belies a social problem that lies within a small segment of our people and that the violence within that segment is not representative of the rest of the country, among whom are millions and millions of peaceful, law-abiding gun owners. And it bolsters my argument that our murder rate is more of a problem with people rather than a problem of gun ownership.

Seth
"At least he's not Hillary" - Hatty

"There's only one solution: MORE guns!" - greggerypeccary

... "mr know it all" - Bongalong
SethBullock
Jaguar

Postby Dax » 10 Apr 2019, 04:50

SethBullock wrote:
The point is that the U.S. has a segment of its population whose murder rate is far above the norm, and those numbers skew the conversation. I have been reminded over and over of Australia's low murder rate compared to the murder rate of the U.S., and those rates are used to bolster the idea that Americans should simply disarm and turn in all their guns like Australians did. So if members on this site are going to use those murder rates to bolster their arguments, then it is relevant to discuss those numbers and why they are what they are.

It is disingenuous to use those rates as part of an argument and then try to bully people into silence with charges of racism if they dare to delve into those rates.

Just like everyone else here, I've seen a lot of racism on the internet. I have never engaged in any of that, nor will I. But that doesn't mean that I shall enforce upon myself a willful blindness to certain relevant facts involving any particular topic.

On this topic, it is relevant because if that one small demographic in our country had a normal, proportionate rate, our murder rate would be above your murder rate by somewhere around 1 or 1.5. And so my argument is that our murder rate of 5 belies a social problem that lies within a small segment of our people and that the violence within that segment is not representative of the rest of the country, among whom are millions and millions of peaceful, law-abiding gun owners. And it bolsters my argument that our murder rate is more of a problem with people rather than a problem of gun ownership.

Seth

Just to correct you, In Aus we did not turn in all our guns, there are more guns in Aus now than before Port Arthur. What we did was control our guns with real workable laws and that's why our gun death rates are so low, whilst US gun deaths continue to grow, as does those murdered by cops. Our death rate by cops is extremely low, because of our culture and sensible police training, plus cops know it will be rare to come across the average person armed with a gun and ready to shoot them.

In the US cops know it is more than likely they will come across the average person who more than likely has a gun on them, so the shoot first. In Aus we have sensible working gun laws, in the US you have none, just more and more guns and trying to tell us that is working, is not only ridiculous, but not very intelligent at all.
Dax
Cheetah

Postby SethBullock » 10 Apr 2019, 05:57

Dax wrote:
SethBullock wrote:

Seth

Just to correct you, In Aus we did not turn in all our guns, there are more guns in Aus now than before Port Arthur. What we did was control our guns with real workable laws and that's why our gun death rates are so low, whilst US gun deaths continue to grow, as does those murdered by cops. Our death rate by cops is extremely low, because of our culture and sensible police training, plus cops know it will be rare to come across the average person armed with a gun and ready to shoot them.

In the US cops know it is more than likely they will come across the average person who more than likely has a gun on them, so the shoot first. In Aus we have sensible working gun laws, in the US you have none, just more and more guns and trying to tell us that is working, is not only ridiculous, but not very intelligent at all.

Just when I was thinking that maybe you and I got off on the wrong foot .... *sigh*

SethBullock
Jaguar

Postby hatty » 10 Apr 2019, 07:36

SethBullock wrote:

Hatty, the point is not to divert the conversation to some racist scapegoating. Nor is it to divert the conversation away from the topic of guns.

Seth

well articulated seth :hlo

i didn't think this thread was about murder however

but the tools that cause way more harm than just murder

to me it is about the sheer amount of weapons..... that are fucking way overkill (pun) for personal and home protection...... and a lack of controls, coupled with the ease at which some loony loose canon fuck head can get their dirty paws on one (your 6% proves that)

i don't believe that you, as a law abiding citizen should have to give up your rights.

it just makes me sad because i feel that it is the manufacturers of these harmful weapons and the NRA that don't give a flying fuck........ dey makin da money of pain and misery and laughing their arses off all the way to the bank

"just sucks to be you" when you, or a loved one is injured or killed..... or the aforementioned loved one bites the barrel themselves

and now they wish to peddle that shit here...... more misery and suffering....... more money for them, and i all of a sudden have to sleep with one eye open like americans have to
Last edited by hatty on 10 Apr 2019, 08:30, edited 3 times in total.
hatty
Cheetah

Postby Dax » 10 Apr 2019, 08:15

SethBullock wrote:
Dax wrote:
SethBullock wrote:

Seth

Just when I was thinking that maybe you and I got off on the wrong foot .... *sigh*

It's not very intelligent to claim more guns makes you safer, when the facts of history and today prove the opposite. Real gun laws, no matter how many weapons are in society, make a huge difference. I have nothing against guns, as I'm a licensed owner, but you need laws to control the idiots and make police accountable for their actions, which the USA doesn't do and your gun deaths will continue to rise. As will your gun injuries, which are rising each year, Aus gun injuries have dropped with better laws and better training. In this country you need training to get a gun license, in the USA anyone can buy a gun with no training whatsoever and there lies the massive difference in the approach to guns and other weapons.
Dax
Cheetah

Postby SethBullock » 10 Apr 2019, 09:27

hatty wrote:
SethBullock wrote:

Seth

to me it is about the sheer amount of weapons..... that are fucking way overkill (pun) for personal and home protection...... and a lack of controls, coupled with the ease at which some loony loose canon fuck head can get their dirty paws on one (your 6% proves that)

i don't believe that you, as a law abiding citizen should have to give up your rights.

it just makes me sad because i feel that it is the manufacturers of these harmful weapons and the NRA that don't give a flying fuck........ dey makin da money of pain and misery and laughing their arses off all the way to the bank

"just sucks to be you" when you, or a loved one is injured or killed..... or the aforementioned loved one bites the barrel themselves

and now they wish to peddle that shit here...... more misery and suffering....... more money for them, and i all of a sudden have to sleep with one eye open like americans have to

I don't know if you're aware of this, Hatty, but the NRA has been instructing gun safety courses for decades. The NRA has probably taught millions of people about gun safety. Years ago, when I got my son his first hunting license, he was required by law to first take a Hunter Safety Course which he did - taught by an NRA certified instructor. The NRA is also involved in wildlife and habitat conservation efforts across the USA. Furthermore, the NRA has always favored harsh sentencing of criminals who commit crimes with guns or who illegally traffic in guns.

That said, I don't always agree with the NRA on everything, but I'm glad the organization exists.

"and now they wish to peddle that shit here", you said. What do you mean by that?

SethBullock
Jaguar

Postby hatty » 10 Apr 2019, 11:01

SethBullock wrote:
hatty wrote:
SethBullock wrote:

Seth

I don't know if you're aware of this, Hatty, but the NRA has been instructing gun safety courses for decades. The NRA has probably taught millions of people about gun safety. Years ago, when I got my son his first hunting license, he was required by law to first take a Hunter Safety Course which he did - taught by an NRA certified instructor. The NRA is also involved in wildlife and habitat conservation efforts across the USA. Furthermore, the NRA has always favored harsh sentencing of criminals who commit crimes with guns or who illegally traffic in guns.

That said, I don't always agree with the NRA on everything, but I'm glad the organization exists.

"and now they wish to peddle that shit here", you said. What do you mean by that?

not just here....... everywhere

this is a good start

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QYyX7O02yOg

our far right secretly meets with the NRA seeking to water down our awesome gun control (not prohibition) as a nice little wee thank you present for more than hefty political donations.

and i don't believe there is an NRA trainer required when walking into a pawn shop, gun convention, walmart or the dodgy 6% to but an assault rifle
Last edited by hatty on 10 Apr 2019, 11:13, edited 1 time in total.
hatty
Cheetah

Postby Bongalong » 10 Apr 2019, 11:03

SethBullock wrote:

Seth

Hatty believes in equality: :rofl
"Oi!"
Bongalong
Warthog

Postby hatty » 10 Apr 2019, 11:09

Bongalong wrote:
SethBullock wrote:

Seth

i guess that makes me a femo cunt ey drah?
hatty
Cheetah

Postby Bongalong » 10 Apr 2019, 11:10

hatty wrote:
Bongalong wrote:
SethBullock wrote:

Seth

i guess that makes me a femo cunt ey drah?

Yes, it does! :Hi
"Oi!"
Bongalong
Warthog

Postby hatty » 10 Apr 2019, 11:18

address me as earl cunt from now on

i am sure moving up in the world of cunty nobility

i would like to see a tad more equality..... that certainly does not mean i believe it exists

now...... back to the NRA and the secret meeting with reps of pauline hanson to MAShitA
hatty
Cheetah

Postby SethBullock » 10 Apr 2019, 11:32

hatty wrote:
SethBullock wrote:
hatty wrote:
SethBullock wrote:

Seth

this is a good start

our far right secretly meets with the NRA seeking to water down our awesome gun control (not prohibition) as a nice little wee thank you present for more than hefty political donations.

and i don't believe there is an NRA trainer required when walking into a pawn shop, gun convention, walmart or the dodgy 6% to but an assault rifle

My understanding is that you already have a gun lobby in Australia called SIFA. It is my understanding that representatives of One Nation met with the NRA and requested funds, but I cannot find anything saying that they received funds. I'm not going to watch a 48 minute video to find out.

And you're right about safety classes. I always look at proposed gun control laws from the following standpoint: Does this new law substantially impede a law-abiding citizen from the right to keep and bear arms? If the answer is 'no' I don't usually object to the proposed law. So I really wouldn't mind if a gun owner had to take a gun safety class one time as an adult, unless they did a hunter safety course as a juvenile, and that they receive documentation of it that they showed when buying firearms. I've taught basic firearms safety before, and a 2 hour class is enough. I do not see that as a substantial impediment - an "infringement" - to firearms ownership.

SethBullock
Jaguar

Postby Dax » 10 Apr 2019, 12:54

SethBullock wrote:
hatty wrote:
SethBullock wrote:
hatty wrote:
SethBullock wrote:

Seth

this is a good start

My understanding is that you already have a gun lobby in Australia called SIFA. It is my understanding that representatives of One Nation met with the NRA and requested funds, but I cannot find anything saying that they received funds. I'm not going to watch a 48 minute video to find out.

And you're right about safety classes. I always look at proposed gun control laws from the following standpoint: Does this new law substantially impede a law-abiding citizen from the right to keep and bear arms? If the answer is 'no' I don't usually object to the proposed law. So I really wouldn't mind if a gun owner had to take a gun safety class one time as an adult, unless they did a hunter safety course as a juvenile, and that they receive documentation of it that they showed when buying firearms. I've taught basic firearms safety before, and a 2 hour class is enough. I do not see that as a substantial impediment - an "infringement" - to firearms ownership.

We don't have a more gun lobby, SIFA is the shooting industry lobby, they represent gun manufactures and think they also represent police, defence and the public but they don't.

The closet to a gun lobby is SSAA, which is the "sporting shooters association of Aus, of which I am secretary of a branch. They advocated a few years ago to get gun laws softened, but branches stopped that because none of us want uncontrolled guns in this country and there is no need for semi auto long rifles for the average shooter.

Our gun training courses in Tas take a whole day and include theory and practise, then you have to pass an exam. Many people fail

The NRA has tried on a number of occasions to influence SSAA and elections, they support the fishers and shooters party who have a number of people in governments around Aus.
Dax
Cheetah

Postby SethBullock » 10 Apr 2019, 14:38

Dax wrote:
SethBullock wrote:
hatty wrote:
SethBullock wrote:
hatty wrote:
SethBullock wrote:

Seth

this is a good start

We don't have a more gun lobby, SIFA is the shooting industry lobby, they represent gun manufactures and think they also represent police, defence and the public but they don't.

The closet to a gun lobby is SSAA, which is the "sporting shooters association of Aus, of which I am secretary of a branch. They advocated a few years ago to get gun laws softened, but branches stopped that because none of us want uncontrolled guns in this country and there is no need for semi auto long rifles for the average shooter.

Our gun training courses in Tas take a whole day and include theory and practise, then you have to pass an exam. Many people fail

The NRA has tried on a number of occasions to influence SSAA and elections, they support the fishers and shooters party who have a number of people in governments around Aus.

So I take it bolt action rifles are permitted. Is that right? What about shotguns? Are any handguns permitted?

SethBullock
Jaguar

Postby Texan » 10 Apr 2019, 15:03

Just don’t get caught defending yourself.
Texan
Cheetah

Postby Bongalong » 10 Apr 2019, 15:07

We can't just walk in and buy a gun if that's what you want to know.

Pretty f'n strict over here.... just go to work and buy yer food and maybe pay too much for a meal out on the town every now and again... beer is an overly expensive joke but this whole country has it's head up it's ass so that's how it goes.

Drugs everywhere but that's all dieing off a bit because the mining booms over. Price of houses went up over those years and as they never go down kids can't afford houses so are living at home until they're 30 etc... all we do in this country is buy and renovate houses.... we've lost our soul in this country. that's why you get these endless prime-minister changes because no one respects anything anymore.
"Oi!"
Bongalong
Warthog

Postby greggerypeccary » 10 Apr 2019, 15:20

Bongalong wrote:... all we do in this country is buy and renovate houses....

So true :bgrin
greggerypeccary
Warthog

PreviousNext

Return to Politics