Does GUN control REALLY works?

Discuss politics and current affairs here.

Hot topic: The scourge of negative gearing, Friends of the NBN and wrecking lives.  The economy and Poll tracking— all the polls. New! ELECTION 2016, Issues and Leaders

Special Feature 1: Peter Costello and our current deficits.
Special Feature 2: Dr Turnbull and the wrong NBN prescription
Special Feature 3: The Denigration of science, technology and education.
.
Forum rules
The rules for this board are in the Charter of Moderation. Politics is for serious discussion of politics, economics and current affairs.

Does GUN control REALLY works?

Postby fisherman » 04 Nov 2018, 20:46

Does GUN control REALLY works?

Let's find out!

Prague, capital of Czechia
Population: 1.281 million (2017)

Gun laws in Czechia:
Firearms ownership has a very long tradition in the country. The English term pistol originated in 15th-century Czech language. The Czech lands have been the manufacturing center (including weapons industry) of Central Europe for over two centuries.

Unlike in most other European countries, the Czech gun legislation also permits a citizen to carry a concealed weapon for self-defense – 240,000 out of some 300,000 legal gun owners have a concealed carry permit.



Adelaide, Australia
Population: 1.277 million (2014)

Gun laws in Australia:
In Australia, Section 12(2) of the Act provides that a person does not have genuine reason for a licence if ‘the Applicant intends to possess the firearm or use the firearm for any of the following reasons:

(a) personal protection or the protection of another person
(b) the protection of property (other than in circumstances constituting a genuine reason as set out in the table to this section.

This prevents a licence being issued for personal protection.



Comparison of crime data:
https://www.numbeo.com/crime/compare_ci ... Comparison

Level of crime
Prague: 19.33%
Adelaide: 31.32% (bigger danger)

Worries home broken and things stolen
Prague, 20.83%
Adelaide: 33.61% (bigger danger)

Worries attacked
Prague: 17.75%
Adelaide: 28.59% (bigger danger)

Problem violent crimes such as assault and armed robbery
Prague: 14.02%
Adelaide: 30.91% (double the chance of being assaulted or robbed with a gun)


Image
fisherman
 

Re: Does GUN control REALLY works?

Postby Aussie » 04 Nov 2018, 21:19

Ha!!!!!! I just did the "improve the data" thing.....twice.....so I assume I can do it multiple times.....as many as I want to skew the outcome.

That makes that source very, very, very unreliable Fisherman.

:bgrin
User avatar
Aussie
Minister for Foreign Affairs
 
Posts: 7122
Joined: 13 Mar 2010, 18:25

Re: Does GUN control REALLY works?

Postby johnsmith » 04 Nov 2018, 21:51

funny how they have stats for everything except murder

I wonder why? :roll :roll
FD.
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.
User avatar
johnsmith
Rhinocerus
 
Posts: 6414
Joined: 25 Sep 2017, 22:39
spamone: Animal

Re: Does GUN control REALLY works?

Postby Aussie » 04 Nov 2018, 22:22

johnsmith wrote:funny how they have stats for everything except murder

I wonder why? :roll :roll


How many times did you "improve the data?"

:thumb
User avatar
Aussie
Minister for Foreign Affairs
 
Posts: 7122
Joined: 13 Mar 2010, 18:25

Re: Does GUN control REALLY works?

Postby pinkeye » 05 Nov 2018, 03:53

SEE? you can't believe one thing, not a single thing you read on-line, if not corroborated elsewhere.
I have to laugh at some of the outrageous claims we are subjected to daily. Like from our PM, for example. From Trump, Putin, and all the political lobbyists. You simply cannot believe a word anyone says, when they claim to have the data.

Crap on your houses.


You want to know something..?? too bad. I have NEVER looked up Wkipedia. And never intend to. I make up my own mind, from what little I can glean from the news. All POLITICIANS are liars. That is something I have gleaned. ( oh and I do know how to research law in law libraries )


Trump? well, what can you say? he gives Putin a run for his money.

Personally I'm for personal ownership of protective weapons, in principle. The devil is in the detail.
sleeping is good for you
User avatar
pinkeye
Jaguar
 
Posts: 2135
Joined: 01 Oct 2017, 21:59
spamone: Animal

Re: Does GUN control REALLY works?

Postby Bongalong » 05 Nov 2018, 13:13

Who thinks we should all make pinkeye the authority on all statistics :roll ?
Free what?
Bongalong
mountain lion
 
Posts: 678
Joined: 25 Jun 2018, 12:48
spamone: Animal

Re: Does GUN control REALLY works?

Postby pinkeye » 05 Nov 2018, 23:10

well :bgrin

if the premise starts with... you cannot believe anything you are told.... based on stats. :thumb
sleeping is good for you
User avatar
pinkeye
Jaguar
 
Posts: 2135
Joined: 01 Oct 2017, 21:59
spamone: Animal

Re: Does GUN control REALLY works?

Postby Texan » 05 Nov 2018, 23:50

My favorite comparison is El Paso, TX and Juarez, Mexico. The 2 cities are divided by a knee deep river. They have opposite gun laws. El Paso is by far the safer place with open and concealed carry legal. It seems that every time the mayor of Juarez tries to stop crime he is executed by the cartels.
User avatar
Texan
Feral cat
 
Posts: 221
Joined: 21 Oct 2018, 14:38
spamone: Animal

Re: Does GUN control REALLY works?

Postby Cracky » 06 Nov 2018, 04:01

fisherman wrote:Does GUN control REALLY works?

Of course, it does. Is there anyone who doesn't believe that?
"A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer." Bruce Lee
User avatar
Cracky
Jack Russell
 
Posts: 138
Joined: 26 Oct 2018, 02:18
spamone: Animal

Re: Does GUN control REALLY works?

Postby Texan » 06 Nov 2018, 04:42

Cracky wrote:
fisherman wrote:Does GUN control REALLY works?

Of course, it does. Is there anyone who doesn't believe that?

I control mine very well.

Gun free zones attract mass shooters. I avoid them as much as possible.
User avatar
Texan
Feral cat
 
Posts: 221
Joined: 21 Oct 2018, 14:38
spamone: Animal

Re: Does GUN control REALLY works?

Postby Cracky » 06 Nov 2018, 05:41

Texan wrote:
Cracky wrote:
fisherman wrote:Does GUN control REALLY works?

Of course, it does. Is there anyone who doesn't believe that?

I control mine very well.

Gun free zones attract mass shooters. I avoid them as much as possible.

There's the key word: CONTROL. Too many people think "gun control" is a law that should or should not be implimented. The law is merely a title that once implimented is expected to enforce the control of guns.. If the law is implemented but control is not enforced then the implementation of the law is useless.

So the answer to the OP question is .... Yes! GUN control REALLY does works. Obviously!
"A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer." Bruce Lee
User avatar
Cracky
Jack Russell
 
Posts: 138
Joined: 26 Oct 2018, 02:18
spamone: Animal

Re: Does GUN control REALLY works?

Postby Bongalong » 06 Nov 2018, 11:58

Texan wrote:My favorite comparison is El Paso, TX and Juarez, Mexico. The 2 cities are divided by a knee deep river. They have opposite gun laws. El Paso is by far the safer place with open and concealed carry legal. It seems that every time the mayor of Juarez tries to stop crime he is executed by the cartels.

Lol, I think you're missing the fact South America is on the other side of the border.... :tweed
Free what?
Bongalong
mountain lion
 
Posts: 678
Joined: 25 Jun 2018, 12:48
spamone: Animal

Re: Does GUN control REALLY works?

Postby Bongalong » 06 Nov 2018, 12:00

Cracky wrote:
Texan wrote:
Cracky wrote:
fisherman wrote:Does GUN control REALLY works?

Of course, it does. Is there anyone who doesn't believe that?

I control mine very well.

Gun free zones attract mass shooters. I avoid them as much as possible.

There's the key word: CONTROL. Too many people think "gun control" is a law that should or should not be implimented. The law is merely a title that once implimented is expected to enforce the control of guns.. If the law is implemented but control is not enforced then the implementation of the law is useless.

So the answer to the OP question is .... Yes! GUN control REALLY does works. Obviously!

As far as semantic debates go that was a pretty good one! :bike :bike :c
Free what?
Bongalong
mountain lion
 
Posts: 678
Joined: 25 Jun 2018, 12:48
spamone: Animal

Re: Does GUN control REALLY works?

Postby hatty » 06 Nov 2018, 12:11

yup....... it can.......... and has

enjoy!

http://www.comedycentral.com.au/the-dai ... whoopdedoo
User avatar
hatty
Feral cat
 
Posts: 248
Joined: 30 Apr 2018, 12:48
spamone: Animal

Re: Does GUN control REALLY works?

Postby Cracky » 06 Nov 2018, 12:46

Bongalong wrote:
Cracky wrote:
Texan wrote:
Cracky wrote:
fisherman wrote:Does GUN control REALLY works?

Of course, it does. Is there anyone who doesn't believe that?

I control mine very well.

Gun free zones attract mass shooters. I avoid them as much as possible.

There's the key word: CONTROL. Too many people think "gun control" is a law that should or should not be implimented. The law is merely a title that once implimented is expected to enforce the control of guns.. If the law is implemented but control is not enforced then the implementation of the law is useless.

So the answer to the OP question is .... Yes! GUN control REALLY does works. Obviously!

As far as semantic debates go that was a pretty good one! :bike :bike :c

If I were bent on semantic correction I would have pointed out that combining "does" with "works" is a grammatical mishap. The point I hope you would have understood is that introducing a law means nothing if it isn't enforced. But if it is enforced then it has a good chance of achieving its goal.
"A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer." Bruce Lee
User avatar
Cracky
Jack Russell
 
Posts: 138
Joined: 26 Oct 2018, 02:18
spamone: Animal

Re: Does GUN control REALLY works?

Postby Bongalong » 06 Nov 2018, 13:38

Cracky wrote:
Bongalong wrote:
Cracky wrote:
Texan wrote:
Cracky wrote:
fisherman wrote:Does GUN control REALLY works?

Of course, it does. Is there anyone who doesn't believe that?

I control mine very well.

Gun free zones attract mass shooters. I avoid them as much as possible.

There's the key word: CONTROL. Too many people think "gun control" is a law that should or should not be implimented. The law is merely a title that once implimented is expected to enforce the control of guns.. If the law is implemented but control is not enforced then the implementation of the law is useless.

So the answer to the OP question is .... Yes! GUN control REALLY does works. Obviously!

As far as semantic debates go that was a pretty good one! :bike :bike :c

If I were bent on semantic correction I would have pointed out that combining "does" with "works" is a grammatical mishap. The point I hope you would have understood is that introducing a law means nothing if it isn't enforced. But if it is enforced then it has a good chance of achieving its goal.

I understood the point you hoped I would... I will use the rest for personal growth :bike :bike
Free what?
Bongalong
mountain lion
 
Posts: 678
Joined: 25 Jun 2018, 12:48
spamone: Animal

Re: Does GUN control REALLY works?

Postby Bongalong » 06 Nov 2018, 13:40

If the op lost the extra 's' would it then no longer qualify as a grammatical mishap?

:bgrin
Free what?
Bongalong
mountain lion
 
Posts: 678
Joined: 25 Jun 2018, 12:48
spamone: Animal

Re: Does GUN control REALLY works?

Postby Cracky » 06 Nov 2018, 15:22

Bongalong wrote:I understood the point you hoped I would... I will use the rest for personal growth :bike :bike

:bgrin
"A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer." Bruce Lee
User avatar
Cracky
Jack Russell
 
Posts: 138
Joined: 26 Oct 2018, 02:18
spamone: Animal

Re: Does GUN control REALLY works?

Postby Cracky » 06 Nov 2018, 15:24

Bongalong wrote:If the op lost the extra 's' would it then no longer qualify as a grammatical mishap?

:bgrin

Too difficult a question for me. My English is not too good. Maybe if you rephrase it?
"A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer." Bruce Lee
User avatar
Cracky
Jack Russell
 
Posts: 138
Joined: 26 Oct 2018, 02:18
spamone: Animal

Re: Does GUN control REALLY works?

Postby Bongalong » 06 Nov 2018, 15:25

Cracky wrote:
Bongalong wrote:If the op lost the extra 's' would it then no longer qualify as a grammatical mishap?

:bgrin

Too difficult a question for me. My English is not too good. Maybe if you rephrase it?
Nah, can't be f*&^%ed!

:bike :bike :bike
Free what?
Bongalong
mountain lion
 
Posts: 678
Joined: 25 Jun 2018, 12:48
spamone: Animal

Re: Does GUN control REALLY works?

Postby Cracky » 06 Nov 2018, 15:45

Just as well.
"A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer." Bruce Lee
User avatar
Cracky
Jack Russell
 
Posts: 138
Joined: 26 Oct 2018, 02:18
spamone: Animal

Re: Does GUN control REALLY works?

Postby HBS Guy » 06 Nov 2018, 16:13

Bongalong is an entirely self made man. No woman was involved.
User avatar
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia
 
Posts: 49658
Joined: 27 Oct 2009, 15:37

Re: Does GUN control REALLY works?

Postby Cracky » 06 Nov 2018, 16:25

HBS Guy wrote:Bongalong is an entirely self made man. No woman was involved.

That explains the length of his name. A self-propelled bugger.
"A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer." Bruce Lee
User avatar
Cracky
Jack Russell
 
Posts: 138
Joined: 26 Oct 2018, 02:18
spamone: Animal

Re: Does GUN control REALLY works?

Postby DonDeeHippy » 06 Nov 2018, 16:55

Bongalong wrote:
Cracky wrote:
Bongalong wrote:If the op lost the extra 's' would it then no longer qualify as a grammatical mishap?

:bgrin

Too difficult a question for me. My English is not too good. Maybe if you rephrase it?
Nah, can't be f*&^%ed!

:bike :bike :bike

:rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl second best drah reply ever
Bongalong... for some reason women are just so superior to anything that ever existed or will ever exist!
User avatar
DonDeeHippy
Irish wolfhound
 
Posts: 615
Joined: 25 Apr 2018, 21:18
spamone: Animal

Re: Does GUN control REALLY works?

Postby Auggie » 06 Nov 2018, 19:51

Japan has the strictest gun control laws in the world and one of the lowest violent crime rates.

I wonder why?
The taxpayer - that's someone who works for the Federal Government but doesn't have to take the civil service examination. - Ronald Reagan.
Auggie
Pain in the Butt
 
Posts: 2022
Joined: 02 Oct 2017, 18:05
spamone: Animal

Next

Return to Politics

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests