Democrats win house

Discuss politics and current affairs here.

Hot topic: The scourge of negative gearing, Friends of the NBN and wrecking lives.  The economy and Poll tracking— all the polls. New! ELECTION 2016, Issues and Leaders

Special Feature 1: Peter Costello and our current deficits.
Special Feature 2: Dr Turnbull and the wrong NBN prescription
Special Feature 3: The Denigration of science, technology and education.
Forum rules
The rules for this board are in the Charter of Moderation. Politics is for serious discussion of politics, economics and current affairs.

Re: Democrats win house

Postby Aussie » 08 Nov 2018, 15:32

The Judicial branch should be apolitical.

Indeed, but is it? Think Bart O'Kavanaugh (the most recent debacle.)
Aussie
Minister for Foreign Affairs

Postby johnsmith » 08 Nov 2018, 15:58

Texan wrote:I pay taxes for road maintenance, trains can have their riders pay for it, planes and cell towers are private enterprise, and illegal aliens can go back the same way they came here. Government can control their spending just like I do.

you don't use the products freighted by rail, ship or plane?
the systems used to move people and freight that use this infrastructure can't be built just for when you use it. Cell towers are private, but the satellites they use are often govt. run/operated. The GPS you use in your car most likely operates of a govt, run satellite. The trains are private but the rail lines often aren't, the ports are often govt owned or subsidised.

Govt. either pays, or subsidises all these things so that everyone can benefit, irrespective of whether or not everyone uses it. Why would those illegals go back if there was no border patrol, police, national guard or army to keep them back? That fence you want built, those guards you want to stop them, all cost money.

I've mentioned a couple of the bigger ticket items, but there are thousands of items that governments have to pay for just to allow society to function. Schools, Hospitals, Veterans, pensions, social security, community services, sewer lines, storms water lines, water treatment plants, public, lighting, parks etc etc all cost money.

Keep in mind that I'm speaking from an Aussie perspective! I have no idea what the US govt does or does not pay for.
FD.
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.
johnsmith
Mastodon

spamone: Animal

Postby johnsmith » 08 Nov 2018, 16:04

SethBullock wrote:It means that the legislation President Trump signs has to be passed by both houses of Congress before it can get to his desk. Whether or not anything gets to his desk depends on whether or not the Democratic House and the Republican Senate can compromise on anything. If they can, fine. If they can't, they will pass nothing except spending bills that keep the government running (with the requisite drama and political fingerpointing and posturing). Meanwhile, President Trump will conduct foreign policy, and he will appoint judges, and he will use his executive powers that are within his scope.

John, Congress is supposed to be the political branch. The Judicial branch should be apolitical. The Executive branch is supposed to carry out the laws passed by Congress primarily, and so, the President should really only be somewhat political. Perhaps now Trump can just let Congress fight the political battles (like they're supposed to), rather than leaning on him to lead everything. We'll see.

cheers

SethBullock wrote:We will. America is a politically divided country. And although we may fight among ourselves, their is still an awful lot of glue sticking us together. Anyone who underestimates the underlying unity of this country is making a mistake.

:thumb
FD.
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.
johnsmith
Mastodon

Postby SethBullock » 08 Nov 2018, 16:10

Aussie wrote:

Judge Bret Kavanaugh was not a debacle.

Sen. Diane Feinstein was a disgrace. The only "debacle" were the people who tried to smear and destroy a man without a shred of evidence that could be even remotely corroborated.

Furthermore, Judge Kavanaugh is exactly the type of judge who is apolitical.
"Humility must always be the portion of any man who receives acclaim earned in the blood of his followers and the sacrifices of his friends." - Dwight D Eisenhower
SethBullock
Pitbull terrier

Postby Aussie » 08 Nov 2018, 16:37

SethBullock wrote:
Aussie wrote:

Sen. Diane Feinstein was a disgrace. The only "debacle" were the people who tried to smear and destroy a man without a shred of evidence that could be even remotely corroborated.

No-one offered up by Trump can possibly be apolitical. No-one. Today's sacking is the latest proof of that. Sessions did not do what Trump expected of him. Bart did himself no favours in that Senate Committee appearance.
Aussie

Postby SethBullock » 08 Nov 2018, 17:58

Aussie wrote:
SethBullock wrote:
Aussie wrote:

No-one offered up by Trump can possibly be apolitical. No-one. Today's sacking is the latest proof of that. Sessions did not do what Trump expected of him. Bart did himself no favours in that Senate Committee appearance.

His name is Brett.

His record of judicial reasoning is unassailable. He is a contextualist, meaning that he goes by the letter of the Constitution above all else. His record is that he puts his personal politics in a box and leaves them at home when he goes to work.

Secretary Mattis is apolitical. He has probably the most unshakable character in the whole administration.
"Humility must always be the portion of any man who receives acclaim earned in the blood of his followers and the sacrifices of his friends." - Dwight D Eisenhower
SethBullock
Pitbull terrier

Postby Sallyally » 08 Nov 2018, 18:03

HBS Guy wrote:“trying to reign in the deficit.” A deficit the orange douchebag made bigger by pushing through a huge tax cut the country can’t really afford.

The right wing clowns in Canberra also want to hand big tax cuts to people who don’t need it then close programs for the poor, the abused etc etc to pay the deficit.

Yep. Doesn't make sense does, it that the thrifty party should be responsible for increasing the deficit. I think it's that old financial chestnut " trickle down economics" reRing its ugly head again.
Sallyally
puppy

Postby Aussie » 08 Nov 2018, 18:14

His name is Brett.

Aka....Bart O'Kavanaugh according to his High School best mate.........Bart who passed out in his (the mate's) car and was unable to even open the car door.

I stand by my comment that Donald would never have offered anyone for appointment whom he had the expectation would not do his bidding. Look at what Trump does to those he anoints and then fail to be his loyal factotum. Sessions being the latest example.
Aussie

Postby SethBullock » 08 Nov 2018, 18:29

Aussie wrote:
His name is Brett.

Aka....Bart O'Kavanaugh according to his High School best mate.........Bart who passed out in his (the mate's) car and was unable to even open the car door.

I stand by my comment that Donald would never have offered anyone for appointment whom he had the expectation would not do his bidding. Look at what Trump does to those he anoints and then fail to be his loyal factotum. Sessions being the latest example.

He can't fire a Supreme Court Justice.

And what did you expect? Did you expect him to appoint someone with a record of left wing judicial activism?

I'd be concerned if he appointed some personal lawyer friend of his. But Kavanaugh was experienced and supremely qualified, with a record of following the Constitution. Now that he's confirmed to this lifetime appointment, he "owes" nothing to this President, nor is he answerable to him.
SethBullock
Pitbull terrier

Postby Aussie » 08 Nov 2018, 19:06

SethBullock wrote:
Aussie wrote:
His name is Brett.

And what did you expect? Did you expect him to appoint someone with a record of left wing judicial activism?

I'd be concerned if he appointed some personal lawyer friend of his. But Kavanaugh was experienced and supremely qualified, with a record of following the Constitution. Now that he's confirmed to this lifetime appointment, he "owes" nothing to this President, nor is he answerable to him.

Not after the mid-term results. While Donald held both Houses, he could (and would in my admitted very unfavourable opinion of the bloke as a human being) move to impeach.

There is no way Donald would offer up anyone he suspected would not support him politically.
Aussie

Postby SethBullock » 09 Nov 2018, 03:23

Aussie wrote:
SethBullock wrote:
Aussie wrote:
His name is Brett.

Not after the mid-term results. While Donald held both Houses, he could (and would in my admitted very unfavourable opinion of the bloke as a human being) move to impeach.

There is no way Donald would offer up anyone he suspected would not support him politically.

The Supreme Court does not try or convict in impeachment proceedings.
SethBullock
Pitbull terrier

Postby Aussie » 09 Nov 2018, 12:04

Yes, I know. That is why I referred to the Houses....who can impeach.
Aussie

Postby SethBullock » 09 Nov 2018, 13:14

Aussie wrote:

Aussie, the midterms and impeachment are irrelevant to the Supreme Court. Justice Kavanaugh cannot help President Trump if he's impeached.
SethBullock
Pitbull terrier

Postby Aussie » 09 Nov 2018, 13:34

SethBullock wrote:
Aussie wrote:

Aussie, the midterms and impeachment are irrelevant to the Supreme Court. Justice Kavanaugh cannot help President Trump if he's impeached.

I was referring to Bart being impeached.
Aussie

Postby SethBullock » 09 Nov 2018, 17:14

Aussie wrote:
SethBullock wrote:
Aussie wrote:

I was referring to Bart being impeached.

Justice Brett Kavanaugh is not going to be impeached.

There is nothing to impeach him on.
SethBullock
Pitbull terrier

Postby Aussie » 09 Nov 2018, 17:38

Not even perjury?
Aussie

Previous

Return to Politics