Wars

Discuss politics and current affairs here.

Hot topic: The scourge of negative gearing, Friends of the NBN and wrecking lives.  The economy and Poll tracking— all the polls.

Special Feature 1: Peter Costello and our current deficits.
Special Feature 2: Dr Turnbull and the wrong NBN prescription
Special Feature 3: The Denigration of science, technology and education.
Forum rules
The rules for this board are in the Charter of Moderation. Politics is for serious discussion of politics, economics and current affairs.

Re: Wars

Postby Aussie » 28 Oct 2019, 14:48

Have a look at a World Map. This raid is said to have taken place in NW Syria. That is a bloody long way from the nearest point of Iraq and right adjacent to Turkey. This Turks are up to their neck in this.
Aussie
Minister for Foreign Affairs

Postby Chuck » 28 Oct 2019, 17:19

SethBullock wrote:I read an unconfirmed report that the Turks may have been the source of the initial intelligence.
The general perception is that the Turks funded ISIS to attack the Kurds!

Why didn’t the Turks special forces take out this bloke if they were on our side?

They are unreliable allies and are leaning towards Russia!

Chuck
Chuck
mountain lion

spamone: Animal

Postby DonDeeHippy » 29 Oct 2019, 04:52

Chuck wrote:
SethBullock wrote:I read an unconfirmed report that the Turks may have been the source of the initial intelligence.

Why didn’t the Turks special forces take out this bloke if they were on our side?

Chuck

All the more reason for the yanks to get out and pay their bloody bill to the un and let them do what they where created for.... :purple
Bongalong... for some reason women are just so superior to anything that ever existed or will ever exist!
DonDeeHippy
Jaguar

Postby Squire » 29 Oct 2019, 11:15

Chuck wrote:

Chuck

Saudi Arabia, Qatar, and the Gulf states, Kuwait, Bahrain, and the UAE are the entities funding ISIS.

The Turks are opportunists who merely profited from the flow of money across their border and profited from the oil sold by ISIS to Turkish entities at a huge discount to world prices.

https://www.channel4.com/news/factcheck/factcheck-qa-is-saudi-arabia-funding-isis

... Perhaps the most powerful indication of Saudi’s financial links with ISIS can be seen in the cache of emails leaked from the office of Hillary Clinton, who was US Secretary of State from 2009 to 2013.

The messages, published by Wikileaks, contain an unambiguous statement by her campaign chairman, John Podesta:

“We need to use our diplomatic and more traditional intelligence assets to bring pressure on the governments of Qatar and Saudi Arabia, which are providing clandestine financial and logistic support to ISIL and other radical Sunni groups in the region.” ...
Squire
Cheetah

Postby SethBullock » 29 Oct 2019, 13:06

NORTHERN SYRIA – The U.S. raid that killed Islamic State leader Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi was months in the making and involved significant intelligence from Kurdish allies in Syria – including a rare informant at the heart of ISIS who was in the compound at the time of the raid, Fox News has learned.

Gen. Mazloum Abdi, the Syrian Democratic Forces (SDF) commander, told Fox News how they tracked al-Baghdadi after the caliphate fell.

The general said the informant “told us that he moved west to Idlib, and to a specific house. We told American intelligence on May 15, and together set up a secret cell, which had three Americans in it.”

The SDF informant told them about the tunnels under the compound, how many people were with al-Baghdadi, and that he was planning to move, having been at that location for months. That’s when the U.S. carried out the attack at the compound Saturday, and brought out the informant safely.

Informants within ISIS are extremely rare. To have one so close to the leader is unheard of, and a remarkable achievement for Kurdish forces.

Mazloum said the raid could not have been possible without Kurdish intelligence.

Separately, a senior U.S. defense official described the SDF as a “key player” in the operation but noted the SDF and Kurds did not fly in with U.S. forces. The official said 11 children who were in the al-Baghdadi compound were “physically turned over to a trusted individual in the area.”

https://www.foxnews.com/world/al-baghda ... df-general
“I shall pass through this world but once. Any good that I can do or any kindness I can show to any human being, let me do it now. Let me not defer nor neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again.” - Stephen Grellet
SethBullock
Warthog

Postby SethBullock » 24 Jan 2020, 12:47

Interesting piece of news from the Long War Journal.

The U.S. killed the emir of AQIS (Al Qaeda in the Indian Subcontinent) last September in Afghanistan. But the U.S. has suppressed this information because it was inconvenient in light of negotiations with the Afghan taliban.

The U.S. Department of Defense suppressed a press release that would have announced the death of Asim Umar, the emir of Al Qaeda in the Indian Subcontinent, because it “would complicate future negotiations with the Taliban,” military officials have told FDD’s Long War Journal.

The U.S. military killed Umar in the Taliban stronghold of Musa Qala in Helmand province, Afghanistan on Sept. 23, 2019. Umar was killed just two weeks after President Donald Trump canceled a possible deal between the U.S. and the Taliban. As part of that accord, the U.S. was willing to accept the Taliban’s supposed counterterrorism assurances.

The Sept. 23 raid exposed the ongoing ties between the Taliban and al Qaeda’s branch in South Asia. Among the 17 people killed was Haji Mahmood, the Taliban’s military commander for the neighboring district of Naw Zad, which is also controlled by the Taliban.

Read more at https://www.longwarjournal.org/archives ... s-emir.php

Ayman al-Zawahiri is the leader of Al Qaeda. He has several #2's, each assigned to AQ's operations in certain areas of the world. This terrorist who was killed was the leader of AQIS, and area that encompasses Afghanistan, Pakistan, India, and the rest of SE Asia. Ordinarily, this would be pretty big news, but U.S. kept this quiet while negotiating with the taliban.
“I shall pass through this world but once. Any good that I can do or any kindness I can show to any human being, let me do it now. Let me not defer nor neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again.” - Stephen Grellet
SethBullock
Warthog

Postby Squire » 25 Jan 2020, 08:36

SethBullock wrote:Interesting piece of news from the Long War Journal.

The U.S. killed the emir of AQIS (Al Qaeda in the Indian Subcontinent) last September in Afghanistan. But the U.S. has suppressed this information because it was inconvenient in light of negotiations with the Afghan taliban.

The U.S. Department of Defense suppressed a press release that would have announced the death of Asim Umar, the emir of Al Qaeda in the Indian Subcontinent, because it “would complicate future negotiations with the Taliban,” military officials have told FDD’s Long War Journal.

The U.S. military killed Umar in the Taliban stronghold of Musa Qala in Helmand province, Afghanistan on Sept. 23, 2019. Umar was killed just two weeks after President Donald Trump canceled a possible deal between the U.S. and the Taliban. As part of that accord, the U.S. was willing to accept the Taliban’s supposed counterterrorism assurances.

The Sept. 23 raid exposed the ongoing ties between the Taliban and al Qaeda’s branch in South Asia. Among the 17 people killed was Haji Mahmood, the Taliban’s military commander for the neighboring district of Naw Zad, which is also controlled by the Taliban.

Ayman al-Zawahiri is the leader of Al Qaeda. He has several #2's, each assigned to AQ's operations in certain areas of the world. This terrorist who was killed was the leader of AQIS, and area that encompasses Afghanistan, Pakistan, India, and the rest of SE Asia. Ordinarily, this would be pretty big news, but U.S. kept this quiet while negotiating with the taliban.

Killing the leaders of opponents you are negotiating with tends not to be a good negotiating strategy for peace negotiations.

I wonder how many non-combatants and innocents were killed in the alleged Ayman al-Zawahiri strike.
Squire
Cheetah

Postby SethBullock » 26 Jan 2020, 13:15

Squire wrote:

Killing the leaders of opponents you are negotiating with tends not to be a good negotiating strategy for peace negotiations.

I wonder how many non-combatants and innocents were killed in the alleged Ayman al-Zawahiri strike.

It wasn't a strike on Zawahiri, AQ's overall leader. He is probably living safely on a Pakistani military base. The strike was on one of his #2's, a terrorist named Asim Umar.
SethBullock
Warthog

Postby Squire » 26 Jan 2020, 13:21

SethBullock wrote:
Squire wrote:

It wasn't a strike on Zawahiri, AQ's overall leader. He is probably living safely on a Pakistani military base. The strike was on one of his #2's, a terrorist named Asim Umar.

Plus an unknown number of innocent civilians and non-combatants.

The military labels every dead person as a terrorist because the dead can't deny it.

Smart bombs, dumb bombardiers.

Reminds me of the Blackhawk incident exposed by Wikileaks where a US Blackhawk helicopter pilot JOYFULLY shot up a bunch of innocent Iraqis and then, with 30 mm cannon fire, totally shot to pieces a poor badly wounded unarmed victim who was crawling through the dust trying to escape. And then, not satisfied with that war crime, the Blackhawk guy shot up a truck that stopped to help the wounded, killing a father and wounding two small children in the cabin of the truck.

The military do not care who they kill. In fact, they prefer civilians because civilians do not shoot back. In Iraq and Afghanistan, US drone operators attacked numerous wedding parties and funerals.

George Orwell said: "All the war-propaganda, all the screaming and lies and hatred, comes invariably from people who are not fighting. Political language...is designed to make lies sound truthful and murder respectable, and to give an appearance of solidarity to pure wind. War against a foreign country only happens when the moneyed classes think they are going to profit from it. Nationalism is power hunger tempered by self-deception."

Squire
Cheetah

Postby DonDeeHippy » 31 Jan 2020, 10:42

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/202 ... ines-obama

Trump doing more War mongering while all eyes are on his Impeachment… truly a Vile creature...

Defence secretary Mark Esper confirmed the policy change that would, according to a Pentagon review, increase danger to US armed forces

The US will end its moratorium on the production and deployment of landmines, in another reversal of Obama-era policies and a further breach with western allies, it has been reported.
The defence secretary, Mark Esper, confirmed that a policy change was imminent but refused to describe it. Vox published a leaked state department cable rescinding Barack Obama’s 2014 ban on production or acquisition of anti-personnel landmines (APLs).
The 2014 directive brought US policy more in line with the 1997 mine ban treaty outlawing the weapons because of their disproportionate harm to civilians

“Mr Trump’s policy rollback is a step toward the past, like many of his other decisions, and sends exactly the wrong message to those working to rid the world of the scourge of landmines,” said Jody Williams, who won the 1997 Nobel peace prize for her work campaigning against the weapons.
“Mr Trump’s landmine move would be in line with all of his other moves to undercut arms control and disarmament in a world much in need of them.”

how anyone could consider Trump as being a man against war I'll never know... :purple
Bongalong... for some reason women are just so superior to anything that ever existed or will ever exist!
DonDeeHippy
Jaguar

Postby SethBullock » 01 Feb 2020, 13:54

It appears as though the U.S. killed the leader of Al Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula (AQAP) in Yemen earlier this month.

The leader of al-Qaida’s Yemen branch is believed to have been killed in a U.S. airstrike earlier this year.

The New York Times said three current or former U.S. officials “expressed confidence” that Qasim al-Raymi, the emir of al-Qaida in the Arabian Peninsula (AQAP), was killed in Yemen, although there was no official confirmation.

For more than five years, al-Raymi, a native of Yemen, had eluded U.S. forces as he led what experts sometimes refer to as al-Qaida’s “most dangerous franchise.” If confirmed, his death would be “very significant,” said Mick Mulroy, who was deputy assistant secretary of defense for the Middle East until late last year.

“He’s a real bad actor,” said Mulroy, who is also a retired CIA paramilitary operations officer and an ABC news analyst. “This is a big win for us.”

Al-Raymi, 41, had been on the United States’ radar for years. After training other militants in al-Qaida training camps in Afghanistan during the 1990s, he returned to Yemen and became a commander of AQAP, according to the U.S. government’s Rewards for Justice website. In 2005 he was sentenced to five years in prison for planning to assassinate the U.S. ambassador, but he escaped the following year.

Since then he has been linked to some of AQAP’s highest-profile attacks, including a September 2008 assault on the U.S. Embassy in the Yemeni capital, Sanaa, that killed 10 Yemeni guards and six civilians.

This was not the first time the United States had tried to get al-Raymi. He was the target of the Jan. 29, 2017, special operations raid in which Navy SEAL Ryan Owens was killed, according to Mulroy. “The United States never forgets,” he said.

https://news.yahoo.com/us-killed-a-top- ... 55178.html

I salute our intelligence services and special operations forces for a job well done.

eagle.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
SethBullock
Warthog

Postby Chuck » 01 Feb 2020, 20:35

Squire wrote:Saudi Arabia, Qatar, and the Gulf states, Kuwait, Bahrain, and the UAE are the entities funding ISIS.

The Turks are opportunists who merely profited from the flow of money across their border and profited from the oil sold by ISIS to Turkish entities at a huge discount to world prices.
Including Israel!

Israel treating al-Qaida fighters wounded in Syria civil war
Nusra Front is the Sunni Muslim al-Qaida offshoot which is currently fighting the Iranian-backed axis of Bashar Assad and Hezbollah in Syria.

Israel has opened its borders with Syria in order to provide medical treatment to Nusra Front and al-Qaida fighters wounded in the ongoing civil war, according to The Wall Street Journal.

The prominent American newspaper reported that Nusra Front, the Sunni Muslim al-Qaida offshoot which is currently fighting the Iranian-backed axis of Bashar Assad and Hezbollah, "hasn't bothered Israel since seizing the border area last summer" along the Golan Heights.

While Israel views al-Qaida and its allies as enemies, it is far more disturbed by what it views as an even bigger menace – Iran and its proxies.

According to The Wall Street Journal, this attitude has caused tension with the United States, which has also targeted al-Qaida and Nusra Front fighters in Syria.
Chuck
mountain lion

Postby DonDeeHippy » 02 Feb 2020, 05:46

Chuck wrote:
Squire wrote:Saudi Arabia, Qatar, and the Gulf states, Kuwait, Bahrain, and the UAE are the entities funding ISIS.

Including Israel!

Nusra Front is the Sunni Muslim al-Qaida offshoot which is currently fighting the Iranian-backed axis of Bashar Assad and Hezbollah in Syria.

Israel has opened its borders with Syria in order to provide medical treatment to Nusra Front and al-Qaida fighters wounded in the ongoing civil war, according to The Wall Street Journal.

The prominent American newspaper reported that Nusra Front, the Sunni Muslim al-Qaida offshoot which is currently fighting the Iranian-backed axis of Bashar Assad and Hezbollah, "hasn't bothered Israel since seizing the border area last summer" along the Golan Heights.

While Israel views al-Qaida and its allies as enemies, it is far more disturbed by what it views as an even bigger menace – Iran and its proxies.

According to The Wall Street Journal, this attitude has caused tension with the United States, which has also targeted al-Qaida and Nusra Front fighters in Syria.

“We don’t ask who they are, we don’t do any screening," the official said. "Once the treatment is done, we take them back to the border and they go on their way.”

Hard to hate a people and Country that saves your life and returns you home..... :purple
DonDeeHippy
Jaguar

Postby Chuck » 02 Feb 2020, 22:23

DonDeeHippy wrote:
Chuck wrote:

Including Israel!

“We don’t ask who they are, we don’t do any screening," the official said. "Once the treatment is done, we take them back to the border and they go on their way.”

Hard to hate a people and Country that saves your life and returns you home..... :purple
During the Vietnam war, their was nothing worse then the Yanks bopping off a crappy Viet Cong sniper at the airfield. who only managed to put an odd bullet hole in the tailplane.

It is sometimes an advantage to kno who is near ur locality and simply put up with their presence!
Chuck
mountain lion

Postby SethBullock » 03 Feb 2020, 15:22

AQAP Claims "Full Responsibility" For Shooting at Naval Air Station Pensacola

Al Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula (AQAP) has claimed “full responsibility” for the Dec. 6 shooting at Naval Air Station Pensacola. The shooting was carried out by Mohammed Saeed Alshamrani (Al-Shamrani), a member of the Saudi military who was being trained by the Americans. Shamrani was shot dead by local authorities, but only after he killed three people and wounded several more.

AQAP released a special video dedicated to the shooting earlier today. The production features AQAP’s emir, Qasim al-Raymi, who was reportedly killed in a U.S. air strike last month. Raymi’s demise has not been officially confirmed by either the Americans or AQAP. The video was recorded prior to the bombing. ...

... Raymi claims that Shamrani was a sleeper agent of sorts, patiently waiting to strike,

“For several years, our hero moved between several US military bases in America to select and contemplate his best and fattest target,” Raymi claims. “Allah bestowed him great patience, and due to the Grace of Him alone, he passed all the military tests and all the security procedures.”

“For years, our hero was hiding his intention in his heart till Allah the Almighty granted him success,” Raymi continues. “He watered America, the enemy of Allah, from the same bitter cup, which she makes Muslims tase it every day.”

https://www.longwarjournal.org/archives ... sacola.php
SethBullock
Warthog

Postby Squire » 06 Feb 2020, 23:42

The military needs to kill people frequently and in great numbers in order not to lose the skill or the will.

Innocent civilians are a preferential target because they don't shoot back and can't deny being terrorists after their death.

Donald Trump is turning the US military into a mercenary force.
Squire
Cheetah

Postby johnsmith » 07 Feb 2020, 19:44

SethBullock wrote:l Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula (AQAP) has claimed “full responsibility” for the Dec. 6 shooting at Naval Air Station Pensacola.

your problem Seth is that AQ claims responsibility for everything that makes it look like they're sticking it to the US ... even stuff they only found out about after the fact
FD.
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.
johnsmith
Mastodon

Postby SethBullock » 08 Feb 2020, 11:21

johnsmith wrote:
SethBullock wrote:l Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula (AQAP) has claimed “full responsibility” for the Dec. 6 shooting at Naval Air Station Pensacola.

your problem Seth is that AQ claims responsibility for everything that makes it look like they're sticking it to the US ... even stuff they only found out about after the fact

It's not far-fetched to believe they were responsible. They were responsible either directly, or they inspired the attack. The investigation of the incident has resulted in the U.S. government labeling this a terrorist attack, not a "crazy", nor was it simply an angry, disgruntled person. It was a terrorist attack.
SethBullock
Warthog

Postby DonDeeHippy » 08 Feb 2020, 11:58

johnsmith wrote:

Sounds like Trump :yellow
DonDeeHippy
Jaguar

Postby Squire » 08 Feb 2020, 13:41

SethBullock wrote:AQAP Claims "Full Responsibility" For Shooting at Naval Air Station Pensacola

Al Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula (AQAP) has claimed “full responsibility” for the Dec. 6 shooting at Naval Air Station Pensacola. The shooting was carried out by Mohammed Saeed Alshamrani (Al-Shamrani), a member of the Saudi military who was being trained by the Americans. Shamrani was shot dead by local authorities, but only after he killed three people and wounded several more.

AQAP released a special video dedicated to the shooting earlier today. The production features AQAP’s emir, Qasim al-Raymi, who was reportedly killed in a U.S. air strike last month. Raymi’s demise has not been officially confirmed by either the Americans or AQAP. The video was recorded prior to the bombing. ...

... Raymi claims that Shamrani was a sleeper agent of sorts, patiently waiting to strike,

“For several years, our hero moved between several US military bases in America to select and contemplate his best and fattest target,” Raymi claims. “Allah bestowed him great patience, and due to the Grace of Him alone, he passed all the military tests and all the security procedures.”

“For years, our hero was hiding his intention in his heart till Allah the Almighty granted him success,” Raymi continues. “He watered America, the enemy of Allah, from the same bitter cup, which she makes Muslims tase it every day.”

https://www.longwarjournal.org/archives ... sacola.php

Does that mean Donald Trump's buddy MBS has an alibi?
Squire
Cheetah

Previous

Return to Politics