Wars

Discuss politics and current affairs here.

Hot topic: The scourge of negative gearing, Friends of the NBN and wrecking lives.  The economy and Poll tracking— all the polls.

Special Feature 1: Peter Costello and our current deficits.
Special Feature 2: Dr Turnbull and the wrong NBN prescription
Special Feature 3: The Denigration of science, technology and education.
Forum rules
The rules for this board are in the Charter of Moderation. Politics is for serious discussion of politics, economics and current affairs.

Re: Wars

Postby SethBullock » 09 May 2019, 11:42

johnsmith wrote:
SethBullock wrote:hat Israel is here to stay for the foreseeable future,

without a doubt. They're there for the long term.

SethBullock wrote: and I suggest that they just allow Israel to absorb them.

my problem with that is that it is never likely to happen. If instead of the current situation you found yourself with Mexico as the superpower and the US it's bitch, would you agree to be absorbed into Mexico?

that's a hard pill to swallow for any proud people.

I think a 2 state solution is the only option with a realistic chance of success. The higher ups from both sides have just got to stop over reacting to those determined to stop it working .

Granted, my POV is a pragmatic, dispassionate point of view, but I think it's realistic.

I have not forgotten that my people rebelled and fought for their independence, so I can appreciate that it would be hard to swallow what I have suggested. But there are also some huge differences between America's history and the present situation with the Palestinians, and so we're not, in my view, comparing apples to apples.

For one, the leadership is fractured between the leaders of the PA and Hamas, and the two organizations have fundamental differences that cannot be resolved.

Second, Gaza is not an independently viable state, unlike the U.S. at the time of our revolution. Gaza is wholly dependent upon the outside world. It is like a big welfare state. The West Bank Palestinians produce fruits and vegetables and are closely dependent upon Israel's economy.

Third, the PA has a deplorable history of corruption.

So all of these are giant impediments to forming a viable, independent, peaceful country where people could thrive and prosper.

For all of us, nature has given us a window of time. When that window is over for us, all that is left of our legacy is our children and grandchildren. I hope to have been a small part of giving the best life they can have in their window of time.

From a dispassionate point of view, objectively, if I were a Palestinian, I would rather just let Israel absorb these territories. If some of them just couldn't stand living under Israeli rule, they could migrate to Egypt or Lebanon or Jordan perhaps. But for the rest, they could take advantage of the opportunities that Israel could offer, raise children in peace, and strive for a positive future.

Presently, 20% of Israel's population is Arab. 17% of Israel's population is Muslim. These are citizens of Israel, and I think I would be willing to join them if I were a Palestinian of Gaza or the West Bank. I understand that there are political restrictions on the Arabs and Muslims in Israel. But, objectively, this is the era of the Jewish state in control, and that will not change for a long, long time. Right now, a Palestinian may make a statement by resisting, but they will change nothing. And in this present era, resistance will do nothing to better the lives of their people, their children, their loved ones, or their descendants.

I know ... Easy for me to say. But, because I am dispassionate, I can be objective and pragmatic and think instead about what is best for my "window of time", and that of my children and grandchildren.

Seth
“I shall pass through this world but once. Any good that I can do or any kindness I can show to any human being, let me do it now. Let me not defer nor neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again.” - Stephen Grellet
SethBullock
Warthog

spamone: Animal

Postby DonDeeHippy » 09 May 2019, 12:57

I remember a man from Israel (it was about suicide bombers) saying something like
If they could love themselves more than they hate us, we could all have a chance. :purple
Bongalong... for some reason women are just so superior to anything that ever existed or will ever exist!
DonDeeHippy
Jaguar

Postby SethBullock » 09 May 2019, 13:14

DonDeeHippy wrote:I remember a man from Israel (it was about suicide bombers) saying something like
If they could love themselves more than they hate us, we could all have a chance. :purple

Agree.
“I shall pass through this world but once. Any good that I can do or any kindness I can show to any human being, let me do it now. Let me not defer nor neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again.” - Stephen Grellet
SethBullock
Warthog

Postby HBS Guy » 09 May 2019, 15:28

Israel could help by not stealing land.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby DonDeeHippy » 09 May 2019, 17:07

HBS Guy wrote:Israel could help by not stealing land.

what land is that Monk ?
I've looked and haven't found any expansion of Israel since 1967..... :purple
or are you talking about the removal of the Israeli citizen Bedouins towns in the desert....
Bongalong... for some reason women are just so superior to anything that ever existed or will ever exist!
DonDeeHippy
Jaguar

Postby johnsmith » 09 May 2019, 17:19

DonDeeHippy wrote:
HBS Guy wrote:Israel could help by not stealing land.

what land is that Monk ?
I've looked and haven't found any expansion of Israel since 1967..... :purple
or are you talking about the removal of the Israeli citizen Bedouins towns in the desert....

mainly the west bank ... occupied during the 6 day war of 67 but it was never a part of Israel

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Israeli-occupied_territories
FD.
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.
johnsmith
Mastodon

Postby SethBullock » 25 May 2019, 13:41

U.S. Strikes Against Shabaab and ISIS in Somalia Continue

US Africa Command (AFRICOM) targeted Shabaab, al Qaeda’s branch in East Africa, and the Islamic State in two airstrikes on May 22. AFRICOM has stepped up its targeting of the Islamic State, and continues to pursue its efforts to “degrade” al Qaeda’s branch in Somalia.

The attack against the Islamic State is the fifth against the terror group this year. All five operations have taken place since April 14 and were located in northern Somalia (four in the Golis Mountains, and one in Xiriiro). The April 14 assault killed Abdulhakim Dhuqub, the group’s deputy emir. Two of the offensives targeted Islamic State “encampments” in the Golis Mountains and killed 17 fighters. Today’s strike is thought to have killed two Islamic State members.

The May 22 operation against Shabaab, which took place in Baled Amin in southern Somalia, is the 33rd against the group since the beginning of the year. Two Shabaab fighters are estimated to have been killed.

https://www.longwarjournal.org/archives ... omalia.php
SethBullock
Warthog

Postby Dax » 25 May 2019, 14:54

See the Rump has ordered more troops and weaponry to the middle east again today, so much for the claim he is withdrawing troops and is not a warmonger. :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl
Dax
Jaguar

Postby SethBullock » 25 May 2019, 15:53

Dax wrote:See the Rump has ordered more troops and weaponry to the middle east again today, so much for the claim he is withdrawing troops and is not a warmonger. :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl

I don't think he's warmonger, but I do think we should get out of Syria and Iraq.
SethBullock
Warthog

Postby HBS Guy » 25 May 2019, 21:19

HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby SethBullock » 26 May 2019, 10:46

I read the article.

Funny thing about Trump detractors ... They like to say he only cares about the rich corporatists.

And yet, whose crying now?
SethBullock
Warthog

Postby SethBullock » 26 May 2019, 11:01

Admiral McRaven recalls talk with troops before Bin Laden raid

As a team of U.S. Navy Seals prepared to take down the mastermind behind the Sept. 11 attacks, Admiral William McRaven had some frank words for his troops.

While recalling that raid during an interview on "Fox & Friends," McRaven said he treated the raid like "any other mission." "What I told the guys was, 'look, it is going to be easy to get overcome by the moment but just do your job.'"

He told Pete Hegseth that the raid felt different given that if former Al Qaeda leader Usama Bin Laden was in that Pakistani compound, his troops would be taking part in a "historic moment in terms of bringing justice to all those people that were killed in 9/11."

When Hegseth asked what kept the admiral going, he said the young men and women of the military.

"If you spend time around the young men and women of the military, you can't help but be inspired by their courage, their heroism, their sacrifice ... all you got to do is spend a little time with them and you'll get the energy to do the job." ...

... After Hegseth asked about raising good kids, McRaven praised milennials as the "next greatest generation."

"I'm probably the biggest fan of the milennials you'll ever meet and I think that surprises people," he said. "I hear this that the milennials are pampered and they're soft and they're entitled. I'm quick to tell people, 'then you never saw them in a firefight in Afghanistan' or 'you never saw them in a classroom in the University of Texas system trying to improve their life and the lives of their families."

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/admira ... laden-raid
SethBullock
Warthog

Postby Sprintcyclist » 27 May 2019, 01:20

good news

......... Around 1,000 of them are foreigners, from 50 different countries, including "quite a number" of Australians, according to the DAA.

But Australia has taken steps to make it more difficult for IS members and their families to return.

In November the Government proposed "temporary exclusion orders", which would allow them to deny an Australian citizen suspected of terrorism offences the right to return home for two years.

Under the legislation, the Home Affairs Minister would be able to issue a permit for a foreign country to deport a terror suspect only under certain conditions. .........

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-05-27/hundreds-of-children-dead-in-islamic-state-camp-in-syria/11110958
Sprintcyclist
Jaguar

Postby SethBullock » 27 May 2019, 03:23

Sprintcyclist wrote:good news

......... Around 1,000 of them are foreigners, from 50 different countries, including "quite a number" of Australians, according to the DAA.

But Australia has taken steps to make it more difficult for IS members and their families to return.

In November the Government proposed "temporary exclusion orders", which would allow them to deny an Australian citizen suspected of terrorism offences the right to return home for two years.

Under the legislation, the Home Affairs Minister would be able to issue a permit for a foreign country to deport a terror suspect only under certain conditions. .........

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-05-27/hundreds-of-children-dead-in-islamic-state-camp-in-syria/11110958

In my opinion, if you have Australians in Syria or Iraq who fought for ISIS, they should be stripped of their citizenship and left to the Syrians and Iraqis to deal with as they see fit.
SethBullock
Warthog

Postby Dax » 27 May 2019, 04:51

SethBullock wrote:
Dax wrote:See the Rump has ordered more troops and weaponry to the middle east again today, so much for the claim he is withdrawing troops and is not a warmonger. :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl

I don't think he's warmonger, but I do think we should get out of Syria and Iraq.

All god nutters are warmongers, they may claim otherwise, but when you believe in a mythical god of war, there is no other choice in the end. The history of the cult is nothing but war, invasion, suppression, racism and idiocy. Your country is a prime example of all those ideological traits, as are many others and now we have fundamentalist christians in power here, war will become the norm against the people, environment and future.

The Rump is a perfect example of that insanity, as are all politicians today, all cloned ideologues of various persuasions and all believe in war of some kind, That may be psychological, physical, social, cultural or economic, war is the backbone of belief and history is the undeniable evidence of those facts.
Dax
Jaguar

Postby Sprintcyclist » 27 May 2019, 07:12

SethBullock wrote:

In my opinion, if you have Australians in Syria or Iraq who fought for ISIS, they should be stripped of their citizenship and left to the Syrians and Iraqis to deal with as they see fit.

Absolutely, that is where they wanted to go.
they refused our society.
Sprintcyclist
Jaguar

Postby DonDeeHippy » 27 May 2019, 07:56

Sprintcyclist wrote:
SethBullock wrote:

Really any Australian Citizen that wants to be in another's defence force should have to renounce their citizenship for the other country....
In the late 80's Australia changed the rules for our defence force to that, before people from Commonwealth countries could be in our defence force.... They had the option of leaving or getting citizenship if they wanted to stay in... :purple
DonDeeHippy
Jaguar

Postby Auggie » 27 May 2019, 19:09

DonDeeHippy wrote:
Sprintcyclist wrote:
SethBullock wrote:

Really any Australian Citizen that wants to be in another's defence force should have to renounce their citizenship for the other country....
In the late 80's Australia changed the rules for our defence force to that, before people from Commonwealth countries could be in our defence force.... They had the option of leaving or getting citizenship if they wanted to stay in... :purple

Any citizen of Commonwealth Realm should be allowed to serve in the ADF, and vice versa.

After all, they swear allegiance to the same monarch and commander-in-chief.
Apart from chattel slavery, Jim Crow, John C Calhoun, the Robber Barons, the Civil War, George Wallace, segregation, Ronald Reagan, violent crime, serial killers and Donald Trump, what makes America the shittest nation on earth?
Auggie
Pain in the Butt

Postby DonDeeHippy » 14 Jun 2019, 07:16

https://edition.cnn.com/middleeast/live ... I2rhcprb5E

The US blamed Iran for the attacks today. Here's what Iran has said about them.
US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo said Iran is responsible for today's attacks on two tankers in the Gulf of Oman.
He said the the United States government is drawing this conclusion based on "on intelligence, the weapons used, the level of expertise needed to execute the operation" — but he did not offer any concrete evidence to support the claim.
National Security Adviser John Bolton earlier today also spoke out to put responsibility on Iran, but also did not offer evidence.
Here's what Iran has said about the attacks: Iranian Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif noted that one of the ships is Japanese owned and that the attack took place as Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe was visiting Iran. He called the attack "suspicious" in a tweet.
Meanwhile, Russia has cautioned against "hasty statements" over the attack, with a spokesperson for the Kremlin saying it was premature to draw conclusions about the cause of the incident.

Looks like Trumpies itchen for a War.... :purple
DonDeeHippy
Jaguar

Postby Squire » 14 Jun 2019, 11:12

The USA has cornered Iran and the only way out is war.

Iran cannot totally surrender because elements of the Iran military will not surrender. So the only outcome of the current discord is war.

War will totally decimate the Gulf states including Dubai possibly causing a mass exodus of foreign nationals who have been permanent residents of Dubai.

The UAE will not recover if there is a war. People who leave will not come back except to dispose of their assets at bargain basement prices.
Squire
Cheetah

Postby HBS Guy » 14 Jun 2019, 14:47

Iran is not Iraq. No pushover of a small state by the US. I am filled with forebodings. I hope for once we will not get dragged in as Uncle Sam’s Depooty Dawg.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby johnsmith » 14 Jun 2019, 18:01

DonDeeHippy wrote:https://edition.cnn.com/middleeast/live-news/gulf-of-oman-incident-latest-intl/index.html?fbclid=IwAR3zOqOsxUra_FzFRPqCpZN-AL0bYEZFtksPKjC51Hyqpm5R0I2rhcprb5E

The US blamed Iran for the attacks today. Here's what Iran has said about them.
US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo said Iran is responsible for today's attacks on two tankers in the Gulf of Oman.
He said the the United States government is drawing this conclusion based on "on intelligence, the weapons used, the level of expertise needed to execute the operation" — but he did not offer any concrete evidence to support the claim.
National Security Adviser John Bolton earlier today also spoke out to put responsibility on Iran, but also did not offer evidence.
Here's what Iran has said about the attacks: Iranian Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif noted that one of the ships is Japanese owned and that the attack took place as Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe was visiting Iran. He called the attack "suspicious" in a tweet.
Meanwhile, Russia has cautioned against "hasty statements" over the attack, with a spokesperson for the Kremlin saying it was premature to draw conclusions about the cause of the incident.

Looks like Trumpies itchen for a War.... :purple

I suspect you might be right ..... they're releasing the 'evidence' now

[url]US releases video it says shows Iranian military recovering mine from oil tanker in Gulf of Oman[/url]

i hope it's better than all that evidence they released about saddams WMD's :roll
FD.
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.
johnsmith
Mastodon

Postby SethBullock » 14 Jun 2019, 23:49

No matter what Trump does or doesn’t do, our Democrats will hate it.
SethBullock
Warthog

Postby DonDeeHippy » 15 Jun 2019, 06:39

I hope trumpies not trying for war, the countries the USA "liberate" never recover.... :purple
DonDeeHippy
Jaguar

Postby HBS Guy » 15 Jun 2019, 10:23

https://thenewdaily.com.au/news/world/2019/06/14/us-war-iran-tanker/

Yeah, US would be the loser in fact.

Bolton is a hawk for war, any war. He won’t be sent to fight!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

PreviousNext

Return to Politics