Dutton threatens councils over Australia Day date change

Discuss politics and current affairs here.

Hot topic: The scourge of negative gearing, Friends of the NBN and wrecking lives.  The economy and Poll tracking— all the polls. New! ELECTION 2016, Issues and Leaders

Special Feature 1: Peter Costello and our current deficits.
Special Feature 2: Dr Turnbull and the wrong NBN prescription
Special Feature 3: The Denigration of science, technology and education.
Forum rules
The rules for this board are in the Charter of Moderation. Politics is for serious discussion of politics, economics and current affairs.

Postby mothra » 09 Nov 2018, 00:29

Any council that tries to move Australia Day citizenship ceremonies from January 26 will be punished, Home Affairs Minister Peter Dutton says.

The federal government has threatened to strip several NSW councils of the right to hold Australia Day citizenship ceremonies amid plans to hold them a day earlier.

Hawkesbury City is reportedly considering holding its ceremonies on the evening of January 25 because of the daytime heat.

Kempsey and Bellingen shire councils have similar plans, according to Macquarie Media.

Home Affairs Minister Peter Dutton suggested the move was political rather than weather related and warned them against changing the day.

"I don't care whether people are seeking to move it in an obvious way or playing games - the intent is very clear," he told Sydney's 2GB on Thursday.

"Australians don't want councils playing politics with these issues."

Mr Dutton said ratepayers expected Australia Day to be "respectful" to those new citizens who consider it one of the proudest days of their lives.

"We're not going to have that disrupted by this nonsense," he said.

"The rules are pretty clear. If they're not going to abide by it, then they'll find themselves without the ability to conduct the ceremony."

Last month, Byron Shire Council backed down on its plan to move its citizenship ceremonies from January 26 after threats from Prime Minister Scott Morrison.

He called the move "indulgent self-loathing".

Indulgent self-loathing doesn’t make Australia stronger. Being honest about the past does. Our modern Aus nation began on January 26, 1788. That’s the day to reflect on what we’ve accomplished, become, still to achieve. We can do this sensitively, respectfully, proudly, together. https://t.co/uM59Lwrr1p

— Scott Morrison (@ScottMorrisonMP) September 23, 2018
Citizenship Minister David Coleman later wrote to all council mayors to reinforce that citizenship ceremonies should be apolitical, bipartisan, non-commercial and secular.

https://www.sbs.com.au/news/dutton-threatens-councils-over-australia-day-date-change?fbclid=IwAR1hjkCgIlOebJhn0JK-Cz6TLdXfsiWa19YzkoK8dsZR9tsgZKo23Ss-4Yw
mothra
Duck

spamone: Animal

Re: Dutton threatens councils over Australia Day date change

Postby johnsmith » 09 Nov 2018, 08:26

ALL the councils should unite and change the day, make Dutton eat his words
FD.
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.
johnsmith
Mastodon

Postby greggerypeccary » 09 Nov 2018, 08:59

Dutton the Dick.
greggerypeccary
Jaguar

Postby Auggie » 09 Nov 2018, 17:06

Councils have no power under the constitution to make any such changes, nor should they.
The taxpayer - that's someone who works for the Federal Government but doesn't have to take the civil service examination. - Ronald Reagan.
Auggie
Pain in the Butt

Postby Aussie » 09 Nov 2018, 17:32

Auggie wrote:Councils have no power under the constitution to make any such changes, nor should they.

While they have the delegated power to hold naturalisation ceremonies, they can (currently) hold them whenever they like.
Aussie
Minister for Foreign Affairs

Postby Auggie » 09 Nov 2018, 17:42

Aussie wrote:
Auggie wrote:Councils have no power under the constitution to make any such changes, nor should they.

While they have the delegated power to hold naturalisation ceremonies, they can (currently) hold them whenever they like.

Parliament has power to override them, hence Dutton's threat.
The taxpayer - that's someone who works for the Federal Government but doesn't have to take the civil service examination. - Ronald Reagan.
Auggie
Pain in the Butt

Postby Aussie » 09 Nov 2018, 17:54

Auggie wrote:
Aussie wrote:

It has power to remove the delegation, yes.
Aussie

Postby Auggie » 09 Nov 2018, 18:02

Aussie wrote:
Auggie wrote:
Aussie wrote:

Ergo, I was and am correct.

End of discussion.
Auggie
Pain in the Butt

Postby mothra » 09 Nov 2018, 18:21

Auggie wrote:
Aussie wrote:
Auggie wrote:
Aussie wrote:

End of discussion.

End of discussion? It is the discussion!

What precisely do you think you've achieved other than paraphrasing the OP?
mothra
Duck

Postby Auggie » 09 Nov 2018, 18:27

mothra wrote:
Auggie wrote:
Aussie wrote:
Auggie wrote:
Aussie wrote:

End of discussion.

End of discussion? It is the discussion!

What precisely do you think you've achieved other than paraphrasing the OP?

Nothing. I'm merely stating a fact.
Auggie
Pain in the Butt

Postby Aussie » 09 Nov 2018, 18:51

Auggie wrote:
Aussie wrote:
Auggie wrote:
Aussie wrote:

End of discussion.

And where will Dutton go if all the Local Governments tell him to stick the naturalisation delegation up his clacker?
Aussie

Postby Auggie » 09 Nov 2018, 18:55

Aussie wrote:
Auggie wrote:
Aussie wrote:
Auggie wrote:
Aussie wrote:

End of discussion.

And where will Dutton go if all the Local Governments tell him to stick the naturalisation delegation up his clacker?

They'll simply pass legislation to stop it from happening, or they'll withhold funding from local councils.
Auggie
Pain in the Butt

Postby Aussie » 09 Nov 2018, 18:58

They don't fund LGs. What makes you think that LGAs give a stuff about having those ceremonies? If I was a Mayor, I'd be saying "Great, one less ribbon cutting crap I have to do.....let's have a Barbie!"
Aussie

Postby Auggie » 09 Nov 2018, 18:59

Aussie wrote:They don't fund LGs. What makes you think that LGAs give a stuff about having those ceremonies? If I was a Mayor, I'd be saying "Great, one less ribbon cutting crap I have to do.....let's have a Barbie!"

Indirectly they do, through the States.

EDIT: if they don't give a stuff, then why the outrage?
Auggie
Pain in the Butt

Postby Aussie » 09 Nov 2018, 19:04

Auggie wrote:
Aussie wrote:They don't fund LGs. What makes you think that LGAs give a stuff about having those ceremonies? If I was a Mayor, I'd be saying "Great, one less ribbon cutting crap I have to do.....let's have a Barbie!"

So.....do you really reckon that Dutton is gonna risk political suicide by somehow starving LGs of funds? The citizens in marginal seats will quickly sort that crap out.

The outrage is Dutton's.
Aussie

Postby Auggie » 09 Nov 2018, 19:05

Aussie wrote:
Auggie wrote:

So.....do you really reckon that Dutton is gonna risk political suicide by somehow starving LGs of funds? The citizens in marginal seats will quickly sort that crap out.

The outrage is Dutton's.

There is a thread about this issue on Polanimal.

Who'd have thunk it?
Auggie
Pain in the Butt

Postby johnsmith » 09 Nov 2018, 19:23

Auggie wrote:
Aussie wrote:
Auggie wrote:
Aussie wrote:

End of discussion.

no, you weren't. You said council have no power to change dates. They do, the power is given to them by the federal govt. There is currently no requirement that it be held on australia day. My wife was certainly not naturalised on Australia day . Dutton is just chest thumping
FD.
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.
johnsmith
Mastodon

Return to Politics