Wars

Discuss politics and current affairs here.

Hot topic: The scourge of negative gearing, Friends of the NBN and wrecking lives.  The economy and Poll tracking— all the polls.

Special Feature 1: Peter Costello and our current deficits.
Special Feature 2: Dr Turnbull and the wrong NBN prescription
Special Feature 3: The Denigration of science, technology and education.
Forum rules
The rules for this board are in the Charter of Moderation. Politics is for serious discussion of politics, economics and current affairs.

Wars

Postby SethBullock » 17 Jan 2019, 09:03

If you want to discuss something about a war, past or present, here is a thread for that.
“I shall pass through this world but once. Any good that I can do or any kindness I can show to any human being, let me do it now. Let me not defer nor neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again.” - Stephen Grellet
SethBullock
Warthog

spamone: Animal

Re: Wars

Postby SethBullock » 17 Jan 2019, 09:05

I saw this video and found it sort of eerie and thought provoking.

The quiet pastoral countryside, a farmhouse, an old man who was 10 years old during the war, and old WW2 bunkers.
“I shall pass through this world but once. Any good that I can do or any kindness I can show to any human being, let me do it now. Let me not defer nor neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again.” - Stephen Grellet
SethBullock
Warthog

Postby SethBullock » 17 Jan 2019, 12:29

Islamist extremists don't tolerate other islamic extremists too well. The same things have happened in Afghanistan and Syria. Shabaab is aligned with Al Qaeda.

Shabaab kills pro-Islamic State commander
By Caleb Weiss | January 14th, 2019 | weiss.caleb2@gmail.com | @Weissenberg7

According to Somali website Garowe Online, Shabaab militants recently gunned down a pro-Islamic State commander in the southern Somali town of Bu’ale. Shabaab has not confirmed this event, but it rarely publicly comments on assassinations or executions of this nature.

Garowe states that “Yahya Haji Fiile, known as Abu Zakariye, was killed in the district after Shabaab intelligence linked him to the Islamic State in Somalia.” The article continues by stating that Fiile, a former top Shabaab commander, initially fell out with the jihadist group in 2016 after it killed Bashir Abu Numan.

Abu Numan was one of the first Shabaab commanders to defect to the Islamic State, but he was killed by Shabaab’s internal security force, the Amniyat, in late 2015. Since then, the Amniyat has hunted down and killed dozens of former Shabaab members and leaders who defected to the Islamic State or who professed pro-Islamic State sympathies.

https://www.longwarjournal.org/archives ... mander.php
SethBullock
Warthog

Postby HBS Guy » 17 Jan 2019, 15:52

SethBullock wrote:I saw this video and found it sort of eerie and thought provoking.

The quiet pastoral countryside, a farmhouse, an old man who was 10 years old during the war, and old WW2 bunkers.

As a child in Holland we were taken through a bunker located in the sand dunes around Scheveningen near The Hague. This one was rounded, no straight walls on the outside. Same massively thick cement walls and narrow passages plus an embrasure for firing through. Never used for real, of course—Allies landed in Normandy. Would not have liked to go up against it with just a rifle and a couple little grenades.

Massive brooding presence even several years after the war.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 17 Jan 2019, 16:06

For some reason I have read up (on wiki, maybe I need to buy a good book?) on the US Civil War.

Lee really truly stuffed up at Gettysburg—Pickett’s charge, just throwing away good troops. He had been advised to go on the offensive strategically and the defensive tactically: so entrench on the road to Washington that the yank army would have to attack them taking big losses. Same mistake Hitler made at Stalingrad: don’t get into a war of attrition against a numerically superior enemy.

Grant got Lee on the run by using his numbers to extend his lines around Richmond-Petersburg beyond what Lee could respond to, hence the retreat to Appomatox.

Wars are fascinating because they are turning points in history: socially, technologically, politically. Women worked in the munitions factories in the world wars and liked earning their own money and Womens Liberation was born. Then came the Pill.

Interesting factoid: the last battle of the civil war took place in Texas. The Confederates won that battle but not, of course, the war.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby SethBullock » 17 Jan 2019, 17:49

HBS Guy wrote:For some reason I have read up (on wiki, maybe I need to buy a good book?) on the US Civil War.

Lee really truly stuffed up at Gettysburg—Pickett’s charge, just throwing away good troops. He had been advised to go on the offensive strategically and the defensive tactically: so entrench on the road to Washington that the yank army would have to attack them taking big losses. Same mistake Hitler made at Stalingrad: don’t get into a war of attrition against a numerically superior enemy.

Grant got Lee on the run by using his numbers to extend his lines around Richmond-Petersburg beyond what Lee could respond to, hence the retreat to Appomatox.

Wars are fascinating because they are turning points in history: socially, technologically, politically. Women worked in the munitions factories in the world wars and liked earning their own money and Womens Liberation was born. Then came the Pill.

Interesting factoid: the last battle of the civil war took place in Texas. The Confederates won that battle but not, of course, the war.

Surely, my nation's darkest hour when we took up arms against each other in an all-out war. We've had some other dark hours, but none as dark as that, in my opinion.

Yes, you're right about Lee, and numerical superiority of the North, and a war of attrition.
SethBullock
Warthog

Postby HBS Guy » 17 Jan 2019, 19:02

Yes, dark notes of Yank killing Rebel & vv. But it could also be considered the fulfillment of the promise of freedom in the Declaration of Independence.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 17 Jan 2019, 19:17

And showing how stupid and hidebound chief brass can be there is the civil war example of a HUGE mine exploded under enemy (rebel) lines and when the yankee troops advanced and jumped into the crater left by the mine they were easy meat for the rebs either side and behind the crater.

Yet in WWI the Brits pulled the same boneheaded stunt: mine the enemy lines, pack the sap full of explosives, set it off BOOM then have Tommies rush and jump into the crater only to become a turkey shoot to huns either side and behind the crater.

Don’t rush to enlist: make sure the cause is just and doubly check the top brass have some idea what war they are fighting!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby Bongalong » 17 Jan 2019, 20:41

HBS Guy wrote:And showing how stupid and hidebound chief brass can be there is the civil war example of a HUGE mine exploded under enemy (rebel) lines and when the yankee troops advanced and jumped into the crater left by the mine they were easy meat for the rebs either side and behind the crater.

Yet in WWI the Brits pulled the same boneheaded stunt: mine the enemy lines, pack the sap full of explosives, set it off BOOM then have Tommies rush and jump into the crater only to become a turkey shoot to huns either side and behind the crater.

Don’t rush to enlist: make sure the cause is just and doubly check the top brass have some idea what war they are fighting!

In short-----------> DON'T FIGHT OLD MENS WARS!
"Oi!"
Bongalong
Warthog

Postby SethBullock » 18 Jan 2019, 02:12

HBS Guy wrote:And showing how stupid and hidebound chief brass can be there is the civil war example of a HUGE mine exploded under enemy (rebel) lines and when the yankee troops advanced and jumped into the crater left by the mine they were easy meat for the rebs either side and behind the crater.

When I've seen reenactments of Revolutionary and Civil War battles, the manner of battle always sort of repulses me when I see lines of infantry marching towards one another, and then one side or the other takes aim and fires at the opposing line, and scores of men on the other side are hit and collapse without even having a chance or firing a shot. No concealment, no cover ... just marching forward ... little more than an expendable target.
SethBullock
Warthog

Postby SethBullock » 18 Jan 2019, 02:16

HBS Guy wrote:Yes, dark notes of Yank killing Rebel & vv. But it could also be considered the fulfillment of the promise of freedom in the Declaration of Independence.

Yes, the long term outcome was positive - the cementing of our Union, the end of slavery. But, my god! What a terrible way to achieve those things. Just horrible.
SethBullock
Warthog

Postby HBS Guy » 18 Jan 2019, 04:27

Yes, a terrible price.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby Dax » 18 Jan 2019, 04:32

Get rid of the god cult and other insane ideological beliefs and you get rid of war, all wars are fought over religion and ideology.
Dax
Jaguar

Postby HBS Guy » 18 Jan 2019, 04:34

No, plenty of wars are fought for money: access to markets, raw materials etc.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby Dax » 18 Jan 2019, 07:06

HBS Guy wrote:No, plenty of wars are fought for money: access to markets, raw materials etc.

If that's the case, who conducts those wars, other than god nutters and other insane ideologues. Becoming an apologist for the deranged and destructive actions of god nutter reveals your true colours. Name the wars that have not been instigated and fought by god nutters of every kind. Excuses fall short when the reality is presented and they all involve the name of their gods when going to and participating in war, they all claim god is on their side, even when they have the same god.
Dax
Jaguar

Postby Bongalong » 18 Jan 2019, 11:10

Dax wrote:Get rid of the god cult and other insane ideological beliefs and you get rid of war, all wars are fought over religion and ideology.

Bullshit!
"Oi!"
Bongalong
Warthog

Postby Dax » 18 Jan 2019, 11:45

Bongalong wrote:
Dax wrote:Get rid of the god cult and other insane ideological beliefs and you get rid of war, all wars are fought over religion and ideology.

Bullshit!

lets see you support your denial, name a war, conflict or invasion which hasn't been instigated, or involved god nutters in recorded history. In fact name a country god nutter haven't violently invaded and tried to wipe out the indigenous populations.
Dax
Jaguar

Postby HBS Guy » 18 Jan 2019, 11:49

WWII.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby Dax » 18 Jan 2019, 11:55

HBS Guy wrote:WWII.

WW2 was all about religion, seems you've never read Mein Kamp or any of Hitlers speeches, the great christian Aryian race or the fact catholic Germany wanted to wipe out jews, who they blamed for the death of the non existent jesus.

Try again :grn
Dax
Jaguar

Postby Bongalong » 18 Jan 2019, 14:35

Dax wrote:
Bongalong wrote:

Bullshit!

lets see you support your denial, name a war, conflict or invasion which hasn't been instigated, or involved god nutters in recorded history. In fact name a country god nutter haven't violently invaded and tried to wipe out the indigenous populations.

Why don't you tell us how the world got made without religion?
"Oi!"
Bongalong
Warthog

Postby Bongalong » 18 Jan 2019, 14:41

Dax wrote:
HBS Guy wrote:WWII.

WW2 was all about religion, seems you've never read Mein Kamp or any of Hitlers speeches, the great christian Aryian race or the fact catholic Germany wanted to wipe out jews, who they blamed for the death of the non existent jesus.

Try again :grn

----->> ww2 was about democracy failing by allowing the election of a nutbag !

"Look out democracy!", was the lesson!
"Oi!"
Bongalong
Warthog

Postby Dax » 18 Jan 2019, 15:06

Bongalong wrote:
Dax wrote:
Bongalong wrote:

Bullshit!

Why don't you tell us how the world got made without religion?

You mean the deranged claims on the bible and other god/s religions :rofl :rofl :rofl . Or the world of economic and profit growth and environmental destruction religions, sure it made a difference to the world, we see that in all the wars, collapsing ecology and envrionment.

Bongalong wrote:----->> ww2 was about democracy failing by allowing the election of a nutbag !

"Look out democracy!", was the lesson! ]

History certainly isn't in your understanding is it, you need to read the facts. WW2 was all about creating a christian ayrian race controlling the world and that is what all Hitlers speeches were about, he claimed it was gods will that ayrians were fare superior to all other humans and he fought the war on these grounds.

Here's just a couple of links supporting what I say, my you people are so ignorant of reality, which fits with being simple clones. All you can do is believe the lies fed to you by your ideological masters, which is why we have so many wars and the planets ecological life is collapsing around us. There are many other links and all god nutter leaders use their religion to con the people to follow them, when you have stupidly dumb clones they just follow like lambs to the slaughter and it's happening today, but this is the real final solution, which nature will win easily and ideological humans will lose out completely.

https://www.thoughtco.com/adolf-hitler- ... tes-248193

https://www.nobeliefs.com/speeches.htm

http://www.cbn.com/700club/features/chu ... andhitler/
Dax
Jaguar

Postby Bongalong » 18 Jan 2019, 15:45

Your just a dodgy idiot mate!
"Oi!"
Bongalong
Warthog

Postby HBS Guy » 18 Jan 2019, 17:24

Hitler wasn’t religious, the persecution of the Jews was to capitalise on the emotions raised by Ludendkorf’s “Dochstoss” comment.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby Dax » 19 Jan 2019, 04:01

HBS Guy wrote:Hitler wasn’t religious, the persecution of the Jews was to capitalise on the emotions raised by Ludendkorf’s “Dochstoss” comment.

That's what the religious and apologists say about everyone who they want to disown, yet he protected the churches and they supported him throughout the war. His speeches and mein kamp are the truth, not the denials of the most evil cult on the planet. Keep supporting and apologising for religion, all cloned fools do.
Dax
Jaguar

Next

Return to Politics