Get over it: Americans are allowed to have guns!

Discuss politics and current affairs here.

Hot topic: The scourge of negative gearing, Friends of the NBN and wrecking lives.  The economy and Poll tracking— all the polls.

Special Feature 1: Peter Costello and our current deficits.
Special Feature 2: Dr Turnbull and the wrong NBN prescription
Special Feature 3: The Denigration of science, technology and education.
.
Forum rules
The rules for this board are in the Charter of Moderation. Politics is for serious discussion of politics, economics and current affairs.

Re: Get over it: Americans are allowed to have guns!

Postby DonDeeHippy » 07 Feb 2019, 16:55

Wika numbers didn't sound right so I did more of search
https://www.statista.com/statistics/215 ... -by-state/
it looks more like 4-5 million registered which is still a very small number for the amount of guns in the country and the population :) :purple
Bongalong... for some reason women are just so superior to anything that ever existed or will ever exist!
User avatar
DonDeeHippy
Jaguar
 
Posts: 1677
Joined: 25 Apr 2018, 20:18
spamone: Animal

Re: Get over it: Americans are allowed to have guns!

Postby johnsmith » 07 Feb 2019, 17:55

DonDeeHippy wrote:Wika numbers didn't sound right so I did more of search
https://www.statista.com/statistics/215 ... -by-state/
it looks more like 4-5 million registered which is still a very small number for the amount of guns in the country and the population :) :purple



don't forget the almost 400 million unregistered :WTF
FD.
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.
User avatar
johnsmith
Mastodon
 
Posts: 8884
Joined: 25 Sep 2017, 21:39
spamone: Animal

Re: Get over it: Americans are allowed to have guns!

Postby DonDeeHippy » 07 Feb 2019, 19:14

johnsmith wrote:
DonDeeHippy wrote:Wika numbers didn't sound right so I did more of search
https://www.statista.com/statistics/215 ... -by-state/
it looks more like 4-5 million registered which is still a very small number for the amount of guns in the country and the population :) :purple



don't forget the almost 400 million unregistered :WTF

ohh I didn't I checked that 2 and got it from lots of sources...…. :purple
Bongalong... for some reason women are just so superior to anything that ever existed or will ever exist!
User avatar
DonDeeHippy
Jaguar
 
Posts: 1677
Joined: 25 Apr 2018, 20:18
spamone: Animal

Re: Get over it: Americans are allowed to have guns!

Postby DonDeeHippy » 08 Feb 2019, 11:30

Bongalong wrote:The losers who attack Americans for being allowed to have a gun just don't like America.

so therefore if u attack Australians for having gun u don't like Australia ? :purple
Bongalong... for some reason women are just so superior to anything that ever existed or will ever exist!
User avatar
DonDeeHippy
Jaguar
 
Posts: 1677
Joined: 25 Apr 2018, 20:18
spamone: Animal

Re: Get over it: Americans are allowed to have guns!

Postby Bongalong » 08 Feb 2019, 11:35

DonDeeHippy wrote:
Bongalong wrote:The losers who attack Americans for being allowed to have a gun just don't like America.

so therefore if u attack Australians for having gun u don't like Australia ? :purple

Nobody attacks Australians for having a gun! They only attack Americans...
"Oi!"
Bongalong
Warthog
 
Posts: 3078
Joined: 25 Jun 2018, 11:48
spamone: Animal

Re: Get over it: Americans are allowed to have guns!

Postby DonDeeHippy » 08 Feb 2019, 11:52

Bongalong wrote:
DonDeeHippy wrote:
Bongalong wrote:The losers who attack Americans for being allowed to have a gun just don't like America.

so therefore if u attack Australians for having gun u don't like Australia ? :purple

Nobody attacks Australians for having a gun! They only attack Americans...

how about American's attacking Australian's for not having guns... do they hate Australians ? :purple
Bongalong... for some reason women are just so superior to anything that ever existed or will ever exist!
User avatar
DonDeeHippy
Jaguar
 
Posts: 1677
Joined: 25 Apr 2018, 20:18
spamone: Animal

Re: Get over it: Americans are allowed to have guns!

Postby Bongalong » 08 Feb 2019, 12:15

DonDeeHippy wrote:
Bongalong wrote:
DonDeeHippy wrote:
Bongalong wrote:The losers who attack Americans for being allowed to have a gun just don't like America.

so therefore if u attack Australians for having gun u don't like Australia ? :purple

Nobody attacks Australians for having a gun! They only attack Americans...

how about American's attacking Australian's for not having guns... do they hate Australians ? :purple

Americans don't complain that Australians don't have guns until they are attacked for having guns.
"Oi!"
Bongalong
Warthog
 
Posts: 3078
Joined: 25 Jun 2018, 11:48
spamone: Animal

Re: Get over it: Americans are allowed to have guns!

Postby SethBullock » 08 Feb 2019, 12:23

Bongalong wrote:
DonDeeHippy wrote:
Bongalong wrote:
DonDeeHippy wrote:
Bongalong wrote:The losers who attack Americans for being allowed to have a gun just don't like America.

so therefore if u attack Australians for having gun u don't like Australia ? :purple

Nobody attacks Australians for having a gun! They only attack Americans...

how about American's attacking Australian's for not having guns... do they hate Australians ? :purple

Americans don't complain that Australians don't have guns until they are attacked for having guns.


True.
"At least he's not Hillary" - Hatty

"There's only one solution: MORE guns!" - greggerypeccary

... "mr know it all" - Bongalong
User avatar
SethBullock
Jaguar
 
Posts: 2147
Joined: 22 Oct 2018, 12:37
Location: Oregon, USA
spamone: Animal

Re: Get over it: Americans are allowed to have guns!

Postby DonDeeHippy » 08 Feb 2019, 13:06

:gup
SethBullock wrote:
Bongalong wrote:
DonDeeHippy wrote:
Bongalong wrote:
DonDeeHippy wrote:
Bongalong wrote:The losers who attack Americans for being allowed to have a gun just don't like America.

so therefore if u attack Australians for having gun u don't like Australia ? :purple

Nobody attacks Australians for having a gun! They only attack Americans...

how about American's attacking Australian's for not having guns... do they hate Australians ? :purple

Americans don't complain that Australians don't have guns until they are attacked for having guns.


True.

circle logic... so bongy what came first the chicken or the egg ? :purple
Bongalong... for some reason women are just so superior to anything that ever existed or will ever exist!
User avatar
DonDeeHippy
Jaguar
 
Posts: 1677
Joined: 25 Apr 2018, 20:18
spamone: Animal

Re: Get over it: Americans are allowed to have guns!

Postby Bongalong » 08 Feb 2019, 13:37

DonDeeHippy wrote:circle logic... so bongy what came first the chicken or the egg ? :purple

Don is a hypocrite :Hi
"Oi!"
Bongalong
Warthog
 
Posts: 3078
Joined: 25 Jun 2018, 11:48
spamone: Animal

Re: Get over it: Americans are allowed to have guns!

Postby hatty » 09 Feb 2019, 21:01

i'm not fearful of armed intruders..........cause fucking dickheds cannae get hold of firearms here

fucking yay to that!

i'm from gay as fuck Sydney......... a cricket bat will do me fine.........

and no massacres of little toddlers

the worst thing that can happen is my shit cover drive..... it' s awful......but no little toddler's brains are decorating the walls of their school

FACT

people anywhere in the world who feel the need for a loaded pistol under their pillow to brag about....... i pity them. and hope they stay safe .......if that is even possible
User avatar
hatty
Cheetah
 
Posts: 1146
Joined: 30 Apr 2018, 11:48
spamone: Animal

Re: Get over it: Americans are allowed to have guns!

Postby hatty » 09 Feb 2019, 21:49

i'm still waiting to hear an answer on how firearms prevent more harm than they create.........

i fucking wonder why?

ye fucking haa!

/smug as fuck but correct

Have a nice day
User avatar
hatty
Cheetah
 
Posts: 1146
Joined: 30 Apr 2018, 11:48
spamone: Animal

Re: Get over it: Americans are allowed to have guns!

Postby pinkeye » 09 Feb 2019, 23:48

SethBullock wrote:And yet I remember the story Mothra posted a while back that I just found appalling. It was the story of a woman who stabbed a man to death who was her rapist. And his mode of intimidation was that if she didn't submit, he would rape her juvenile daughter, if I remember correctly. Once he was dead, she dragged his body from a vehicle and dumped it somewhere along side a road.

If I remember correctly, she got 2 years, the judge saying she had disrespected his effing corpse.

And I thought to myself, "Who gives a shit about his effing corpse?" And I thought to myself that the true motive for the sentence was that your establishment doesn't really like your citizens to defend themselves or their families, and this horse shit about his corpse was just an excuse to punish her for having the temerity to actually defend herself and her daughter, instead of being a submissive victim.

And there's the difference between Australia and the U.S.

Your government takes away your guns, your pocket knives, and outlaws even pepper spray and tells you to just be helpless and leave your security to us. And if you absolutely have to kill, and we can't imprison you for it as we'd like to, we'll damn sure find some way to punish you. Can't have the people getting too uppity about their own self-defense, now can we?

They prefer you to be a helpless victim rather than having sovereignty over your safety and the protection of your family.

I don't want to live like that.

As for that corpse that woman left along side the road, the final line in this scene is what I think of his effing corpse ....




Couldn't agree more.

:thumb :thumb
sleeping is good for you
User avatar
pinkeye
Warthog
 
Posts: 3831
Joined: 01 Oct 2017, 20:59
spamone: Animal

Re: Get over it: Americans are allowed to have guns!

Postby pinkeye » 09 Feb 2019, 23:49

Bongalong wrote:
DonDeeHippy wrote:
Bongalong wrote:The losers who attack Americans for being allowed to have a gun just don't like America.

so therefore if u attack Australians for having gun u don't like Australia ? :purple

Nobody attacks Australians for having a gun! They only attack Americans...

Dat be funny.
sleeping is good for you
User avatar
pinkeye
Warthog
 
Posts: 3831
Joined: 01 Oct 2017, 20:59
spamone: Animal

Re: Get over it: Americans are allowed to have guns!

Postby pinkeye » 09 Feb 2019, 23:55

Texan wrote:
hatty wrote:firearms cause way more harm than they prevent

/closethrread

Firearms are here to stay. Do you trust your government more than honest, law abiding people? China is growing crops in Australia. Does China expect you to export the crops to them or do you benefit from the crops grown in your country? What would happen if the US took their guns and went home and sealed their borders? I don't know Australia - China relations, but are they encroaching on your country? I'm not telling you this is the case, I'm asking because I am curious. It seems that your resources aren't as plentiful as you'd like with fresh water and crops and all.

How many millions trusted their government in the 20th century only to be starved or slaughtered after they were disarmed by their government? Until recently, Chinese families were only permitted to have 1 child. How many girl babies were butchered so that they could have a son? Would an armed Chinese population have permitted this abuse of freedom? At least they don't have to worry about sleeping with a gun on their bedside table. Some friends of mine adopted a Chinese baby with a cleft palate because she would have been killed otherwise. She is a beautiful 10 year old now and has a beautiful East Texas accent. Her father is a retired military chaplain.

How many innocent people are saved by the use of guns? Most of those people are never noticed or added to the "gun death studies".

You do what you want in Australia and I'll wish you the best. I don't expect you to like guns or America and I don't expect you to visit here. I'll welcome you if you do come, but you do you and I'll do me. That's all I want. I'm only here because I am curious how other people live and speaking the same language makes that convenient to learn. If I'm meddling too much, I apologize and I will leave.


Now settle down Texan...
Rein it in. :tweed
This is a meeting of minds :buddy
or at least ideas. :thumb
sleeping is good for you
User avatar
pinkeye
Warthog
 
Posts: 3831
Joined: 01 Oct 2017, 20:59
spamone: Animal

Re: Get over it: Americans are allowed to have guns!

Postby pinkeye » 10 Feb 2019, 00:36

SethBullock wrote:
hatty wrote:firearms cause way more harm than they prevent

/closethrread


You can't know that, Hatty. It is impossible to know what firearms ownership prevents because it prevents it. There are many anecdotal incidents where someone with a firearm wards off or discourages a crime. But there is no uniform reporting of these events like there is for crimes. So, for example, let's say someone tries to break into my home right now as I'm sitting here typing this. I grab my gun and scare him off.

This will be reported as an attempted burglary. But there is zero mechanism to track the fact that I, as an armed citizen, stopped him while armed with a gun.

Let's say my attempt to scare him off fails, and I have to shoot. The police come and investigate. It is a clear-cut case of self-defense. The police do not arrest me, and they do not recommend charges against me, and the District Attorney agrees. Guess what? This gets reported as a burglary or attempted robbery or whatever applies, but not an assault or homicide with a firearm. The burglary or attempted robbery will be cataloged into the data system, but not the shooting.

We know that these incidents of self-defense happen every day in this country, but we have no way of knowing how many.

I'll tell you a true story. One time when my son was a little boy I took him to a river to do a little bank fishing. No one else was there ... until. We were just fishing when two young men in their 20s approached us. I took note of the jailhouse tattoos on their arms, unkempt appearance, and the inappropriateness of approaching a man and his little boy for no reason. They tried to start a conversation, but it was clear to me they weren't interested in the small talk. I remember the way one of them looked at me, sizing me up. I had a .38 revolver in a holster in my waistband under my shirt. I had heard enough of their bs at that point and just faced them and told them to have a nice day.

Decision time. They looked at me for a few seconds. I stared back, and I could see the wheels turning in their heads.

"Can we take him? What if he has a gun? He doesn't look like he's afraid of us."

A few more moments of tension, and then they turned and left.

They read me correctly and made the right choice, and they never saw the gun, and I never mentioned it. But, to this day, I honestly believe that the possibility that I was armed was a big factor in their choice.

I can't prove it. It will never get put into a computerized system that will count it.

So really, we don't know what firearms ownership prevents or stops.



Yes, it DOES pay to have a little help. I'm not allowed a gun so..

In the case I relate it was my dog.
Shadow was a Bandog/ Mastiff/Rottweiler .. black and tan.. a big boy.. 60+ kgs. He was mine from puppy-hood, and trained by his breeder as a companion/protection dog. IE He'd attack if I commanded. I got trained too, obviously.. :bgrin and it was certainly an eye-opener.

So, I used to drive long-distance to visit my ill / old mother. Close to 1800 klms round trip. I did it too many times to remember, except some stand out in memory. I always travelled with at least one dog. Shadow was with me till he got testicular cancer. He was an entire.. and magnificent..

So any way, he saved me from being ??? We'll never know.

One late afternoon .. on the way home ...only about 800klms to go and whilst on a break at a lonely rest stop in the middle of nowhere an extremely suss car pulled up right next to mine and the guy stared at me. , and I was ready.

My grabbing and displaying quite calmly, my 6-cell Maglite, whilst calling up Shadow , together with his sudden appearance, when he came running up from the creekbed he was investigating,..... whilst I remained focused on the creep.. staring at him, … along with my direction to Shadow to WATCH!!,...….. pointing at the creep... and boy did he WATCH!! :bgrin

I also admit to having a small very sharp knife in my right pocket. That is illegal, but I figured better to have than not. No I just showed him the dog and the Maglite .. guess I'm lucky he didn't have a gun.

The creep stayed in his car, then after looking around .. turned his car around and left.!

( I'm sure he thought I was a woman with a baby .. coward... never expected SHADOW :bgrin :wub )

Well, as you say Seth, no-one hears about the escapes.
sleeping is good for you
User avatar
pinkeye
Warthog
 
Posts: 3831
Joined: 01 Oct 2017, 20:59
spamone: Animal

Re: Get over it: Americans are allowed to have guns!

Postby pinkeye » 10 Feb 2019, 00:39

johnsmith wrote:
Bongalong wrote:Mass shootings are a product of access to firearms: lol, we all know that!

My thread title still stands!

John and loser incorporated simply hate Americans!! :zzzz


you should be grateful we don't have guns. You would have shot yourself ages ago if we did.

:bgrin :bgrin :bgrin :bgrin
sleeping is good for you
User avatar
pinkeye
Warthog
 
Posts: 3831
Joined: 01 Oct 2017, 20:59
spamone: Animal

Re: Get over it: Americans are allowed to have guns!

Postby pinkeye » 10 Feb 2019, 00:43

Auggie wrote:
Bongalong wrote:
Auggie wrote:And do you suppose which is a better society? One where people need guns, or one where people don't??

You'd be seeking a qualitative statement engendered by a colourfully biased question: how do we measure the accuracy of such a thing ESPECIALLY given the circumstance?

You, bruther: can't--> because you're a full of shite c***!


Very easy: look at crime rates, and quality of life indices.

Yeah work it out for yourselves.. don't ffs listen to Auggie. :bgrin



(sorry.. i'm finding hard to get past pg 1
sleeping is good for you
User avatar
pinkeye
Warthog
 
Posts: 3831
Joined: 01 Oct 2017, 20:59
spamone: Animal

Re: Get over it: Americans are allowed to have guns!

Postby pinkeye » 10 Feb 2019, 00:47

DonDeeHippy wrote:https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Estimated_number_of_civilian_guns_per_capita_by_country
Usa No1 then Australia comes in 50th out of 230 countries, so percentage wise Australia has more gun than 180 other countries... we have more guns now than when the strict gun laws came in...…. We r not unarmed and if u want a gun u can get one... It's just not a easy thing to do ( which I think it should be )
so if u happen to lead your life with fear u can get a gun and leave it ((locked in a secure container ) by your bed, no one is stopping u...…..
SO your idea that Australia is unarmed is wrong

What is really revealing and I think is tragic is the amount of registered guns and estimated unregistered guns in each country...
Usa registered 1,073,743 unregistered392,273,257
Australia registered 3,158,795 unregistered 414,205
so according to that Australia has 3 times the registered firearms than the USA and USA has about 15 times the population....
no wonder your afraid to goto church without a gun in your pocket..... :purple


Good one :thumb
sleeping is good for you
User avatar
pinkeye
Warthog
 
Posts: 3831
Joined: 01 Oct 2017, 20:59
spamone: Animal

Re: Get over it: Americans are allowed to have guns!

Postby SethBullock » 10 Feb 2019, 03:32

I don't see how making law-abiding people register their guns makes society any safer.
"At least he's not Hillary" - Hatty

"There's only one solution: MORE guns!" - greggerypeccary

... "mr know it all" - Bongalong
User avatar
SethBullock
Jaguar
 
Posts: 2147
Joined: 22 Oct 2018, 12:37
Location: Oregon, USA
spamone: Animal

Re: Get over it: Americans are allowed to have guns!

Postby DonDeeHippy » 10 Feb 2019, 06:43

SethBullock wrote:I don't see how making law-abiding people register their guns makes society any safer.

can u see how have 390 million unregistered guns in the USA can make society unsafe (isn't it 84 murders a day with a firearm).
https://www.politifact.com/new-york/sta ... me-rep-fa/
this article looks a surveys held for criminals and how they acquired their firearms :purple
Bongalong... for some reason women are just so superior to anything that ever existed or will ever exist!
User avatar
DonDeeHippy
Jaguar
 
Posts: 1677
Joined: 25 Apr 2018, 20:18
spamone: Animal

Re: Get over it: Americans are allowed to have guns!

Postby DonDeeHippy » 10 Feb 2019, 06:48

SethBullock wrote:I don't see how making law-abiding people register their guns makes society any safer.

Well.. If a law abiding citizen has a really bad day in Australia (Wife leaves, family get hurt, road rage,, stolen from)
He/she cant just goto a bad part of town and find a gun or goto a gun shop and just buy a gun.....
So in this case yes I can see a very good reason to make it hard for reasonable law abiding citizen's to get a gun, especially if
circumstances at the time can make then act unreasonable. :purple
Bongalong... for some reason women are just so superior to anything that ever existed or will ever exist!
User avatar
DonDeeHippy
Jaguar
 
Posts: 1677
Joined: 25 Apr 2018, 20:18
spamone: Animal

Re: Get over it: Americans are allowed to have guns!

Postby SethBullock » 10 Feb 2019, 07:03

Well Don, you're talking about two different but related things ...

Access to firearms and registration of firearms.

If, as you say, you have a real bad day, and you want to shoot someone, registration of firearms is not a factor.

In the U.S., convicted felons are not allowed to have firearms, and they go to prison if they're caught with them. So again, registration is not a factor.

None of my firearms are registered. It doesn't make them more dangerous, nor would it make them less dangerous if they were registered.
"At least he's not Hillary" - Hatty

"There's only one solution: MORE guns!" - greggerypeccary

... "mr know it all" - Bongalong
User avatar
SethBullock
Jaguar
 
Posts: 2147
Joined: 22 Oct 2018, 12:37
Location: Oregon, USA
spamone: Animal

Re: Get over it: Americans are allowed to have guns!

Postby DonDeeHippy » 10 Feb 2019, 07:17

SethBullock wrote:Well Don, you're talking about two different but related things ...

Access to firearms and registration of firearms.

If, as you say, you have a real bad day, and you want to shoot someone, registration of firearms is not a factor.

In the U.S., convicted felons are not allowed to have firearms, and they go to prison if they're caught with them. So again, registration is not a factor.

None of my firearms are registered. It doesn't make them more dangerous, nor would it make them less dangerous if they were registered.

Wouldn't Registration of firearms help to reduce Access to firearms...…..
If a gun isn't registered isn't it easier to be used in illegal activities with no way to trace....
SO if thieves break into your place and steal your guns... its just added to the problem... if they where registered at least if they r used in a crime they can be traced.
Think back to your police days...… Would of your life been easier or harder if the guns involved in crimes where registered and u could find out its history..... :purple
Bongalong... for some reason women are just so superior to anything that ever existed or will ever exist!
User avatar
DonDeeHippy
Jaguar
 
Posts: 1677
Joined: 25 Apr 2018, 20:18
spamone: Animal

Re: Get over it: Americans are allowed to have guns!

Postby SethBullock » 10 Feb 2019, 07:48

DonDeeHippy wrote:
SethBullock wrote:Well Don, you're talking about two different but related things ...

Access to firearms and registration of firearms.

If, as you say, you have a real bad day, and you want to shoot someone, registration of firearms is not a factor.

In the U.S., convicted felons are not allowed to have firearms, and they go to prison if they're caught with them. So again, registration is not a factor.

None of my firearms are registered. It doesn't make them more dangerous, nor would it make them less dangerous if they were registered.

Wouldn't Registration of firearms help to reduce Access to firearms...…..
If a gun isn't registered isn't it easier to be used in illegal activities with no way to trace....
SO if thieves break into your place and steal your guns... its just added to the problem... if they where registered at least if they r used in a crime they can be traced.
Think back to your police days...… Would of your life been easier or harder if the guns involved in crimes where registered and u could find out its history..... :purple


I have records and pictures of my firearms in case they're ever stolen. I can provide serial numbers and so forth.

Registration is only done by law-abiding citizens, not criminals who get guns through illegal means.

So registration of firearms might make tracing firearms easier for law enforcement, but registration of firearms would not deter crime.
"At least he's not Hillary" - Hatty

"There's only one solution: MORE guns!" - greggerypeccary

... "mr know it all" - Bongalong
User avatar
SethBullock
Jaguar
 
Posts: 2147
Joined: 22 Oct 2018, 12:37
Location: Oregon, USA
spamone: Animal

PreviousNext

Return to Politics

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 2 guests