Democrats win house

Discuss politics and current affairs here.

Hot topic: The scourge of negative gearing, Friends of the NBN and wrecking lives.  The economy and Poll tracking— all the polls. New! ELECTION 2016, Issues and Leaders

Special Feature 1: Peter Costello and our current deficits.
Special Feature 2: Dr Turnbull and the wrong NBN prescription
Special Feature 3: The Denigration of science, technology and education.
Forum rules
The rules for this board are in the Charter of Moderation. Politics is for serious discussion of politics, economics and current affairs.

Democrats win house

Postby johnsmith » 07 Nov 2018, 15:39

US midterm elections: Democrats projected to win the House, Republicans to retain the Senate

Can one of our American friends please explain what exactly that means and how it's likely to affect Thrumpy?

I'm afraid that I'm a bit clueless when it comes to US politics. :?
FD.
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.
johnsmith
Rhinocerus

spamone: Animal

Re: Democrats win house

Postby hatty » 07 Nov 2018, 15:50

me too
hatty
Feral cat

Postby Texan » 07 Nov 2018, 16:00

It means the House will be generating all kinds of useless drama and Trump will have a really hard time getting any legislation passed for the next 2 years. The Senate gains mean that Trump will have a much easier time with judicial appointments.
Texan
Feral cat

Postby Aussie » 07 Nov 2018, 16:07

Texan wrote:It means the House will be generating all kinds of useless drama and Trump will have a really hard time getting any legislation passed for the next 2 years. The Senate gains mean that Trump will have a much easier time with judicial appointments.

What message should Trump take from the outcome?
Aussie
Minister for Foreign Affairs

Postby johnsmith » 07 Nov 2018, 16:14

Texan wrote:It means the House will be generating all kinds of useless drama and Trump will have a really hard time getting any legislation passed for the next 2 years. The Senate gains mean that Trump will have a much easier time with judicial appointments.

thanks
FD.
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.
johnsmith
Rhinocerus

Postby Aussie » 07 Nov 2018, 16:19

And, prima facie, can more easily fend off ultimate impeachment. But......he is now vulnerable to the issue about his own tax returns.

They got Al Capone on tax. Maybe Trump goes down the same gurgler.
Aussie
Minister for Foreign Affairs

Postby johnsmith » 07 Nov 2018, 16:19

Texan wrote:It means the House will be generating all kinds of useless drama and Trump will have a really hard time getting any legislation passed for the next 2 years.

isn't that how it's supposed to work? I know it is here. Poor legislation is stopped, good legislation gets passed. It's up to whoever introduces the legislation to present a convincing argument and sell it. If s/he can't do that then it probably wasn't very good legislation to start with.

I prefer that, despite all the partisan crap, to someone who just rubber stamps everything. If all you want is a rubber stamp then why have a senate at all.
FD.
johnsmith
Rhinocerus

Postby Texan » 07 Nov 2018, 16:30

Usually no legislation is a good thing. I’ll gladly take it. In the past, Republicans would cave at budget time and spend too much. The last Omnibus bill was no exception. I don’t think Trump will cave so easily next time. I hope he will go with the shutdown and use it as an issue in 2020. Our government needs a good shrinking and he is confident that the media can’t turn the public to fault him for trying to reign in the deficit.
Texan
Feral cat

Postby hatty » 07 Nov 2018, 17:29

to seth and texan.......

cheers guys....... i'm just trying to make sense of it all.

stick around
hatty
Feral cat

Postby HBS Guy » 07 Nov 2018, 18:52

“trying to reign in the deficit.” A deficit the orange douchebag made bigger by pushing through a huge tax cut the country can’t really afford.

The right wing clowns in Canberra also want to hand big tax cuts to people who don’t need it then close programs for the poor, the abused etc etc to pay the deficit.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby SethBullock » 08 Nov 2018, 06:36

hatty wrote:to seth and texan.......

stick around

I’m working, and you guys are probably sleeping. My long and wordy opinion is forthcoming, don’t worry.
"Humility must always be the portion of any man who receives acclaim earned in the blood of his followers and the sacrifices of his friends." - Dwight D Eisenhower
SethBullock
Pitbull terrier

Postby Texan » 08 Nov 2018, 09:55

SethBullock wrote:

stick around

I’m working, and you guys are probably sleeping. My long and wordy opinion is forthcoming, don’t worry.

Wind bag.
Texan
Feral cat

Postby hatty » 08 Nov 2018, 10:30

Texan wrote:
SethBullock wrote:

stick around

Wind bag.

:bgrin :bgrin :bgrin
hatty
Feral cat

Postby Texan » 08 Nov 2018, 11:18

HBS Guy wrote:“trying to reign in the deficit.” A deficit the orange douchebag made bigger by pushing through a huge tax cut the country can’t really afford.

The right wing clowns in Canberra also want to hand big tax cuts to people who don’t need it then close programs for the poor, the abused etc etc to pay the deficit.

When you are trying to make your budget work, do you cut your spending or do you take more money from other people? The money I make is my money and giving me a tax cut lets me keep more of my money.

Besides, Trump lowering the tax rates hasn't decreased the revenues to the government. Lower tax rates encourage increased business that pay more revenues, even at a lower rate. There is a level of taxation that is fair. Raising taxes too much causes people to horde money and avoid taxes and lowering taxes too much is anarchy. Don't assume that higher rates will always increase revenue. Just look at all of the millionaires leaving high tax states in America for low tax states or even to other countries. New York and California are hemorrhaging tax payers and trading them for illegal aliens for their future Democrat votes. California can barely operate now.
Texan
Feral cat

Postby johnsmith » 08 Nov 2018, 11:55

Texan wrote:When you are trying to make your budget work, do you cut your spending or do you take more money from other people?

you don't cut your income stream
FD.
johnsmith
Rhinocerus

Postby Texan » 08 Nov 2018, 11:59

johnsmith wrote:
Texan wrote:When you are trying to make your budget work, do you cut your spending or do you take more money from other people?

Tax revenues haven't decreased. The Omnibus is the problem.
Texan
Feral cat

Postby Sprintcyclist » 08 Nov 2018, 13:39

Texan wrote:
HBS Guy wrote:“trying to reign in the deficit.” A deficit the orange douchebag made bigger by pushing through a huge tax cut the country can’t really afford.

When you are trying to make your budget work, do you cut your spending or do you take more money from other people? The money I make is my money and giving me a tax cut lets me keep more of my money.

Besides, Trump lowering the tax rates hasn't decreased the revenues to the government. Lower tax rates encourage increased business that pay more revenues, even at a lower rate. There is a level of taxation that is fair. Raising taxes too much causes people to horde money and avoid taxes and lowering taxes too much is anarchy. Don't assume that higher rates will always increase revenue. Just look at all of the millionaires leaving high tax states in America for low tax states or even to other countries. New York and California are hemorrhaging tax payers and trading them for illegal aliens for their future Democrat votes. California can barely operate now.

I agree 100% with the bolded big font areas .

I don't know about New York and Californias financial situations. If you are losing tax payers and gaining illegals your finances will deteriorate.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/thomasdelbeccaro/2018/04/19/the-top-four-reasons-california-is-unsustainable/#742c46ab3a23
yes, seems california is not so good.
Sprintcyclist
Pitbull terrier

Postby johnsmith » 08 Nov 2018, 13:43

Texan wrote:
johnsmith wrote:

Tax revenues haven't decreased YET. There is always a sugar rush when tax cuts are first introduced, the problem is the rush from the tax cuts soon wears off, and then your revenue takes a hit.

We had tax cuts during our boom period prior to the GFC ... then the GFC hit, and revenue crashed. We've had a structural deficit since. No politician since has had the balls to reinstate the tax cuts. Why would they, it's political suicide.

Trickle down is a myth.
FD.
johnsmith
Rhinocerus

Postby mothra » 08 Nov 2018, 13:50

Lesson to men, if you tell us to get back in the kitchen, we'll take the fucking house.
mothra
Duck

Postby hatty » 08 Nov 2018, 13:50

what JS said
hatty
Feral cat

Postby hatty » 08 Nov 2018, 13:51

mothra wrote:Lesson to men, if you tell us to get back in the kitchen, we'll take the fucking house.

oh and how i know it haha
hatty
Feral cat

Postby Texan » 08 Nov 2018, 13:52

johnsmith wrote:
Texan wrote:
johnsmith wrote:

Tax revenues haven't decreased YET. There is always a sugar rush when tax cuts are first introduced, the problem is the rush from the tax cuts soon wears off, and then your revenue takes a hit.

We had tax cuts during our boom period prior to the GFC ... then the GFC hit, and revenue crashed. We've had a structural deficit since. No politician since has had the balls to reinstate the tax cuts. Why would they, it's political suicide.

Trickle down is a myth.

Automatic and never ending spending increases is immoral. At some point, the government has to stop raising taxes. When is that point? After the next tax increase? I've drawn the line and will never vote for any kind of tax increase on any level of government. I control my spending and government can do the same.
Texan
Feral cat

Postby johnsmith » 08 Nov 2018, 14:02

Texan wrote:Automatic and never ending spending increases is immoral.

no it's not. Spending increases are inevitable.

Texan wrote:At some point, the government has to stop raising taxes

I don't believe anyone said anything about raising taxes. Why not leave them where they are?

Texan wrote: I control my spending and government can do the same.

and yet you (a collective you) complain when the roads are potholed, the trains break down, your mobile signal is crap, the planes can't land, the illegals come to town etc etc etc.

A part of living in modern day society and enjoying all the mod cons is paying taxes.
FD.
johnsmith
Rhinocerus

Postby Texan » 08 Nov 2018, 14:26

johnsmith wrote:
Texan wrote:Automatic and never ending spending increases is immoral.

no it's not. Spending increases are inevitable.

Texan wrote:At some point, the government has to stop raising taxes

I don't believe anyone said anything about raising taxes. Why not leave them where they are?

Texan wrote: I control my spending and government can do the same.

and yet you (a collective you) complain when the roads are potholed, the trains break down, your mobile signal is crap, the planes can't land, the illegals come to town etc etc etc.

A part of living in modern day society and enjoying all the mod cons is paying taxes.

I pay taxes for road maintenance, trains can have their riders pay for it, planes and cell towers are private enterprise, and illegal aliens can go back the same way they came here. Government can control their spending just like I do.
Texan
Feral cat

Postby SethBullock » 08 Nov 2018, 14:57

johnsmith wrote:
US midterm elections: Democrats projected to win the House, Republicans to retain the Senate

Can one of our American friends please explain what exactly that means and how it's likely to affect Thrumpy?

I'm afraid that I'm a bit clueless when it comes to US politics. :?

It means that the legislation President Trump signs has to be passed by both houses of Congress before it can get to his desk. Whether or not anything gets to his desk depends on whether or not the Democratic House and the Republican Senate can compromise on anything. If they can, fine. If they can't, they will pass nothing except spending bills that keep the government running (with the requisite drama and political fingerpointing and posturing). Meanwhile, President Trump will conduct foreign policy, and he will appoint judges, and he will use his executive powers that are within his scope.

John, Congress is supposed to be the political branch. The Judicial branch should be apolitical. The Executive branch is supposed to carry out the laws passed by Congress primarily, and so, the President should really only be somewhat political. Perhaps now Trump can just let Congress fight the political battles (like they're supposed to), rather than leaning on him to lead everything. We'll see.

Aussie wrote:What message should Trump take from the outcome?

Hard to say. The Republicans lost a majority in the House, but they gained a larger majority in the Senate. A divided Congress is nothing new. Other presidents have had to deal with the same situation.

stick around

We will. America is a politically divided country. And although we may fight among ourselves, their is still an awful lot of glue sticking us together. Anyone who underestimates the underlying unity of this country is making a mistake.

Texan wrote:
SethBullock wrote:

Wind bag.

:rofl
"Humility must always be the portion of any man who receives acclaim earned in the blood of his followers and the sacrifices of his friends." - Dwight D Eisenhower
SethBullock
Pitbull terrier

Next

Return to Politics